PDA

View Full Version : I am part Mi'kmaw

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
03-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Interesting discovery I made today, my direct ancestor Pierre Lejeune (Acadian) married an Indian Mi'kmaw (Mi'kmaq, Micmac) woman and had children, one of which is my direct ancestor.

So I am just a little bit Mi'kmaw.

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Yeah not surprising really. Many Acadians (French-Canadians) mixed early on with Native peoples in Canada.

Insuperable
03-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Howgh.

StonyArabia
03-15-2015, 04:33 PM
That's pretty bad ass. Well I have an Acadian friend and she is also part Micmac, she is around 6% Native American. The French did intermingle with the natives at the start. Although we do have a distinct métis or mestizo community in Canada they range in looks. Cool find dude.

Gooding
03-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Interesting discovery I made today, my direct ancestor Pierre Lejeune (Acadian) married an Indian Mi'kmaw (Mi'kmaq, Micmac) woman and had children, one of which is my direct ancestor.

So I am just a little bit Mi'kmaw.

If this Pierre had a sister named Catherine Lejeune who married Francois Savoie, you and I are extremely distant cousins..

Trogdor
03-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Did you think it was possible that you had Native ancestry before you found this out?

Carignan
03-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Yeah not surprising really. Many Acadians (French-Canadians) mixed early on with Native peoples in Canada.

There were mixed marriages, but they were rare. Most people married other French settlers. I have Acadian ancestors and I don't have native blood coming through this part of my tree.

03-15-2015, 04:39 PM
If this Pierre had a sister named Catherine Lejeune who married Francois Savoie, you and I are extremely distant cousins..

Yep

03-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Did you think it was possible that you had Native ancestry before you found this out?

Family always said we were part Native descended.

Trogdor
03-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Family always said we were part Native descended.

Ah. Nice find man.

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Most French-Canadians are distant cousins. They come from an intiially small founder population that settled on the east coast of Canada and Quebec during the 1600s. You can see it reflected in their Relative Finder results at 23andme.

03-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Pierre was the father of Catherine but she had a brother named Pierre as well.

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 04:45 PM
There were mixed marriages, but they were rare. Most people married other French settlers. I have Acadian ancestors and I don't have native blood coming through this part of my tree.

True yeah they were more rare than non-mixed marriages but I think the French tended to mix more freely with Natives at least early on compared to the Brits. That could be simply because the French were here earlier in many cases although I am not 100% sure on this. Of course some Brits also mixed especially the Scots but I see more Natives around my neck of the woods here in Northern Ontario with French surnames rather than British Isles ones. That could just be the case in my area though. It may and actually probably does not apply everywhere else.

03-15-2015, 04:46 PM
The woman Pierre married may have been the daughter of Membertouji'j Grand Chief of Mi'kmaw nation.

Carignan
03-15-2015, 04:47 PM
I have read somewhere that for a founding population of around 5000-6000 individuals, there are 7-8 millions French-Canadians

03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
The Lejeune family came to Lousiana eventually and became Cajuns, so all the descendants can say they have some Mi'kmaw blood.

03-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Pierre was the father of Catherine but she had a brother named Pierre as well.

Catherine was half Mi'kmaw.

Gooding
03-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Catherine was half Mi'kmaw.

In that case, hell, I've got Mik'maw blood too! I just thought it was cool that I was descended from Francois Savoie.. the Savoies were supposed to be a Northern Italian family who wound up being Italy's royal family for awhile. I was thinking you were descended from Catherine's brother Pierre..

Carignan
03-15-2015, 05:01 PM
True yeah they were more rare than non-mixed marriages but I think the French tended to mix more freely with Natives at least early on compared to the Brits. That could be simply because the French were here earlier in many cases although I am not 100% sure on this. Of course some Brits also mixed especially the Scots but I see more Natives around my neck of the woods here in Northern Ontario with French surnames rather than British Isles ones. That could just be the case in my area though. It may and actually probably does not apply everywhere else.

It was more common among the French, but I believe that a lot of the mixed children integrated the Native and Metis populations instead of the French Canadian population. I have personally done my genealogy and my native ancestry comes from first generation immigrants who mixed with native women. I have not received new native input in 13-14 generations. What I have comes from 4 different individuals.

Kazimiera
03-15-2015, 05:03 PM
This is really cool! Congratulations!

03-15-2015, 05:03 PM
In that case, hell, I've got Mik'maw blood too! I just thought it was cool that I was descended from Francois Savoie.. the Savoies were supposed to be a Northern Italian family who wound up being Italy's royal family for awhile. I was thinking you were descended from Catherine's brother Pierre..

No, Catherine is my ancestor...Pierre is her father who I was talking about. I am descended from Catherine and her husband the Savoie. I also thought of that when I saw this name in my family history!!

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 05:08 PM
It was more common among the French, but I believe that a lot of the mixed children integrated the Native and Metis populations instead of the French Canadian population. I have personally done my genealogy and my native ancestry comes from first generation immigrants who mixed with native women. I have not received new native input in 13-14 generations. What I have comes from 4 different individuals.

Yeah in most cases I think that you are right. Genetic studies have shown that the vast majority of Y-chromosomes among the Ojibwa people in Ontario and Minnesota are of European origin and most of these are probably from French fur trader male ancestors. The children of these unions between French fur traders and Native women early on were raised as Natives within Native communities as their fathers tended to move on and their French or European ancestry was down played compared to their Native ancestry and in some cases almost totally forgotten. This tends to go along in some ways at least with most Natives in my area having French surnames.

Gooding
No, Catherine is my ancestor...Pierre is her father who I was talking about. I am descended from Catherine and her husband the Savoie. I also thought of that when I saw this name in my family history!!

That's great! I descend from their daughters Jeanne and Andree, who married into the Prejean and Pellerin families.. who in their turn married into the Sigur and Pecot families from whom my great grandmother, Marie Elodie Pecot, descends. It's an extremely small world, isn't it?

Carignan

Acording to the website I use for genealogy, Both Pierre Savoie and Catherine Lejeune were born in Martaizé, Vienne, Poitou-Charentes

Wadaad
03-15-2015, 05:10 PM
So is every other person from Nova Scotia

btw the Miqimaq were hunted to extinction like animals.

03-15-2015, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't say every person from Nova Scotia has Mi'kmaw ancestry. Also, it's true and it's sad.

StonyArabia
03-15-2015, 05:13 PM

The Beothuk to

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 05:13 PM

Yes they were unfortunately. Rewards and prizes were given to European settlers who killed Mikmaq people. One of my good friends actually has ancestors who did that.

Wadaad
03-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Acording to the website I use for genealogy, Both Pierre Savoie and Catherine Lejeune were born in Martaizé, Vienne, Poitou-Charentes

You are a race realist yet have to resort to websites (institutions) to research your paternity? LOL

Carignan
03-15-2015, 05:18 PM
You are a race realist yet have to resort to websites (institutions) to research your paternity? LOL

what you are implying?

03-15-2015, 05:19 PM

They should be avenged somehow.

Trogdor
03-15-2015, 05:21 PM
The native people of Canada have a similar history to native people in the States. They were basically forced out of their own land by the colonizers.

Gooding
03-15-2015, 05:21 PM
They should be avenged somehow.

In fact, the entire Acadian people, French and Mik'maw alike are due some reparations for what happened to them. An apology at the very least.

StonyArabia
03-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Yeah in most cases I think that you are right. Genetic studies have shown that the vast majority of Y-chromosomes among the Ojibwa people in Ontario and Minnesota are of European origin and most of these are probably from French fur trader male ancestors. The children of these unions between French fur traders and Native women early on were raised as Natives within Native communities as their fathers tended to move on and their French or European ancestry was down played compared to their Native ancestry and in some cases almost totally forgotten. This tends to go along in some ways at least with most Natives in my area having French surnames.

Here most natives in Alberta have either very Native American surnames like wildcat for example or British isle derived ones. The British did not intermix much with the natives like the French or especially the Spanish. The Spanish surnames are heavy among the native Americans of the southwest. It seemed that the Romancd Roman Catholics were more open to intermarriage than the Celto-Germanic Protestants.

Gooding
03-15-2015, 05:32 PM
I just realized.. that's probably where my .2% Native American reading on 23andMe comes from..

Black Wolf
03-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Here most natives in Alberta have either very Native American surnames like wildcat for example or British isle derived ones. The British did not intermix much with the natives like the French or especially the Spanish. The Spanish surnames are heavy among the native Americans of the southwest. It seemed that the Romancd Roman Catholics were more open to intermarriage than the Celto-Germanic Protestants.

Yeah some of the Natives around here have Native type surnames like Morningstar and some have surnames that are actually a mixture of French and Ojibwa names melded together which is rather interesting. There are some here and there with British Isles derived surnames but the majority around here have French origin surnames.