PDA

View Full Version : 13-year old boy climbs Mt. Everest

Eldritch
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
... and his name is no less than "Romero". :eek:

13-Year-Old Is Youngest to Top Everest

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/05/22/sports/22everest/22everest-articleInline.jpg
Jordan Romero poses in Kathmandu in this April 10, 2010 file photo. The 13-year-old American became the youngest climber to successfully scale Mount Everest.

A 13-year-old American boy became the youngest climber to reach the top of Mount Everest on Saturday, breaking the former record as part of his quest to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents.

A spokesman for Jordan Romero said the boy's team called him by satellite phone from the summit of the world's highest mountain, 29,035 feet above sea level.

''Their dreams have now come true. Everyone sounded unbelievably happy,'' a new statement on Romero's blog said Saturday morning.

The teenager with long curly hair -- who climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa when he was 10 years old -- has said he was inspired by a painting in his school hallway of the seven continents' highest summits.

''Every step I take is finally toward the biggest goal of my life, to stand on top of the world,'' Romero said in an earlier post on his blog.

The record for the youngest climber to scale Everest had been held by Temba Tsheri of Nepal, who reached the peak at age 16.

''I'm just very proud of him,'' Romero's mother told The Associated Press by telephone just before he reached the peak, as she watched his progress online on a live GPS tracker.

When asked what she would say to him once he reached the summit, she started crying: ''I can't really say that. It's just emotional.''

Romero, from Big Bear, Calif., was climbing Everest with his father, his father's girlfriend and three Sherpa guides. He left for the peak from the base camp on the Chinese side.

Everest was Jordan Romero's first challenge above 26,240 feet.

Unlike neighboring Nepal, the other approach to Everest, China has no age limit for climbers. Romero registered with Chinese officials in April, said Zhang Mingxing, secretary general of China Tibet Mountaineering Association.

Expedition website: www.jordanromero.com

Link. (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/05/22/sports/AP-China-Everest-Boy.html?_r=2&hp)

mustangeroo
05-23-2010, 09:56 PM
How much does something like that cost? His daddy must have money to burn.

Eldritch
05-23-2010, 10:04 PM
How much does something like that cost? His daddy must have money to burn.

If you look at his site, almost the first thing you see is a long list of hyperlinks to sponsors' websites.

What I found myself wondering about is, does he carry his schoolbooks in his backpack all the way to the top of each mountain he climbs?

mustangeroo
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
That is cool. Its got to cost a fortune just to get there. Ever look into the price of the gear required? Glad to see capitalism at its best.

RoyBatty
05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
If you look at his site, almost the first thing you see is a long list of hyperlinks to sponsors' websites.

What I found myself wondering about is, does he carry his schoolbooks in his backpack all the way to the top of each mountain he climbs?

Hang on a second, white man with many dollars carry their own baggage?? Surely not :D