PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Oinakos Growion
06-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I've recently found this forum virtually by chance, and for the looks of it I'm glad I did.

I don't think I'll be posting much but I'll sure be reading. I'm one of those who believes that it's better to remain silent if you really have nothing substantial to say, namely on the internet, where things can so easily get out of hand. So unless I feel I can contribute in a constructive way I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

A bit more about me (let's make the post a bit longer since it's the first one)... ;)
I'm a Galician patriot with a strong feeling for European cultures and peoples. I've been fortunate enough to travel (still do) around our continent - and not only - and over time this has reinforced in my mind the idea that despite all the (welcomed) differences in Europe we do certainly share a common European spirit, different to any other. Call it the "Intangible Heritage" if you want. Still, I greatly enjoy, appreciate and encourage what makes each European People/nation unique, because that is - after all - a fundamental characteristic of Europe. In other words: I love to feel in Germany when I'm in Germany. I love to feel in Italy when I'm in Italy. I love to feel in France when I'm in France or in Ireland when I'm in Ireland. I want to go, see, know, and I always am very careful in respecting the land and friends generously hosting me for a while; I love to do the same and let people know about the good things in my land, show them if possible. What I don't like is to feel like I'm in the middle of the Caribbean when I'm in Europe; If I wanted that I'd go to the Caribbean (and I'm sure I'd have a great laugh, mind you, but that's besides the point now). Likewise, I'm worrying by the day when I see how my own native land is being transformed into a piece of somewhere else; somewhere I'm afraid I won't even be able to recognise one of these days :(

I am a patriot. I am a nationalist. I love my country, my culture, my language, everything that says "this is Home" to me. But I can also be critical. I'm no stupid (me thinks! :D) and know that every country has its fair share of idiots. This way, I don't put my own culture or country above anyone else's (not below either); we all have our dirty laundry. But still, my identity is constructed by what defines me (land/culture-tradition/language/history). I know how to be what I am. I couldn't be something else; I wouldn't know how anyway! And even with the few idiots on board... well, at least they're "my" fellow idiots, not from the Caribbean... ;)

Aaand... I think that's personal information enough for the moment. After all, you've just met me :D

Murphy
06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Welcome, welcome.

Germanicus
06-15-2010, 10:35 PM
A warm welcome fellow Celt :)

hereward
06-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Welcome, European Union for your Country, tut-tut.

Beorn
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Hello. I am the resident arsehole. And I am about to pass wind. :)

I'm one of those who believes that it's better to remain silent if you really have nothing substantial to say, namely on the internet, where things can so easily get out of hand. So unless I feel I can contribute in a constructive way I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

In real life I strictly abide by the rule to not say anything unless it is nice and/or constructive and positive to the situation, but this is the internet.

This forum strives upon you talking BS.You'll understand that once you read around some more.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5892/nazonsceltas.jpg

"Celts" don't exist. :thumb001:

Murphy
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Much easier to become an alcoholic, say anything you want and then blame it on the drink.

Beorn
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Much easier to become an alcoholic, say anything you want and then blame it on the drink.

You're learning fast kid. :cool:

Germanicus
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Hello. I am the resident arsehole.:

He will discover this in his own time Dave...:)

Bloodeagle
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Welcome, Oinakos Growion. :)

Treffie
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Welcome! :thumb001:

Don
06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Bienvenido, de parte de un Castellano, gentes con las que compartirás más que con cualquier otro europeo, ¿no?

Oinakos Growion
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Thank you all for the welcome :)

Bienvenido, de parte de un Castellano, gentes con las que compartirás más que con cualquier otro europeo, ¿no?
We certainly share lots of things :) Although by cultural and geographical proximity we obviously share more with our northern Portuguese brethren; in fact they are Galaicos too.
But I'm always happy to visit Castille and have many good Castillian friends :)

Cato
06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Howdy.

The Lawspeaker
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Welcome aboard :D

The Ripper
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Welcome. A nice introduction.

Tolleson
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the forum! :wave: