PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Farage would axe 'much of' race discrimination laws

Loki
03-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Nigel Farage would axe 'much of' race discrimination laws (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31846453)

UKIP would scrap much of the legislation designed to prevent racial discrimination in work, party leader Nigel Farage has said.

He was speaking in a Channel 4 documentary to be shown next week.

Downing Street said his comments were "deeply concerning", while Labour branded them "shocking".

Mr Farage told the BBC his remarks, recorded last autumn, had been "wilfully misinterpreted", saying he was talking about nationality not race.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today Programme he said he was making the point that employers should be able to discriminate in favour of British workers.

"I didn't mention race at all. There was no part of that interview which I ever said it at all.

"What I said was that I do believe there should be a presumption for British employers in favour of them employing British people as opposed to somebody from Poland. That is exactly what I said," he added.

The Channel 4 programme makers say they have not misrepresented Mr Farage's views.

"He was asked a direct question on whether there would be a law against discrimination on the grounds of race or colour and he replied no," they said.

'Colour-blind'

Mr Farage's original comments came during an interview with the former head of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission, Trevor Phillips, for a Channel 4 documentary called Things We Won't Say About Race That Are True.

He said that while concern over preventing racial discrimination in employment "would probably have been valid" 40 years ago, it is not today.

"If I talked to my children... about the question of race, they wouldn't know what I was talking about," he was reported to say.

He also said he would get rid of "much of" existing legislation.

And when asked if he would retain a ban on discrimination on the grounds of race or colour, he said: "No... because we take the view, we are colour-blind. We as a party are colour-blind."

Criticising recruitment laws, he said: "I think the employer should be much freer to make decisions on who she or he employs.

"I think the situation that we now have, where an employer is not allowed to choose between a British-born person and somebody from Poland, is a ludicrous state of affairs.

"I would argue that the law does need changing, and that if an employer wishes to choose, or you can use the word 'discriminate' if you want to, but wishes to choose to employ a British-born person, they should be allowed to do so."

What are the race discrimination laws?

The 1965 Race Relations Act was the first legislation in the UK to outlaw racial discrimination in public places
It forbid discrimination on the "grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins" in public places and covered both British residents and overseas visitors
The law was tightened up in 1968 when racial discrimination was extended to include employment and housing
It was further extended in 1976 to identify direct and indirect discrimination and establish the Commission for Racial Equality
The Equality Act 2010, begun under Labour and introduced by the coalition, simplified and strengthened the law
It makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against employees because of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
There are four main types of racial discrimination: direct, indirect, victimisation and harassment
Positive action is only allowed if a particular racial group suffers a disadvantage, is disproportionately under represented or has needs that are different from those of other racial groups in the workforce
Employers can only take positive action if it is a proportionate way of tackling the under representation of a particular racial group, without discriminating against others
Positive discrimination, which can be regarded as preferential treatment of member of a minority group, is different, and is illegal in Great Britain.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Asked about his remarks on Today, Mr Farage said: "My comments have been wilfully misinterpreted. I have made no comments about the Race Relations Act at all.

"I have made comments in favour of British people getting jobs over and above those from southern eastern Europe."

The UKIP leader said he was speaking up for Britain's unemployed youth "both black and white", saying the young black community had suffered the biggest rise in unemployment as a result of immigration.

He said Gordon Brown, as Labour prime minister, spoke of British jobs for British workers, adding: "Well I'm saying it and really meaning it."

'Strongly disagree'

Downing Street described Nigel Farage's call to scrap equalities legislation as "deeply concerning."

"Nigel Farage is wrong and desperate for attention. The laws are there to protect people from racial discrimination," Number 10 said.

Labour's shadow justice secretary Sadiq Khan said Mr Farage's comments were one of the most shocking things he had ever heard from a mainstream politician.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/81589000/jpg/_81589737_81589735.jpg
Labour's justice spokesman, Sadiq Khan, said Mr Farage's comments were "shocking"

Mr Khan said: "We have made huge progress on tackling racial inequality and discrimination in this country, partly because of Labour's strong anti-discrimination laws, but things are still far from perfect.

"When my parents moved to London they frequently saw signs saying 'no blacks, no dogs, no Irish'. What UKIP is suggesting would take us back to those days."

Liberal Democrat leader and deputy prime minister Nick Clegg was asked about Mr Farage's comments during his weekly radio phone-in on LBC.

He told the programme he "strongly disagreed" with what Mr Farage said, adding that "discrimination laws are there for a reason."

He said the UKIP leader was "irresponsible" to conflate issues with employment legislation to problems like violent extremism and Sharia law.

Anthropos
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Seems to me that Farage adressed divide and conquer tactics for cheaper labour; enough to get oneself slammed for racism in some countries. I don't even have any positive regard for him as a politician, but I will give him and UKIP the respect that they deserve for trying to make things better for UK citizens.

Knowing something about your sympathies from another thread, what do you have against UKIP, Loki? I think they are probably good for the UK, and what I have against them is the way they are acting on the bigger political scene in the EU and in the media, where they are putting on a stupid drama queen act like they don't mind dragging politicians with similar convictions from other countries in the dirt, which is disgusting, but on the other hand I want what's best for the UK and for UK citizens.

Methmatician
03-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Nigel Farage sounds like a knob in this article. Is he like this usually?

Longbowman
03-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Yes.

Loki
03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Knowing something about your sympathies from another thread, what do you have against UKIP, Loki?

I am not against them, I would wish they won the elections. Far better than the other options.

Loki
03-12-2015, 05:32 PM

He is like "that", yes. But unsure why you think he sounds like a knob. He just sounds typically British.

Graham
03-12-2015, 05:40 PM
That would be a popular act with many Working Class Brits.

Not a big deal to me. But I know it is with others.

LightHouse89
03-12-2015, 05:42 PM
In america liberals would hang someone for such a thing.

LightHouse89
03-12-2015, 05:42 PM
the UK should be more like America and embrace more diversity.

Catkin
03-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Distinguishes UKIP from the Conservatives a bit more. Rather than just taking votes away from the Tories this sort of stance could steal support from Labour too.

Loki
03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Distinguishes UKIP from the Conservatives a bit more. Rather than just taking votes away from the Tories this sort of stance could steal support from Labour too.

Yes, definitely. It would of course be decried as "racism" by the Tories and Labour, but in the end I think the voter would like this, and that's what's most important here.

Dandelion
03-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Shocking where?

Graham
03-12-2015, 06:09 PM
It's the fundamental reason why the Conservatives have leaked their vote to UKIP. Immigration is their weak point & they'll lose that argument. That's why Cameron is against these debates.

For Labour, immigration isn't a topic they'll lose ground on either, because people know what they stand for.

Neon Knight
03-13-2015, 10:16 PM
I think Farage was just tricked into saying things he did not mean.

What are the race discrimination laws?

The 1965 Race Relations Act was the first legislation in the UK to outlaw racial discrimination in public places
It forbid discrimination on the "grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins" in public places and covered both British residents and overseas visitors
The law was tightened up in 1968 when racial discrimination was extended to include employment and housing
It was further extended in 1976 to identify direct and indirect discrimination and establish the Commission for Racial Equality
The Equality Act 2010, begun under Labour and introduced by the coalition, simplified and strengthened the law
It makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against employees because of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
There are four main types of racial discrimination: direct, indirect, victimisation and harassment
Positive action is only allowed if a particular racial group suffers a disadvantage, is disproportionately under represented or has needs that are different from those of other racial groups in the workforce
Employers can only take positive action if it is a proportionate way of tackling the under representation of a particular racial group, without discriminating against others
Positive discrimination, which can be regarded as preferential treatment of member of a minority group, is different, and is illegal in Great Britain.Note how it starts off sensibly then turns into something which undermines national identity.

Darth Revan
03-13-2015, 11:20 PM
It's a very normal suggestion. To secure employment for the natives over employment for foreigners. Fits with the Nation-State configuration.

It's however a problem for the global market and the interests that prefer full workforce mobility.
No wonder the Conservatives oppose it, as well as the useful idiots of the antiracist/left-wing ideological camp.