PDA

View Full Version : Nasa analysis showing record global warming undermines the sceptics

hereward
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
The global temperature has risen to a record for a 12-month period, according to Nasa.
The analysis undermines the case made by climate sceptics, who have used the slight cooling trend in recent years to argue that man-made emissions are not causing global warming.
The average surface temperature for the year to the end of April was about 0.65 of a degree Celsius (1.17 degree Fahrenheit) higher than the 1951 to 1980 average, according to Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies. That makes it a fraction warmer than the previous peak detected by Nasa in 2005.
The Nasa study said: “We conclude that there has been no reduction in the global warming trend of 0.15-0.20°C/decade that began in the late 1970s.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7142976.ece

In the Southeast of England the summer months have been quite cooler and the winters much colder and more prolonged since 2006. The weather seems to be normal now, reminds me of my childhood throughout the 80’s.

Cato
06-10-2010, 12:24 AM
The global temperature has risen to a record for a 12-month period, according to Nasa.
The analysis undermines the case made by climate sceptics, who have used the slight cooling trend in recent years to argue that man-made emissions are not causing global warming.
The average surface temperature for the year to the end of April was about 0.65 of a degree Celsius (1.17 degree Fahrenheit) higher than the 1951 to 1980 average, according to Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies. That makes it a fraction warmer than the previous peak detected by Nasa in 2005.
The Nasa study said: “We conclude that there has been no reduction in the global warming trend of 0.15-0.20°C/decade that began in the late 1970s.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7142976.ece

In the Southeast of England the summer months have been quite cooler and the winters much colder and more prolonged since 2006. The weather seems to be normal now, reminds me of my childhood throughout the 80’s.

Bullshit-induced heart attack aghhh.
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Technology/images/heart-attack.jpg

Tabiti
06-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Really?
We had quite long and cold winter and cool spring. BUT, it should be from the vapours melting ice caps form that cause the snowfalls and rain in the Northern hemisphere, right?;)

Cail
06-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I'd welcome a global warming of 9-10°C :D.

It must be taken into consideration that we live in the end of a glaciation period, so the temperature rise is natural. And it is not the first time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Ice_Age_Temperature.png

SilverKnight
06-15-2010, 02:00 AM
zIJ0XZYok_o

Svipdag
06-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Short-term phenomena, spikes and dips in the temperature record on a time scale of years or tens of years are irrelevant. Even during an ice age there would be occasional temperature spikes. The processes of global warming and global refrigeration operate on a time scale of thousands or even tens of thousands of years.

Interstadial reversals of glaciation and deglaciation have occurred repeatedly in the paleoclimatic record. It is the long-term trend which is important. We do not know whether the present overall warming trend represents a minor interstadial reversal within the Wisconsinan or Würm glaciation or the beginning of a true Interglacial Age.

If the former, the glaciers could return at any time . THAT is much more to be feared than the projected effects of continued warming. We could not cope with the return of the continental ice sheets.[To tell the truth, there isn't much that we CAN cope with. We're too busy playing the "blame game".]
Most of our northern cities would be wiped out and the resulting demographc shifts would result in sociopolitical chaos.

If this be, instead, the beginning of a new Interglacial Age, the paleoclimatic record shows that the previous ones, of which there have been at least three, have lasted between 100,000 and 300,000 years. We do not know what causes them. Our puny efforts have had nothing to do with them and still don't.

Even if the next Interglacial Age were only 100,000 years in duration, temperatures wouldn't peak for about 37,000 years, so we have a LONG period of natural global warming to look forward to. Instead of wasting time, effort, and money trying to reduce "greenhouse gases" , which, in the overall process of deglaciation, are probably insignificant, it is about time we started trying to anticipate and cope with the effects of shifting climatic belts, melting of continental ice sheets, rise of sea level, i.e., all of the effects of prolonged global warming which would be INEVITABLE.

We need to be prepared, like good little Boy Scouts for the climatic, oceanographic,geological, social, and political effects which will ensue, whichever way the cat jumps. We MUST try to be ready for either renewed glaciation or continued global warming. At present, we are totally unprepared for either.

Austin
06-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Eh a bunch of poor people drowning, most of which will be poor non-European people. The Europeans that are at risk will escape as they are rich, I'm not worried.

Either way it is a bunch of BS peddled by university staff who want larger government grants for their bullshit research into global warming.