PDA

View Full Version : 25 reasons why Seoul is now the coolest city in Asia

Goujian
04-17-2015, 09:39 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/reasons-why-seoul-is-the-coolest-city-in-asia-2015-4

1. The food is tangy, piquant, pickled, and awesome

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/552c2d3a6da811ce65ba5f97-909-681/south-korean-food.jpg

Just about every corner watering hole whips up dazzling barbecues, stews, and pickled vegetables. It’s spicy, and that’s a good thing.

2. The locals will go out of their way for you
Even if you don’t speak Korean, locals will eagerly befriend you and build a brotherly bond. It’s called “jeong.” The night might never end.

3. It has everything that once made Tokyo cool

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/552c254c6bb3f71722bd5123-1200-924/seoul-9.jpg

Enjoy science fiction? Seoul is now the inspiration for future cityscapes.

4. It’s in the midst of a global awakening
With dizzying speed, Seoul has emerged as an international hub. Just two decades ago, it was a grimy, industrial, and unpleasant backwater. Now it’s got Gangnam style.

5. The national swill is going premium, and you’ll want to drink a lot of it

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/552c2b7aecad0404074eabf0-1200-924/seoul-10.jpg

Soju — literally, “burned liquor” — is celebrated for its efficiency: It gets you drunk fast and cheap. Many old brands are so bad they double as industrial cleanser. But no more: A wave of newer soju brands are making Korea’s vodka-like drink hip, satisfying, and cosmopolitan.

6. The hiking is beautiful

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/552c2c026da8116d5bba5f98-1200-924/gangcheon.jpg

For centuries, Korea’s mountains have captured the imaginations of kings, scribes, and shamans. Beginner or pro, you’ll never run out of peaks to explore.

7. It has the best of old and new
Medieval palaces, old-school shamans, and traditional wooden homes calledhanok give Seoul its warmth. Getting bored? Hitch a ride to Gangnam for a shopping spree and, if it’s your thing, plastic surgery.

8. The world has made its mark here
Missing home? Try budae jjigae, or “army base stew.” It’s a spam and hot dog concoction inspired by American soldiers. It’s actually surprisingly delicious.

9. It remains a hidden gem
Sure, it’s big and bustling. But Hong Kong, Beijing, and Kyoto still get the bulk of the attention.

10. Life is really efficient

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/552c2ed569bedd0161bd511f-907-681/seoul-12.jpg

A coffee shop on every corner. An incredible mass transit system. And you’ll never miss a TV show during your commute, thanks to the world’s fastest data speeds and wifi connections. Data coverage is even excellent in subway tunnels.

11. Korean music is much more than just K-pop

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/552c2a796da811365aba5f96-910-683/4833409470af0133c0eeo-1.jpg

Gangnam Style is old news at this point. Instead, check out the blissful cacophony of rock, jazz, and indie playing in the Hongdae nightlife district.

12. It’s the capital of one of Asia’s most passionate democracies
Seoul could have more protests per capita than any other city. In one day, this correspondent counted four raucous protests within four adjoining blocks.

13. You can make a difference in the lives of the North Korean people
Think North Korea is some far-off hermit kingdom full of brainwashed minions? Here in Seoul, you can come face-to-face with the refugees who’ve risked everything to escape — and make a big difference in the process.

14. That boyish dictator lives just a couple hours north
South Korea, a peaceful and prosperous country, is still at war with the last bastion of Stalinism. Yet despite the ever-present threat of nuclear annihilation, incessant blustering about war, and hundreds of miles of razor wire, most South Koreans don’t find themselves all that worried. The resilience is inspiring.

15. You can easily visit the DMZ
Bill Clinton called it the “scariest place on Earth.” But in Seoul, it’s the ideal destination for a day out. Like military history? Check out Panmunjom, the so-called truce village operated by the United Nations, where both sides stand face-to-face, theoretically ready to fire at each other in the event of war. Like wildlife? With so little human activity, the DMZ now has plenty of that, too. It’s actually a pretty good place for a picnic.

16. There’s a café for sheep

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/552c2cdfeab8ea7559187249-1200-924/sheep-cafe.jpg

It’s the Year of the Sheep, so why not celebrate? In the artsy backstreets of Hongdae there’s a coffee shop where a small flock of sheep and some patrons mingle and graze freely.

17. Kimchi mandu is all that is missing from your life

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/552c307a69bedd4d62bd5121-1200-924/kimchi-mandu.jpg

Take a Chinese-style dumpling. Stuff it with kimchi. Eat. Your new breakfast.

18. You’ll want your flowers to smell like kimchi
The film Birdman won four Oscars. It also angered a few patriotic Koreans. When Emma Stone’s character casually remarks that a sidewalk flower stall in New York City “smells like f*ing kimchi,” South Koreans winced. Stone’s character clearly isn’t fashionable enough to appreciate the pungent cabbage that people here inhale every day. The reality is, the aroma of kimchi is to die for.

19. You can eat octopus tentacles that squirm in your mouth
When an octopus is killed, its nerve-endings live on, meaning its slimy appendages continue to wriggle and stick to surfaces after death. In Seoul, this is a delicacy called sannakji, a chopped-up little octopus that desperately clings to your mouth as you chew and prepare to wash it down with soju. Be sure to chew thoroughly: the little squirmers can cling to the throat, suffocating a handful of people each year.

20. Koreans make awesome films
Japanese and Hong Kong-based superstars once smashed the Hollywood scene; think Rush Hour and Dragonball Z. Now, Korea is pumping out cult classics like Snowpiercer and Oldboy.

21. The nightlife never ends

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/552c2ff9eab8ea7e68187244-909-681/seoul-14.jpg

Koreans start their drunken, shot-pounding evening with “il-cha”: meal and drinks number one. Then there’s “i-cha“: meal and drinks number two. If you can hold it, you’ll hit up “sam-cha“: meal and drinks number three. If you’re still not vomiting or passed out, you get the picture.

22. The karaoke also never ends
Thought karaoke was a Japanese thing? Neon-lit Korean neighborhoods are overloaded with noraebang, the local answer to this godly Asian invention. And don’t even plan on getting out. As the clock ticks down, the owner will quietly add 10 more minutes, followed by another 10 minutes, and so on… ensuring you’re plenty boozed up and happy to stay all night.

23. It won’t bankrupt you
Tokyo is through the roof. Hong Kong is unbearable. Even Shanghai is getting out of control. But Seoul is surprisingly affordable, with reasonable rents and a fun lifestyle that will keep your wallet intact.

24. It’s clean and increasingly green

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/552c2fa9ecad0436164eabf5-909-681/seoul-13.jpg

Street sweepers are constantly clearing the sidewalks. Garbage is separated by type, and you are legally required to recycle. Parks are popping up. Inspired by New York, the mayor wants to plant a colorful garden to beautify an ugly, rickety overpass.

25. You’ll want to sleep on the floor
Korean homes are equipped with a unique heating system called ondol, which warms up your room via the floor. With the ground below you snug and toasty, you’ll find your floor the perfect substitute for a bed during those unforgiving winters.

Darth Revan
04-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Where is the "girls be hot" reason?

Koreans are quite cute. All my Japanese friends actually joke about how getting a Korean girlfriend is the best :D

Marusya
04-18-2015, 12:16 AM
I find the hip-swaying in this Korean video hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofwFr8o8p0Y

Drawing-slim
04-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Looks like a cool place. The idea of good street food all around sounds good.

Ruyi
04-18-2015, 01:31 AM
I've been there once. It is really beautiful with a fascinating pop culture. I would recommend to anybody who has not been to South Korea to at least give Seoul a try.

MINARDOWICZ
04-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Seoul is cool!

Jägerstaffel
04-18-2015, 02:12 AM
I'd love to go.

coolstorybro
04-18-2015, 02:41 AM
Yes, would also like to visit, heard the Koreans are really xenophobic though.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 02:45 AM
Korea has never been one of the top choices for me to visit in Asia. I guess I'd check it out if I do have a chance. I'd much rather visit Japan, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and other parts of China I haven't been to yet.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Which one is better, Korea or Japan?

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 02:52 AM
Which one is better, Korea or Japan?

Just depends by what you are measuring?

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 02:56 AM
Just depends by what you are measuring?

I'm Asking as a tourist. Which one is more interesting? If I had to choose one, what were your suggestion? Do you know both?

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 02:58 AM
I'm Asking as a tourist. Which one is more interesting? If I had to choose one, what were your suggestion? Do you know both?

Personally I think Japan has a lot more to see. It is bigger and has more varied sites. Remember half of Korea is North Korea, so it's a whole different place, but perhaps more interesting in many ways.

In the end, it comes down to the individual. Both countries have long histories and are interesting.

coolstorybro
04-18-2015, 02:59 AM
Tokyo is amazing, but helps if you know someone to show you around. I don't think it is very interesting as a normal tourist, but if you get locals to show you places then it is second to none.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 03:01 AM
Personally I think Japan has a lot more to see. It is bigger and has more varied sites. Remember half of Korea is North Korea, so it's a whole different place, but perhaps more interesting in many ways.

In the end, it comes down to the individual. Both countries have long histories and are interesting.

Yeah, I'm also think like that. I personally interesting with Japanese culture but I have not much idea about what kind of people they're. :)

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I'm also think like that. I personally interesting with Japanese culture but I have not much idea about what kind of people they're. :)

Actually, Japanese people are the most polite people on earth.

Yes, they can be very xenophobic and racist, but they maintain their politeness to the utmost, so you would rarely see an outward display of this. Koreans are much more likely to display xenophobic hostility than the Japanese are. They are more straightforward.

The tough part is that they are very reserved people so it is hard to get to know them personally.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 03:04 AM

Yes, they can be very xenophobic and racist, but they maintain their politeness to the utmost, so you would rarely see an outward display of this. Koreans are much more likely to display xenophobic hostility than the Japanese are. They are more straightforward.

The tough part is that they are very reserved people so it is hard to get to know them personally.

Did you ever been in Japan or you have some japanese firends?

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Did you ever been in Japan or you have some japanese firends?

I was in Japan only for a short time as a child, so I don't remember much. Yes, I've met many people from Japan.

They really maintain an outward politeness. It is hard to get to know them personally. But there were a couple I got to know well.

Dylan
04-18-2015, 03:11 AM
Korea has never been one of the top choices for me to visit in Asia. I guess I'd check it out if I do have a chance. I'd much rather visit Japan, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and other parts of China I haven't been to yet.

completely agree, where in china have you been? I'm going to Shanghai and Chongqing this summer :D

Dandelion
04-18-2015, 03:12 AM

Well, xenophobic they might be, I also think Japanese racism is a bit over-exaggerated. I still think it's more protectionism and the feeling they are a unique people. Otherwise I wouldn't hear about European foreigners working in Japan for a Japanese company.

Dylan
04-18-2015, 03:12 AM

this could also be different from place to place. were you in a rural part of japan or a more modern city? it sounds like you were in a more traditional less urban area?

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:13 AM
completely agree, where in china have you been? I'm going to Shanghai and Chongqing this summer :D

Pretty much everywhere in the country except the Southwest (where Chongqing is at), some central provinces, and Tibet.

Shanghai is an amazing city. Stay at a hostel, spend some time there, you'll have a blast.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:14 AM
this could also be different from place to place. were you in a rural part of japan or a more modern city? it sounds like you were in a more traditional less urban area?

In Tokyo.

Dylan
04-18-2015, 03:16 AM
In Tokyo.

I couldn't have been more wrong! I've met one japanese couple from Japan. They were possibly the most polite people I've ever met. The woman was from Hokkaido, but I don't remember where the man was from.

Dandelion
04-18-2015, 03:20 AM
As for myself, I would certainly like to visit Seoul. That's one thing I need to do when I'm in my thirties. But for Asia, my wishlist of places to visit is rather big.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an, Hangzhou, Taiwan, much of South Korea, maybe even North Korea (the kafkaesque experience of being stalked by a guide constantly might seem morally questionable, but I believe people should visit it so North Koreans still see a glimpse of the outside world, no matter how repressed), Kanto, Kansai, Hokkaido, much of Thailand, much of Vietnam, etc...

Dylan
04-18-2015, 03:20 AM
Personally I'd rather go to the main cities of Japan, China, and Vietnam, but I'm also biased because of my interest in Chinese + Japanese history. And Vietnam's beauty is pretty tough to beat.
I'm also not into popculture etc. which korea and especially seoul is big on.

Iloko
04-18-2015, 03:21 AM
I've been to the South Korea airport only (Incheon), and I must say that alone was a great experience lol, so clean, and the view out the window was marvelous.

I've met tons of Koreans too, more than any other Asian group besides my own. I've noticed they're really into sports and singing. The men can be quite alpha, while the women are very hot with that strikingly northern appeal. I'd be very interested in visiting Seoul someday, but Tokyo/Japan is on my priority list at the moment.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:25 AM
As for myself, I would certainly like to visit Seoul. That's one thing I need to do when I'm in my thirties. But for Asia, my wishlist of places to visit is rather big.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an, Hangzhou, Taiwan, much of South Korea, maybe even North Korea (the kafkaesque experience of being stalked by a guide constantly might seem morally questionable, but I believe people should visit it so North Korean still see a glimpse of the outside world, no matter how repressed), Kanto, Kansai, Hokkaido, much of Thailand, much of Vietnam, etc...

Xi'an has amazing history, and it is more authentic than places like Beijing and Hangzhou where a lot of the historic areas have been cleaned up. The Moslem quarter in Xi'an is a bastion of Hui culture, and has an ancient 1300 year old Mosque that is hidden along the alley ways. It is the Rome of Asia, considering it's ancient history and the fact that it was once the world's greatest city, and capital of a giant empire.

Scholarios
04-18-2015, 03:28 AM
Ha where are all these luxury soju brands? I've lived in SEOUL 6 years and never saw them. Ah, hipster-yuppie orientalism.

So much nonsense. The Fast data speed connections everywhere is true though. I love Korea, but Japan is still culturally superior, unfortunately- by a lot. Much of China too.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:32 AM
Ha where are all these luxury soju brands? I've lived in SEOUL 6 years and never saw them. Ah, hipster-yuppie orientalism.

So much nonsense. The Fast data speed connections everywhere is true though. I love Korea, but Japan is still culturally superior, unfortunately- by a lot. Much of China too.

Oddly, from my experience, it seems like many expats who have lived in Japan or China (or some ethnic Chinese place like Taiwan, HK, Singapore) develop a fondness for the local culture. But many who have lived in Korea come away with a sour experience?

Scholarios
04-18-2015, 03:46 AM

I have to say that though this * sounds * correct, I find almost the exact opposite to be true. Koreans will rarely openly express such things to foreigners- well, at least to Western foreigners. I wouldn't say Koreans are polite, but for instance the anti-immigrant marches or the " foreigners go home" vans of Japan can never come to Korea. Whereas, Koreans on the whole are much more likely to respond they'd disown their children for marrying a non-Korean, you're much less likely to know it. The " Japanese Only" sign is common in tourist areas of Kyoto and Osaka at least, but very rare in Korea ( and usually refers to GI specifically- though it does happen). Japanese are just much more diverse in their attitudes and opinions I think.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:53 AM
I have to say that though this * sounds * correct, I find almost the exact opposite to be true. Koreans will rarely openly express such things to foreigners- well, at least to Western foreigners. I wouldn't say Koreans are polite, but for instance the anti-immigrant marches or the " foreigners go home" vans of Japan can never come to Korea. Whereas, Koreans on the whole are much more likely to respond they'd disown their children for marrying a non-Korean, you're much less likely to know it. The " Japanese Only" sign is common in tourist areas of Kyoto and Osaka at least, but very rare in Korea ( and usually refers to GI specifically- though it does happen). Japanese are just much more diverse in their attitudes and opinions I think.

Good point. I just thought of those psycho right wing groups and their rallies right after I posted that. But I figure it probably isn't a daily occurrence.

Scholarios
04-18-2015, 03:53 AM
Oddly, from my experience, it seems like many expats who have lived in Japan or China (or some ethnic Chinese place like Taiwan, HK, Singapore) develop a fondness for the local culture. But many who have lived in Korea come away with a sour experience?

True, I'm not sure why. China certainly has a richer traditional culture, and Korea's homogeneity may start to get on your nerves after awhile. So, every " distinctly" Korean thing is associated with Korea - for better or worse. I love this country, but even I am so exhausted from the every single conversation at the restaurant being " wow , you can eat spicy food!" Or " wow, you can speak korean !". It's a bit like the Japanese, but more extreme. And without all the cool stuff we associate with Japan. But I can't quite point my finger on why expats are so divided about Korea.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 03:56 AM
Xi'an has amazing history, and it is more authentic than places like Beijing and Hangzhou where a lot of the historic areas have been cleaned up. The Moslem quarter in Xi'an is a bastion of Hui culture, and has an ancient 1300 year old Mosque that is hidden along the alley ways. It is the Rome of Asia, considering it's ancient history and the fact that it was once the world's greatest city, and capital of a giant empire.

Islam is 1400 years old mate. In a 100 year, how can it is spread to China? what is that mosque's name?

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Islam is 1400 years old mate. In a 100 year, how can it is spread to China? what is that mosque's name?

Islam came to China very early. Through the silk road, and Xi'an was the greatest city in the world at the time, it was the capital of the Tang Dynasty, one of China's "Golden Ages".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Xi%27an

Scholarios
04-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Good point. I just thought of those psycho right wing groups and their rallies right after I posted that. But I figure it probably isn't a daily occurrence.

Yes, it is hard to peg. The Japanese are just such a mixed bag. On one hand they are some conservative homogeneous Confucian culture, on the other hand The last time I was in Tokyo I saw a 70 year old man Dressed in full nazi regalia on the Yamamoto line at rush hour and no one batted and eye. Wtf

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 04:02 AM

I don't mean to hijack the Seoul thread. But here is a cool video on Hui Muslims, the first family is from Xi'an, which has an ancient Hui Moslem community, I think the mosque is pictured somewhere too in the video.

It's also the ancestral city of my paternal clan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOTGYz_EPPs

Goujian
04-18-2015, 04:09 AM
Yes, it is hard to peg. The Japanese are just such a mixed bag. On one hand they are some conservative homogeneous Confucian culture, on the other hand The last time I was in Tokyo I saw a 70 year old man Dressed in full nazi regalia on the Yamamoto line at rush hour and no one batted and eye. Wtf

I'm very partial towards some Japanese girls but of course cultural gap. The attitude of the Korean girls feels rather a turn off with their northern-like demeanor.

I'm not so sure where to place the Japanese however. Koreans are just too similar to northern and northeastern Chinese. Japanese do have the eccentric individuals, there was even an elderly nazi who espoused rather fringe views about humans in general with youtube videos, but I don't remember

Dandelion
04-18-2015, 04:14 AM

Sound hilarious though. Reminds me of that Japanese ultra-right wing guy who reads Hitler mangas and hammers on the 'honorary Aryan' status of Japanese according to the Third Reich. A bit of a nutcase though. The kind of person you would leave in peace with his hobby as that's all he seems to have.

Many Europeans are still easily offended by nazi regalia, but I think it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pP_sc09FY

It's hard to take them seriously lol.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 04:17 AM
Islam came to China very early. Through the silk road, and Xi'an was the greatest city in the world at the time, it was the capital of the Tang Dynasty, one of China's "Golden Ages".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Xi%27an

Interesting, didn't know it. Thanks.

Pennywise
04-18-2015, 04:18 AM
I don't mean to hijack the Seoul thread. But here is a cool video on Hui Muslims, the first family is from Xi'an, which has an ancient Hui Moslem community, I think the mosque is pictured somewhere too in the video.

It's also the ancestral city of my paternal clan.

Let's convert to Islam :)

Mortimer
04-18-2015, 04:18 AM
looks awesome would love to visit

Goujian
04-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Sound hilarious though. Reminds me of that Japanese ultra-right wing guy who reads Hitler mangas and hammer on the 'honorary Aryan' status of Japanese according to the Third Reich. A bit of a nutcase though. The kind of person you would leave in peace with his hobby as that's all he seems to have.

Many Europeans are still easily offended by nazi regalia, but I think it's hilarious.

East Asians and Southeast Asians like the Thais seem to be positive or neutral towards nazi regalia.

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Let's convert to Islam :)

I actually am very knowledgeable about Islam. But I'm fine with not believing in any religion. :)

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 04:22 AM
East Asians and Southeast Asians like the Thais seem to be positive or neutral towards nazi regalia.

It's not politicized. Sometimes there are theme parties or bars with Nazi paraphernalia, people just wear it for fun, it's not seen as making a statement.

Dandelion
04-18-2015, 04:24 AM
It's not politicized. Sometimes there are theme parties or bars with Nazi paraphernalia, people just wear it for fun, it's not seen as making a statement.

A bit like how this flag doesn't offend any European.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg/2000px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png
Right?

No idea how people look toward the imperial Japanese flag though, it's still the flag of their navy anyway. Asians are less PC perhaps.

Goujian
04-18-2015, 04:29 AM

From what I know they think it's cool or something to have nazi regalia or anything hitler-related. It just doesn't seem to have much political connotation. There's even Nazi merchandise on Taobao.

http://img.izismile.com/img/img3/20100317/640/hitler_asian_restaurants_640_06.jpg
http://amusingthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hitler-restaurant.jpg

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/10/thailand-s-bizarre-hitler-worship-propaganda-video-issued-by-prime-minister-glorifies-nazi-leader.html
http://asiaobscura.com/2012/04/nazi-fashion-in-china.html
http://blog.acroo.com/2013/06/17/taobao-full-of-nazi-merchandise/

It seems to be construed as 'hitler worship' but I just think it's a pop culture trend.

Even in India it happens

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/866657435_b73cc4d1b5_o.jpg

Minesweeper
04-18-2015, 04:40 AM
Are there old parts of Seoul with traditional architecture or is it a bunch of skyscrapers?

Dandelion
04-18-2015, 04:43 AM
Well, one Dutchman took it upon him to troll Austrians in Vienna itself (in 1999). It was a reaction on Jörg Haider winning the elections. A bit of a stupid pretext though ("I am a lefty and I don't like it that the far right has won in Austria"), but I still give him 10/10 for his epic trolling skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjAycjeWVE

Note how the Austrian chariot driver thinks it's funny. :p
That guy has got nerves though, because doing the Roman salute can get you arrested in Austria.

The song in the end is a cynical song in Dutch about a Jewish boy and his wish to travel by train, but sadly his first train trip was to be his last.

Goujian
04-18-2015, 04:48 AM
Are there old parts of Seoul with traditional architecture or is it a bunch of skyscrapers?

Yes, there are some. But they are tourist attractions now.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=561382
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264116

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 04:53 AM

Yes, of course.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3186481433_d90a672a99_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/3187290842_92359d07b6_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3187290806_4e90e40988_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/3186450655_59f2a3bc44_o.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8596/15867314209_0b47aaeef9_b.jpg

Mortimer
04-18-2015, 05:01 AM
From what I know they think it's cool or something to have nazi regalia or anything hitler-related. It just doesn't seem to have much political connotation. There's even Nazi merchandise on Taobao.

http://img.izismile.com/img/img3/20100317/640/hitler_asian_restaurants_640_06.jpg
http://amusingthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hitler-restaurant.jpg

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/10/thailand-s-bizarre-hitler-worship-propaganda-video-issued-by-prime-minister-glorifies-nazi-leader.html
http://asiaobscura.com/2012/04/nazi-fashion-in-china.html
http://blog.acroo.com/2013/06/17/taobao-full-of-nazi-merchandise/

It seems to be construed as 'hitler worship' but I just think it's a pop culture trend.

Even in India it happens

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/866657435_b73cc4d1b5_o.jpg

Why do they think its cool? I just wonder, i understand they dont make a political statement

zhaoyun
04-18-2015, 05:04 AM
More Seoul

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8229714549_2dbf1d9bff_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8618/16219663497_4d0df534cf_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8650/16417227741_f4c7b17d76_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/9998811104_a9d332973d_h.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8666/15206796053_860038381c_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8628/16653122916_9462982217_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/13352244605_d0bec1bb5a_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/9301503591_478f559c26_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2929/13596414684_9fedb7a938_b.jpg

Goujian
04-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Why do they think its cool? I just wonder, i understand they dont make a political statement

I think they admire Hitler a little bit too much.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-baffling-ways-continent-asia-loves-hitler/

It's just something that's fashionable and cool.

http://www.vice.com/read/nazis-chic-is-asias-offensive-fashion-craze-456

Mortimer
04-18-2015, 05:05 AM
asia is a great place, i need to visit china, india, thailand (my sister was in thailand already), japan, korea etc.

Mortimer
04-18-2015, 05:07 AM
I think they admire Hitler a little bit too much.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-baffling-ways-continent-asia-loves-hitler/

It's just something that's fashionable and cool.

http://www.vice.com/read/nazis-chic-is-asias-offensive-fashion-craze-456

doesnt offend me really if some asians cartoonise him, i understand they dont make the racist idea behind it and hitler was a white supremacist eventhough he respected asians but im sure there are asian leaders which are better for popular use if you are right wing asian, why would your heroe be a white supremacist if you are asian in the first place

Scholarios
04-18-2015, 05:34 AM
While SEOUL doesnt have as much impressive traditional or modern architecture as Tokyo, Kyoto, or BeijingThere are a few interesting things. Seoul City Hall was built by the Japanese and has that Japan 1920's Art Deco style.

Recently however, Seoul government built a new complex behind it to resemble a giant wave crashing the old Japanese building. ( it seems korean creativity seems to do well with channels for revenge motif)

Before
http://tong.visitkorea.or.kr/cms/resource/57/186057_image2_1.jpg

After
https://mygreenkorea.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ec849cec9ab8ec8ba0ecb2adec82ac.jpg

You can also see the waves motif subtlety in North Korean diplomatic exchanges with the West.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.wbur.org/wordpress/1/files/2009/08/0804_kim-clinton.jpg

Goujian
04-19-2015, 03:58 AM
While SEOUL doesnt have as much impressive traditional or modern architecture as Tokyo, Kyoto, or BeijingThere are a few interesting things. Seoul City Hall was built by the Japanese and has that Japan 1920's Art Deco style.

Recently however, Seoul government built a new complex behind it to resemble a giant wave crashing the old Japanese building. ( it seems korean creativity seems to do well with channels for revenge motif)

What I do seem to notice is that in some ways being a foreign Asian in an East Asian country is like a double-edged sword. Because you are expected to know the language and the culture as if you are a native who was born and raised there. I know this is true for Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and maybe Vietnamese. I get treated a lot better in Shanghai and some other places in the lower Yangtze because I can speak the local language like a native and quite familiar with the local culture. At least compared to other regions in China and amongst other Asian-Americans.
East Asians in general are similar in some ways but different in other ways, at least in terms of directness and indirectness. Chinese and Japanese are like this too to an extent but that depends on the regional culture. I find that Japanese culture is more or less sort of a non-confrontational culture, they would post 'Japanese only' or 'Foreigners not allowed' signs because it's more as a precautionary warning, meaning they have a few bad incidents with foreigners and want to avoid future situations.

doesnt offend me really if some asians cartoonise him, i understand they dont make the racist idea behind it and hitler was a white supremacist eventhough he respected asians but im sure there are asian leaders which are better for popular use if you are right wing asian, why would your heroe be a white supremacist if you are asian in the first place

Well, I mean there are even Malaysian and Mongolian Neo-Nazis with swastikas, sieg heil salutes, etc. not just Japanese Neo-Nazis. It's more likely that:
1) Asians never directly fought German troops. If anything, most WWII hatred in Asia is directed against the Japanese.
2) In the case of China, there was a lot of Chinese-German cooperation prior to 1941. Chinese never had direct military conflicts with Germans sometime around WWII and their influence for the most part was positive and more of a case of admiration. I would say Chinese have more respect for Germany than Japan, since Chinese already admired a lot about Germany. Then add Hitler on top of that and bingo.
3) I guess some Asians find some of his ideas revolting but Hitler found the Chinese more tolerable than the French or the British despite blood relations. He did have a level of respect for Indians, Chinese, Japanese and Muslims.

http://archive.org/stream/TheTestamentOfAdolfHitler/TOAH_djvu.txt

2nd April 1945
I am sure that the Japanese, the Chinese and the peoples of Islam will always be closer to us than, for example, France, in spite of the fact that we are related by blood.

13th February 1945
"Pride in one's own race - and that does not imply contempt for other races - is also a normal and healthy sentiment. I have never regarded the Chinese or the Japanese as being inferior to ourselves. They belong to ancient civilizations, and I admit freely that their past history is superior to our own. They have the right to be proud of their past, just as we have the right to be proud of the civilization to which we belong. Indeed, I believe the more steadfast the Chinese and the Japanese remain in their pride of race, the easier I shall find it to get on with them."

7th February 1945
In them (Asians), the white races have imposed their will by force, and the influence they have had on the native inhabitants has been negligible; the Hindus have remained Hindus, the Chinese have remained Chinese, and the Moslems are still Moslems. There have been no profound transformations, and such changes as have occurred are less marked in the religious field, notwithstanding the tremendous efforts of the Christian missionaries, than in any other. There have been a few odd conversions the sincerity of which are open to considerable doubt-except, perhaps in the case of a few simpletons and mentally deficients. The white races did, of course, give some things to the natives, and they were the worst gifts that they could possibly have made, those plagues of our own modern world-materialism, fanaticism, alcoholism and syphilis. For the rest, since these peoples possessed qualities of their own which were superior to anything we could offer them, they have remained essentially unchanged.

colonization is not an activity which Germans feel called upon to pursue, Germany should never make common cause with the colonizing nations and should always abstain from supporting them in their colonial aspirations.
4) Education is also a factor in this. Most people in Asia weren't taught about Germany's role in WWII, their attention was focused mainly on Japan. And to this day, most people are angry about the comfort women issue or the Nanjing massacre. Most probably don't know what exactly Hitler did. Japan's education regarding this is near-masochistic as most of the people in the Japanese education system are left-wing or center-left.
5) And Hitler does look kind of funny to people which is why some people want to cartoonize him.

Lurker
06-08-2015, 03:52 PM
A bit like how this flag doesn't offend any European.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg/2000px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png
Right?

No idea how people look toward the imperial Japanese flag though, it's still the flag of their navy anyway. Asians are less PC perhaps.

Never wear that flag in China. A man with a T-Shirt that had that flag was attacked by a mob in China last year.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/pictures/chinese-man-with-imperial-japanese-rising-sun-t-shirt-attacked-taishan.html

http://i1.wp.com/img.chinasmack.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/man-with-imperial-japanese-navy-rising-sun-flag-t-shirt-stripped-taishan-china-03-600x426.jpg?resize=600%2C426

Scholarios
06-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Never wear that flag in China. A man with a T-Shirt that had that flag was attacked by a mob in China last year.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/pictures/chinese-man-with-imperial-japanese-rising-sun-t-shirt-attacked-taishan.html

http://i1.wp.com/img.chinasmack.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/man-with-imperial-japanese-navy-rising-sun-flag-t-shirt-stripped-taishan-china-03-600x426.jpg?resize=600%2C426

Oh, I bought that shirt in Japan. I wear it as pajamas usually, but I have worn it on the streets in Korea out of ignorance before. No one said or did anything, but I'd still be wary of it. I think the taboo is a new one in Asia and is a calque on the Nazi/Swastika taboo...

Koreans also find the simple Japanese flag offensive:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/japan-flag.gif

When I enter the words "Japanese Flag" in Korean language into Naver (the main Korean search engine) this is what page 1 looks like:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yOo7wAME7NNFiWfQEZe0jNzBdiZDrU5hjVNLeMgDsH0=w1154-h923-no

You can see the one part shows the Korean flag, the US flag, and the Japanese flag it reads:

Tae-geuk-gi (Korean banner)

Sung-jo-gi (Star-spangled banner)

Kae-saek-gi (son of a bitch)

Lots of other jokes about radiation etc. (Koreans have been convinced that Japan is sinking in the ocean since a 1980's novel talked about it and claimed Japan wanted to colonize Korea as a refuge for it's sinking. Also, the most popular Korean novel of all time was a story about how a United Korea nukes Japan).

Kawaiine
06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
i'd like to visit south korea one day, especially those islands

but i heard south korean countryside doesn't have a big difference compared to mainland chinese countryside
- (most) korean people are rude and lack of public health awareness (that's why MERS is quickly spread within a month)
in behavior, certain people said korean people are the another version of mainland chinese people

Gaston
06-14-2015, 02:31 PM
I'd go there for the cheap street food and regular restaurants mostly. Seoul would not be my first choice if I had to travel in South Korea.