PDA

View Full Version : A Middle Eastern and North African category might be created on the US cenus

StonyArabia
02-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Arab-Americans, who make up the majority of those who would be covered by the MENA classification, have previously been classified by default as white on the census, which helps determine congressional district boundaries and how billions of dollars in federal funding are allocated, among other things.

Those pushing for the MENA classification say it would more fully and accurately count them, thus increasing their visibility and influence among policymakers.

http://www.nnaac.org/census

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/michigan-u-s-senators-back-middle-east-north-africa-category-on-next-census/

Activists have been lobbying the U.S. Census Bureau to grant minority status to Americans with roots in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
The campaign began in 1980s, picking up steam in the last decade in response to government policies in the “war on terrorism.” The bureau has considered Americans of Middle Eastern and North African descent white since the 1920s and has repeatedly rejected appeals for minority status citing the 1997 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) guideline that defines white as “a person having origins in the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East or North Africa.” This changed in December when the U.S. Census announced plans to test a new MENA category for possible inclusion in the 2020 census. The Federal Register is now seeking 5,000 letters in support of the proposed change by Feb. 2, the deadline for the public comment period.

Over the last decade several communities in the U.S. have pushed for minority status at either the federal or state level. This includes campaigns by young Americans of Iranian, Arab, Turkish and Nubian descent who grew up under the Patriot Act and witnessed the effects of deportation, rendition, ethnic profiling and wiretapping on relatives and neighbors. At conferences, in the media and through humorous online initiatives, activists argue that their communities enjoy few of the benefits of whiteness.

Since 9/11, discrimination against Americans of MENA descent has risen precipitously as a result of hate crimes and policies associated with the “war on terrorism.” However, community leaders are not able to keep a proper count of those crimes or lobby for policy changes since the official classification lumps together people of MENA descent with whites.

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/2/middle-eastern-americans-push-census-change.html

Kamal900
02-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Thank god for that. Now people can finally identify their true identity in the US census rather than to be called White. MENA pride world wide :)

StonyArabia
02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Thank god for that. Now people can finally identify their true identity in the US census rather than to be called White. MENA pride world wide :)

Indeed bro, I am glad this is finally coming into a reality. Now people can indeed finally be true to their identity rather than identifying as White, which has nothing to do with them at all. This shows that the Middle Eastern and North African communities in the US, want to maintain their identity and cultural difference, and also being considered White on a paper is meaningless, as the article has outlined in the example of what happened to many Middle Eastern and North African people, since the White status never offered them protection and was plainly a joke, some even see it as an insult. MENA pride world wide indeed. It would be only the OWDers and people with no dignity who will be teared up by this process, but not us the people with dignity and pride in our own regions.

Yuffayur
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Good thing (y) .
I support it.

Morena
02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
It's about affirmative action and getting their piece of the pie. I am all for it. Let more people try to get on the victim/minority gravy train so it will all collapse on the ground and burn.

Hadouken
02-09-2015, 04:52 PM
cool

Dombra
02-09-2015, 05:01 PM
The Armenian reaction will be amusing if they end up as MENA :laugh:

StonyArabia
02-09-2015, 05:08 PM
The Armenian reaction will be amusing if they end up as MENA :laugh:

In Canada they are considered West Asian and part of the MENA lump already and are not seen as White. Here White means only European descendants and regardless if other people from the Mideast have assimilated into the generalized WASP or French culture.

Here MENA are divided into:
West Asian= Armenians, Turks, Kurds, Assyrians
Arab: Arab speakers from the Mideast Bedouin, Levantine, ect.
North Africans: Egyptians and Berbers

Dombra
02-09-2015, 05:11 PM
In Canada they are considered West Asian and part of the MENA lump already and are not seen as White. Here White means only European descendants and regardless if other people from the Mideast have assimilated into the generalized WASP or French culture.

Here MENA are divided into:
West Asian= Armenians, Turks, Kurds, Assyrians
Arab: Arab speakers from the Mideast Bedouin, Levantine, ect.
North Africans: Egyptians and Berbers

"B-but muh white and ancient European, christian culture"

Leto
02-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Indeed bro, I am glad this is finally coming into a reality. Now people can indeed finally be true to their identity rather than identifying as White, which has nothing to do with them at all. This shows that the Middle Eastern and North African communities in the US, want to maintain their identity and cultural difference, and also being considered White on a paper is meaningless, as the article has outlined in the example of what happened to many Middle Eastern and North African people, since the White status never offered them protection and was plainly a joke, some even see it as an insult. MENA pride world wide indeed. It would be only the OWDers and people with no dignity who will be teared up by this process, but not us the people with dignity and pride in our own regions.
You are being disgusting. You live in Canada, you constantly worship Northern European women, but at the same time you also talk about some "pride". It's you who has no dignity. Find an Arabic woman instead of looking for blond mindless whores.

StonyArabia
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
You are being disgusting. You live in Canada, you constantly worship Northern European women, but at the same time you also talk about some "pride". It's you who has no dignity. Find an Arabic woman instead of looking for blond mindless whores.

Well I do like all kinds of women, I have posted beautiful girls from Arabia on here, I like them as all women are. Well there is nothing wrong with liking people who are different from you, and taking pride in your ancestry. There are many White guys who worship Asian women for example, they are proud of being white, I don't think their lacking in the dignity department. I guess people just like the exotic factors.