PDA

View Full Version : The beauty queen criticized for not being Japanese enough

Loki
03-25-2015, 10:34 PM
The beauty queen criticized for not being Japanese enough (http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/25/asia/japans-biracial-beauty-queen/index.html)

Tokyo (CNN) A biracial beauty queen in Japan is facing criticism for not being Japanese enough.

Half-Japanese and half African-American, Miss Nagasaki Ariana Miyamoto is the first-ever mixed-race Miss Universe Japan.

Some say she doesn't represent Japan's demographic, while others champion the model, proud that she is overcoming racial hurdles and helping to expand the definition of what it means to be Japanese.

But changing perceptions here can be an uphill struggle. In a culture that typically prefers pale -- where "pure Japanese" white skin is considered a symbol of beauty -- the darker skinned Miyamoto's crowning last week was a revolution on the runway.

On a walk through Tokyo's Harajuku fashion district on Tuesday -- the statuesque 20-year-old attracted stares, photo takers, and curious crowds.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150325125326-ariana-miyamoto-harajuku-street-exlarge-169.jpeg

With a Japanese mother and African-American father from Arkansas, Miyamoto is "haafu" -- meaning half-Japanese.

Bullied for being different

In a country where around 98% of the population is considered to be the same race, this beauty queen says she was bullied for being different.

"In school, people used to throw garbage at me," Miyamoto says -- adding they also used racial slurs.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150325125402-airana-miyamoto-harajuku-street-2-exlarge-169.jpg

"People encounter discrimination and prejudice (in Japan)," says Jeff Kingston, a professor of Asian Studies at Tokyo's Temple University.

He says that Japan has embraced mixed race entertainers and even athletes in recent years, but Miyamoto is the first to break the "beauty barrier."

For a country that is often considered conservative and resistant to change, her crowning presents a different side of Japan internationally, he says.

"It sends a very positive message about the changing Japan to the rest of the world."

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150325112629-ariana-miyamoto-japan-beauty-queen-exlarge-169.jpg

Homogenous homeland

At home, though, many feel Miyamoto, who was born in Nagasaki, shouldn't represent her homogenous homeland.

"No, she doesn't even look Japanese," says middle-aged shopper Ishiko Komagawa.

"Half is not 100% Japanese. If someone is chosen as Miss Japan, both her parents should be Japanese," says high school student Tomoki Nogami.

Miyamoto says the criticism of her crown at home only makes her train harder for the global Miss Universe pageant in January.

"I want to tell the world, even a half-Japanese can represent Japan," Miyamoto says.

Also
03-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Japan is very ethnocentric, so quite expected.

Dandelion
03-25-2015, 10:37 PM
Bad publicity remains publicity. If she knows how to deal with it she'll come out of it stronger and more successful than before.

randomguy1235
03-25-2015, 10:51 PM
I agree with the general Japanese consensus. Beauty contestants in the Old World should be representative of the majority population in the country. In the New World, it shoudln't matter.

Rędwald
03-25-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't think it wrong that 'Miss X Ethnicity' should be 'X Ethnicity'

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/08/no-answer.gif

Dandelion
03-25-2015, 10:59 PM
It's Miss Japan as the country of Japan, not 'Miss Yamato ethnicity' so I don't see why she shouldn't be able to win if she was indeed the strongest candidate this year.

I do think the media are slightly exaggerating though. Plenty of Japanese are fine with her, otherwise she wouldn't have won wouldn't she?
When Tatiana Silva won Miss Belgium with her Cape Verdean roots, people called her condescendingly 'Miss Multiculti' on Flemish forums. She was the first mixed-race winner of the contest ever.
But in hindsight she was the strongest candidate and proved to be the perfect person to represent Belgium now more or less being famous both in Dutch- and French-speaking communities (she is French-speaking, but speaks four languages fluently including ours).

Darth Revan
03-25-2015, 11:01 PM
The only question I have is: Does she have a good ass?

Anima Libera
03-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Well...

Dandelion
03-25-2015, 11:14 PM
The only question I have is: Does she have a good ass?

The 'White Pill aproach' is the best one here what concerns beauty pageants.

Dictator
03-25-2015, 11:17 PM
She is better looking than most half white/black girls I've seen. Looks less slutty too.

Wadaad
1) Her father is the African American yet her last name is Miyamoto? Hmmm

2) Miss World/Miss Universe is not a Japanese concept. It is run by Miss World Inc. and acquird by Donald Trump. Ie, it is an American 'concept'...and America does NOT celebrate homogeneity, they celebrate diversity and mixes. If Japanese or any other ethno-nationalistic people want to be represented fairly, maybe they should organize their own beauty pageants with their own nationalist criteria. Simple

Kamal900
Well...

Your avatar picture says it all, lol.

Kamal900
03-25-2015, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if Rula Jebreal, who's father is Nigerian and mother is Palestinian, was a beauty queen represented my people, lol.

B01AB20
03-25-2015, 11:24 PM
if she was half japanese-white instead of half japanese-black would have appeared the same criticism?

and people saying 'she doesn't even look japanese?

good cuestions no?

Dandelion
03-25-2015, 11:30 PM
1) Her father is the African American yet her last name is Miyamoto? Hmmm

Her father might have adopted a Japanese name and probably has become a Japanese citizen. Which is within the range of possibilities.

Dandelion
03-25-2015, 11:31 PM
if she was half japanese-white instead of half japanese-black would have appeared the same criticism?

good cuestions no?

I'm no expert on Japan, but I'm pretty sure half-white hafus wouldn't got not even half of the flak this woman is getting.

Well, both Asians as Europeans come with fair-skinned variants, hence Eurasians probably are more easily accepted as Asians.

Kamal900
03-25-2015, 11:35 PM

good cuestions no?

The Japanese models in Japan are mostly half Caucasian/half Japanese or "halfu" like Maggie. I think its mainly because she is darker or something.

jatt
03-25-2015, 11:41 PM
there are half south Asian and half Japanese models in japan and they seem to be doing ok.. the lady in question seem pretty then y the fuss

Methmatician
03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
It's 'Miss X Country', not ethnicity.

Rędwald
03-26-2015, 12:12 AM
It's 'Miss X Country', not ethnicity.

Japan is one of the most homogenous nations on Earth though

Wadaad
03-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Japan is one of the most homogenous nations on Earth though

And? Is there a criteria in Miss Universe guidelines that homogenous nations send racially representative people, while multiracial countries can send whoever?

This is like the world cup and people whining about Brazilians playing for Croatia national team for eg...is there anything in FIFA rules that state you must have an ethnically represenative national team?

It seems nationalists want to have their cake and eat it too...They want to be able to be proud of their ethnicities....but they also want to celebrate (as nationalists) in the Globalist's festivities.

Rędwald
03-26-2015, 12:32 AM
And? Is there a criteria in Miss Universe guidelines that homogenous nations send racially representative people, while multiracial countries can send whoever?

This is like the world cup and people whining about Brazilians playing for Croatia national team for eg...is there anything in FIFA rules that state you must have an ethnically represenative national team?

It seems nationalists want to have their cake and eat it too...They want to be able to be proud of their ethnicities....but they also want to celebrate (as nationalists) in the Globalist's festivities.

Not at all, but I just think if a country was made up of 95% of X ethnicity wouldn't they pick that one? I mean most baseball draft picks from Japan are ethnically Japanese that's not a coincidence...I understand what you're saying, and you're right, but I think Japan is a unique case in this circumstance.

nicalandia
05-22-2015, 12:16 AM
The beauty queen criticized for not being Japanese enough (http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/25/asia/japans-biracial-beauty-queen/index.html)

Tokyo (CNN) A biracial beauty queen in Japan is facing criticism for not being Japanese enough.

Half-Japanese and half African-American, Miss Nagasaki Ariana Miyamoto is the first-ever mixed-race Miss Universe Japan.

Some say she doesn't represent Japan's demographic, while others champion the model, proud that she is overcoming racial hurdles and helping to expand the definition of what it means to be Japanese.she really doesnt look half japanese at all, hell I know some miskito Women that look more japanese admixed than her(Miskitos are Amerindian/SSA admixture) she really lack any mongoloid traits

edit.
heck Khoisan look more Japanese/SSA admixed than that beauty qeen
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/23/b6/15/23b615b1c48a9f7ef7301e07ee88f06e.jpg

Armand_Duval
05-22-2015, 12:31 AM
If I were Japanese I wouldn't have liked the ellection either.

Desaix DeBurgh
05-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Japan is very ethnocentric, so quite expected.

Alot of Western nations would be more ethnocentric too if the kikes didn't make it seem pathological through the Frankfurt school and cultural marxism etc.. the kikes haven't done their subverting in japan so you see a more natural approach to life.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Jews_2a119a_371226.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131007090504/hitlerparody/images/b/b2/Hitler_Jaws.jpg

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
05-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Japanese people have some slight racists attitudes towards black people. I know this from seeing it in some of the old anime shows. but usually they are passive about their attitudes and because they have hardly any black people theres no ruckus about it over there.
Japanese people are really just culture grabbers. They have no more real culture, they lost their true traditional japanese roots, the only thing that is genuinely japanese is anime. Except for weird stuff like panty vending machines and cuddling booths ect.

I dont even think many japanese study karate at all or have taken karate

rhiannon
05-22-2015, 12:59 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/08/no-answer.gif

Agree with you.

jatt
05-22-2015, 01:09 AM
I remember a blond beuty queen was booed for not looking Indian. People like to c their own ethnics as Beuty queens

Rafael Passoni
01-14-2022, 05:11 AM
She is half Japanese, but I don't see Asian traits.