PDA

View Full Version : Is this weird?

Johan887
03-18-2015, 05:31 AM
Growing up my mother said she was English, and I was half English, half South European. Although I took after my mother, people kept saying I looked foreign. My mother and I are naturally tan all year round, people found that odd. A few years ago, my mother was signing something and signed with her last name also. The person at the counter asked if it was Hebrew/Yiddish, she said yes. After this I decided to research my family in my area. I found some pictures and one was an 1800's photo of one of my relatives/ancestors, with her Hasidic husband. I asked my mother what the word 'ashkenazi' meant. She did not know and asked me why I asked her. I told her according to research her family has ashkenazi roots. She replied with 'oh, is it Jewish?' and didn't seem too impressed. Looking at my nephews, they don't look 100% English either, and they all have black hair. Is it strange my mother hid this? I grew up culturally 100% English though Christmas was really more like a bank holiday with presents, not some big celebration. Family never came around.

Johan887
03-18-2015, 06:55 AM
anyone?

Aviator
03-18-2015, 06:56 AM
What do you want to hear? That's it's weird, or that it's not?

Harley
03-18-2015, 09:39 AM
I think it's normal that many people grew up not knowing much about their culture, but it looks like you were able to dig into your background rather easily.

It's possible that your mother didn't consider it an important subject. Have you talked to her about it since to ask why she has not freely discussed your ancestry with you?