PDA

View Full Version : Women & children first (Titanic)

silverbell
02-18-2015, 05:04 AM
I think it was very sweet for men to let women and children go first. Is this rule still applied in Europe? Anyways, I (as a woman) would feel so guilty for letting women die. What do you guys think of these old fashioned selflessness (something we severely lack today)?

Gustave H
02-18-2015, 05:05 AM
I'm for gender equality. Sacrificing oneself for gender purposes is utterly stupid in my opinion.

StonyArabia
02-18-2015, 05:15 AM
I'm for gender equality. Sacrificing oneself for gender purposes is utterly stupid in my opinion.

I have a similar thought, children though are a different story should always be first.

Jackson
02-18-2015, 03:08 PM
As i was partially raised by my grandparents (this was the norm for them) i support this. In my opinion it is the man's duty to sacrifice his safety and life for the women and children of his family if it can help save theirs. Of course if all can get out alive, that is desirable.

Here in England it is custom for men to walk closest to the road if they pass/are with women and children as it is slightly more dangerous. I try to do this most of the time, although there a few occasions when you are unable to (as it has always been, likely). Also custom for men to open doors for women, and various other things - giving a coat to a woman or an umbrella, even laying it on the ground for them to walk over (I think this must be rare though), opening car doors for them. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that this is not because women are incapable of doing these things.

Feminists and the like seem to believe this is part of a mans condescending view towards women, but this is untrue. It is a mark of respect that all gentlemen should have towards women and children, because they are incredibly important.

Leon_C
02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Feminism and Chivalry (as applied to gender relations, not battle) are not compatible, if the condition was to do away with feminism then yes, otherwise no.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
02-18-2015, 03:34 PM
No, I am for EQUALITY. I am an egalitarian, therefore I think women should not go first. Except children, that's different.

02-18-2015, 03:35 PM
I am a feminist, I want equal rights for women. They should be able to get punched when they deserve it and shouldn't be given special privileges. Neither should men. 100% Egalitarian thinking, letting women go first just because they are women is bigotry and anti-feminist thought.

silverbell
02-18-2015, 03:38 PM
As i was partially raised by my grandparents (this was the norm for them) i support this. In my opinion it is the man's duty to sacrifice his safety and life for the women and children of his family if it can help save theirs. Of course if all can get out alive, that is desirable.

Here in England it is custom for men to walk closest to the road if they pass/are with women and children as it is slightly more dangerous. I try to do this most of the time, although there a few occasions when you are unable to (as it has always been, likely). Also custom for men to open doors for women, and various other things - giving a coat to a woman or an umbrella, even laying it on the ground for them to walk over (I think this must be rare though), opening car doors for them. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that this is not because women are incapable of doing these things.

Feminists and the like seem to believe this is part of a mans condescending view towards women, but this is untrue. It is a mark of respect that all gentlemen should have towards women and children, because they are incredibly important.

Awww....how sweet !!! Why can't all men have morals like European men? Uhhhhhhh...British women are seriously the luckiest women on the planet since they have such loving life partners. Millions of women in Afghanistan, India and Congo are begging God right now to give them husbands like you !

щрбл
02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
I think it was very sweet for men to let women and children go first. Is this rule still applied in Europe?

It happened just recently on that boat travelling between Italy and Greece which went on fire in the Adriatic sea. Only men were left at the end to wait for helicopter evacuation.

Foxy
02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
I think so too.

In Italy chivalry still exists and manifests in some behavours like:
- opening the car door for the woman;
- the man pays the bill;
- the man walks near the road;
- the man should sleep closer to the door so if someone enters in the bedroom he has the time to protect his wife;
- the man opens the door when the woman is entering in a local/restaurant;
- the man brings a eavy pack/box/bag/luggage;
- the man serves the wine and the water in the glasses of the woman for first and then in his glass;
- the man should drive the car and give a passage to the woman;
- the man passes the coat to the woman;
- the man offer the chair to the woman;
- in case of cold the man loans his jacket to the woman.

I think the above mentioned things apply for Ukraine too. There the man also helps the woman to step on or off from public means.

Linebacker
02-18-2015, 05:09 PM
In my line of work(that Im still studying for) we save who we are ordered to save.

Primary and Secondary objectives are a big chapter in our studies.Sometimes a man will be a primary objective for rescue because he holds importance for something and he is essential,and you just have to let some women and children die to save him first.

Veneda
02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I think so too.

In Italy chivalry still exists and manifests in some behavours like:
- opening the car door for the woman;
- the man pays the bill;
- the man walks near the road;
- the man should sleep closer to the door so if someone enters in the bedroom he has the time to protect his wife;
- the man opens the door when the woman is entering in a local/restaurant;
- the man brings a eavy pack/box/bag/luggage;
- the man serves the wine and the water in the glasses of the woman for first and then in his glass;
- the man should drive the car and give a passage to the woman;
- the man passes the coat to the woman;
- the man offer the chair to the woman;
- in case of cold the man loans his jacket to the woman.

I think the above mentioned things apply for Ukraine too. There the man also helps the woman to step on or off from public means.

All above exists in Poland. It also happens that old fashioned Polish men kiss women's right hand when introduce themselves or when they want to say hello during some parties or events.

Catkin
02-18-2015, 06:23 PM
If I were on a sinking ship I would want my husband and children to get to safety first. Once I knew my family was safe I could concentrate on looking after myself. However, the problem with that is I would want a husband who would put my safety first as well, so we'd probably end up each refusing to go without the other and all drowning.

^^ Love this! :)

My best friend growing up was a feisty bossy redhead. Whenever we were out she always insisted on walking by the road because she was older than me and so had lived a longer life- we were about 9 and she was just 8 months older than me! xD Lovely girl.

NatiaCutie
02-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Women are more vulnerable so deserve more protection :)

Catkin
02-18-2015, 06:32 PM

If it was you and your husband on a boat, would you immediately take the one seat to safety or would you want him to take it? Just out of interest :)

NatiaCutie
02-18-2015, 06:34 PM
If it was you and your husband on a boat, would you immediately take the one seat to safety or would you want him to take it? Just out of interest :)

Hmm... That is a very difficult question. I'm not sure.
I'd like to think I could sacrifice, but when you're in the moment, you might care more about saving yourself.

02-18-2015, 06:36 PM

What about women who are stronger then men? Your whole argument is full of contradictions and very flawed!!

NatiaCutie
02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
What about women who are stronger then men? Your whole argument is full of contradictions and very flawed!!

How many of those exist? Please, stop pestering. I just said my opinion since I advocate for the defence of women, as a more vulnerable group.

Vasconcelos
02-18-2015, 06:39 PM
I'd like to think I could sacrifice, but when you're in the moment, you might care more about saving yourself.

We're all equal, surely you wouldn't mine your husband doing the same.

silverbell
02-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Generally, men are more physically stronger than women

Catkin
02-18-2015, 06:41 PM

You're honest anyway :)

NatiaCutie
02-18-2015, 06:43 PM
We're all equal, surely you wouldn't mine your husband doing the same.

I guess so.

robar
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
It happened just recently on that boat travelling between Italy and Greece which went on fire in the Adriatic sea. Only men were left at the end to wait for helicopter evacuation.
Yes and I think men shoud sue the rescuing team.

robar
02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Generally, men are more physically stronger than women

What that has to do with sinking ship accident?

Mraz
I do not believe that men and women are equal, men should take care and protect women, avoid them to take risks etc...

Harley
Didn't get past first page.

I believe when a man chooses women and children first, it is a sign of respect. It implies a man's honor.

I can either allow him to show his honor as a man and accept that he affords me this respect, or I can shit on his ego and throw a big fit over nothing.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. He is doing this for a reason and that reason is because he should show his family's good job of raising him right.

I don't believe in violence between two people. I don't believe that I should dishonor someone who has only wanted to show me honor. I believe man's expression differs from a woman's, and to forget that is ego's play.

Let a man show his honor to reveal his respect to me. I will honor this by giving him respect in return. Anything more or less than that implies head games, and I'm not speaking about that.

щрбл
02-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Kids first.
Considering the human species isn't at danger and considering also that the man and the woman have the same probability of drowning, how is her life more valuable than his? I think dice rolling would be a good solution to decide who lives and who dies.

Foxy
02-19-2015, 04:45 PM
All above exists in Poland. It also happens that old fashioned Polish men kiss women's right hand when introduce themselves or when they want to say hello during some parties or events.

I know, my bf is from a former Polish city :D
I like old Polish style :love0038:

Back to the question, I think that if I survived to my husband I would feel guilty for the rest of my life and I would probably suffer of post traumatic stress disorder.