PDA

View Full Version : Should Carl XVI Gustaf walk Victoria down the isle?

Eldritch
06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Let's see what Apricians think of this extremely urgent, important and controversial issue.

Please vote and discuss.

The Crown Princess of Sweden has upset church leaders by announcing she wants to be given away by her father when she marries next month.

Swedes consider the practice sexist. Traditionally, the bride and groom walk down the aisle together.

However, Crown Princess Victoria wishes to walk to the altar at Stockholm Cathedral on the arm of her father, King Carl XVI Gustaf, at her wedding to Daniel Westling, a commoner.

http://images.smh.com.au/2010/05/24/1500334/swedishroyals420-420x0.jpg

EDIT:

Sorry, the article I borrowed from is old. The wedding will be this weekend.

antonio
06-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Wedding traditions must be preserved...at least to the point on the future when feminazism and other equally despisable -isms will dictate them: as you well noticed in a recent post about vuvucelas...it's a common case on morons around the world to label as traditional even the freakest event if it's older than past week and it's followed a by number of jerks sufficent to full a photo frame.

Eldritch
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Wedding traditions must be preserved...at least to the point on the future when feminazism and other equally despisable -isms will dictate them: as you well noticed in a recent post about vuvucelas...it's a common case on morons around the world to label as traditional even the freakest event if it's older than past week and it's followed a by number of jerks sufficent to full a photo frame.

Are you saying that Victoria is being selfish in wanting a "hollywood" wedding, even though the father handing the bride over to the groom is not customary in Sweden?

Here's another article, non-committal in a typical women's mag way:

Princess Victoria wants her father to walk her to the altar

http://www.misslopez.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/princess.jpg

Crown Princess Victoria shocked the Swedish church with her intention of having her father, king Carl XVI Gustav, walking her till the altar, the day of her wedding.

The religious institution tells the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that “Victoria shows old-fashioned views on gender equality”

“If Victoria wants to be the princess “of the whole nation”, she needs to rethink about her decision” writes Annika Borg [:eek:], a priest in the Swedish Church, on Dagens Nyheter.

It really looks like the Crown Princess is aiming to an American influenced wedding: Hollywood movies show us often a bride being taken to the altar by her father and “given” to her future spouse. But this does not happen in Sweden. And it didn’t happen in 1976, when Queen Silvia and King got married. That day they went together to the altar.

On the contrary, the Sweden Church dislikes this type of acts, which, in this case symbolize how the woman’s body is handed over from one man to another.

“How could it be that the royal family does not have a deeper knowledge of those Swedish tradition it claims to represent?” continues Annika Borg on the pages of DN.

She confesses to be afraid that Victoria and Daniel’s wedding will create a larger trend in Sweden and destroy much of the work that Swedish priests devoted to enhancing gender equality in the church.

It is quite hard to express an opinion on these matters.

On one side, the Swedish Church is right about the importance of encouraging gender equality, inside and outside the church.

But, on the other hand, the act of a father walking his daughter to the altar, needs to re-be contextualized: princess Victoria is a modern, educated woman, who surely does not share old-fashioned visions on gender equality.

The only thing she is aiming at is a romantic wedding. And having her father walking with her till the altar probably looks like the cherry on top of the cake.

Link. (http://www.misslopez.se/?p=439)

Óttar
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
It shows that she respects her father, and her husband. :cool:

Osweo
06-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Wait a sec; is this 'Swedish tradition' of both partners walking together just a modern bit of gender politics crap? What happened in the old days there, was it the same as here on Earth?

Eldritch
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Wait a sec; is this 'Swedish tradition' of both partners walking together just a modern bit of gender politics crap? What happened in the old days there, was it the same as here on Earth?

Well, according to this article (http://www.aftonbladet.se/brollopet/article7309617.ab) the father walking the bride to the altar is considered neither "traditional or egalitarian" in Sweden.

Now they're negoating some kind of compromise: the king would walk her only half of the way. :dance:

Cail
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
That's so bullshit. Obviously they should do as she wants. If she wanted her whole family, including 3rd cousins, dogs and cats walk her - so be it. If she wanted to ride it on a bicycle - so be it. Her choice.

The Ripper
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Now they're negoating some kind of compromise: the king would walk her only half of the way. :dance:

There is something quintessentially Swedish about this... :rolleyes:

Aemma
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
That's so bullshit. Obviously they should do as she wants. If she wanted her whole family, including 3rd cousins, dogs and cats walk her - so be it. If she wanted to ride it on a bicycle - so be it. Her choice.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :thumb001:

It's their party (and more likely hers in the end), let her live her wee fantasy for a day. It's not going to kill anybody nor change the course of bloody history! People get so hysterical over such nonsense. :rolleyes:

Eldritch
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself! :thumb001:

It's their party (and more likely hers in the end), let her live her wee fantasy for a day. It's not going to kill anybody nor change the course of bloody history! People get so hysterical over such nonsense. :rolleyes:

If she were anyone but the princess of Sweden, I would agree wholeheartedly. Now I'll have to agree only partially. Not that this is a matter of life or death for me, but one could argue that her job is to, ahem, preserve Swedish traditions and way of life in whatever she does.

Considering how expensive royals are, they should do that at least. ;)

The Ripper
06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
But I don't understand, since when has this been "untraditional" in Sweden? As far as I know, the father still walks the bride to the altar in Finland.

Eldritch
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
But I don't understand, since when has this been "untraditional" in Sweden? As far as I know, the father still walks the bride to the altar in Finland.

That, and the other way to do it, have both been common both in Sweden and Finland for at least a century (yeah, I looked it up :rolleyes2:), with the bride and the groom walking up to the altar together being the slightly more popular/common way in both countries.

antonio
06-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Ha,ha, I was on thinking the same as you when I wrote "at least to the point on the future when feminazism and other equally despisable"....trying to figure out if Sweden is a so much bizarrely developed country that present days isms&shits are already traditional for them: as long as they're a kind of model for all Europe...Heaven help us!:D

Ps. You better put on the worse and don't label yourself as an old-fashioned boy with a Swedish.