PDA

View Full Version : Why do I look Jewish?

MarkGeorgie
02-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Whenever I bring up a picture of myself, my nephews, my cousin or my great great uncle, they always guess Jewish, or 'AJ'. I also have darker skin, even in the middle of winter, and that applies to my cousin and my mother also. Black, or very dark hair also runs in the family as well as 'beaked' noses. I've had people mistake my oldest two nephews for Middle Easterners or Chinese.

I've looked at the family tree of my great great uncle, and found nothing but non-Jewish surnames there. Completely normal English surnames as my immediate family is English. Both my parents are European yet people tell me I don't look fully European. There is no mention of any of my ancestors being Jews. Just English folk. I take after my mother's side, which is why I refer to it. My father is European and looks it. I've even been stopped by the Lubovitch group and they couldn't believe me when I told them I wasn't Jewish. They looked at me like I was crazy.

MarkGeorgie
02-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Anyone?

leisitox
02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I sorry but theres not picture to judge if you look jewish or not :(

MarkGeorgie
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM
[edited]

Trogdor
02-08-2015, 07:01 PM
I typically don't like making generalizations about people looking a particular ethnicity, but from the picture you posted, I don't think you "look Jewish".

AverageKorhonen
02-12-2015, 03:16 AM
I've looked at the family tree of my great great uncle, and found nothing but non-Jewish surnames there. Completely normal English surnames as my immediate family is English. ...

Changing names to avoid persecution was common in the Jewish community when arriving to the New World. Your family are probably just passing for white.

Same apply to Blacks though for different reasons. They didn't come here with names likes William or John. They use to be called Simba, Pumba, Mufasa, Zazu etc back in the day in Africa.

Rędwald
02-12-2015, 03:20 AM
Post a picture, although for some reason British and Ashkenazi phenotypes can looks similar sometimes.

AverageKorhonen
02-12-2015, 03:20 AM
I sorry but theres not picture to judge if you look jewish or not :(

How big is the Jewish community in Chile?

armenianbodyhair
02-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Probably because you look like a Jew.

leisitox
02-12-2015, 08:14 PM
How big is the Jewish community in Chile?

I estimate 20k ashkenazi jews here

Anglojew
02-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Whenever I bring up a picture of myself, my nephews, my cousin or my great great uncle, they always guess Jewish, or 'AJ'. I also have darker skin, even in the middle of winter, and that applies to my cousin and my mother also. Black, or very dark hair also runs in the family as well as 'beaked' noses. I've had people mistake my oldest two nephews for Middle Easterners or Chinese.

I've looked at the family tree of my great great uncle, and found nothing but non-Jewish surnames there. Completely normal English surnames as my immediate family is English. Both my parents are European yet people tell me I don't look fully European. There is no mention of any of my ancestors being Jews. Just English folk. I take after my mother's side, which is why I refer to it. My father is European and looks it. I've even been stopped by the Lubovitch group and they couldn't believe me when I told them I wasn't Jewish. They looked at me like I was crazy.

What?

bamaboys
02-16-2015, 12:36 AM
I mean if Jews are surprised that you aren't then you must look it.