PDA

View Full Version : Should commercial whaling be banned?

Treffie
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Poll added. What are your opinions?

--------------------------

A deal that could regulate whaling for the next 10 years is up for debate at the International Whaling Commission's meeting opening in Agadir, Morocco.

The proposal would see Iceland, Japan and Norway given annual quotas with hunts more tightly scrutinised, while international trade could be banned.

Some anti-whaling countries and some conservation groups support the idea, while others are implacably opposed.

Few observers are prepared to predict whether the deal will be approved.

The week-long annual meeting in Agadir marks the final stage in a two-year US-led process that has seen bitter foes such as Australia and Japan working together in attempts to find areas of compromise.

The global whaling moratorium is without doubt one of the most impressive conservation achievements of our time; yet it's not working for everyone

Two months ago, the IWC chairman released a draft proposal that was based on discussions held over the two years.

Following preparatory talks here on that draft, there were indications that the sides remained far apart.

Australia's commissioner to the IWC, Donna Petrachenko, argued that as things stand, the deal would undermine the commercial whaling moratorium that has been in place since 1986.

"The moratorium must remain in place," she said.

"And what we see in this proposal would be sanctioning of commercial whaling in the Southern Ocean, in a whale sanctuary; and commercial whaling in the North Pacific and commercial whaling in the North Atlantic."

Polarised

On the other side of the divide, whaling countries accused the anti-whaling bloc of not accepting the legitimacy of their concerns.

"There are basically two groups of countries, one in favour of sustainable whaling and the other opposed to whaling, except for Aboriginal subsistence purposes," said Tomas Heidar, Iceland's IWC commissioner.

"To our mind, the logical compromise is limited whaling - but now, as we come to Agadir, we see that not many of the anti-whaling countries are prepared to contemplate anything other than Aboriginal subsistence whaling, so consequently I've no reason to be optimistic that there will be a compromise," he told BBC News.

"But we will continue to work constructively."

Iceland and Australia mark the extreme ends of the spectrum of opinion on the issue; and other anti-whaling countries, such as the US, New Zealand and the majority of EU member states, appear willing to sanction a deal provided it meets their "bottom-line" positions.

Broadly speaking, this means a significant phase-down (ideally a complete phase-out) of Japan's Antarctic hunt, agreement that whale meat is for domestic use only, the end of hunting on threatened species, and the imposition of control measures such as a DNA register of meat.

Whether Japan is prepared to accept a near phase-out of its Antarctic programme is possibly the biggest single factor.

Currently, the draft proposal offers an annual quota of 400 minke whales, going down to 200 after five years.

Conservation groups say these numbers are too high; but Japan says they are too low.

However, some long-time observers believe Tokyo does want to strike a deal and will be offering further concessions as the week unfolds.

Green divisions

For some, such as WWF and Greenpeace, a deal - though far from their perfect solution, which is an end to all whaling - would be a marked improvement on the current situation, wherein Japan, Iceland and Norway set their quotas unilaterally.

"The global whaling moratorium is without doubt one of the most impressive conservation achievements of our time; yet it's not working for everyone," said Wendy Elliott, manager of the species programme with WWF International.

"We have three governments that are whaling commercially, either under the guise of science or under objection to that ban - the quotas are too high in some cases, and there's no international oversight.

"What we're trying to do is to bring that whaling under international control."

However, others back the Australian view that the moratorium must remain intact - not least because some other countries with a whaling past may be looking for a route to renewed hunting.

"It would legitimise commercial whaling, and it would legitimise it for 10 years, rewarding bad behaviour by countries that did not abide by the moratorium," said Andy Ottaway, director of the UK-based group Campaign Whale.

"This deal wouldn't just open the door to commercial whaling, it would kick it wide open, because South Korea has said it wants a slice of the action, and there are whaling sleeping giants out there waiting to re-start."

Source (A deal that could regulate whaling for the next 10 years is up for debate at the International Whaling Commission's meeting opening in Agadir, Morocco.)

Fortis in Arduis
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
If it is a matter of preserving the whale stock then yes, ban it, along with commercial wailing.

Cato
06-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Yep.

Beorn
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Are the Whaling industries in the respective countries going to be recompensed?
I suppose this is yet one more of many thousands of incidents where the lobbyists win by emotional default and honest, hard working men are placed on the scrap heap left to rot.

SwordoftheVistula
06-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Since whales travel in herds (pods) and can be tracked, the most sensible solution is to privatize the whales, so that they can be raised for food. The owners won't allow poaching, and will manage the whales pods in ways which will encourage them to grow, so that they can make more profit. This is what enabled the American Bison (Buffalo) to come back from near extinction to being a common animal.

Jägerstaffel
06-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm not opposed to sustainable whaling, but I think something should be done to conserve threatened species.

Grumpy Cat
06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Depends on the species of whale. If it's an endangered species, yeah, ban it, but for a species like pilot whale, I don't see a problem with hunting them.

Of course, on the other end of the debate, whale meat is really no longer safe for consumption because of the levels of mercury and PCBs in the meat.

This is where "environmentalists" have their priorities off. They do nothing about the corporations which pump pollutants into our oceans but condemn people who hunt and eat whales. These people are getting sick.

Here are some articles:

Toxic foods and Canada's aboriginal population (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/04/28/toxic-arctic-food-contamination-pcb.html)

High levels of PCBs in Faroese pregnant women (http://www.chef-project.dk/PDF/Weihe_dioxin501.pdf)

Pallantides
06-22-2010, 03:44 AM
No!

Does our 'enemies' desire to take away our right to hunt whale in our own waters?

Grumpy Cat
06-22-2010, 03:52 AM
I could go for some whale meat. Good ol' grind og spik.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2751666560_b35aa53cea.jpg

Mmmmm... mercury.

Jägerstaffel
06-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Mercury is a different matter entirely.
With the amount of tuna I eat, I'm doomed anyway.

Grumpy Cat
06-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Mercury is a different matter entirely.
With the amount of tuna I eat, I'm doomed anyway.

Mercury is not really bad in all tuna. Just albacore and bluefin, I think. Which, I doubt you're eating regularly because it's expensive as hell and you can only get it at high-end restaurants around here. Eastern little tuna is what is in most grocery stores and that is relatively low in mercury (still not mercury free, though).

Pallantides
06-22-2010, 04:03 AM
http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/06future/whimg/6137.jpg

Jägerstaffel
06-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Mercury is not really bad in all tuna. Just albacore and bluefin, I think. Which, I doubt you're eating regularly because it's expensive as hell and you can only get it at high-end restaurants around here. Eastern little tuna is what is in most grocery stores and that is relatively low in mercury (still not mercury free, though).

Yeah, no - I eat blue and yellowfin regularly. :)

Grumpy Cat
06-22-2010, 04:08 AM
^^^

http://kvams.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/grindadrap2.jpg

But the Faroese whale hunt isn't commercial, so I guess it doesn't count. I have respect for the Faroese and their hunt, not only because they use every part of the whale but also because they don't make money off of it, but distribute it throughout the village, putting emphasis on the sick, poor, and elderly.

Grumpy Cat
06-22-2010, 04:10 AM
Yeah, no - I eat blue and yellowfin regularly. :)

Wow. I wish I made that kind of money.

Where I am from, bluefin is so expensive that local fishermen dream of catching one, because just one fish can get them enough money to live off of (modestly) the rest of the year without working.

Most of our tuna goes to Japanese markets, though, not locally.

SwordoftheVistula
06-22-2010, 04:25 AM
No!

Does our 'enemies' desire to take away our right to hunt whale in our own waters?

We are all one world, dontcha know?

Tabiti
06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
It should be permitted only in regions where whales are essential source of food (in the far North). Anywhere else there's no need for such "exotic" foods.

Phil75231
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
^^^ Cosigns Tabiti. Whaling is a pointless industry these days and certainly no longer essential to the well-being of any nation (barring "first nation" peoples' traditions). This is especially true for nations as economically advanced as Japan and Norway.

Eldritch
06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't understand why whales should enjoy special protection. Pilot whales aren't endangered. If you demand a ban on whaling, then logically you should call for a ban on all hunting and fishing.

Arrow Cross
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Drastically sanctioned, allowing it only in certain areas on certain populations, to a smaller extent. To the hell with "profit" when we're destroying this planet.

Psychonaut
06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't understand why whales should enjoy special protection. Pilot whales aren't endangered. If you demand a ban on whaling, then logically you should call for a ban on all hunting and fishing.

That cetaceans in general are the most intelligent order (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_%28biology%29) next to primates is reason enough for me to support a ban.

Eldritch
06-24-2010, 12:22 AM
That cetaceans in general are the most intelligent order (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_%28biology%29) next to primates is reason enough for me to support a ban.

Hmmm, point taken. I wonder how much variation in intelligence one should expect there to be between different genii/families/species?

SwordoftheVistula
06-24-2010, 07:47 AM
certainly no longer essential to the well-being of any nation (barring "first nation" peoples' traditions). This is especially true for nations as economically advanced as Japan and Norway.

What disqualifies Japanese and Norwegians from "first nation peoples' traditions?

Bloodeagle
06-24-2010, 07:59 AM
What disqualifies Japanese and Norwegians from "first nation peoples' traditions?

I suppose that they are not simple enough in their ways to qualify as primitive.

SwordoftheVistula
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I suppose that they are not simple enough in their ways to qualify as primitive.

Is there a maximum national average IQ, which if you score above you may not hunt whales?

Bloodeagle
06-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Is there a maximum national average IQ, which if you score above you may not hunt whales?

No, but the ruling governments have treated these "natives" like they were handicapped by giving them the best parking spots at the hunting and fishing departments:D
This must be done in the name of ethnic preservation!

As far as the Japanese and the Norwegians go. They are way to civilized and humane to partake in such barbarism! Shame on them.
:icon_cry:

Not to mention that whale tastes very bad, I have partaken!

Pallantides
06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
No, but the ruling governments have treated these "natives" like they were handicapped by giving them the best parking spots at the hunting and fishing departments:D
This must be done in the name of ethnic preservation!

As far as the Japanese and the Norwegians go. They are way to civilized and humane to partake in such barbarism! Shame on them.
:icon_cry:

Not to mention that whale tastes very bad, I have partaken!

Whale hunting is a tradition and very important for Norwegians especially in the northern parts of the country and whale meat is very good.

Bloodeagle
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Whale hunting is a tradition and very important for Norwegians especially in the northern parts of the country and whale meat is very good.

It's also an opportunity for Norwegians to make some money!;)

In 2009 Japan accepted imports of whale meat from Norway and Iceland for the first time in over a decade. The Norwegian shipment arrived in mid 2008 but was held by Japanese customs until January, 2009 when the Japan Fisheries Agency finally approved the import.

Arrow Cross
06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Meanwhile, many whale species are damn well nearing extinction. With modern means and technology, it's more of a massacre than tradition.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/NorwegianWhaleCatches.png

Eldritch
06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Meanwhile, many whale species are damn well nearing extinction. With modern means and technology, it's more of a massacre than tradition.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/NorwegianWhaleCatches.png

Notice that that graph does not show the population of minke whales, only the numbers caught by Norwegian whalers. And minke whales are hunted all over the world, from Greenland to South Africa to Japan to Brazil.

Radojica
06-26-2010, 10:08 AM
As long as humans are looking upon life on the planet Earth as something which is there just for the sake of humans, while forgetting the importance of biodiversity of life as a whole, i don't see, i cannot see the bright future of human beings. Planet Earth is not here just because of us at this very moment, we are just borrowing it from our descendants, we are just travelers and the planet Earth is the mean of traveling. If we take everything now there won't be anything for others in the future. One thing is absence of some sort of life because of evolution, but totally another, disappearance of life because of our selfishness. So, my answer is yes, it should be banned.

And to answer to those who are wondering like Eldrich is: number of whales is decreasing. You need years for one whale to enter the age of reproducing and you have one, maybe two per generation, while rabbits or deers, or perches you have from 5 or 6 per generation to a few dozen of them. Big difference.

The Lawspeaker
09-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I am mildly in favour of a limited hunt on certain non-endangered whale species - and I actually believe that quota's should remain enforced (and they are rarely met, at least by Norway, Iceland, Greenland and the Faeroe Islands that catch less then their quota) and that there should be an international conducted by these countries (joined by ex-whaling countries like the Netherlands and Britain) into the possibility of ranching such whales on a commercial basis - a bit how you would kill excess or weak animals in a natural reserve.

I think that for the Dutch economy a limited whale hunt and--- even better whale tours could be beneficial as the economy in the north (Friesland and Groningen) is struggling. And such small- scale endeavours should be embraced.
Having said that: there should be a limited tax put on whale products as well as the rule that every part of a whale is to be used for something, and that tax has to be used (set by law) to further study in to the preservation of endangered maritime (thus includes whale) species.