PDA

View Full Version : FDA to Crack Down on Home-based Soap Makers

Kazimiera
05-01-2015, 01:53 AM
FDA to Crack Down on Home-based Soap Makers

Source: http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/fda-to-crack-down-on-home-based-soap-makers/

http://healthimpactnews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/04/soaps-artisan.jpg

People who are trying to do good for their families and the planet by living a simple life based on traditional skills are facing yet another assault. Artisanal soap makers say new regulations, proposed by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California) and Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine), will put them out of business.

The view of Sen. Feinstein and her corporate backers (listed below) is that the Personal Care Products Safety Act (Senate Bill S.1014) will make the world a safer place by scrutinizing “everything from shampoo and hair dye to deodorant and lotion.” She says the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act should be more progressive like laws in Europe rather than antiquated US regulations in effect since the 1930s.

If the industries that back this law are really so concerned about safety, why don’t they voluntarily make healthy products, like the small time producers already do?

Feinstein does not propose to ban these dangerous ingredients from soaps and cosmetics, just regulate them with tests and warning labels, fees, and recall authority. She thinks some of these products, though harmful to health, magically become “safe when used by professionals in a salon or spa setting.”

Companies and brands that support the bill:

Johnson & Johnson, brands include Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Lubriderm, Johnson’s baby products.
Procter & Gamble, including Pantene, Head & Shoulders, Clairol, Herbal Essences, Secret, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Ivory, CoverGirl, Olay, Sebastian Professional, Vidal Sassoon.
Revlon, brands include Revlon, Almay, Mitchum
Esteee Lauder, brands include Esteee Lauder, Clinique, Origins, Tommy Hilfiger, MAC, La Mer, Bobbi Brown, Donna Karan, Aveda, Michael Kors.
Unilever, brands include Dove, Tresemme, Lever, St. Ives, Noxzema, Nexxus, Pond’s, Suave, Sunsilk, Vaseline, Degree.
L’Oreeal, brands include L’Oreeal Paris, Lancome, Giorgio Armani, Yves Saint Laurent, Kiehl’s, Essie, Garnier, Maybelline-New York, Vichy, La Roche-Posay, The Body Shop, Redken.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Under Obongo the whole government has gone nuts. They have shot up dairy farms selling raw milk.

Smitty
05-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Good example of big business benefiting from big government. Heaven forbid some unsuspecting simpleton makes a bad soap purchase. :rolleyes:

Amud
05-01-2015, 02:14 AM
You can only use our OFFICIAL BANKID SOAP. Why would you want to use unofficial non-bankid soap? What are you, a mentally ill terrorist conspiracy theorist?

Jeez, what a loon this guy is. I bet he believes there are aliens and FEMA camps in his soap.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
You can only use our OFFICIAL BANKID SOAP. Why would you want to use unofficial non-bankid soap? What are you, a mentally ill terrorist conspiracy theorist?

Jeez, what a loon this guy is. I bet he believes there are aliens and FEMA camps in his soap.

It must have the Made In China seal of quality to be deemed safe.

True story I got some dog treats the other day and they made all my dogs have bloody runny poop. Looking online, seems like everyone else has had the same issue, and they are made in china.

Marshmallow Fluff
05-01-2015, 10:55 AM
This is utterly ridiculous! I purchase soap from someone on Etsy, I like that homemade soap doesn't usually contain the harmful chemicals that standard soap does. I pay $6 dollars for a bar, when I receive the bar I cut it into chunks to make them last longer, the last bar of soap I had lasted me over 6 months.

The FDA also cracked down on small entrepreneurs selling cloth mensurable pads. They decided to classify the pads as medical devices, now you have to pay fees in order to sell the pads.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/fda-classifies-reusable-menstrual-pads-medical-devices-retailers-must-pay-fee-sell-313572