PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between north and south Caucasians?

barbatus
02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
In terms of appearance how do north caucasians (Chechens and the like) differ from south Caucasians (Georgians)? Do Georgians and Chechens look significantly different? What phenotypes exist among them and how do they differ?

Tooting Carmen
02-20-2015, 04:59 PM
North Caucasians look predominantly Balkan. South Caucasians look predominantly Near Eastern.

barbatus
02-20-2015, 05:14 PM
North Caucasians look predominantly Balkan. South Caucasians look predominantly Near Eastern.

That seems pretty in line with what I've seen in photos, I guess. Chechens look European to me, some Georgians i've seen in pictures look European too but most look MENA.

Tooting Carmen
02-20-2015, 05:23 PM
That seems pretty in line with what I've seen in photos, I guess. Chechens look European to me, some Georgians i've seen in pictures look European too but most look MENA.

But even Chechens generally stand out among ethnic Russians, although many if not most could pass as other European ethnic groups such as Greeks, Albanians, Bulgarians, Serbs etc.

Danishmend
02-20-2015, 05:33 PM
North Caucasians don't look Balkan, although there is some overlap between them.

Damiăo de Góis
02-20-2015, 05:36 PM
They both look like arabs to me.

barbatus
02-20-2015, 05:37 PM
But even Chechens generally stand out among ethnic Russians, although many if not most could pass as other European ethnic groups such as Greeks, Albanians, Bulgarians, Serbs etc.

Yes, they don't usually look very Russian but they often look more European than MENA. I've even seen pictures of Chechen soldiers and rebels who could pass as white Canadian

barbatus
02-20-2015, 05:39 PM
They both look like arabs to me.
These people look Arab to you?
http://cdn1.relevantmediagroup.com/sites/default/files/field/thumbnail/942823-ramzan-kadyrov.jpg
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/upload/iblock/a8e/kadyrov-3-storypic.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2363qx.jpg

Antimage
02-20-2015, 05:41 PM
south caucasians are darker and have different facial features

Damiăo de Góis
02-20-2015, 05:42 PM
These people look Arab to you?

Those 3 guys? Sort of... they aren't that far genetically.

barbatus
02-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Those 3 guys? Sort of... they aren't that far genetically.

They don't look arab at all. And they don't look atypical for Chechens either. It was no cherry picking, the first guy is Ramzan Kadyrov the leader of Chechnya and the other two are like the top results when you google Chechens. Google Chechen rebels even and you'll see how light and European looking they are. They don't look Arab at all.

Sarmatian
02-20-2015, 06:11 PM

What kind of rubbish is that? With a few extremely rare exceptions I'd never mistake a Caucasian for a Balkanite.

The main phenotype that makes Caucasians distinct from all other groups is Mtebid with Armenoid following. The thing is North Caucasians look more like Mtebid mixed with some common South European phenotype, most often Pontid. Sometimes Iranid is also present. South Caucasians have higher occurrences of Mtebid and it's more prominent with fewer admixes. Pure cases of Armenoid can only be seen at South Caucasus too. You're right on Near Eastern element in South Caucasians, it's almost absent in North.

Also Turanid features would most likely suggest North as they can be found in Dagestan mostly. However they also present in Azerbaijan but much weaker and not so numerous.