PDA

View Full Version : Tips for gaining weight?

Highlands
02-11-2015, 02:57 PM
I had an operation a few months back and since then I've been losing a lot of weight. I've calculated by BMI and apparently I'm underweight, almost severely. I know people will say "just eat more" but it really isn't that simple. It's difficult for my stomach to adjust to larger portions. My antibiotics are also causing extreme fatigue ; I can't exercise regularly like I used to (exercise really helped) and I sometimes skip meals. All this is making me so depressed :( and my mood really affects my eating behaviour.

StonyArabia
02-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Eat stuff with a lot of carbohydrates. Drink more pop than you normally consume, though be careful of it's intake.

Neanderthal
02-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Fried stuff, sodas, a lot of milk, ice cream, that's what I do, i'm ectomorph

Trogdor
02-11-2015, 03:03 PM
It's how your body is made, your metabolism. To gain weight I guess try eating things with lots of carbs, having more snacks between meals or use protein shakes.

Sakis
02-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Small meals every 2-3 hours

Ibericus
02-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Simple, take more calories than you burn. Foods high in calories that are healthy are nuts, almonds, olive oil, (natural) peanut butter,

Linebacker
02-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Some of my genes.If I overdo the eating,especially right now when its winter,I bulk up like a gorilla.This is bad because it costs overall athleticism reduction,and visual quality reduction,like loss of abs and back definition.

Neanderthal
02-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Small meals every 2-3 hours

That will speed up her metabolism, unless she eats quite a lot every 2-3 hours. The point of gaining weight is having a nutrients surplus, if you are eating small meals every 2 hours or what not, you gonna be burning that shit quickly

Raven_
02-11-2015, 03:07 PM
If you skip meals because you don't have time or feel tired, perhaps you should cook/make something that can be consumed later. Hummus, falafels (I bake them in an oven) and eggplant rolls (http://www.azcookbook.com/2008/01/15/eggplant-rolls/) come to mind.

EDIT: I am not sure these meals will make you fatter, but at least they should give you energy I think.

Sakis
02-11-2015, 03:08 PM
That will speed up her metabolism, unless she eats quite a lot every 2-3 hours. The point of gaining weight is having a nutrients surplus, if you are eating small meals every 2 hours or what not, you gonna be burning that shit quickly

Don't know but it helps me a lot.

Tacitus
02-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Eat more quality high-fat foods like nuts/nut butters, cultured dairy, and avocados (if available). Increasing your carb intake is a good idea too, but try to avoid processed crap.

I'd also recommend taking a probiotic along with your antibiotic regime, but talk to your doctor first.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2014/07/29/how-and-why-to-take-probiotics-when-using-antibiotics

Herr Abubu
02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Embrace your inner 'Thal. Worked out for me.

Empecinado
It may sound simple but it works, eat food you like, not caring if are healthy or not, until you recover.

Equilibrium
I had an operation a few months back and since then I've been losing a lot of weight. I've calculated by BMI and apparently I'm underweight, almost severely. I know people will say "just eat more" but it really isn't that simple. It's difficult for my stomach to adjust to larger portions. My antibiotics are also causing extreme fatigue ; I can't exercise regularly like I used to (exercise really helped) and I sometimes skip meals. All this is making me so depressed :( and my mood really affects my eating behaviour.

You should consult an expert like TheBrownBear.

Trogdor
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Choosing very nutirent-rich foods is a good way of gaining weight also.

SupaThug
02-11-2015, 03:23 PM
It would be easier for you if you lived in Brazil.You'd be able to eat tons of paçoca and gain weight easily.

Herr Abubu
02-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Were the antibiotics taken orally? Antibiotics are in general a big gamble.

alfieb
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Chocolate milk.

I know a guy who had gastic bypass surgery which shrinks your stomach substantially. He lost a lot of weight, but gained it back by drinking chocolate milk constantly in lieu of water, milk, tea, coffee, etc.

King Claus
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM
You should consult an expert like TheBrownBear.
fucking asshole

Alchemysta
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/vrzp0j.jpg

Anthropos
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
I would recommend fat and salty food.

Pizza for example is very nutritious, especially with good toppings. Lasagna another good one. Pasta and cheese or cheese sauce. Fat fish with 40% fat creme fraiche and a choice of carbohydrates. Pork chops with potato pancakes (pancake with grated potato in it) and lingon jam. Bacon and eggs. Shrimp omelette. Crepes.

I have heard that carbohydrates are supposed to be the most fattening, but there are too many negative effects of excessive carbohydrate consumption, some of which are psychological. I therefore think that a more balanced diet is better, as long as it's rich in fat and proteines. Fat has many calories and proteines and cholesterol help build new cells.

Fat food is good for the appetite; one doesn't get tired of it easily. Some even say that it increases the appetite for more fat food.

If you are on medications it may not be an option but a glass of wine or two also could help.

I would also recommend home cooked meals. A lot of premade stuff is low fat to fit the typical stressed out crowd which doesn't want to be fat.

Era
02-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Take walks in a park and have red meats at least 3 times a week , cook it yourself preferably, a nice steak make it soft and juicy. Have you checked your blood stats? And yes fruits and vegetables. You don't need to go for the fried foods imo.

Highlands
02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Were the antibiotics taken orally? Antibiotics are in general a big gamble.

Yes, I take antibiotics orally. (It was the only option).

Thanks everyone. :) I value each and every post.
I will devise a daily food plan and keep track of my calory intake. If you would like to do the same, this website is a good tool: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/myplan.aspx.

Catkin
02-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Sorry you've been suffering, hope you're feeling a little better soon. My grandmother was very thin and struggled to keep at a healthy weight. Her doctor told her to eat a small slice of chocolate cake every day. Not particularly healthy, but it did seem to help a bit, and hey it was doctor prescribed! I think I took all my genes from the other side of the family.