PDA

View Full Version : Malnutrition killing elderly in U.S.

Grumpy Cat
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
In a nation where people die from complications of too much food, some die from having too little. Although malnutrition is often thought of as a killer in the developing world, it's also a problem for the elderly in the United States, according to research published in the May issue of the Annals of Epidemiology.

Researchers from Louisiana State University examined data from 3,141 counties and older adult malnutrition mortality using Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. Between 2,000 and 3,000 older adults die from malnutrition each year, according to CDC data from 2006.

Malnutrition is more prevalent among older adults, especially over the age of 70. They may eat too little, lack nutrition or have digestion problems related to aging. This can stem from certain medications, trouble chewing due to dental issues, problems swallowing or difficulty absorbing nutrients, according to the Mayo Clinic.

The rates of malnutrition mortality among older adults vary widely across communities. The communities with higher levels of socioeconomic disadvantage, social isolation and disability are more likely to have higher rates of malnutrition-related deaths, wrote the author, Matthew Lee, a sociology professor at Louisiana State University.

"Communities where adults are living alone and are widowed have higher rates of dying from malnutrition," he said. "When people are embedded in strong social networks, they fare better."

Lee stumbled across statistics about malnutrition deaths in CDC reports.

"I never heard much about elderly mortality related to malnutrition," he said, because "it’s not an extremely common event." The issue may attract little attention because of its demographic, he said. "People get old, they’re expected to pass on and people don’t think much about the causes of it at that point."

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/02/malnutrition-killing-elderly-in-u-s/?hpt=T3

lei.talk
12-15-2010, 02:18 PM
i remember reading in the seventies
that each of the constellation of symptoms
categorized under the label of "old age"
are the result of long-term malnutrition
and inactivity.

i have been mocked,
since then, for going to the opposite extreme
in super-nutrition (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18905) and exercise (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=112531#post112531).

to the best of my knowledge
those critics have expired of "old age"
or are confined to nursing-homes, currently. :biggrin:

Loki
12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome to American-style capitalism. I feel sorry for the have-nots in the US. Society has been taught to look down on them. Didn't Jesus say: "the poor will always be with you"? Yeah, some want to make sure it remains a fulfilled prophecy.

Bloodeagle
12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome to American-style capitalism. I feel sorry for the have-nots in the US. Society has been taught to look down on them. Didn't Jesus say: "the poor will always be with you"? Yeah, some want to make sure it remains a fulfilled prophecy.

I believe the article was steered more towards the fact that the elderly do not take care of themselves as well as they should.
I have seen how a widow and a widower will stop eating properly and start to waste away.
Often times, if no one is there to keep an eye on them, they will die of malnutrition.