Oresai
01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
:D

How to Curse in Norse

or
Hon madr roman therva Kuaran
(Your mother wears Roman soldier shoes)

by Nara no Jebu

* Editor's note: because of space, this article was shortened, especially in the listing of Nordic words. Consult the sources listed in the last issue under "Norse Names" to improve your vocabulary.

Every good Northman, barbarian or Seaman should know a good curse or three, and in his home tongue. In the Society we all tend to ignore our home tongues for the "common" we speak now, but that is one of the reasons we're Creative Anachronists not Anarchists.

It gives a feeling of periodness to spit at an opponent's feet and say gutturally "Meyla krafla mikli thur syr" or "child born of a long dead sow", and slam down your helmet. I myself have led a few melee charges yelling "Swina bqllr!" (pig penises) and pointing at the enemy.

Here are some phrases in Norse/English for your use, or you can make your own from the list at the end of this article.

"Hon varr Draconian, gamla vis Hruga uskit'r."
I am a Draconian and thou art less than a heap of s__t.

"Gamla lombungr, sugandi toti tik madr."
Thou art morons, sucking at the teat of your bitch dog mother.

"Mikill Wotan! Doni langaspjot viti!"
Praise Odin! They're downwind of us!

This one is my favorite for personal combat:
"Kringlaugd wierd, ein spadi for qvoki ne skeifr drpr munni ne svinhqfdi!"
Gaze upon thy destiny, with this sword I will cleave your lying maggot mouth from your swine head!

I hope you many Northmen can use this lesson in language, even if it is for the purpose of insults. In the saga of Eyrbygga Snarrasonar, Eyrbygga beat a warrior of consumate skill by cursing him while they fought, causing him to get angry and make mistakes. Eigil, in his saga, cursed a bersserker until he was so mad he began to chew on his shield, and with a mighty kick, Eigil drove the shield up though the berserker's skull. Grettis Asmundarsonar cursed an unknown (at the time) warrior from across a river. When they meet, the man is so impressed by his courage, he gives Grettis a long boat and later you find out he was a Hertodi, or the equivalent of a duke.

In the Middle Kingdom I witnessed a fight between two Norsemen, which lasted ten minutes and each minute had about 20 blows. From the time of the "lay on" until the bloody end they called each other everything from "drinker of sheep's piss" to "eater of Axemoor food" (honest!).

Here are some solitary words so you can put together your own memorable curses or use singly for effect.

alicarl fat churl, fatso bacraut asshole
baulufotr cow foot beiskaldi gripe, bitch
blatqnn black tooth blot heathen
bqllr ball, glans penis braudnefr breadnose
brusi he-goat burlufotr clumsy foot
daufi deaf-mute, stupid dofni dopey
dragi slowpoke fretr fart
galti boar (wild) gargan snake
gaugbrojotr grave robber gellir yeller, screamer
gleidr bowlegged griss piglet
haensa chicken halftroll halftroll
hauknefr hawknose hausakljufr skull cleaver
hladhqnd clean hands hqfdi head
hrafnasueltir raven starver (coward) hrodi snot
huglausi cowardly illskaelda plagarizer
inoborna unborn istrumagi fat gut
kamphundr carrion eater kerling old hag
kuensami skirt chaser ledrhals leather neck
lodinkinni shaggy hair lqngubak fishbelly
matarilli food stingy meinfretr stinkfart
merr mare meyla little girl
miklimunnr big, loud mouth mjonefr stingy, thin nose
murtr a small fish musa mouse
oflati dandy, gaudy person ormstunga serpent tongue
oskilgetinn born out of wedlock qlfuss drunkard
rella gripe sipill potlicker
skirja young cow skreyja incompetent
slefja dribbler tik a female dog
tunga tongue vifill beetle
vitskertr shortwit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://housebarra.com/EP/ep04/12norsecurse.html