PDA

View Full Version : Tuzi-The second biggest Albanian settlement in Montenegro

Ukgjin
04-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Intro

The small town of Tuzi is located in the southern border of Montenegro and along with Ulqin composes the two largest historical Albanian settlements in the area, having been the Malesor Albanians and Albanians in general the historical, cultural, economical and administrative center for Gheg clansmen of various clans.

Demographics

The city itself has around 5000 inhabitants, and the urban municipality that includes the surrounding areas is believed to be inhabited by some 10000 souls, the vast majority of the which are Albanians from different clans, while the other minority is made of Montenegrins, Bosnians, Roma and a few other ethnic groups.

The predominant religion is Roman Catholicism, followed tightly by Islam both of these religious majorities belong to the Albania group, despite Islam is also predominant in the Bosnian minority, there are also a small number of Orthodox Montenegrins whom adhere to the Slavonic church.

The albanian inhabitants belong to several clans, the predominant ones being Malesor clans like Hoti, Koja, Trieshi, Kelmendi mostly Vuthajs , Shkreli, with a few from the Gruemira clans, followed by the Dukagjini clans like Shala being predominant and the Temali clans in lesser numbers.
Due to belonging to such clans, the most common spread surnames are Ujka, Lulgjuraj, Gjeloshi, Prifti, Camaj, Martini, Markaj, Bardhi, Marashi, Nikaj, Prekaj, Nikmarashi etc..

History

The settlement is believed to have origins in the early 13th century, when Albanian Gheg clansmen led by Llesh Tuzi settled in the area somewhere around 1280, coming down from the highlands in order to have a land base for various reasons.
When he settled here, Llesh Tuzi and his clansmen began the building of a Roman Catholic church and after his death this church was named after his name and the settlement took the settlement took his clan surname, being the predominantly stronger clan of the area.
Latier, many other Albanian clansmen began spreading in the valley around Tuzi and by the 14th century, Albanians were the most predominant group of the area.
Such as example was the village of Prifti close to Tuz, that was founded in the Early Medieval times by Albanian Shala clansmen led by Gjin Prifti whom named the village after his clan surname, whilst the slavic speaking population of the area left and headed further north in order to not enter in a conflict with the numerous Albanian clansmen.

Toponomy

Albanian toponyms are predominant in the area around Tuzi, swell as around Ulqin, Guci, Plava and other Albanian settlements in country.

Villages and areas of Tuzi municipality:

Arrez
Bardhaj
Benkaj
Budez
Cem
Delaj
Dinoshe
Mileshi i Ulte
Mileshi i Eperm
Dreshaj
Drume
Dushaj
Gurra
Helminica
Koje
Koder-Budan
Kreshe
Llofke
Lekaj
Nabome
Nenhelm
Omer-Bozhaj
Nikmarashaj
Pankal
Pikale
Prifti
Shpia e Rakise
Spija
Traboini
Vllane
Tuzi
Camaj
Triesh
Uksan-Lekaj

Ukgjin
05-01-2015, 12:48 AM
What's interesting is that more than 80% of the toponyms of the area are in Albanian, same thing around Ulqin, Plava, Guci, and partially Tivar, despite being incorporated nowadays in another country.

All the Albanian historical areas in Montenegro cover at least and more than 25% of the modern multi ethnic state.

Drawing-slim
05-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Been there many times. Nice little town.

Vukodav
06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
What's interesting is that more than 80% of the toponyms of the area are in Albanian, same thing around Ulqin, Plava, Guci, and partially Tivar, despite being incorporated nowadays in another country.

All the Albanian historical areas in Montenegro cover at least and more than 25% of the modern multi ethnic state.

proof?

Kastrioti1443
06-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Lol Vukodav, I can post here, endless maps since 1280 til 1870 AD that make not 1/4, but more than 70% of Montenegro part of the Albanian realm, ethnic and political albanian realm.

We must be aware, that montenegro is the equivalent of fyrom on this regard.

Vukodav
06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Lol Vukodav, I can post here, endless maps since 1280 til 1870 AD that make not 1/4, but more than 70% of Montenegro part of the Albanian realm, ethnic and political albanian realm.

We must be aware, that montenegro is the equivalent of fyrom on this regard.

please do. Albanian "realm" is an unknown term until 100 years ago. so. it would be funny to see even maps made in MS Paint.
Montenegro as independant and reckognized country exist more then half of Balkan states.

Murri
09-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Around Guci the Shala clan dominates, after all it was founded in the early Medieval times by Ded Shala and a joint force of clansmen from Lotaj if I am not mistaken, however after the conversion to Islam many have become subject of assimilation in the Muslim Slavic ethnicity.

In Malesi, it is mostly the descendants of Keq Preka and his sons, the clans of Koja, Trieshi plus the Hotians that descend from Lazer Keqi, whilst there is a notable influence of Kelmendi clansmen from Nikshi brotherhood.

Tuzi was settled somewhere around 1241 in the early 13th century and I think that Llesh Tuzi was of either Mirdita or Berisha descent, however I am not sure and I have to study more on archives regarding this.

In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, I think that Trina Smajli was of this extract whilst the remaining clansmen are of the Gjelaj clan that moved along with Keq Preka and settled quite a lot of villages.

Ulqin's villages are dominated by Shkreli clansmen, the city itself has a population that descends from various clans, namely Mirdites, native city clans, Shaljans, and some minor clans like the Shpuza one.

Tivar is home to many native clans and many Shpuza clansmen as well, I heard there are some Kelmendi clansmen there as well anyway.

Skerdilaid
09-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Around Guci the Shala clan dominates, after all it was founded in the early Medieval times by Ded Shala and a joint force of clansmen from Lotaj if I am not mistaken, however after the conversion to Islam many have become subject of assimilation in the Muslim Slavic ethnicity.

In Malesi, it is mostly the descendants of Keq Preka and his sons, the clans of Koja, Trieshi plus the Hotians that descend from Lazer Keqi, whilst there is a notable influence of Kelmendi clansmen from Nikshi brotherhood.

Tuzi was settled somewhere around 1241 in the early 13th century and I think that Llesh Tuzi was of either Mirdita or Berisha descent, however I am not sure and I have to study more on archives regarding this.

In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, I think that Trina Smajli was of this extract whilst the remaining clansmen are of the Gjelaj clan that moved along with Keq Preka and settled quite a lot of villages.

Ulqin's villages are dominated by Shkreli clansmen, the city itself has a population that descends from various clans, namely Mirdites, native city clans, Shaljans, and some minor clans like the Shpuza one.

Tivar is home to many native clans and many Shpuza clansmen as well, I heard there are some Kelmendi clansmen there as well anyway.

According to Hoti, Gruda settled there before them, at least to their oral traditions. Interesting though Gjelaj and Sinishtaj don't decent from the same ancestor genetically which contradicts their oral traditions. Do you happen to know more about these two brotherhoods?

Era
09-09-2015, 05:12 PM
In the Gruda tribal area almost a quarter of it descends from Berisha clansmen, .

Welcome!

Do you know the last names used in Gruda?

Nga je ti?

Skerdilaid
09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Where are those endless maps Kastrated promised? :laugh:

Anyway, there have been some religious conflicts there, not long ago. Not shooting or anything but fights among teens and so. It's peaceful but not harmonious really. Could those muslims be Bosniaks or Gypsies?

Hey ratface, move along.

Murri
09-09-2015, 05:37 PM
According to Hoti, Gruda settled there before them, at least to their oral traditions. Interesting though Gjelaj and Sinishtaj don't decent from the same ancestor genetically which contradicts their oral traditions. Do you happen to know more about these two brotherhood?

Gruda is not a proper clan, but rather a tribal area, and it was originally inhabitated by Berisha clansmen that moved from the core region in the tribal Puka region and settled these villages, probably in the 13th century and built a Roman Catholic church there, then somewhere around 1502, the Gjelaj clan arrive here, as it is written in documents the church had been built 200 years before the Gjelajs clan arrived, the vast majority of the tribal area is now inhabitated by the Gjelaj clan as reported by the Hungarian baron Franz Nopsca ( 1500-1600 tė kenė ardhur po nė Grudė nga Ercegovina, fisi Djell (Giel ?), ndėrsa pjesa tjetėr ishin autoktonė nga trungu i Berishės qė nė vitin 1908 numėronte 80 shtėpi)

Most likely Keq Preka came here along with the Gjelaj clan and some other clansmen in the 16th century because they deemed risky a longer permanence in the northern pastorlands after the Ottomans defeated the lowlands Slaves and sent them in pastoral areas as well.

Hoti is composed of two branches: 1) descending from old inhabitants of the area, they were found here by the New Hot and Lazer Keqi, named as Old Hoti a certain warlike clan leader such as Anario Hoti was mentioned somewhere around 1300, it was sure that they were Albanian speakers as they were mentioned as such and very vigorous fighters, these Hotians moved elsewhere and are almost no longer present in Hoti.

2) descending from Lazer Keqi son of Keq Prima, arrived as Albanian speakers and founded many villages like Bardhaj and Keqaj, and form the majority of Hot, these are the New Hoti, and many figures like Palok Traboini, Gjelosh Luli

I am just throwing a supposition, but I think that the Old Hot was E1b1b like Berisha and may be linked somehow to Murr Deti and Llesh Tuzi, whilst the new Hoti catties J2 from what I've seen in the Albanian DNA project, also the Gjelajs from Gruda are J2 so they might be linked to the original expansion of Keq Preka perhaps?

Skerdilaid
09-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Gruda is not a proper clan, but rather a tribal area, and it was originally inhabitated by Berisha clansmen that moved from the core region in the tribal Puka region and settled these villages, probably in the 13th century and built a Roman Catholic church there, then somewhere around 1502, the Gjelaj clan arrive here, as it is written in documents the church had been built 200 years before the Gjelajs clan arrived, the vast majority of the tribal area is now inhabitated by the Gjelaj clan as reported by the Hungarian baron Franz Nopsca ( 1500-1600 tė kenė ardhur po nė Grudė nga Ercegovina, fisi Djell (Giel ?), ndėrsa pjesa tjetėr ishin autoktonė nga trungu i Berishės qė nė vitin 1908 numėronte 80 shtėpi)

Most likely Keq Preka came here along with the Gjelaj clan and some other clansmen in the 16th century because they deemed risky a longer permanence in the northern pastorlands after the Ottomans defeated the lowlands Slaves and sent them in pastoral areas as well.

Hoti is composed of two branches: 1) descending from old inhabitants of the area, they were found here by the New Hot and Lazer Keqi, named as Old Hoti a certain warlike clan leader such as Anario Hoti was mentioned somewhere around 1300, it was sure that they were Albanian speakers as they were mentioned as such and very vigorous fighters, these Hotians moved elsewhere and are almost no longer present in Hoti.

2) descending from Lazer Keqi son of Keq Prima, arrived as Albanian speakers and founded many villages like Bardhaj and Keqaj, and form the majority of Hot, these are the New Hoti, and many figures like Palok Traboini, Gjelosh Luli

I am just throwing a supposition, but I think that the Old Hot was E1b1b like Berisha and may be linked somehow to Murr Deti and Llesh Tuzi, whilst the new Hoti catties J2 from what I've seen in the Albanian DNA project, also the Gjelajs from Gruda are J2 so they might be linked to the original expansion of Keq Preka perhaps?

I was thinking along those lines myself and I mentioned it to another member here actually. Very likely that Vuksan Gjela was related to Keq Preka. Today though we can easily prove if that is the case through ftdna. We do have a Hoti tested there, the Gjelaj brotherhood, and possibly a Triepshi too (to be confirmed) that are J2b, so all we need is a Gruda tested.

Murri
09-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Welcome!

Do you know the last names used in Gruda?

Nga je ti?

Pi Grade jam, me fis Berish, pi nans jam pri mirdite, kushnenas.