PDA

View Full Version : How would you defend your home?

Tyrrhenoi
06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I've read about a terrible situations in which armed (non europide) burglars, forced an entrance, while the owners of the house were asleep. The residents were beaten and robbed by those 'apes', these poor people were unable to defend theirself. The robbers had (real?) guns and knives.

In fact this could happen to you and your family. My question to you is: what would you do?

Should it be possible for civilians to have weapons at home? And use those weapons if your family is in danger? like in the US?

What's your opinion?

Svanhild
06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm afraid that I couldn't do much. But I've pepper spray in my handbad and a rather long kitchen knife in a drawer next to my bed. If it comes to the worst I'm at least a bit prepared. And I know my flat better than anyone. That's a similar kitchen knife to mine:

http://www.messermacherbedarf.de/xtcommerce/images/product_images/popup_images/Lindenschmiede%20K%FCchenmesser%20004.JPG

Beorn
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
.... with a sweeper formation.

http://www.bettersoccercoaching.com/images/BSC224sweeper.gif

Tyrrhenoi
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah well, by weapons I meant firearms.

And if firearms use in homes should be allowed in europe... and if so... in which situations? if the residents are in danger? of only if someone is trying to enter the building? If you are threatened etc. etc. When is it ethical to use a firearm and kill?

I think this is a pretty serious question.

Nodens
06-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Per Anglo-Saxon Common Law, it is the right any duty of every able bodied freeman to keep and bear arms.

As to self-defense, no Duty to Retreat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine#Stand-your-ground).

Addendum: I personally have ample knives/blades in easy reach that the rifles would likely be unnecessary.

Germanicus
06-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Probably i would unleash HELL.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/growler.jpg

Then call the police.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/growler2.jpg

Bloodeagle
06-30-2010, 02:53 AM
If I did not have the right to bear arms as many Europeans do not:
1. I would be more proficient in the martial arts.
2. ... secure my dwelling by controlling key access points.
3. ... not flash around my belongings.
4. ... have a loyal sentry dog like Germanicus has.
5. ... keep a light on at all times.
6. ... arm myself with baseball bats or their equivalent, keep an armory of swords, daggers, pike and spear and keep a cross bow if allowed.
7. Most importantly have a large hole dug for such an occasion.:D
The legal ramifications of your successful deterrence might leave you wishing you had been robbed and molested rather than branded a calculating murderer.

Turkophagos
06-30-2010, 03:55 AM
http://theblackcommenter.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/angry-dog.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
06-30-2010, 04:25 AM
http://nastyish.com/images/pandas/shotgun.jpg

Tyrrhenoi
06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
In the Dutch law, when someone is in danger, that person only can defend himself IF he is beaten by someone or the attacker hurts another person.
Then he/she can appeal on 'noodweer' (self defence). A threat is not enough!

To appeal for 'noodweer' the defence must suffice on certain conditions:

1st: Subsidiarity = if it can be solved by some other manner than violence -
(for example by running away - hideing etc.)

2de: Proportionality: the violence you will use against your attacker must be proporional to the violence the attacker inflicted to you!

Conclusion: You must almost be beaten to dead, to kill a burglar with a weapon. If you kill the burglar and he did not attack you, or had no intention to kill you - you will end up in jail! In certain cases in Holland the home owner, was forced by the court to pay compensation to the burglar!!!:mad:

Tyrrhenoi
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
By the way :D these are my babies:D

Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy (tuned) .45 ACP
Beretta FS 92 (military version) 9 mm

Laudanum
06-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Quite a hard question.

It would be great if firearms would be legal to use for self defence.

On the other hand, if everyone could buy a gun that might cause even more problems..

I think the best would be to say guns are legal to keep at home for selfdefence, but it would be illegal to carry them outdoors. But it's kinda hard to check if everyone keeps 'em at home, though.

Austin
06-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Do just what my uncle did when his garage was being robbed, grabbed his shotgun and blew their intestines all over the driveway then went inside and called the police to come clean it up and make a report.
[IMG]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4681/trespassersshotwarnings.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/trespassersshotwarnings.jpg/)

Praam˛ius
06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Well if any robbers would come to my house they would be sorry in a minute

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5184/1277885125715.jpg

Tyrrhenoi
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Very usefull info... but what does the law of your country dictate?
Austin pointed out that in the US (Texas I presume), extreme violence is allowed!:thumbs up

Bloodeagle
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
I would not kill another human being entering my home unless I felt that mine or my families life was in danger!:)

A neighbor of mine caught a local teen, "of ill repute", entering his abode through his doggy (http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title11/Chapter81/Section335.htm) door.
Now this little shit had been breaking into many peoples homes and this was the last straw.
At gun point he made the thief call up the state troopers and give them his name and address.:cool:
The troopers then asked to speak with the owner.
The owner was told that since they knew who the kid was that he should let the kid go and they would pick him up at their convenience.:confused:
Well, the owner then told the troopers that he had a hole dug, out back, that he was going to bury him in.;)
They then told him that they would be there right away!:D

Liffrea
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Firearms would be no good to me other than a decommissioned M16 assault rifle my mate had I’ve never held or fired a gun. I do own several swords, none of which are tempered and all likely to break on impact (re-enactment days) they will leave a bruise and probably a reasonably deep gash. They are all slashing blades and, thus, difficult to wield in confined spaces.

What does the law say? Even the lawyers don’t know, generally seems to be whether or not the judge has got his leg over the night before, and, personally, when it comes to my personal safety and that of my folks I don’t much care either, the way I see it a cell is preferable to a coffin. Would I kill them? Probably not intentionally I have no martial arts just the dirty fighting I grew up with, I have smashed a bottle in someones face before when they came at me with a knife, that was reaction more than intent.

The Ripper
06-30-2010, 11:29 PM

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5184/1277885125715.jpg

TOUKO-POUKO!

77py5mBxpA0
:D

Psychonaut
07-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I would not kill another human being entering my home unless I felt that mine or my families life was in danger!:)

Question:

If someone has already committed a crime by breaking into your home, why give them the benefit of the doubt? It is equally likely that they could be there to steal your TV or murder your family. That being the case, I would prefer to err on the side of caution. After all, criminals are a dime a dozen, but you only have one family. :thumb001:

Aramis
07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I'd pull off some Jedi mind tricks. As easy as that.

Thorum
07-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I have one upstairs and one downstairs:

Piparskeggr
07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Both my wife and I are military veterans who are trained to arms.

There is no room in our house, which does not have some weapon, firearm or not.

I have used deadly force in the past, and would do so again. My wife has stated that she is capable of shooting another human, but a blade is too personal. I will use any means at my disposal.

Bloodeagle
07-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Question:

If someone has already committed a crime by breaking into your home, why give them the benefit of the doubt? It is equally likely that they could be there to steal your TV or murder your family. That being the case, I would prefer to err on the side of caution. After all, criminals are a dime a dozen, but you only have one family. :thumb001:

I am not one of those types who dream of an opportunity to kill someone.
Most of the property crimes in my area are committed by dumb teenagers!
I am not so attached to my property that I would be willing to kill without provocation.
I would restrain any thief that I might catch and phone the police.
If things were to get out of hand, then I would do what I would have to do.
Yes, I do have firearms as any American worth their salt should!

Pallantides
07-01-2010, 02:00 AM
I've read about a terrible situations in which armed (non europide) burglars, forced an entrance, while the owners of the house were asleep. The residents were beaten and robbed by those 'apes', these poor people were unable to defend theirself. The robbers had (real?) guns and knives.

Latvian and Eastonian(Russians?) immigrants have started doing this in Norway.

Eastern European burglars and 'road bandits' are large problem in Norway... so it's not only non europids who have a habit of robbery atleast not here.

Psychonaut
07-01-2010, 03:32 AM
I am not one of those types who dream of an opportunity to kill someone.
Most of the property crimes in my area are committed by dumb teenagers!
I am not so attached to my property that I would be willing to kill without provocation.
I would restrain any thief that I might catch and phone the police.
If things were to get out of hand, then I would do what I would have to do.
Yes, I do have firearms as any American worth their salt should!

While I don't think that all crime warrants a summary execution either, home invasion is something different from any other crime, if only because of the horrendous outcomes of the rape/murder types. I have only had to deal with one potential home invader, who I intercepted before he'd crossed my backyard. I chased after him with a sword and Maglight until he was beyond the bounds of my property. I did this because it was the quickest resolution to the scenario that I could think of at the moment that put my family at the least level of risk. That, I think, is the key to a situation like this. If you opt to do [x], does this take more time to accomplish than [y]? Does [x], given a murderous invader, put your family at a higher risk than [y]? If so, I would opt [y], which, so long as you are trained in combat, is generally to engage the enemy and attack until they are no longer a thread. In some cases, like my experience, this occurs when the invader flees—in others, it occurs when they fall wounded or dead.

Anyway, that's my 2¢. :shrug:

nisse
07-01-2010, 03:44 AM
IMO if someone breaks in while you are sleeping you've got pretty much 0 chance no matter how many weapons you have, since you'll be disoriented and they'll have the advantage of surprise and will be able to disarm you. In fact, any weapons you do have will likely be used against you or stolen and used to rob your neighbours.

Best defence is an unassuming but *very* good door, not living close to the ground (if possible..and it's very possible in the city), and the appearance of few possessions. As with cancer, prevention is the key :thumb001:

Psychonaut
07-01-2010, 03:53 AM
IMO if someone breaks in while you are sleeping you've got pretty much 0 chance no matter how many weapons you have, since you'll be disoriented and they'll have the advantage of surprise and will be able to disarm you. In fact, any weapons you do have will likely be used against you or stolen and used to rob your neighbours.

Training, m'lady, training.

Since most home invasions occur at night, while the house sleeps, your principle weapon should be within hands reach of your side of the bed (if little ones are an issue, there are many manufacturers that specialize in quick access bedside gun safes). And, as those of us with military backgrounds can assuredly attest, it takes only a few weeks training to be able to awaken from a dead sleep into a heightened state of awareness, ready for action.

Also, this is also a situation where a two story house proves to be an excellent tactical investment. Having a choke point that is also high ground is the best of all possible worlds in a situation where there are multiple invaders.

Alabama
07-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Latvian and Eastonian(Russians?) immigrants have started doing this in Norway.

Eastern European burglars and 'road bandits' are large problem in Norway... so it's not only non europids who have a habit of robbery atleast not here.

We're in a global economic recession that's gonna get worse, so the criminals are only gonna get more desperate. Clearly all crimes do not deserve death, but if I'm a victim of road banditry or home invasion how am I supposed to know if the thug intends to *merely* rob or rape/kill me? I believe we have a human right to protect ourselves...and as we say in the US "If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" because the thugs don't respect the laws.
Except that I would add that outlaws *and* the government will have guns. The right to bear arms was included in the US Constitution in order to make the citizens less susceptible to excessive subjugation by our government. For those folks in countries with restrictive gun laws, it seems it would be very difficult to wrench that liberty away from your governing bodies at this point.

My personal solution to living in a violent country? A big Norwegian in the bed, a .9mm in the drawer, and a bulldog at the frontdoor :thumb001:

Cato
07-01-2010, 04:10 AM
With a shotgun.

Tyrrhenoi
07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
- You americans are all the same :D -

http://filmfanatic.org/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dirty-harry-do-you-feel-lucky.jpg

:D

Piparskeggr
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Having written what I did above...I have a high intensity flashlight, which is attached to the under side of my house gun; a 12 gauge.

The two times that I have braced up an intruder, the blinding light and sound of a shell being racked into the chamber has calmed the incident, the authorities were notified and the intruder accepted their invitation to accompany them to the station. :D

Both times, they were repeat offenders, adults...both were convicted of multiple counts of burglary; one was when we lived in Nebraska in the late 1980's and the other in Ohio in the mid 1990's.

I prefer not shooting.

Murphy
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I would hit them with bats.

You Staffies would probably lick the burglars to death.

Tyrrhenoi
07-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Have you considered that the burglars could have , 'T-bones' and 'Salsicce Italiane' with them to bribe your dogs?

Hell... even I would say: go ahead give me those goodies :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jqsGeTCNvZA/SNNCP_nDt3I/AAAAAAAAAWs/MvDJp7XTpVI/S1600-R/salsiccia.jpg

Germanicus
07-01-2010, 05:10 PM
You Staffies would probably lick the burglars to death.

My 2 Staffies would alert me to any noise made outside the property: Poppy my bitch is the top dog, she is the one who would get very aggitated first, Brody is slow to aggitate, but once he see's there is trouble at mill he goes mental.
My dogs are for alert purposes, i am the pack leader...that's my job to deal with burglars.
Anyone in our yard would activate my intruder lights...only a fool would stick around hearing my dogs barking.
Nobody would gain entry to my house whilst i was asleep: Regular readers would know i have enough legal weapons to pacify a baddie....:)

Svarog
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I think the best would be to say guns are legal to keep at home for selfdefence, but it would be illegal to carry them outdoors. But it's kinda hard to check if everyone keeps 'em at home, though.

That's how it is in Serbia, it is impossible to get a permit to actually carry a weapon along outdoors.

Personally I don't have a gun and don't wish for one in my house. I am fully capable of defending myself. Wonder what kind of armed robbers would even wish to 'do' my place, it's not worth the risk, they would not find shit to cover the bullets bill.

Have you considered that the burglars could have , 'T-bones' and 'Salsicce Italiane' with them to bribe your dogs?

I am 94% sure that trick works only in the cartoons

Aramis
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I am 94% sure that trick works only in the cartoons

My friend's house was robbed that way. 2 dogs became completly useless.

Svarog
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
My friend's house was robbed that way. 2 dogs became completly useless.

Not all dogs are guard dogs tho.

good trained guard dog would not even consider taking food from anyone but their boss, not his wife, not his kids, no one.

Murphy
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
My 2 Staffies would alert me to any noise made outside the property: Poppy my bitch is the top dog, she is the one who would get very aggitated first, Brody is slow to aggitate, but once he see's there is trouble at mill he goes mental.
My dogs are for alert purposes, i am the pack leader...that's my job to deal with burglars.
Anyone in our yard would activate my intruder lights...only a fool would stick around hearing my dogs barking.
Nobody would gain entry to my house whilst i was asleep: Regular readers would know i have enough legal weapons to pacify a baddie....:)

I have no doubt that your Staffies would alert you, but their reaction should not be aggressive. A Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not a guard dog, it isn't in their history or their breeding.

I was just trying to be light hearted with my first post, because every Staffordshire Bull Terrier I have came across has licked me crazy :D! Even when me and a friend sneaked into his house after a night on the bevy, his Staffies alerted his mother by the fact that they wouldn't stop trying to play with us :P!

Aramis
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Not all dogs are guard dogs tho.

good trained guard dog would not even consider taking food from anyone but their boss, not his wife, not his kids, no one.

Indeed. But those two were supposed to be guard dogs, first and foremost.

I therefor highly doubt many of them are in reality "qualified enough" to flawlessly perform their duties.

Svarog
07-01-2010, 06:53 PM

I therefor highly doubt many of them are in reality "qualified enough" to flawlessly perform their duties.

I don't trust 'guard dogs' for the simple fact that often they just backfire you. In more cases they will hurt innocent people than actually saving property from some robbers.

Not every idiot can own one of these either.

Dog severely injured kid's face
Dog bit and seriously harmed a mailman

I swear I see one of those in my newspaper on a weekly basis.

Several weeks ago I saw one in which Rottweiler actually ATE someone.

Germanicus
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
A Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not a guard dog, it isn't in their history or their breeding, because every Staffordshire Bull Terrier I have came across has licked me crazy :P!

My boy is a very even tempered balanced dog, he reacts to what the top dog expects from him.
My bitch on the other hand is very different, she does not like or go near people, don't get me wrong she has been to obedience training, but it is to me she obeys ultimately, she is a very nasty piece of work when she is not happy; Brodicus fears her.
Her territory is the house and yard, when a postman delivers a parcel i have to make sure she cannot get him...;)

Jon Paul i would love to see you expect a lick from her..:)

Groenewolf
07-03-2010, 05:28 AM

Many of them are indeed not trained enough for these kind of things. But from what I have read the best trained gaurd dogs cost about €100,000,- each.

Liffrea
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by John Paul

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Liffrea66/bat.gif

Vampire would be my choice.

Murphy
07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, what can I say :D?

If I was a knight in the middle ages, I would probably use a mace/warhammer. Heavy blunt objects suit me better :p.

Groenewolf
07-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, what can I say :D?

If I was a knight in the middle ages, I would probably use a mace/warhammer. Heavy blunt objects suit me better :p.

Then again if you where a knight in the middle ages, your squires and guards would probably deal with any burglars.

Murphy
07-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Then again if you where a knight in the middle ages, your squires and guards would probably deal with any burglars.

Aah, but if I was a knight, I would be honour-bound to confront the scoundrels or I would lose face at court.

Groenewolf
07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Aah, but if I was a knight, I would be honour-bound to confront the scoundrels or I would lose face at court.

Sure.

Good Sir Jon, what are your latest exploits?

Well I have driven my sword trough a burglar.

And what did your guards do Sir Jon, or are no longer capable of maintaining guards for your castle. Maybe it is time to review your usefulness for the realm.

RoyBatty
07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
with this

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/maglight/images/MLST3D016.jpg

antonio
07-03-2010, 04:45 PM
My boy is a very even tempered balanced dog, he reacts to what the top dog expects from him.
My bitch on the other hand is very different, she does not like or go near people, don't get me wrong she has been to obedience training, but it is to me she obeys ultimately, she is a very nasty piece of work when she is not happy; Brodicus fears her.
Her territory is the house and yard, when a postman delivers a parcel i have to make sure she cannot get him...;)

Jon Paul i would love to see you expect a lick from her..:)

In Spain, if your dog beats severely a thief inside your property...you will get serious problems with Justice, maybe you will be jailed. Same if you shoot on them, even on no damage, because in Spain it's almost impossible to legally own them they're reserved just for criminals which dont care much about another offense. What more to say? It's the Spanish way: "eso sķ", if you get robbed don't expect so much from the Police, unless you're a big fish or are closely related with politicians, judges, attorneys, policemen, or shit like these.

So, in Spain, average people live at cities centres, searching protection from the masses.

Radojica
07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
:chin:

I have Siamese cat :swl

Piparskeggr
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
with this

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/maglight/images/MLST3D016.jpg

Make it a little more efficient :thumb001:

http://www.niton999.co.uk/productimage.600.more/AA319%5B2%5D.jpg

NSFreja
07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Old thread but well...i feel like i have to post a comment :)

Here in Sweden, if someone tries to break in to my house (well, i have moved and live in an apartment now but the laws say the same for houses or apartments) and my dogs would bite them, they would fall and hurt themselfs because the stair outside were icy or if i used some kind of weapon to beat them up....i could be sentenced to jail because of hurting them! but i would do anything in my power to protect my family even if that means i would kill someone.

But having warning signs about my dogs have made a big difference in chances to NOT get any "unwanted guests" i guess.
I had one sign in estonian ("Kuri koer"), one in english (i can run to the fence in 3.5 seconds, can you?) and one in swedish (translation: If you don't think we are evil enough, then you should meet our owner!) and i think everyone that saw them got the point :D

Sally
07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
With holy water. :fpope:

antonio
07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
At Spain it's no real chance to defend yourself, your home or your family without risking a jail sentence. BTW Spain is one of the best countries for commiting robbery, maybe the better.

Lithium
07-28-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.battlestarprops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/daggers.jpg
and
http://witchcraft-supplies.com/Products/runic1.jpg

Bloodeagle
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
At Spain it's no real chance to defend yourself, your home or your family without risking a jail sentence. BTW Spain is one of the best countries for commiting robbery, maybe the better.

I would then resort to booby traps.:D

( I am not sure how he fell in that 10 foot hole, and broke his neck, that I had dug and covered so neatly near my ground floor window? ):whistle:

NSFreja
07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
All that matters is to protect your family in scenarios like that, no matter if one risk time in jail, it is worth every day spent there knowing you might have saved your family from being hurt or even worse, being killed.

Osweo
07-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd mince em up and feed em to my dog, the bastards.

Sol Invictus
07-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Nothing says no tresspassing better than 30 aught six

Arrow Cross
07-30-2010, 12:50 AM
With the most powerful weapons currently legal to use.

Falkata
07-30-2010, 01:16 AM

The best that you can do is to kill them. If they escape alive your chances of going to jail will increase x10
This was said by a good friend of my father, a police comissar :D

whirlwind
11-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I have a sickening amount of firearms in my house, and thanks to Florida's awesome law, I can pretty much use them at my discretion if someone breeches the privacy of my home in a threatening manner and I have reasonable cause to fear for my safety.
Now, being a crim psych major, I realize that not all those who would break into my home to rob me deserve to die, so ideally I would shoot to wound. Hopefully the gun itself being aimed at them would discourage further stupidity on their part, if not and they came at me, I'd have no qualms with discharging a round into their chest.

poiuytrewq0987
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
With the semi-auto shotgun or an AR-15.

whirlwind
11-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Now, from zombie attacks, I would defend my home with a shotgun and a good 15 round glock in case of [god forbid] close quarter combat.

whirlwind
11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
I think if my home was swamped with zombies, I'd lock myself in a room with my girlfriend and have one last fuck before I die.

Oh, I'd be fucking my brains out, but I would fully fortify my shelter and not give up the fight. I have had this planned out since age 7 or so though. Zombies got my mind.

Svipdag
11-12-2010, 02:54 AM
With the more modern firearms in my collection. In the night table beside my bed there is a Taurus .45/.410 3" Magnum revolver loaded with 5 .410-gauge shotgun shells charged with 000 buckshot.

In the table beside my wing chair, where I often take naps, there is a loaded . 38 cal. Webley revolver. In the same room, there are 2 gun racks, containing a Mossberg 500 5-shot 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot shells, a Winchester Model 43 .25-20 rifle, and a .45-70 "trapdoor"
Springfield rifle.

In addition to firearms, in my bedside table, there are an 11" Bowie knife, a 50,000-volt stun gun, and a pepper spray.If faced by an intruder armed only with a knife, I might prefer to employ a falchion, a German hunting sabre,a
claymore, a katana, or a zatoichi. Though no great swordsman, I could doubtless match skills with the average hoodlum, especially given the advantage of a MUCH longer blade.

Blood Trinity
11-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Kitchen blade. It has worked before. :)

Alison
11-12-2010, 05:44 AM

In fact this could happen to you and your family. My question to you is: what would you do?

Should it be possible for civilians to have weapons at home? And use those weapons if your family is in danger? like in the US?

What's your opinion?

We have high walls, an electric fence, alarm system with a panic button rigged to a control room with armed response, a big dog, and have guns.

If they want to get in they will. If you are fast asleep, you don't stand a chance. It's as simple as that.

It's best to not resist at all. Comply with all their demands, and pray they aren't crazy enough to kill, maim or rape you just for the sake of it - because they can.

Debaser11
11-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Kitchen blade. It has worked before. :)

^This begs for elaboration. Please, do tell.

I am of the belief that if an intruder breaks into your house, all bets are off. I would ideally shoot not to kill (as one should if they are able to) but you can't know what the person might be armed with and if you're protecting a wife and children, you can hardly be blamed for taking "drastic" measures and accidentally killing a person that was not armed given how prison is a revolving door and creeps breed away like rats. You do the best you can. But the intent should not be to kill an unarmed man unless he attacks and you're seriously defending yourself.

Groenewolf
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I have some ranged weapons here, however laws here require me to store the munition separately. That is the rules for fire-arms, but I am not gambling on that not counting for other ranged weaponry. And they are slow loading anyway. So it will come down to my body and my collection of swords and combat knives.

Piparskeggr
11-12-2010, 11:18 PM
As I have written before; if I deem it necessary to drop the hammer, the other person will be dead.

I was taught (by my dad, other elders, the military...) the only time you shoot another living being is to make them dead.

1 bullet, 1 story.

Sol Invictus
11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Two in the chest, one in the head. No quarter to the violators of our homes and firesides. ;)

Cato
11-13-2010, 12:37 PM
With the shotgun in the closet.

Piparskeggr
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
With the shotgun in the closet.

With the .45 in the bedside security box.

Äike
11-13-2010, 01:27 PM
The police would already be at my home, before anyone could enter my home.

Piparskeggr
11-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Here in the US, our Supreme Court, other levels of Federal courts and State courts have ruled many times since the 1st cases were brought in the 1880's, that the Police have no duty to protect individual citizens.

Police are agents of the State, and as such, are bound to enforcing the Law. This is something which may or may not protect, but most usually involves investigating, pursuing, arresting and prosecuting after the fact.

This also flies in the face of the individual police officer's worldview, where they do look upon themselves as protectors.

But, everyone in Law Enforcement of my friendship or acquaintance has always urged being properly trained and prepared for self-defense.

Cato
11-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Bigger is always better. ;)

Äike
11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Here in the US, our Supreme Court, other levels of Federal courts and State courts have ruled many times since the 1st cases were brought in the 1880's, that the Police have no duty to protect individual citizens.

Police are agents of the State, and as such, are bound to enforcing the Law. This is something which may or may not protect, but most usually involves investigating, pursuing, arresting and prosecuting after the fact.

This also flies in the face of the individual police officer's worldview, where they do look upon themselves as protectors.

But, everyone in Law Enforcement of my friendship or acquaintance has always urged being properly trained and prepared for self-defense.

Luckily, I don't live in the US. ;)

Sol Invictus
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM

With the Sig Sauer 516 PDW (Personal Defensive Weapon) beside me. :D Currently available only to uniformed patrol officers and security personnel. ;)

Also, I hate my neighbours so who cares. :p

Liffrea
11-13-2010, 06:10 PM
G9IscZMYYw0

ED209, the only way to be sure.

lei.talk
11-20-2010, 03:17 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2a7ej6g.png (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=284838#post284838)

Blood Trinity
11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
^This begs for elaboration. Please, do tell.

I didn't have my home broken into or anything like that, and probably went a bit too far. This was a while ago. My folks were having a party of sorts, and once everyone was done for the night I stayed up drinking for a number of hours with one of their friends. Without bothering to elaborate on specifics, we got into the subject of politics and as you might predict, he wasn't impressed with some of my views. I was not being belligerent in any way and remained calm the whole time, but he got so furious at what I was saying and the fact I was honest, calm and upfront about it without resorting to insults or rhetoric, that he decided to attack me. This guy was huge and towered over me. I was put on the ground and I warned him several times to get the fuck off me while he was yelling in my face. I got out of the hold with a few punches in the face and went to go get a nearby kitchen blade. Came back and told him he better get the fuck out. This awoke my folks who then were quite shocked at the situation. In the end he was kicked out and apologized profusely.

I was not really thinking of the fact the tables could have been turned on me physically or, later on, legally, having basically been following my adrenaline and outrage at getting attacked in my own house by some idiot, but in retrospect I probably should not have brought out any weapons to begin with as he basically ceased after breaking out of his hold, and would not have attempted again I am sure.

Besides this all attempts by strangers to break into my home have been thwarted by a scary dog. If this "weapon" wasn't mentioned before, it should have been. One of the best. :D

Grumpy Cat
11-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a pitbull

Don
11-20-2010, 11:52 PM
With disproportionate force and brutality.
...If I have the chance to reach and unsheathe my sword, that lies very close to my bed.

In my zone there have been some assaults to homes, in particular penthouses like mine, by bands of invaders (amerindians and easterns, mainly) with different grades of violence.

Many times I planned in my mind how could be the situation and in a few I found myself hidden in the shadows of the night in my home with the sword ready waiting someone to enter by my big balcony after hearing or being awake by uncommon sounds.

The idea is simple. If I have the chance to reach and unsheathe silently my loved Toledana (sheath is gently oiled, blade carefully sharped) and a shadow appears in the wrong place, the most easy access from where the assaulters can enter my home...
... I hit to kill. And that would be easy. At least with the first one.

I will not give them the chance to show me how non-violent or brutal they, who dare to break into my domains, will be.

Hey, if someone assaults my home, they will probably ruin their lives and mine, since, if I have the chance, I will go directly to jail or to graveyard.

CelticTemplar
11-21-2010, 01:34 AM
http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/1740-porch.jpg

Grumpy Cat
11-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I actually did defend my home once. A girl broke in while I was asleep, and I grabbed the thing closest to my bed which happened to be a decorative sword, and chased her out. I don't actually remember all of it, either from not being fully awake or the adrenaline rush.

Piparskeggr
11-21-2010, 02:41 AM
http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/1740-porch.jpg

I have the machinist's drawings in my work room to convert a Remington semi-auto shotgun to a belt-fed mechanism; 24 seems to upper limit for smooth feeding. One uses a 25 loop shotgun shell bandolier, with a lead filled shell in the first loop to help the whole feed through. :D

Albion
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Old ways are sometimes the best - I have 3 strong dogs, more for pets than defence, but two of them would really go for an intruder, the third would probably welcome them in :rolleyes:

Tom Cat
01-22-2011, 11:36 PM
It is only natural to react to a life threatening encounter with violence. I will never understand pacifist laws restricting the use of deadly force when such action is required to end an attack.

Indiana, among other states, has enacted what is known as a castle doctrine. This means residents are no longer legally obligated to retreat from a deadly threat before using deadly force to protect themselves.

My wife and I are both determined and prepared to protect ourselves, and our home with deadly force should the need arise.