PDA

View Full Version : Fees for services?

Loki
02-20-2015, 01:12 AM
In order to limit work for admins, perhaps we should charge a small fee for things like name changes and requested temporary bans?

It could be a good way also to raise money for the website's running costs.

I would appreciate your feedback on this proposal. Could it be morally justifiable to charge $5 for each of those actions? These are not critical matters but it is luxury treatment.

Your thoughts please :)

Alchemysta
02-20-2015, 01:15 AM
It's a good idea

alfieb
02-20-2015, 01:18 AM
I have no experience with charging for services.

All that I know about the subject is that you already tried charging for name changes in 2013 or 2014 and reversed the policy.

Loki
02-20-2015, 01:25 AM
All that I know about the subject is that you already tried charging for name changes in 2013 or 2014 and reversed the policy.

Yes, at the time I decided not to go ahead with it. But I'm reconsidering now, due to a large increase of requests - and am guaging the community's thoughts on the matter, whether it would be considered fair.

Many forums do not allow name changes at all. And voluntary temporary bans are quite rare outside of Apricity.

Armenian Bishop
02-20-2015, 01:36 AM
I've never once requested a name change, or temporary ban. I probably won't request a temporary ban. If I ever change my user name, then my payment of "fees for services" would carry the weight of those who regularly use the luxury of multiple name changes.

Marusya
02-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Sure. Another forum I belong to has VIP memberships. A five dollar membership is good for 2 years, a ten dollar membership is good for 5 years, etc. For one hundred, I think the membership lasts for eternity. :D VIP membership perks include the ability to change screen names, access the forum music player, have a larger than normal avatar, etc. Of course, VIP members still have to follow forum rules and can be banned for misbehavior.

Many of the free perks at Apricity require a VIP membership on this other forum. You are too generous! Also, you need a forum music player. :D

Linebacker
02-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Charging for requested bans is ridiculous.That one will never work because people will just stop requesting bans.

Charging namechanges is something we have discussed since very long ago here,and it is mass supported,and its about time it gets into play.

Loki
02-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Charging for requested bans is ridiculous.That one will never work because people will just stop requesting bans.

That may be part of the plan ;)

Linebacker
02-20-2015, 09:25 AM
That may be part of the plan ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Pupzpl-CInk/UXkly1nTtTI/AAAAAAAAAus/AyZ1hT6PhD8/s1600/simbol.jpg

Queen B
02-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Disagree.

1) Instead of charging each name change, you should give benefits to funding members, with limitations.
f.e. Funding members (older or new) can change username once per 3 months.
You can change the time/how often, in relation to their fundings.

2) Avoid temp-ban by request, unless there is a serious issue. Charging it doesn't make sense.

Loki
02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Disagree.

1) Instead of charging each name change, you should give benefits to funding members, with limitations.
f.e. Funding members (older or new) can change username once per 3 months.
You can change the time/how often, in relation to their fundings.

2) Avoid temp-ban by request, unless there is a serious issue. Charging it doesn't make sense.

Of course, these charges wouldn't apply to people who are already funding members. Unless: say, one person has donated $10 to become a funding member. This will not enable this person to get an unlimited amount of name changes or requested bans. It will depend on how much the individual has donated so far.

Queen B
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Of course, these charges wouldn't apply to people who are already funding members. Unless: say, one person has donated $10 to become a funding member. This will not enable this person to get an unlimited amount of name changes or requested bans. It will depend on how much the individual has donated so far.
That's why I said that how often someone can change his username will have to do with how much he has donated.
You can make something like

Non-funding members - 10$ (per year) : 1 per year (not at all)
10-30$ : 2 per year
30-50$ : 3 blabla

over 100 > Unlimited or something.

This will have to go with other privilages as well.

This will have to work as a GIFT to the donators, not as a service they purchase in order to use.

Hithaeglir
02-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Imo 5 $ is too much for just a name change.A dollar is more realistic.

Loki
02-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Imo 5 $ is too much for just a name change.A dollar is more realistic.

Name changes are annoying. It shouldn't be so easy to get one.

Alchemysta
02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I think

5$ Permaban.
10 or 15$ User name change.

Still very cheap.

Loki
02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I think

5$ Permaban.

I think when I receive money I want to "sponsor" a few members for a permaban :lol:

Furnace
02-20-2015, 11:34 PM
And the banning service won't be abused? :rolleyes:

I can see it all already, several people ganging up to donate tens of dollars to ban one guy they disagree with.. :laugh:

Loki
02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I can see it all already, several people ganging up to donate tens of dollars to ban one guy they disagree with.. :laugh:

lol no, it can only be used for yourself :lol:

Harley
02-21-2015, 06:09 PM
I like Queen B's suggestions and think they would work well.

I was randomly thinking the other day that there could be mock court events to argue cases for specific members on the ban/unban circumstances. I always see a lot of those "Free [insert member name]!"

Well, what if they were able to bring it to TA court with a donation towards the site and have other members act as their lawyers, with jury and everything?

Small claims court would have a smaller donation and maybe only consist of the two arguing parties and the residing judge.

A bigger donation would be complete with a jury. Each would have a time frame to be completed and maybe only take place once a month or so.

It's a complicated idea, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Gustave H
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Good idea. I think you should also charge $50 per year for membership or $500 for lifetime membership. This will get rid of the inferior infidel scum here and only rich Muslims like me can be here. Ideal.

zhaoyun
02-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I agree with this. Because one of the most annoying things about this site is the constant name changes.