PDA

View Full Version : Russia Wants to Cut Staff Benefits for Same-Sex Couples in the U.N.

European Knight
03-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Russia has asked a United Nations General Assembly committee to vote on Tuesday on its proposal to stop the world body extending staff benefits to all same-sex couples, diplomats said.

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said in July that the United Nations would recognize all same-sex marriages of its staff, allowing them to receive U.N. benefits.

Previously, staff members' personal status was determined by the laws of their country of nationality. But the United Nations now recognizes all same-sex couples married in a country where it is legal, regardless of their nationality.

Russia wants the General Assembly Fifth Committee, which deals with the United Nations budget, to overturn Ban's decision and requested a vote on Tuesday. Russia has been threatening to put the measure to a vote since December.

The Fifth Committee website was updated on Friday to show that "action" would be taken on the proposal on Tuesday.

Diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was unclear how much support there was for the measure. The Russian U.N. mission declined to comment.

Russia triggered global criticism in 2013 when it banned spreading "gay propaganda" to children. Critics denounced the law as discriminatory and said it is a curb on rights to free speech and assembly.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said there is no gay discrimination in Russia, which decriminalized homosexuality in 1993.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-wants-to-cut-same-sex-couples-staff-benefits-in-the-un/517819.html

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/upload/iblock/e19/samesex.jpg

Anthropos
03-21-2015, 12:23 PM
I didn't understand exactly. Is the UN handing out special gifts to same-sex couples to celebrate their sexuality?

Arbėrori
03-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Why should one take benefit for being gay? Absurd.

Methmatician
03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Why should one take benefit for being gay? Absurd.

I didn't understand exactly. Is the UN handing out special gifts to same-sex couples to celebrate their sexuality?
The benefits are the same benefits any married person gets. Russia just doesn't want homosexuals receiving the same benefits heterosexuals get for being married.

“What this means is simple: if you a staff member in a legal union, the UN will recognize it. If you were thinking of entering into one, you can now do so with the full knowledge that the UN will recognize it."

“Too many of us have suffered under the previous policy. Too many of us have been unable to secure, for example, residency visas, and health benefits for our spouses because of a discriminatory policy that would refuse to recognize our legal partners."

"This includes the UNJSPF, our pension fund."

"In fact, with this new policy in place at the UN, it is my hope that the pension fund will be under a lot of pressure to change its discriminatory policies towards staff. And we will be front and center advocating for change."

A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT: THE UN WILL NOW RECOGNIZE STAFF MEMBERS' LEGAL SAME-SEX UNIONS (3 July 2014) (http://www.unglobe.org/our-advocacy/)

Drakoblare
03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Russia, savior of the cis-scum race.

StormBringer
03-21-2015, 12:42 PM

It's probably some sort of benefits for the wife/husband of someone employed by UN.This seems to be it.

Can I serve together with my partner? [go to top]
The UNV programme accepts registrations from couples wishing to volunteer together. However, given that we are a demand-driven programme, it is very rare that couples are selected at the same time for the same duty station. In some cases, when a candidate accepts a UNV assignment in a family duty station, his/her legally recognized partner can accompany the UN Volunteer as a dependent. The partner can then look for volunteer opportunities locally, provided the authorities of the host country do not object.

Arbėrori
03-21-2015, 12:44 PM
The benefits are the same benefits any married person gets. Russia just doesn't want homosexuals receiving the same benefits heterosexuals get for being married.

Why should anyone get benefits for being married? Idiots.

Methmatician
03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Why should anyone get benefits for being married? Idiots.
Refer back to my post, I edited in what they receive.