PDA

View Full Version : Rate East Asian Nations by Influence

zhaoyun
04-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Tangent off Armand's thread ranking Euro nations by influence.

How would you rate East Asian nations by historical influence?

Here is my ranking.

China - By far the most influential East Asian nation. The fountain and origin of most East Asian civilization and historically the most dominant power in the region. All trends also point to it regaining a leading role in Asia's future as well.
http://www.zonu.com/images/500X0/2011-08-04-14254/Qing-Dynasty-China-1650.jpg

Mongolia - Created the largest land empire in history. Brought about great destruction to many Eurasian civilizations, yet it also connected many disparate civilizations and created trade routes which prospered even after.
https://freeman-pedia.wikispaces.com/file/view/MONGOL%20EMPIRE%20MAP.jpg/443072780/800x591/MONGOL%20EMPIRE%20MAP.jpg

Japan - The first Asian state to modernize in recent history. A leader in industry and technology for the past century, as well as having a thriving pop industry which has spread throughout the world.
http://jb-hdnp.org/Sarver/Maps/WC/wc21_japempirem.jpg

Korea - Historically under the shadow of China and Japan, but South Korea's recent emergence as a cutting edge nation with a modern industrial base and a powerful pop industry is giving it recognition.
https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/korean_peninsula_rel_2011.jpg

Goujian
04-07-2015, 10:08 PM
China
Mongolia
Japan
Korea
Vietnam

Smeagol
04-07-2015, 10:09 PM
1: China
2: Japan
3: Mongolia
4: Korea
5: Vietnam

Dandelion
04-07-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm going with China, especially with the past and future in mind.

Ivan Kramskoï
04-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Same order.

Damião de Góis
04-07-2015, 10:12 PM
I'd say Japan's brands and culture is more visible in the western world. However, when people see an east asian person they will describe him as "chinese looking".
But my personal vote goes to Mongolia for history's sake.

Rudel
04-07-2015, 10:14 PM
East Asia is China. The rest is peripheral and subordinated, even when it conquers it.

If there must be an order for these specific five :
- China
- Mongolia
- Vietnam
- Japan
- Korea

Wadaad
04-07-2015, 10:15 PM
China

2. Mongolia
3. Japan
4. Vietnam
5. Korea

Wadaad
04-07-2015, 10:16 PM

Vietnam had influence and power over its khmer and laotian neighbors...

Korea was always either a Chinese, Japanese or Mongolian client state. Currently South Korea is an American client state.

Smeagol
04-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Vietnam had influence and power over its khmer and laotian neighbors...

Korea was always either a Chinese, Japanese or Mongolian client state. Currently South Korea is an American client state.

Okay but I think Korean culture is more influential than Vietnam in the modern age. I don't know much about it though.

Kamal900
04-07-2015, 11:36 PM
I would say 1) China(obviously), 2) Mongolia(mostly negative), 3) Japan, 4) Korea(esp today due to K-pop wave phenomenon).

Séamus
04-07-2015, 11:39 PM
China is definitely the most influential - China is the oldest (continuous) civilization in the world. It shaped not only its neighbors but many other growing civilizations. I'm obviously not an expert on the region but from an outsider's perspective Confucian-influenced/majority Asian nations are more successful and ordered than their neighbors.

Confucianism is perhaps the most influential philosophy/worldview in history and you'd battle to overstate the Chinese's contributions to the world.

Rudel
04-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Okay but I think Korean culture is more influential than Vietnam in the modern age. I don't know much about it though.
History doesn't start with the modern age. People lack respect for old nations this days.

Suleiman Arian
04-08-2015, 12:38 AM
Mongolia obviously.

Goujian
04-09-2015, 04:50 AM
China is obvious. I don't have to explain myself.

It's hard to ascertain the exact influence of Mongols in my opinion. In parts of Asia, their influence is mostly negative while in other parts, their influence is positive. There were also pre-Mongol Empire Mongolic polities/tribes.

I don't find myself particularly attached to modern Japanese culture, but I did in the past. I can't deny that it has influence in the realm of pop culture and how Japanese products are considered to be superior. But the only thing I like about Japan now are some of the girls, namely the personality and their looks.

There's nothing much to say Korea. They have good marketing skills, a lot of young people and women are interested in K-pop and K-dramas. Unfortunately, this influence has made many Asians, especially Southeast Asians having some kind of inferiority complex towards Japanese, Koreans, Chinese to some extent. I think it's probably some feeling of inadequacy, but I think they need to feel more pride in their own culture rather than pretending and wanting to be someone they're not.

Vietnam in the past exerted influence and dominance over their neighbors to the south and to the west. But now it's a different story.

zhaoyun
04-09-2015, 04:58 AM
China is obvious. I don't have to explain myself.

It's hard to ascertain the exact influence of Mongols in my opinion. In parts of Asia, their influence is mostly negative while in other parts, their influence is positive. There were also pre-Mongol Empire Mongolic polities/tribes.

I don't find myself particularly attached to modern Japanese culture, but I did in the past. I can't deny that it has influence in the realm of pop culture and how Japanese products are considered to be superior. But the only thing I like about Japan now are some of the girls, namely the personality and their looks.

There's nothing much to say Korea. They have good marketing skills, a lot of young people and women are interested in K-pop and K-dramas. Unfortunately, this influence has made many Asians, especially Southeast Asians having some kind of inferiority complex towards Japanese, Koreans, Chinese to some extent. I think it's probably some feeling of inadequacy, but I think they need to feel more pride in their own culture rather than pretending and wanting to be someone they're not.

Vietnam in the past exerted influence and dominance over their neighbors to the south and to the west. But now it's a different story.

Vietnam still exerts some influence over Laos and Cambodia. Albeit, China's influence is stronger.

Goujian
04-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Vietnam still exerts some influence over Laos and Cambodia. Albeit, China's influence is stronger.

I think Vietnamese grip over those countries was strong in the past few decades but I think it's getting weaker because China is stepping up its influence there.

editor2015
04-10-2015, 01:49 AM
1. China = since Ancient era, well-known civilization. Most influential.

2. Japan = since Modern era, after World War II.

3. Korea = recent, very similar to Japanese cultural wave, but still not popular as much as Japanese. Limited to K-POP and TV series.

Mortimer
04-10-2015, 02:04 AM
I think China

de Burgh II
04-10-2015, 02:23 AM
1) China (influencing its Asian neighbors genetically, linguistically, historically, etc./Sun Tzu which was quite impressive when considering its time period/ brought in some prominent innovations)

2) Mongolia (interesting expansive empire that showed how adept and versatile the Mongolians were from a military perspective that had considerable influence in its own right)

3) Japan (has considerable influence in modern day but not as considerable as much as China and Mongolia)

4) Korea (... nothing more than a annexed vessel during Sino-Japanese struggles which is nothing more than a "Americanized" incarnation that has some considerable influence nowadays in some respects)

Armand_Duval
04-10-2015, 02:23 AM
1.- China without any doubt takes the first.

2.- I'd say Mongolia in the antiquity and in more recent times Japan so I woudn't think it would be fair to let mongolian empire in third but also I wouldn't like to place Japan with all it's great history, rich an sophisticated culture and technological advances in third so I place both as a tie.

3.- Korea.

4.- Indonesia.

5.- Malasia.

6.- Thailand.

7.-Vietnam.

Thunder_shock
04-10-2015, 02:51 AM
1. China
2. Japan
3. Mongolia
4. Korea

Loki
04-10-2015, 09:42 AM
1. China = since Ancient era, well-known civilization. Most influential.

2. Japan = since Modern era, after World War II.

3. Korea = recent, very similar to Japanese cultural wave, but still not popular as much as Japanese. Limited to K-POP and TV series.

And Samsung ;)

Taiga Lake
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I voted China, next would be Mongolia and then the rest.

Armenian Bishop
04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Yes, China has enjoyed a more influential role, in the Far East, as a huge apex in a central location. Japan has also enjoyed a dominant influence in the Far East, but it's size and population are dwarfed by China, and it's location is on the edge of the Far East landmass landscape, despite that it has served as the primary gateway to the Pacific Ocean.

Armenian Bishop
04-10-2015, 10:12 AM
China is the most influential country in the Far East, north of South Asia, and Southeast Asia, while Japan holds a close second place. Silk Trade Routes were channeled into China. China is strategically central to the region. Japan has had a vital role as the gateway to the Pacific Ocean.

Lemon Kush
04-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Japan
Korea
China
Vietnam
Mongolia

robar
04-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Mongolia obviously

editor2015
04-11-2015, 01:05 AM
And Samsung ;)
And LG :love:

zhaoyun
04-11-2015, 04:27 AM
Japan
Korea
China
Vietnam
Mongolia

How is this list remotely accurate?

Kawaiine
04-11-2015, 04:36 AM
of course china

Antimage
07-25-2015, 09:22 AM
China, Japan, Korea and maybe Taiwan. Others are not worth mentioning. Mongolian empire was big but it was 800 years ago or smth what influence do they have today ?

Infinite
07-25-2015, 09:33 AM
China first for sure but its nothing you can be proud of. Even 2 billion horse can be influental like this.

Japan and Korea are more respectable to me.

2- Japan
3- Korea

I didn't even know Mongolia was influental

Mn The Loki TA Son
07-25-2015, 09:39 AM
1.China/Mongolia
2.Japanese
3.Korea
4.Vietnam

Dweller23
07-25-2015, 09:57 AM
China/Mongolia

zhaoyun
07-25-2015, 03:37 PM
China first for sure but its nothing you can be proud of. Even 2 billion horse can be influental like this.

Japan and Korea are more respectable to me.

2- Japan
3- Korea

I didn't even know Mongolia was influental

Well, how do you think China got so big historically? If Korea and Japan were as advanced and dominant through 5000 years, they would have an empire of 1.3 Billion as well.

Goujian
07-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Well, how do you think China got so big historically? If Korea and Japan were as advanced and dominant through 5000 years, they would have an empire of 1.3 Billion as well.

You can't deny the influence that Korean pop culture has, despite how shitty it is. Yes K-pop is for the most part feminine shit, but THAT'S WHAT MATTERS THOUGH! It's influencing and appealing females, which in turn, helps boost the sex appeal of Asian guys. Whats the point of K-pop appealing to dudes? As long as it appeals to girls, it gets the job done as it's literally increasing the SMV of Asian men. In Southeast Asia, where K-pop influence is the most profound, a Korean-looking guy would turn into a benchmarkoid slayer as soon has he lands there.

I think China needs their own version of K-pop. But most importantly we need more people like Hu Bing.

Deneb
07-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Japan and South Korea.

Imam
07-27-2015, 08:17 PM
1. China
2. Japan
3. K-POP xD

#3 has a potential to become #1 in the future. LMAO.

Lawalye
07-27-2015, 08:22 PM
1. Timor Leste
2. Brunei
3. Singapore

You don't trust me ?

Joso
12-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Japan is the first by far!

arkas
12-09-2018, 12:07 AM
China by a huge margin is in top, in Western countries and more so in modern history, Japan is influential, so Mongolia would probably be at the bottom but worldwide and historically, they are second.

China> Mongolia> Japan> Vietnam> Korea

Korea I don't think has been historically strongly influential at all, maybe towards Japan a little, Vietnam outranks them for sure but maybe in modern times they don't.

GreentheViper
12-09-2018, 12:10 AM
China
Mongolia but only because of Khan
Japan
Vietnam
Korea