PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Battles/Warhammer 40,000

Murphy
05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I know my fellow gamers are out there somewhere. Now come out of the closet! No need to be ashamed! Grown men playing with toy soldiers is completely natural.

Arrow Cross
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
While this (http://www.gamestar.hu/apix/0901/dawnofwar.jpg) certainly has its charms, I can't fathom how grown men can spend fortunes on things like this (http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/2/2a/WH40Kgamephoto.jpg).

Murphy
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
While this (http://www.gamestar.hu/apix/0901/dawnofwar.jpg) certainly has its charms, I can't fathom how grown men can spend fortunes on things like this (http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/2/2a/WH40Kgamephoto.jpg).

There is a certain pride in purchasing, preparing, building, painting and then leading your forces on the table-top :P!

Liffrea
05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Arrow Cross
I can't fathom how grown men can spend fortunes on things like this.

When I used to game the main attraction for me was the social climate, my local club had over fifty gamers attending nearly every Monday and Thursday night, plus you have something tangible to show for your effort. Computer games you sit in your room on your tod and at the end of it you have………a £40 CD that may double as a coster.

Don’t get me wrong I like computer games, my bag is stuff like Caesar and Zeus Master of Olympus, though I can plump for Titan Quest and WW2 games like Sniper, but there is nothing like playing against another human being. I love board games, table top war games, chess, Axis & Allies, Risk…….basically stuff where I get to kill, maim and blow shit up.

Murphy
05-26-2010, 06:53 PM
.basically stuff where I get to kill, maim and blow shit up.

Someone is a fan of a certain Khârn unless I miss my guess :D!

Liffrea
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
In the future there is only war!

Yu4ABhVd28U

The depth that the creators of 40K have gone to create the mythological background to it is quite exceptional.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Liffrea66/Emperor_VS_Horus.jpg

Murphy
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
The depth that the creators of 40K have gone to create the mythological background to it is quite exceptional.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Liffrea66/Emperor_VS_Horus.jpg

For the most part I agree, though there is a few things I am not a big fan of.

But in regards to the fluff available: hell yeah! The stories we have to add so much flavour to the game.. Rogal Dorn building the defences of the Imperial Palace and his fists manning the walls against everything the traitor legions could throw at them! Jaghatai Khan and his White Scars, the scourge of the traitor and the heretic who dared brave the the war outside of the Imperial Palace, who worked with Imperial Guardsmen in the counter-assaults against the taitors, a prime example being when they recaptured the Lion's Gate spaceport from the heretic. And when after months of constant assault it was left to the great Sanguinius to defend the Eternity Gate single-handedly against the forces of chaos!

Then there are the other great tales of the Primarchs, Rogal Dorn and his champions single-handedly crippled the 1st Black Crusade, with Dorn himself falling a hero's death in the end. And.. well I don't think too highly of much of the others :P! Dorn is my favourite and I only have enough respect left for our brothers who fought in the Siege for Terra.

But even in more modern times there are still great stories. Commissar Yarrick, the Churck Norris of the 40K universe. Organised the defence of a hive city against the forces of the WAAAGH, had his armed chopped off by an Ork Warboss and decided to take the Ork's power-claw in return after taking said Ork's head off. And didn't see fit to collapse from his wounds until he had seen the rest routed. This guy is so bad-ass, he has his eye taken out and had a laser-shooter put in place on the mere rumor that the Orks had started that he could kill them with a gaze.

Or Ursarkar E. Creed, Lord Castellan of the Imperial Forces of Cadia. Oversaw the defence of Cadia during the 13th Black Crusade. This dude makes Winston Churchill actually seem appealing.

And let us not forget everyone's favourite, Khârn the Betrayer. KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!

hereward
05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I loved Warhammer/40k/spacemarine, even had Heroquest, SpaceHulk etc, thats how it started. I had a penchant for the Blood Angels, my favourite character being Sanguinius.
I still read the mythologies when it takes my fancy, Horus Heresy etc, good escapism.

Murphy
05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I loved Warhammer/40k/spacemarine, even had Heroquest, SpaceHulk etc, thats how it started. I had a penchant for the Blood Angels, my favourite character being Sanguinius.
I still read the mythologies when it takes my fancy, Horus Heresy etc, good escapism.

Sanguinius has had some amazing fluff. I mean the guy took the greatest Bloodthirster of Khrone and broke the bitch's back across his knee :D! On his own he defended the Eternity Gate against the forces of Chaos when the loyalists were pushed back deeper into the Palace which is no small feat even for a Primarch, and those guys were basically gods. And in the end, even knowing that what awaited him on Horus's Battlebarge was only death, he still went bravely and got his shots in at Horus.

But alas, Rogal Dorn is my man. As they paint the story now a days, Roboute Guilliman is the man everyone wants to be. This may be true for officers and commanders, because Guilliman was a good accountant and we know all accounts know how to.. command wars :rolleyes2:, Rogal Dorn is what every Marine in the trenches aspires to be. He is an everyman's man. He was stalwart, brave and ever-truthful. He went in and got the job done and didn't fuck around trying to making everything too complicated. He got results. But he also had a deeper side, he wept inside at having to tear down the beauty of the Imperial Palace to build the defences that were needed. People say he was arrogant, but this isn't true. He was proud of what the Emperor had accomplished and what his sons had done to help with this. And in the end, he is one of the few who died the most fitting death. He died fighting for the Imperium, destryong the 1st Black Crusade. We know his fate and no matter how hard they try to ret-con the fluff, he is dead and his death is his only fitting end. Unlike those like Russ that over-grown dog who ran away into the warp or and as much as I respect Khan Dorn didn't need to go disappearing into the Webway to hunt down a bunch of Pirates.

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of Him on earth!

On another note, do you still play :D?

Arrow Cross
05-26-2010, 08:08 PM
But alas, Rogal Dorn is my man. Rogal Dorn is what every Marine in the trenches aspires to be. He is an everyman's man. He was stalwart, brave and ever-truthful. He went in and got the job done and didn't fuck around trying to blah blah blah...
My facial expression on all that nonsense:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fjimgd6nE04/SlM0Wj39l3I/AAAAAAAAAB0/96CSiAu9kQA/s320/Ironwarlogo.gif

hereward
05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
On another note, do you still play ?

No, had stopped by aound 15, if I started again I fear my much put upon Wife would do a runner.:D

Murphy
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
My facial expression on all that nonsense:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fjimgd6nE04/SlM0Wj39l3I/AAAAAAAAAB0/96CSiAu9kQA/s320/Ironwarlogo.gif

Oh for God's sake. Perturabo and his legion were a bunch of children. They were soldiers who got pissed for being used as.. soldiers?! And Perturabo got even more pissed when Dorn told him the stark truth, that if the Imperial Palace was well manned it would stand up to any threat.

Looking at the facts, the Imperial Palace was undermanned and still held out to superior numbers for months and in the end the heretics could not get past the last hurdle. The so-called master of sieges could not come through.

Then you have the Iron Cage. Perturabo thought he was being all smart and skillful with this whole incident. But Dorn, taking the advantage of what the Iron Cage offered his legion went in, with no planning or reconnaissance, which was very out of character for Dorn and his Fists, and fought the Iron Warriors to a stand still. It went so far that they left to fighting in trenches and tunnels with nothing but combat knifes and Dorn was forever at the forefront of the assault. If Perturabo was so brilliant, why was he completely OWNED :D?

Murphy
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
No, had stopped by aound 15, if I started again I fear my much put upon Wife would do a runner.:D

Aah yes it is quite expense these days, a lot more from when I started a good few years ago.

But always worth it! I think it's all about pacing yourself really. I've been out of the hobby for a good few years and now that I am returning, I am getting much more into the gaming aspect where as years ago it was all about the painting and modelling. I spent a fortune on the newest armies to be released just to paint up. I sold everything I had a few years ago, even my paints.

Now that I am returning, I am planning to, as I said above, pace my self. Sticking with one project at a time and getting more into the gaming aspect.

Join me brother :D!

hereward
05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Try to keep your personel interests, it gets harder with age and responsibility.

Arrow Cross
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh for God's sake. Perturabo and his legion were a bunch of children. They were soldiers who got pissed for being used as.. soldiers?!
Ignored workhorses, while the Emprah's yellow lil' superstars were busy bathing in the spotlight. :p

And Perturabo got even more pissed when Dorn told him the stark truth, that if the Imperial Palace was well manned it would stand up to any threat.
Except, as it turned out, an Iron Warrior siege. :D

Looking at the facts, the Imperial Palace was undermanned and still held out to superior numbers for months and in the end the heretics could not get past the last hurdle.
That's because Horus was a n00b.

Then you have the Iron Cage. Perturabo thought he was being all smart and skillful with this whole incident. But Dorn, taking the advantage of what the Iron Cage offered his legion went in, with no planning or reconnaissance, which was very out of character for Dorn and his Fists,
:lmao:lmao:lmao

and fought the Iron Warriors to a stand still.
Read: got pwnt so hard that if not for a last-minute Ultramarine intervention, he and his SPESS MEHRENS would all have become cage display. Even this way, the ritual sacrifice of four hundred Imperial Sis' geneseeds paved the way for Perturabo to ascend and far outlive Dorn.

Murphy
05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Ignored workhorses, while the Emprah's yellow lil' superstars were busy bathing in the spotlight. :p

They weren't ignored. They just thought there were better than they were. They got exactly everything they earned. Not the Emperor's fault that didn't earn enough.

Face it, for all of the Iron Warrior's talk, their victory tally didn't match that of Horus or the Lion, Russ or Dorn. At least they had more than the Ultramarines :P!

Except, as it turned out, an Iron Warrior siege. :D

But the Palace did stand ;). The Loyalists held the Palace until the threat of more loyalist legions aiming for Terra made the siege an impossible prospect.

That's because Horus was a n00b.

The siege was under the command of Perturabo, so don't blame Horus. And even then, the Warmaster was far from being a n00b ;).

:lmao:lmao:lmao

It was out of character though. The Fists were always careful in their planning. Until after the Siege where they did go a little.. insane. But after the Iron Cage things settled down back to normal.

Read: got pwnt so hard that if not for a last-minute Ultramarine intervention, he and his SPESS MEHRENS would all have become cage display. Even this way, the ritual sacrifice of four hundred Imperial Sis' geneseeds paved the way for Perturabo to ascend and far outlive Dorn.

I will give you that the Ultramarines intervention did save Dorn and his fellows. However, you're missing the point. A vastly outnumbered and ill-equipped, in both weaponry and planning, Imperial Fists' force fought the Iron Warriors to a complete stand-still in what could be argued was the greatest fortress they had ever built outside of the Eye. The Iron Warriors lost just as much if not more of their forces than the Fists because the Warriors were not willing to make the ultimate sacrifice: their lives.

Dorn went into the cage knowing full well what the result would be. His intentions were to let the warriors of his legion who could not let go, die honourably in battle. They would enter as a legion and emerge as a chapter. And the Iron Warriors gained nothing but help in giving the Fists the honour they demanded.

And as for the whole Demon Prince thing.. please. It's hardly an accomplishment and though Perturabo may be immortal, he's stuck being emo on his little demon world. Hardly an existence woth living.

poiuytrewq0987
05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't play fantasy WH but I do play 40k. I play the game slightly different than others do. For instance we are supposed to have a turn entirely dedicated to moving before we can start shooting... the games I play combine moving and shooting instead of just wait for everyone to move first before we can start shooting. I prefer it this way, imo, it makes the game more fun and faster.

Murphy
05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't play fantasy WH but I do play 40k. I play the game slightly different than others do. For instance we are supposed to have a turn entirely dedicated to moving before we can start shooting... the games I play combine moving and shooting instead of just wait for everyone to move first before we can start shooting. I prefer it this way, imo, it makes the game more fun and faster.

That is interesting.. I may give it a try some time.

Monolith
05-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I also loved the story. :) Dawn of War 2 is not bad either.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4825&stc=1&d=1274909472

Murphy
05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I also loved the story. :)

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4825&stc=1&d=1274909472

I am sorry, but I have no respect what-so-ever for Marneus Calgar. He's a complete and utter Mary Sue who has suffered from horrible writing. The dude is a simple Space Marine, Chapter Master or not, and yet he could bitch slap an Avatar? An Avatar is a fragment of a god and not just any god but the Elder god or war, and we're to believe this Space Marine went up and stuck his fancy-powerfist through a god's face?

No chance :P!

Arrow Cross
05-26-2010, 09:44 PM
http://1d4chan.org/images/d/dd/Blingmarine.jpg

Murphy
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
You know, AC, I think you just do the opposite of everything I do! I'm Catholic, you're Protestant. I'm Imperial Fists, you're Iron Warriors. I think we may agree however on Marneus Calgar being a trumped-idiot :D?

Murphy
05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6809/kharn3.jpg

Liffrea
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
The HH novels have been surprisingly good over the long term, Fulgrim probably tops the list so far, but I just love the whole concept of man reaching for Godhood only to fall into the abyss. The end of the novel where Fulgrim wakes up to what he has become but cannot turn back, he’s doomed! The darkness of 40K is captivating.

Ultimately mankind is doomed.

Some of the short stories have been reasonable, The Last Church where the Emperor personally debates the merits of religion with the Earth’s last Priest isn’t a bad story at all.

Of course it all starts with Erebus (in Greek myth Erebus was one of the first beings born of Chaos) Erebus corrupts Lorgar Primarch of the Word Bearers, the Emperor is destined to fail in his quest to purge the universe of the Gods, Gods that man himself created. In his quest to replace religion with science, superstition with reason he fails completely, his corpse becomes the source of a cult that keeps the Imperium in bondage and increasingly sees it fall back into the darkness, technology isn’t understood it’s worshipped, the Machine God has to be supplicated to work. Ignorance and fear are the currency of the Imperium, pointless and meaningless existence for most of its citizens.

If you listen carefully you can hear the Gods laughing……

Pallantides
05-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Mordheim is my game of choice.
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/Pallantides/stuff/Hus2.jpg

Murphy
05-26-2010, 10:57 PM
The HH novels have been surprisingly good over the long term, Fulgrim probably tops the list so far, but I just love the whole concept of man reaching for Godhood only to fall into the abyss. The end of the novel where Fulgrim wakes up to what he has become but cannot turn back, he’s doomed! The darkness of 40K is captivating.

Ultimately mankind is doomed.

Some of the short stories have been reasonable, The Last Church where the Emperor personally debates the merits of religion with the Earth’s last Priest isn’t a bad story at all.

Of course it all starts with Erebus (in Greek myth Erebus was one of the first beings born of Chaos) Erebus corrupts Lorgar Primarch of the Word Bearers, the Emperor is destined to fail in his quest to purge the universe of the Gods, Gods that man himself created. In his quest to replace religion with science, superstition with reason he fails completely, his corpse becomes the source of a cult that keeps the Imperium in bondage and increasingly sees it fall back into the darkness, technology isn’t understood it’s worshipped, the Machine God has to be supplicated to work. Ignorance and fear are the currency of the Imperium, pointless and meaningless existence for most of its citizens.

If you listen carefully you can hear the Gods laughing……

And funnily enough, I love the game for it :D! One would think I would object to the game.. but it's really because of the nature of the gods in the Warhammer 40,000 world that grants me the ability to enjoy it. Besides the fact that it is fiction.

Murphy
05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Mordheim is my game of choice.
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/Pallantides/stuff/Hus2.jpg

Played a few games of it in the past. Also played modified versions of the game. I made a Chaos Nurgle Warband for one I put a lot of heart into. Sold it on though :(.

There was also another game me and my circle were fond of. Death Race or some-such. It was a side game that was given rules at a Games Day or a Conflict tournament a friend went to.

It was set in the 40K universe. One friend converted a a bike-riding vampire, another had 7 goblins riding a looted space marine bike :D! My conversion was an Ogre who instead of riding the bike, just picked up the bike and ran with it. His main weapon was using the bike as a gun in that if anyone took over him, he threw his bike at them, and in close-combat it was used as a club :D!

Arrow Cross
05-27-2010, 12:46 AM
You know, AC, I think you just do the opposite of everything I do! I'm Catholic, you're Protestant. I'm Imperial Fists, you're Iron Warriors. I think we may agree however on Marneus Calgar being a trumped-idiot :D?
Surely. By the way, have you considered applying for job to the Propaganda Department of the Administratum? You're really good at white-(or in this case, yellow-)washing.

As for my lore-wise sympathies, I'm more a Xenos-admirer of a certain kind...

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/034/2/6/Eldar_Autarch_by_r7ll.jpg

Edit: nevermind. I've just noticed your Daemonic avatar. :icon_eyes:

Murphy
05-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Surely. By the way, have you considered applying for job to the Propaganda Department of the Administratum? You're really good at white-(or in this case, yellow-)washing.

Oh well, I did apply. But you know what they're like. I am sure it will take another few centuries to process :D!

As for my lore-wise sympathies, I'm more a Xenos-admirer of a certain kind...

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/034/2/6/Eldar_Autarch_by_r7ll.jpg

Bah! You go with the people who got so deep in their sexual depravity they birthed the existence of a god who specialises in.. orgies :P?

Edit: nevermind. I've just noticed your Daemonic avatar. :icon_eyes:

Don't mind that.. everyone loves Kharn :D!

Cato
05-27-2010, 02:16 AM
For the Emperor of Man!

(Master of mankind, lord of the human race, etc.)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/Nyrath/Edit1Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg
About to pw0n Horus the faggot Chaos heretic.

Murphy
05-27-2010, 02:22 AM
About to pw0n Horus the faggot Chaos heretic.

Nothing says "pwn" like obliterating a man's soul :D!

Cato
05-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Nothing says "pwn" like obliterating a man's soul :D!

Horus may've been the most powerful of the Primarchs, but the Emperor have about 40,000 years of life and experience on that trumped-up fool. :D

Murphy
05-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Horus may've been the most powerful of the Primarchs, but the Emperor have about 40,000 years of life and experience on that trumped-up fool. :D

Well, the Emperor also has all the experience of his past lives before his birth.

Cato
05-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Well, the Emperor also has all the experience of his past lives before his birth.

Back to the beginning of time, since he was basically the reincarnation of every mystic and shaman that ever lived on Earth- in a single body. :eek:

Arrow Cross
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh well, I did apply. But you know what they're like. I am sure it will take another few centuries to process :D!
I suggest stasis until then.

Bah! You go with the people who got so deep in their sexual depravity they birthed the existence of a god who specialises in.. orgies :P?
Now-now, as cool as the Dark Eldar may dress, I still go with the ones resisting their nature and putting up honourable societies.

Don't mind that.. everyone loves Kharn :D!
"Contrary to popular belief, Khârn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around..."

http://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/6/6f/Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg/180px-Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg (http://1d4chan.org/images/6/6f/Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg)

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kharn

Don
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Larga vida a los siervos de Tzeench.

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/media/images/careers/Zealot02_03.jpg

Murphy
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I suggest stasis until then.

Are you trying to be funny? You know dam well that the Imperial Fists' geneseed does not allow us to enter a state of suspended animation :mad::P!

Now-now, as cool as the Dark Eldar may dress, I still go with the ones resisting their nature and putting up honourable societies.

Okay, fine.

But they're still xenos! You species-traitor :P!

"Contrary to popular belief, Khârn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around..."

http://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/6/6f/Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg/180px-Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg (http://1d4chan.org/images/6/6f/Kharn_loev_khitten.jpg)

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kharn

Yes :D! Pure epic goodness.

Have you by chance seen "So, Eldrad Ulthran is a dick (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad)" :D?

Murphy
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Larga vida a los siervos de Tzeench.

A very Jewish god.. with all his plots and intrigues :P!

Liffrea
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jon Paul
And funnily enough, I love the game for it ! One would think I would object to the game.. but it's really because of the nature of the gods in the Warhammer 40,000 world that grants me the ability to enjoy it. Besides the fact that it is fiction.

The gritty realism appeals the most to me.

Many have an absurd notion that man progresses in some form of Hegelian sense to “freedom”. Yet the reality is that man’s ability to control the “chaos” of nature (both without and within) is the hallmark of his civilisation (as Spengler wrote there are nagging doubts within all cultures especially those in their virile stage). The Imperium is a declining civilisation born of a Dark Age its expansion brought to a halt by the defects of any ideological arrogance. You reach to far you fall.

The metaphysical realm of the Warp provides interesting speculation if you are of that turn of mind. All the Gods are creations of the psychic and emotional energy of living beings, principally human. In some sense there is a Jungian theme going on with the archetypes born of the deepest darkest recesses of the human sub conscious. The Gods of Chaos are so delicious because they are oh so human, the biggest devils exist in the human mind and the Gods represent that. As Jung wrote we project our own devils to a certain degree.

Ultimately man is doomed because he is man.

Xenocide, man stamps the alien filth into the ground and wins his birth right by the skulls of the species he exterminates, morally reprehensible perhaps but probably not unreasonably accurate. If humans ever do come into contact with aliens it will likely be in an aggressive capacity, Alien is more accurate than Star Trek, the Tyranids are the most alien of all, a species that exists solely to exist, not “evil” in any human sense of that morally fraught word but one that “consumes” worlds in order to live and evolve. Human cultures are not dissimilar in some respects existing as far as they can consume resources, people and ideas and as long as there is a will to be.

Pallantides
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM

they are homo erotic, those 'space elves' are gheyy!

Waaagh!
http://kartones.net/images_posts/theelderthoughts/w40k_orks.jpg

Murphy
05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
they are homo erotic, those "space elves" are gheyy!

Waaagh!
http://kartones.net/images_posts/theelderthoughts/w40k_orks.jpg

Yes, whilst I stand by the men who thought in ditch and trench with nothing but their knifes, AC here has a thing for Space-Elves in tights :D!

And you may see my earlier pages for my words on a certain WAAAGH! Commissar Yarrick anyone ;)?

Arrow Cross
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, whilst I stand by the men who thought in ditch and trench with nothing but their knifes, AC here has a thing for Space-Elves in tights :D!
:rolleyes: :p

You know what?! This is what!

*WARNING: NSFSMFBCSK*
(Not Safe For Spess Mehren Fan Boy Catholic School Kids)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs39/f/2008/353/9/4/94d9eb3659bf5e99e11f9074d99d0c4a.jpg

Murphy
05-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Just back from my local Games Worksop, had a nice wee chat with a, and I am just assuming, Dutch fellow.

Picked up a Black Library novel, the latest edition of Codex: Space Marines (read 'Ultramarines') and the Assault on Black Reach boxed set.

Edit: And last night I was introduced to War of the Ring, I had a massive game with 4 friends, I took the Rohirrim and allied with the Elves. My other two friends took a Mordor and Isengard force.

We won, mostly due to my tactics and having Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas on our side! Although we lost most of our heroes, including Legolas, we claimed the objective. We had ordered the Elves to make a solid wall who would march on the objective (a hill) and I used my Rohirrim to handle the left flank and Aragorn and his lot protected the Elves on the right flank, where I was hoping the Wraiths would be placed but they weren't, the Wargs went where the Wraiths were supposed to! But after losing Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli just marched right through the Wargs and solidified our hold on the objective. My Rohirrim on the left done brilliant in holding the left flank and kept much of the Urak-Hai and Mordor Orcs from doing too much damage. My only regret being I should have moved my archers earlier in the game from their original position, because they didn't get to do much.

And tomorrow, I am going out to Sterling with a friend where he's entering a painting competition. That should be fun.

:rolleyes: :p

You know what?! This is what!

*WARNING: NSFSMFBCSK*
(Not Safe For Spess Mehren Fan Boy Catholic School Kids)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs39/f/2008/353/9/4/94d9eb3659bf5e99e11f9074d99d0c4a.jpg

I love the image actually :D!

poiuytrewq0987
05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Pssh, I play as the Eldars and I still kick ass even after the fall. ;) :P

poiuytrewq0987
05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Just back from my local Games Worksop, had a nice wee chat with a, and I am just assuming, Dutch fellow.

Picked up a Black Library novel, the latest edition of Codex: Space Marines (read 'Ultramarines') and the Assault on Black Reach boxed set.

I love the image actually :D!

Too fake for me to get turned on by the pic. Pornhammer with live action actors however... :angel

Murphy
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Pssh, I play as the Eldars and I still kick ass even after the fall. ;) :P

I actually did have a small Eldar strike-force when I was playing a few years ago. I was building a Wood Elf army for WFB when I decided I need space-Elves as well :P!

They were a bit out of my league though, it takes a good general to run an Eldar force.

Too fake for me to get turned on by the pic. Pornhammer with live action actors however... :angel

Do I hear a Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard alliance in the works :D? The idea of nuns with guns in space with metal corsets and breast-plates? Hell yea!

Groenewolf
05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Did not have played it in years. But when I played it is where the Dark Elves:thumb001:.

Murphy
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Did not have played it in years. But when I played it is where the Dark Elves:thumb001:.

I've collected Dark Elves as well. I went for a more Khane orientated theme than Slaanesh.

Arrow Cross
05-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Do I hear a Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard alliance in the works :D? The idea of nuns with guns in space with metal corsets and breast-plates? Hell yea!
http://1d4chan.org/images/a/ab/Sororita_change_poster.png

Murphy
05-29-2010, 10:10 PM
And tomorrow, I am going out to Sterling with a friend where he's entering a painting competition. That should be fun.

Stirling was a nice wee day out. Frind done quite will in the first round of his tournament. Spent the rest of the day helping him decide on which direction to take his army (they started on 500pts and are adding 500pts every fortnight after).

Good times.

Murphy
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I feel Nurlge's call.. :(! I am hopeless to resist! I'm torn between Death Guard and Imperial Fists!

Radola
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Few months ago, someone (a friend probably) recommended me this game, but I saw a few gameplay pics and it didn´t attracted me much, so is the game worth getting and playing? And can you compare it to some other, which I could already know?
Studying at the university gives you a lot of free time, so I could probably find a while to explore the game:D

Lábaru
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Space Wolf!!

http://www.foroswebgratis.com/fotos/4/5/2/0/8//842275logominiloboespacial.gif

Pallantides
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Space furries!
:D

Radola
11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, everything seems to be from space, but it didn´t describes the game completely, did it?:D

Liffrea
11-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I found the collecting and painting to be more interesting than playing the game itself, I’ve seen the new Dark Eldar and I’m impressed by the sculpts. I collect individual pieces now and again but I’m currently working on a 14 inch resin Devil sculpture I got from Japan, it is a bugger to work on.

Murphy
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Space Wolf!!

Bah.

Whilst the sons of Dorn, Sanguinius and Khan defended Holy Terra from the traitor, whilst these brave sons stood on the walls and spat defiance at Chaos, you bastard puppies were on a fucking galactic pub-crawl.

You make me sick :P.

Lábaru
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Bah.

Whilst the sons of Dorn, Sanguinius and Khan defended Holy Terra from the traitor, whilst these brave sons stood on the walls and spat defiance at Chaos, you bastard puppies were on a fucking galactic pub-crawl.

You make me sick :P.

True, the Space Wolves were not present, so the emperor went slain :P

Leman Russ

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNaTAyOHkaU/TF24HqBgq6I/AAAAAAAAAHw/Cy-i96CKP14/s1600/primarca+Leman+Russ+2.JPG

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/c/cc/Leman_Russ_Jes_Goodwin_2.jpg

Sword of the Morning
01-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Shame on all of you; 6 pages of discussion and hardly a word about WHFB. :nono:

Compare this:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10959/EldarareGayHumor.jpg

To this:

http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/14555wh-stratoi-chaos-warrior-artwork2.jpg

Enough said . . .

In all seriousness, I've got nothing against 40k (though it seems more luck- and list-based than Fantasy ever could be); it's just that the background doesn't inspire me like WHFB's does. Thus, though I've been playing Fantasy on and off for 10ish years now, I'll probably never play a game of 40k in my life.

Anyway, what does everyone think of 8th edition? My Warriors of Chaos are loving the step up and steadfast rules, and the prevalence of massed infantry in the current metagame is, IMO, a thing of utter beauty. :viking4:

Murphy
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM
My attraction to 40k is quite singular. I'm not often into sci-fi and prefer fantasy. But the tales of the Horus Heresy &c really resonate with me. But like I said, I prefer fantasy so WHFB for me as well.

I haven't had a chance to really check out 8th. The one game I got in was a tag-team with my Dwarves teaming up with some Lizardmen against some Vampire Counts and Dark Elves. I found the large units to be a bit of a burden on the Dwarves though. With no maneuverability as it is, it became impossible to get them where they needed to be (I couldn't offer any support to the Lizardmen). I should have placed my reserve Miners better as well :D! But I've been planning a Khornate Warrior of Chaos project and an Empire-turned-Swiss-Guard project :D!

Sword of the Morning
01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
My attraction to 40k is quite singular. I'm not often into sci-fi and prefer fantasy. But the tales of the Horus Heresy &c really resonate with me. But like I said, I prefer fantasy so WHFB for me as well.

I haven't had a chance to really check out 8th. The one game I got in was a tag-team with my Dwarves teaming up with some Lizardmen against some Vampire Counts and Dark Elves. I found the large units to be a bit of a burden on the Dwarves though. With no maneuverability as it is, it became impossible to get them where they needed to be (I couldn't offer any support to the Lizardmen). I should have placed my reserve Miners better as well :D! But I've been planning a Khornate Warrior of Chaos project and an Empire-turned-Swiss-Guard project :D!

8th is what renewed my interest in Warhammer. I was thoroughly jaded by the end of 7th edition; I signed up for Warhammer, not cavalry-monster-special character-hammer. 8th is not without its flaws, to be sure, but for me, the most important change it brought is the exaltation of the lowly footsoldier--and not just ones like Black Guard with a stack of special rules. Armies actually look like armies now, and life is good. :biggrin

On Dwarfs: Even they can potentially charge 15" now! Movement values are no longer king. Besides, with the changes to the way template weapons work, they should be coming to you. :smokin:

Liffrea
01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Any fans of the Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Liffrea66/youngeisenhorn.jpg

Initially a Puritan of the Amalathian faction, Eisenhorn's ideology would alter over the course of his career so dramatically towards Radical Xanthism that other members of the Inquisition consider him possibly heretical. Indeed, Eisenhorn has officially been considered a rogue agent at least twice in his Inquisitorial career, only to be proved righteous both times.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gregor_Eisenhorn

Murphy
07-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I'be basically downloaded the entire Black Library publications (torrents are amazing!) so I've got the Eisenhorn tales. I might read up on them some time.

Anyway I'm preparing to purchase the first of my Imperial Fists this month.