PDA

View Full Version : How much did you bench when you first started?

Iloko
04-24-2015, 05:28 AM
The first time you ever touched the bench press with little to no experience with lifting...How much did you do and for how many reps?

When a junior in high school at age 16 - I did 155 lbs for 3 reps, and haven't touched the bench press ever again since, and now I'm a full grown man. But lifting is not really my thing, I've only done it like once lol. My natural weight when I'm fit and in shape is 120 lbs / 5'9 height.

Longbowman
04-24-2015, 05:30 AM
60kg, 10. I was 18.

Armand_Duval
04-24-2015, 06:14 AM
60kg, 10. I was 18.

That was actually respectable, I remember the first time I tryed to bench press with 60 kilos the bar felt upon my bloody nose, it miraculosly didn't broke, hahahaha I was 16 though.

Eventually I was able to benchpress with respectectsble weights, my top used to be 3 reps with 140 kilos I was able to do 18 reps with 100 kilos, according to an NFL lineman if you were able to do 18 reps with 100 kilos in theory you could play at the NFL.

I have to highlight that I never juiced...

Dylan
04-24-2015, 06:22 AM
That was actually respectable, I remember the first time I tryed to bench press with 60 kilos the bar felt upon my bloody nose, it miraculosly didn't broke, hahahaha I was 16 though.

Eventually I was able to benchpress with respectectsble weights, my top used to be 3 reps with 140 kilos I was able to do 18 reps with 100 kilos, according to an NFL lineman if you were able to do 18 reps with 100 kilos in theory you could play at the NFL.

Any advice to the skinny guys? I used to be big into lifting when I was younger and the results were great until i broke my back, but I know I could have been more efficient with it, I'm planning on starting up again this summer.

Armand_Duval
04-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Any advice to the skinny guys? I used to be big into lifting when I was younger and the results were great until i broke my back, but I know I could have been more efficient with it, I'm planning on starting up again this summer.

There is no much science about it, I only follwed two simple rules: discipline and constancy.

There are some considerations to be taken into account though: No matter how constant and how hard you train, you have to have the genetics and to have a very good nutritional plan, for what you do at the gym would not be of much help if you don't have an optimal nutrition and resting time.

And never ever juice....

Dylan
04-24-2015, 06:37 AM
There is no much science about it, I only follwed two simple rules: discipline and constancy.

There are some considerations to be taken into account though: No matter how constant and how hard you train, you have to have the genetics and to have a very good nutritional plan, for what you do at the gym would not be of much help if you don't have an optimal nutrition and resting time.

And never ever juice....

well what sucks with me is that I have an auto-immune disease which causes deficiency, so I'm not the greatest for nutrition from the start, plus all the food I can eat sucks, but which exercises tend to emphasize bulk over tone?

Longbowman
04-24-2015, 01:55 PM

I'm now in the triple digits, of course. I don't think I could do 18 at 100, though.

Iron Sheik
04-24-2015, 02:00 PM
45-50 kg. But I wasn't athletic until I became 15-16. And my strength is more distributed to the lower body. After 2-3 years i got to 140 kg 1-2 max rep traing like a powerlifter. I was a powerlifting fat ass and but it was doable. No bodybuilding aethsetics whatsoever. Just fat and muscles. It was peak strength though. Strength wise it would take months to add 2.5 after reaching 105 kg . The only way to lift heavier after you reach competitive levels is via anabolic steroids.

Cleitus
04-24-2015, 02:01 PM
When i started 60kg 10 reps, now the heighest weight i train with is 120kg. I start with 90kg 8 reps and then i continue with 100kg 8 reps an then with 120 6-7 reps.

Iron Sheik
04-24-2015, 02:02 PM
well what sucks with me is that I have an auto-immune disease which causes deficiency, so I'm not the greatest for nutrition from the start, plus all the food I can eat sucks, but which exercises tend to emphasize bulk over tone?
Work with a nutritionist. People who absorb poorly as a result of auto immune disease can medicate or compensate. I wouldn't lift if i hade a broken back. You risk herniating and damaging your already compromised spine and disks. Try something easier like and back friendly. Like pushups or pullups(they work just as well as bench, even if you don't make gains as fast). Look up the hodgetwins on youtube. They also have back problems (degenerative discs) but they're still swole even if they cant do most heavy coumpound exercises.

Iron Sheik
04-24-2015, 02:25 PM
q

And never ever juice.... You dont need to juice to reach that level. Just be normal functioning(no hernias, no major, disabling or debilitating injuries, hormonally and physically sound) and willing to invest years.

Dylan
04-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Work with a nutritionist. People who absorb poorly as a result of deficiency can medicate or compensate. I wouldn't lift if i hade a broken back. You risk herniating and damaging your already compromised spine and disks. Try something easier like and back friendly. Like pushups or pullups(they work just as well as bench, even if you don't make gains as fast). Look up the hodgetwins on youtube. They also have back problems (degenerative discs) but they're still swole even if they cant do most heavy coumpound exercises.

My back's not broken anymore, fortunately, that's why I want to get back into it. The problem with pushups and pull ups is that they focus on lean muscle, right? My problem is that I have absolutely no bulk. I'll look them up on youtube, thanks for the advice.

Armand_Duval
04-25-2015, 05:14 AM
You dont need to juice to reach that level. Just be normal functioning(no hernias, no major, disabling or debilitating injuries, hormonally and physically sound) and willing to invest years.

I concur, only many ppl used to think I was juiced, I was 220 pounds (100 kg) with just very little body fat.

Iloko
04-25-2015, 05:24 AM
What body fat % do I look in this pic? I'm 125 lbs / 5'9 in this pic. If I can do 155 lbs for 3 reps at age sixteen, how much could I end up being capable of doing if I seriously take up the hobby of weight-lifting in yall guys opinion. I only did the bench press once in my life lol. Is 225 lbs MAX a possibility? Here's the pic:

http://i.imgur.com/hcMTjWt.jpg

Bravado
04-25-2015, 10:11 AM
When I was playing American Football, as a lineman, during my high school years I was benching close to 100 kilos (220 pounds).

Prisoner Of Ice
04-25-2015, 10:15 AM
225 when I started, and quickly got to ten reps. I was 190 or so. In a year's time I added 100 lbs to my bench and went up more slowly from there. The most I did was 425 or something but I injured myself so from then on I did not go above 405. I have not maxed out in a long time but still do 365 for 10 reps.

robar
04-25-2015, 01:03 PM
40-50kg 15 year old

Ultra
04-25-2015, 01:18 PM
The first time I did bench press? I could only do the bar for some reps and I remember it felt heavy as fuck. :icon_redface:

Stimpy
04-25-2015, 01:20 PM
40kg. The 20kg bar + two 10kg plates. I think I was 13 or 14.

It's kind of funny because I didn't have any extra weight to put on the barbell, so after a few months I was still benching 40kg but for like 60 reps per set...

Linebacker
04-25-2015, 01:22 PM
I didn't bench at all when I started.My first ever encounters with sport were in the boxing gym,and outside on the monkey bars.I did pull ups and all sorts of gymnast strength exercises you could do.

When I entered a weight gym for the first time I already was in pretty good shape.

Armand_Duval
04-25-2015, 01:24 PM
What body fat % do I look in this pic? I'm 125 lbs / 5'9 in this pic. If I can do 155 lbs for 3 reps at age sixteen, how much could I end up being capable of doing if I seriously take up the hobby of weight-lifting in yall guys opinion. I only did the bench press once in my life lol. Is 225 lbs MAX a possibility? Here's the pic:

http://i.imgur.com/hcMTjWt.jpg

Mate, I dont want to make you feel discouraged but you have a lot of work out to do, maybe after a couple of years you could bench press with 100 kilos.

Armand_Duval
04-25-2015, 01:26 PM
225 when I started, and quickly got to ten reps. I was 190 or so. In a year's time I added 100 lbs to my bench and went up more slowly from there. The most I did was 425 or something but I injured myself so from then on I did not go above 405. I have not maxed out in a long time but still do 365 for 10 reps.

Really???... You must be a big man, what's your weight?.

Mazik
04-25-2015, 01:30 PM
I pressed my body weight for a few reps, which was 70 kg back then. It was in the middle of my teens. Before that I was doing a lot of push ups as work out, I could do several on one hand. My record was 12 with my left hand.

Iron Sheik
04-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Really???... You must be a big man, what's your weight?.

He's making it up LOL. The worlds strongest MEN on the planet begin at that weight. 100kg or 225 pounds is equvalient to advanced in terms of strength. It takes most normal men more than 1 year to get there, with dedicated training and good condition. If you've either participated previously in strength based sports or you're naturally amongst the 98th percentile of men. I know professional athletes who can't lift that much. Some of the people who competed in the worlds strongest man championship, began at that weight, at 16-18. And they're genetically very gifted strength wise.

Do you know how much 425 lbs is? It's gym juice level. I've been involved in weightlifting for 4 years. I've never seen anyone who could lift 190kg naturally. A very tiny group of people, mostly powerlifters and strongmen, ever get to that level. A normal person has to juice to get there.

Haven't you noticed a pattern with this guy:
He looks like elvis and is handsome
Has an iq of 155+ (less than 99.9% of this worlds human inhabitants are that good)
benches 102kg(225) in his first attempt. Then gets up to 190 kg.
He's a very successful software engineer/computer scientist

The first time I did bench press? I could only do the bar for some reps and I remember it felt heavy as fuck.
Omega genetics. An Olympic bar is 20kg. My sister 160cm outdid that.