PDA

View Full Version : Extensive Female-Mediated Gene Flow from Sub-Saharan Africa into Near Eastern Arab Populations

Kamal900
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Am J Hum Genet. 2003 Apr; 72(4): 1058–1064. Published online 2003 Mar 10.

This study is really old, and i would greatly appreciate anyone who can send me a new study regarding the SSA haplogroups of the near eastern Arabs.

Southern Arabs gained control of the Red Sea trade routes in the 12th century b.c., and the first kingdom, Saba, arose in Yemen in ∼800 b.c. As a result, Eritrea and Ethiopia were gradually incorporated into the area of Arab influence. These contacts crystallized in the formation of the Ethio-Sabean state of Daamat on the Tigrean plateau in ∼600 b.c. The archaeological evidence suggests that this is likely to have been the result of small-scale colonization by several Arabian groups (including Sabeans) and acculturation of the indigenous population (Fattovich 1997). This was succeeded, following the decline of Saba and Daamat and several centuries of isolation, by the kingdom of Aksum in ∼a.d. 100, which formed as part of the Roman exchange network extending from Egypt as far as India, trading via the Red Sea port of Adulis. Aksum survived for 800 years and occupied southern Arabia for part of this period. Utilitarian Aksumite pottery has been found in large quantities in deposits from the 5th and 6th centuries in the Yemen Hadramawt, suggesting that there may have been substantial immigration during that period. From the 7th century onward, with the rise of Islam, Muslim communities became established along the coast of Eritrea and Somalia, spreading inland from the late 1st millennium onward (Fattovich 1997). Concomitantly, the Arab slave trade, operating from pre-Islamic times but at its height between a.d. 650 and 1900, carried millions of men and women from the Nile Valley, the Horn of Africa, and the eastern African coast across the Red Sea to Arabia and many more millions across the Sahara (Segal 2001).

mtDNA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180338/table/TB1/?report=previmg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180338/table/TB1/

Y-DNA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180338/table/TB2/?report=previmg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180338/table/TB2/

Human mtDNA and Y-chromosome variation was interpreted within the following phylogeographic framework. Human mtDNA falls into clades L1a–f, L2, L3b, L3d, and L3e, and a paraphyletic cluster L3*, which characterize sub-Saharan Africans (Chen et al. 1995; Watson et al. 1997; Alves-Silva et al. 2000; Salas et al. 2002); and two further clades within L3, namely N and M, which are largely pan-Eurasian and East/South Asian, respectively (Torroni et al. 1994; Kivisild et al. 1999; Quintana-Murci et al. 1999; Richards and Macaulay 2000, 2001; Richards et al. 2000).

For convenience, we refer to African L3 lineages (which do not form a clade) as “L3A” (Rando et al. 1998) and to the entire set of sub-Saharan haplogroups as “L1–L3A.”

Among these is the African haplogroup U6, which is of ancient Eurasian ancestry (since haplogroup U probably evolved in the Near East), but diverged in North Africa over the past 20,000–40,000 years and can therefore be regarded as characteristic of indigenous North Africans (Rando et al. 1998; Macaulay et al. 1999). Its presence in the Near East, therefore, implies gene flow from North Africa.

Two haplogroups, (pre-HV)1 and M1, have a distribution that spans the Red Sea. Haplogroup (pre-HV)1 occurs widely throughout the Near East, reaching highest frequency in Arabia, but is also common in Ethiopia and Somalia (Watson et al. 1997; Richards et al. 2000). Given its close phylogenetic relationship with other Eurasian clusters, this haplogroup probably originated in the Near East and spread later into eastern Africa. Haplogroup M1, however, has been assigned an African origin, despite the facts that (i) all other basal branches of haplogroup M are restricted to South Asia, East Asia, and Australasia, and (ii) the diversity of M in Asia is greater than in Africa (Quintana-Murci et al. 1999). It is restricted to the Near East and north and eastern Africa, concentrated in Somalia and Ethiopia (Watson et al. 1997). It is therefore unclear whether any particular M1 sequence type in the Near East arrived recently from Africa; an Asian origin with back-migration to Africa is possible.

The distribution of mtDNA haplogroups in the Near East and Africa is shown in table 1. Haplogroups L1–L3A have so far been found at highest frequencies in Central Africans and southern African Khoisan speakers, where they comprise ∼100% of extant lineages. For example, the sampled Pygmies include only L1 and L2 lineages. L1–L3A make up 89% of mtDNAs in West Africa, >90% in southern East Africa, ∼70% in Somalia, and ∼55% in Ethiopia.

The reason for the lower frequency of haplogroups L1–L3A in Ethiopia is the presence both of haplogroups (pre-HV)1 and M1 (at high frequencies) and of the west Eurasian haplogroups T, J, U, and HV, which are indicative of substantial gene flow from the Near East.

West Eurasian mtDNAs are elsewhere very rare in sub-Saharan Africa, the main previously discovered examples having entered Nubia from Egypt (Krings et al. 1999) and into the western Sahara from northwest Africa (Rando et al. 1998). In the case of Ethiopia, the west Eurasian types mostly match types in Arabia, with only a couple of exceptions of rare derived types not previously seen elsewhere. Haplogroups (pre-HV)1 and M1 are found primarily both in eastern Africa and the Near East.

Haplogroups L1–L3A in the Near East reach their highest frequency in the Yemen Hadramawt (∼35%). Other Arab populations—Palestinians, Jordanians, Syrians, Iraqis, and Bedouin—have ∼10%–15% of lineages of sub-Saharan African origin. These types are rarely shared between different Arab populations. By contrast, non-Arab Near Eastern populations—Turks, Kurds, Armenians, Azeris, and Georgians—have few or no such lineages, suggesting that gene flow from Africa has been specifically into Arab populations.

We compared the frequency of haplogroups L1–L3A in Jewish communities from the Near East with that in non-Jewish communities residing historically in the same area (table 1). Near Eastern Jewish groups almost entirely lack haplogroups L1–L3A (as, indeed, do Ashkenazi Jews [Thomas et al. 2002]). The only exception is in Jews from Yemen, but, even here, these lineages amount only to a quarter of their frequency in the non-Jewish sample from the Hadramawt. (L1 and L2 types are completely absent.)

By contrast, throughout the Near East, haplogroup A is virtually absent, for example, in Bedouin, Palestinians, and Syrians, as well as in Turks, Kurds, Armenians, Azeris, and Georgians and several Jewish groups (table 2). Haplogroup E is present in both Arab and Jewish populations throughout the Near East, as well as at high frequencies throughout most of Africa (Scozzari et al. 1999, 2001; Underhill et al. 2000; Cruciani et al. 2002).

The mtDNAs of sub-Saharan origin that are present in Near Eastern populations show a striking phylogeographic pattern. They are virtually restricted to Arab populations, occurring at ∼35% in the Yemen Hadramawt and ∼10%–15% in other Arab populations. They are absent or almost so from Turks, Armenians, Azeris, Georgians, and Near Eastern Jews and present at lower levels in Turkish Kurds. In Europe, they are detected at appreciable levels only in regions which experienced Arab rule during the medieval period.

In summary, these results are consistent with mainly female migration from eastern Africa into Arab communities within the last few thousand years. There have been many opportunities for such migrations between eastern Africa and southern Arabia during this period. However, the most likely explanation for the presence of predominantly female lineages of African origin in other parts of the Arab world is that these may trace back to women brought from Africa as part of the Arab slave trade, assimilated into the Arabian population as a result of miscegenation and manumission. Indeed, unlike the situation in the Americas, there are no substantial communities of African descent in the Near East today. This is thought to be because relatively few men—mainly employed in manual labor and military service or castrated and employed as eunuchs—left descendants. Women, by contrast, were imported specifically for the sexual gratification of élite males and for their reproductive potential. The practice of manumission meant that their offspring were born free. Female slaves were, therefore, readily integrated into Islamic society (Lewis 1992; Segal 2001).

More --> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180338/

StonyArabia
02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
The study is old, well it's true that the slave trade might had a role, a lot of these ssa lineages are old and ancient.All Semitic people seem to have ssa lineage and often appears in the maternal line Ashkenazi Jews are not free from it for example. Also this just mtDna and not autosomal, meaning a very small segment of your DNA as whole. Some people have used this study to delegitimize the Palestinian cause. From what I have seen on 23andme based on the Arabs I share with they are Middle Eastern Caucasoid and having about 95% Eurasian mtDna with the Bedouins having unique markers to themselves and the rest seem to be SSA or Asian derived. It's also not true some north middle eastern group do have minor African ancestry like the Abhkaz in the Caucasus and other groups also in the region.

Longbowman
02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
The Caucasians don't have Middle East ancestry and neither do Babylonian Jews, meaning the admixture reached Israel after the first Exodus, but yeah, SSA stronk in southern Arabia.

Yuffayur
02-06-2015, 05:12 PM
The study is old, well it's true that the slave trade might had a role, a lot of these ssa lineages are old and ancient.All Semitic people seem to have ssa lineage and often appears in the maternal line Ashkenazi Jews are not free from it for example.

Why do you use Ashkhenazim as Semitic proxy even if you know that they are 50-60% European, indeed they have L haplogroup just like other Southern euro but in minor percentage.

well it's true that the slave trade might had a role

In Northern Africa yes, but in very less degree in the Middle East.

Also this just mtDna and not autosomal, meaning a very small segment of your DNA as whole..

It surely a small segment but it's more significative than NW african, W and SW Asian and other artificial BS.

Some people have used this study to delegitimize the Palestinian cause..

All MENA and Southern Europeans and some Northern euros have L haplogroup.

the Arabs I share with they are Middle Eastern Caucasoid and having about 95% Eurasian mtDna with the Bedouins having unique markers to themselves and the rest seem to be SSA or Asian derived. .

Source ?

It's also not true some north middle eastern group do have minor African ancestry like the Abhkaz in the Caucasus and other groups also in the region.

Source?

Yuffayur
02-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Lebanese have the highest % of U6 in the Middle East.

http://cdn.eupedia.com/images/content/mtDNA-U6-map.png

The map is approximative I'm sure Atlassian of central Morocco have a similar % with Mozabite. with more regional samples, the map will surely change.

here a map of L.
http://cache.eupedia.com/images/content/mtDNA-L-map.png

it's clearly incorrect for Iberia, and NA, for example the map shows that all NA are +20% but some studies contraddict this, Moroccans from Tetouan were tested and they're only 9-10% L, Moroccans from Oujda have only 14%, Moroccans from El Jadida 25%, Isolated Berbers from Central Morocco 3%, in Chaoui Berbers 6-7% and Mozabites have in some studies about 14-15%, and others 20%, Tunisians from Zriba 8%, Tunisians from Takruna 3% Tunis 20-30% from diverse studies.

North Africa
Haplogroup L is also found at moderate frequencies in North Africa. For example, the various Berber populations have frequencies of haplogroup L lineages that range from 3% to 45%.[15][16] Haplogroup L has also been found at a small frequency of 2.2% in North African Jews from Morocco, Tunisia and Libya. Frequency was the highest in Libyan Jews 3.6%.[17]

West Asia
See also: Archaeogenetics of the Near East
Haplogroup L is also found in West Asia at low to moderate frequencies, most notably in Yemen where frequencies as high as 60% have been reported.[18] It is also found at 15.50% in Bedouins from Israel, 13.68% in Palestinians, 12.55% in Jordan, 9.48% in Iraq, 9.15% in Syria, 6.66% in Saudi Arabia, 2.84% in Lebanon, 2.60% in Druzes from Israel, 2.44% in Kurds and 1.76% in Turks

Nabatea 100-15= 85 so it's impossible for you to have 95% local Eurasian mt-dna lol.
---------------------------

As for Jews, Moroccan ones have 1.34%, Tunisia 2.20% Libya 3.60% Yemen 16.84%
usually Moroccan, Tunisia and Libyan Jews are equal to other Sephardic so I guess other Sephardic have 1-5% with an error marge of 0.5.

anyway these maps I posted are just approximative and the result I posted proved that Eupedia map are very approximative, anyway I hope this will maybe gives you an idea about the repartition of U6 and L.

Kamal900
02-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Why do you use Ashkhenazim as Semitic proxy even if you know that they are 50-60% European, indeed they have L haplogroup just like other Southern euro but in minor percentage.

In Northern Africa yes, but in very less degree in the Middle East.

It surely a small segment but it's more significative than NW african, W and SW Asian and other artificial BS.

All MENA and Southern Europeans and some Northern euros have L haplogroup.

Source ?

Source?

I dont care if i had SSA maternal linegae despite what others in this forum might think of me if i did. Anyway, it isnt something serious for anyone to freak out about this(unlessif you are a OWD or something or you simply look down on blacks). I just posted the study to see other people's opinions about it. What do you think about the study? I know its old so i do apologize, and if you have any genetic study or sheets that can tell the exact percentage of SSA haplogroups in near easterners and etc that would be very helpful.

Longbowman
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
I dont care if i had SSA maternal linegae despite what others in this forum might think of me if i did. Anyway, it isnt something serious for anyone to freak out about this(unlessif you are a OWD or something or you simply look down on blacks). I just posted the study to see other people's opinions about it. What do you think about the study? I know its old so i do apologize, and if you have any genetic study or sheets that can tell the exact percentage of SSA haplogroups in near easterners and etc that would be very helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JVGdg2UsN3jYWgaoxAZu-QsAmuCaq3kT7FvqSXwUsAA/edit#gid=0

Here's your sheet. Very latest calculator too.

Kamal900
02-06-2015, 05:53 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JVGdg2UsN3jYWgaoxAZu-QsAmuCaq3kT7FvqSXwUsAA/edit#gid=0

Here's your sheet. Very latest calculator too.

Aw man, i need permission to access the site.

Longbowman
02-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Aw man, i need permission to access the site.

Whoops. Sent you the link to my working document.

Here's the public version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JVGdg2UsN3jYWgaoxAZu-QsAmuCaq3kT7FvqSXwUsAA/pubhtml

Yuffayur
02-06-2015, 05:58 PM

You don't have to apologize, I was the one who writed in a bad way , anyway I don't care about having or not L, it's just like other haplogroups they can't change a life unless the person is obseded by them, anyway L is not SSA, it's an ancient mt-dna all mt-dna's descend from L lol, so technically it's SSA, because it's originated in Subsaharan Africa, and no since it's found in non-Subsahrans.
I'm very far from being an OWD, I don't care about whiteness and all members here know it.

Kamal900
02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
You don't have to apologize, I was the one who writed in a bad way , anyway I don't care about having or not L, it's just like other haplogroups they can't change a life unless the person is obseded by them, anyway L is not SSA, it's an ancient mt-dna all mt-dna's descend from L lol, so technically it's SSA, because it's originated in Subsaharan Africa, and no since it's found in non-Subsahrans.
I'm very far from being an OWD, I don't care about whiteness and all members here know it.

Anyway, is the L haplogroup in near easterners from east Africans like the Nubians, Dinka and etc or is it from west Africa?

Yuffayur
02-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Anyway, is the L haplogroup in near easterners from east Africans like the Nubians, Dinka and etc or is it from west Africa?

Sometimes yes, in admixed people usually Yemen etc. and the others no, take in consideration that the out-of-africa people had some L, and Neolithic in Syria and Iberia have it so it's not all recent but a part of it yes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wTGcvAMkAaU/TOrdHhZBCbI/AAAAAAAAAdo/oc5uLsDwVJo/s1600/Epipaleolithic%2528pies%2529.png

more L in ancient europe:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wBCrolcqSys/TchbV4mVQ7I/AAAAAAAAAjk/BUvkuOUtfp0/s400/Chalcolithic.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ivHA87vUG_4/TOrc7rLmNCI/AAAAAAAAAdg/pCfXIoApgwE/s400/EarlyUP%2528pies%2529.png

Blood C
02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
The map from Eupedia is outdated.

Boattini et al. 2013 with 865 samples found 0% L anywhere in Italy.

Tuscan samples from Achilli et al 2007 come from only 3 isolated villages: Volterra, Murlo and Casentino.

Total mtdna percentago of L for Campania from Ottoni et al 2011 and Boattini et al 2013 is 0.28 %

randomguy1235
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Antiquated bullshit. There's much better studies/references available now, not sure why you cited this.

Kamal900
02-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Antiquated bullshit. There's much better studies/references available now, not sure why you cited this.

It is old and i do apologize, but longbowman gave me the spread sheets on the SSA admixture on Palestinians and that we're 8.7 percent on average.

Neon Knight
02-07-2015, 04:02 PM
As interesting as this might be, it is one of those threads that does not belong on a European forum.