PDA

View Full Version : Homeless couple forced to pitch tent in graveyard.

Beorn
01-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Homeless couple forced to pitch tent in graveyard

9:21am Tuesday 18th November 2008

By Ben Parsons » (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/biog/3147)

A homeless couple face spending the winter living in a tent in a graveyard because council officials say they do not need urgent help.
Karen and Richard Smith pitch their tent after dark each night in a Brighton cemetery so they do not become a target for gangs.
At dawn, they pack up and begin their daily routine – washing in public toilets and selling magazines to Brighton shoppers.
Now they are preparing to spend a second Christmas outdoors after being repeatedly turned down for housing by Brighton and Hove City Council (http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/) because they are not in “priority need”.
They claim that if they were addicted to class A drugs they would be whisked into bed and breakfast accommodation by outreach workers.
Instead, they make a living from the charity of passers-by while they wait to see if the council can find them a home.
Mrs Smith, 40, who has a heart condition, believes another winter outdoors could kill her.
She was briefly housed while she recovered from an operation earlier this year but was then thrown back on the street – and handed a £140 council tax bill.
She said last night: “It is freezing cold, muddy and wet.
“This winter’s going to be even worse than the last one. I think it could finish me off.
“The last two mornings I’ve got up and haven’t been able to speak for hours because of the cold.”
The couple have been through 15 tents in two years, sapping the cash they raise selling magazines on the streets. Mrs Smith is a familiar sight outside HMV in Western Road, while Mr Smith, 44, sells the Big Issue outside the nearby Waitrose.
Mrs Smith said Brighton and Hove City Council (http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/) told the couple they might be housed early next year but has not offered them anywhere to stay until then.
She became homeless after fleeing a violent relationship in 2000. She and her three children were housed by social services in Portsmouth but ended up living in squats.
Eventually her son was taken into care and the family split up, with Mrs Smith having nowhere to go but the street.
She said homelessness was a trap from which it was almost impossible to escape, adding: “The first couple of months living on the streets are scary.
“You don’t want to get used to it. You want to be part of society.
“I have qualifications in business and computing. I could be doing something better with my life. But without an address it’s impossible to get anywhere.”
A council spokesman confirmed the couple did not meet requirements for emergency housing.
He said: “The homeless legislation we have to work to sets out which category of household the council has a duty to provide accommodation for.
“Ms Smith and her husband applied to us for housing last year and then again earlier this year. In both cases they were found not to be in priority need under homeless legislation.”

Source (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3856199.Homeless_in_a_cemetery/)

Vulpix
01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Easy solution: they should paint themselves brown and reapply.

Beorn
01-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Easy solution: they should paint themselves brown and reapply.

...and have a child; addicted to drugs; from an abused background and so on...

Terrible to think that people native to these shores are denied basic housing when so many not from these shores are allocated housing within days.

Which is why I could explode with anger at silly M.P's who claim their is no housing problem, least of all a problem with assigning housing to foreigners.

Fortis in Arduis
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
This is the problem with the classist analysis: it applies elastoplast where a prophylactic is preferable.

When I lived in Aberdeen I found a council flat within a day of looking for one. Sure enough it was uninhabitable, but my friends who were local could not get one because they lived with their parents, whereas I got priority because my landlord had put my flat up for sale and I had nowhere to go.

Of course... I did have somewhere to go... I could have rented privately.

These guys should have had their problem solved before they became homeless and there has to be some sort of native entitlement put into the picture or the whole welfare system is going to implode.

Beorn
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
When I lived in Aberdeen I found a council flat within a day of looking for one. Sure enough it was uninhabitable, but my friends who were local could not get one because they lived with their parents, whereas I got priority because my landlord had put my flat up for sale and I had nowhere to go.

I'm surprised at that! When I initially applied to the council for homeless accommodation, it took them two days to run checks which included alternative housing in the county of my birth and the county of my parents, and also a check to see if relatives living in Bristol would take me in (I have only elderly relatives in Bristol, and they literally harassed my relatives into accepting me in their homes.), and on the checks went.

Compare it to the experiences of the others of foreign nationalities I conversed with whilst living in hostels was drastically different.

No red tape and insecure hopes for them.

Of course... I did have somewhere to go... I could have rented privately.

Easier said than done. Before I eventually admitted defeat, I wandered South Bristol and enquired to every estate agent and privately owned landlord.
None would touch me without references, a job confirmation, rent and half upfront and numerous other little qualifiers.

Fortis in Arduis
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm surprised at that! When I initially applied to the council for homeless accommodation, it took them two days to run checks which included alternative housing in the county of my birth and the county of my parents, and also a check to see if relatives living in Bristol would take me in (I have only elderly relatives in Bristol, and they literally harassed my relatives into accepting me in their homes.), and on the checks went.

Compare it to the experiences of the others of foreign nationalities I conversed with whilst living in hostels was drastically different.

No red tape and insecure hopes for them.

Easier said than done. Before I eventually admitted defeat, I wandered South Bristol and enquired to every estate agent and privately owned landlord.
None would touch me without references, a job confirmation, rent and half upfront and numerous other little qualifiers.

The system went like this for me:

There was no point in my applying for a council flat properly, as the waiting list is long enough for anyone.

Some flats in 'hard to let' areas are managed privately, for the council, by a company called 'Goodapple'. The waiting list for these was anything up to three months - at that time - which was just before the EU Gypsy invasion.

Now the waiting list, for even the crappest flats is terrible.

I needed a place right away - even just to store my stuff.

So I went directly to the local housing office of the hard-to-let area and took on a flat which nobody wanted. North-West facing on the ground floor. I had to put some effort into making it barely habitable. I later discovered that years ago that someone had been murdered in the flat, which was why one of the floors of the bedroom had been painted grey by the council.

This was a flat which was so hard to let that it had not even been submitted to the privatised 'hard to let' scheme. :eek:

Fortis in Arduis
01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I later discovered that years ago that someone had been murdered in the flat, which was why one of the floors of the bedroom had been painted grey by the council.

Two guys stabbed each other, leaving a juicy blood stain on the wooden floor.

The council painted the floor grey. :eek: