PDA

View Full Version : Mountain named after Obama

Loki
11-06-2008, 05:14 PM
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-36345820081105

Antigua and Barbuda pays honor with "Mount Obama"

Wed Nov 5, 2008 11:17pm IST

MIAMI (Reuters) - The Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda paid lofty tribute to U.S. President-elect Barack Obama by renaming the volcanic mountain known as "Boggy Peak."

"I shall take immediate measures for Antigua and Barbuda's highest mountain peak to be dedicated in your honor and renamed 'Mount Obama,'" Prime Minister W. Baldwin Spencer wrote in a congratulatory note to the victorious U.S. presidential candidate on Wednesday.

The 1,327-foot (402-metre) volcanic peak rises over southwestern Antigua in the former British colony whose 85,000 residents are mostly descended from African slaves brought in to harvest the sugar cane fields in the 1700s.

"Your message of change will ignite hope and action in people of many countries who might still be passive in the face of inadequacies and injustice," Spencer wrote to Obama, who will be the first black U.S. president. "Your election will not only transform America, it can transform the world."

Vulpix
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Someone pass me the sick bucket... when will the hysteria over the Obamessiah end :eek::rolleyes2:?

Aragorn
11-06-2008, 10:41 PM
This goes way to far.

The guy nothing acomplished yet of any importance, besides becoming President. Just because he is black, he is a kind of saint? :mad:

WinterMoon
11-07-2008, 01:56 AM
I like the original name "boggy peak" better.