PDA

View Full Version : As of 1400, where were all of your ancestors living?

Sikeliot
05-05-2015, 07:01 AM
This was before globalization, and even before colonization. Slave trade didn't start, Europeans were still in Europe.

Based on what I know, and a bit of guessing, this is what it'd be for me:

Sicily --> obvious
Sardinia --> obvious
Poland --> obvious
Portugal --> both my Madeiran ancestors and Cape Verdean ancestors were in mainland Portugal, probably Minho going by historical record of settlement.
Senegal, Gambia or Guinea --> Africans not brought to Cape Verde until 1500.
Angola --> possible, but not certain. Minor presence of Angolan slaves in Madeira and Cape Verde.
Lithuania --> grandfather claims documented Lithuanian ancestry from centuries ago.
Albania --> distantly Arbereshe on my Sicilian side.
Turkey --> distantly Anatolian Greek on my Sicilian side.

Wadaad
05-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Exactly where I was born.

zhaoyun
05-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Disparate parts of Northern China, right before China sent out the most massive fleet known to mankind until the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckdn18SAldg

Sikeliot
05-05-2015, 07:09 AM
I'd also not be surprised, based on numerous 23andme cousin matches of large size, if Belarus or Russia was a possibility for me also. But I can't prove that one. Also possibly Mozambique as it was also a Portuguese colony but I don't think any Mozambicans were brought to Cape Verde. Most went to Brazil.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-05-2015, 07:12 AM
There was a lot more moving around back then than most people credit. Probably for me ireland, england and scotland with tiny bit in lands of teutonic order, but going back that far it is very hard to say unless you have traces your lineage there.

Taiga Lake
05-05-2015, 07:18 AM
They were where i am now, mindblow :D

Partizan
05-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Georgia------> Father's maternal side is descended from Cumans who were settled in Georgia.
Azerbaijan------> Father's paternal side(Terekeme) probably migrated to Georgia in 16.th century.
Turkey------> Mother's maternal side is from Central Anatolia and mother's paternal side might be descended from the Turks who were settled to Balkans from Central Anatolia.
Ukraine------> There is a Crimean Tatar possiblity for my mom's dad side.

TheGoldenSon
05-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Mainly Bosnia.

Mr Moi
05-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Scotland, Ireland, England, Wales, Germany, France, Netherlands and Denmark... In no particular order...

poiuytrewq0987
05-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Somewhere round here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/First_Balkan_war_-_liberated_territories_1913.png

Ivan Kramskoï
05-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Polish Lithuania Commonwealth, Russians kingdoms, France, Savoie are sure
As I have Russian noble ancestors the probability of having foreign blood is quite high so I can't speak for the rest of countries.

Svipdag
05-05-2015, 11:56 PM
God only knows. I'm sure I don't.

Skjaldemjøden
05-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Kingdom of Denmark–Norway, Kingdom of Poland, Persia and Iraq.

Longbowman
05-06-2015, 12:08 AM
I can only say Spain for certain, but probably also Portugal and possibly Italy, modern-day Iraq and possibly Syria, possibly the UK, and Poland, Ukraine, that sort of area.

Armand_Duval
05-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Spain, France and México.

Xavi
05-06-2015, 12:38 AM
My family from both sides originated in Northern Spain.

de Burgh II
05-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Probably commoners ancestrally in Northern Ireland before settling in Nova Scotia as cabinetmakers and Central France before settling in Quebec.

rhiannon
05-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Er...Northwest Europe, including all of the British Isles. That's all I know. Wish I knew more lol

Brianna
05-06-2015, 01:32 AM
England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales

Finland, Norway, Sweden

Belgium, France, Germany

maybe Italy, the Netherlands, North America

Alessio
05-06-2015, 01:36 AM
I'd also not be surprised, based on numerous 23andme cousin matches of large size, if Belarus or Russia was a possibility for me also. But I can't prove that one. Also possibly Mozambique as it was also a Portuguese colony but I don't think any Mozambicans were brought to Cape Verde. Most went to Brazil.

What is ''a large size'' ?

Gooding
05-06-2015, 01:39 AM
As of 1400, the bulk of my ancestors would have been in England and Scotland. A substantial number would have been living in various areas of France. Fewer still would be living in southwestern Germany ( Franconia) and the smallest component of my ancestry would have been living in Bern Kanton, Switzerland.

Weedman
05-06-2015, 01:39 AM
some were living in Scotland, probably in the western Lowlands but some maybe in the west Highlands at the time too,

I know of one at least who would have either been in the west central belt, near to Glasgow, Renfrewshire etc... or North Ayrshire

I know some would have been Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers since this was about the time they started to become very active, historically.

others would have been in the south of England, I know of some especially who would have most likely lived in Somerset and the Bath and Bristol areas

others in general SW England some more sporadic

a few would have been in Germany, in the south-west region in to the Palatine states.

one would have been a peasant in Mortaigne-Au-Perche in what is now Lower Normandy.

I hope at least some of them would have been knights or just great fighters even if most were likely commoners.

and of course it would e interesting to see how their lives were affected by the religious differences starting to develop in Europe at the time too.

Gooding
05-06-2015, 01:48 AM
some were living in Scotland, probably in the western Lowlands but some maybe in the west Highlands at the time too,

I know of one at least who would have either been in the west central belt, near to Glasgow, Renfrewshire etc... or North Ayrshire

I know some would have been Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers since this was about the time they started to become very active, historically.

others would have been in the south of England, I know of some especially who would have most likely lived in Somerset and the Bath and Bristol areas

others in general SW England some more sporadic

a few would have been in Germany, in the south-west region in to the Palatine states.

one would have been a peasant in Mortaigne-Au-Perche in what is now Lower Normandy.

I hope at least some of them would have been knights or just great fighters even if most were likely commoners.

and of course it would e interesting to see how their lives were affected by the religious differences starting to develop in Europe at the time too.

I'm pretty sure that the power of the Catholic Church would have kept any dissension to a minimum.. although I think there might have been Lollards in certain areas of England quietly operating.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lollardy There would also have been Hussites and Waldensians in parts of Continental Europe. I'm not sure if the Albigensians still existed or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussites, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

Arbërori
05-06-2015, 01:50 AM
Western FYR of Macedonia, Kosovo, Northern Albania & Northern Greece most likely.

Smitty
05-06-2015, 01:52 AM
British Isles (England and Ireland for sure, probably Wales and Scotland as well)
Germany
Sicily
Denmark (via Germany, but the family story says Danish ancestry)
possibly France

StonyArabia
05-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Paternal: North Caucasus, Turkey, Crimea
Maternal: Arabia

Petalpusher
05-06-2015, 01:55 AM
For sure : France, England, Germany, Italy

The rest is unsure or more recent.

Sacrificed Ram
05-06-2015, 02:10 AM
Some brothels around the world (where the true history occurs).

Kabul
05-06-2015, 02:46 AM
From my mother's side of the family:

To my knowledge, my mother's side of the family is of mostly Bulgarian heritage, but her father's (My maternal Grandfather's) side of the family has some foreign origin (Greek and Crimean Tatar)

Thessaloniki, Byzantine Empire (Modern Greece) - I keep a book containing a family tree tracing all of my ancestors from my mother's side of the family starting in 1760, and my mother's side of the family (from her grandfather) traces back to merchants from Thessaloniki, possibly of Greek origin (since the family name was "Гърков", or, "Gurkov", the word "Гърк", or, "Gurk" being a corruption/incorrect way to say "Грък", or "Gruk", in Bulgarian, which means "Greek".

Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Golden Horde (Modern Ukraine) - My mother's grandmother came from a family of partial Crimean Tatar descent, originally from Bihorod, which were among the founding families of the Bulgarian town of Pazardzhik, which at the time of foundation was called "Tatar Pazardzhik" (Small Tatar Marketplace).

Father's side of the family:

To my knowledge, my father's side of the family is entirely of Bulgarian heritage (at least that's what I know).

Bitola, Ottoman Empire (Modern day Macedonia) - My father's side of the family were Derventdzhii (Ottoman Christian Auxiliary troops, guards of important roads and mountain passes) living in autonomous military settlements/hosts centred around Bitola.

Golden_Eagle
05-06-2015, 03:46 AM
England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales

Finland, Norway, Sweden

Belgium, France, Germany

maybe Italy, the Netherlands, North America

Wow, americans are such big mongrels...

LightHouse89
05-06-2015, 04:49 AM

North Western Euros are not mongrels and all look the same. Are you envious of this?

LightHouse89
05-06-2015, 04:49 AM
Me= British Islands [mostly], Germany [probably Netherlands too] and Northern France.

Mortimer
05-06-2015, 04:52 AM
europe (balkans)
india

Dylan
05-06-2015, 04:58 AM

Eastern Poland and Western Belarus are basically the same. It's kind of a spectrum.

Dylan
05-06-2015, 05:00 AM

1 person out of 315 million people. Chances are she's like .1% of half those anyway. Most white Americans are 2-3 things. And its not like they are Russian and Portuguese. It's more like a combo of Irish, English and German or just Swedish and German etc. which aren't really that different.

Dylan
05-06-2015, 05:03 AM
From what I know for sure...
Vermont/Quebec (3% Algonquin Native American)
France (46%) - including some Basques, Catalans, and Bretons. Most of the French part would have been in La Rochelle, Poitier, and Paris.
.3% Scotland
.3% England
.3% Germany
.1% Spain
.1% Swiss-French
25% Italy
25% Ireland

SupaThug
05-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Most were living in the kingdoms of Portugal and Castilla,in the Emirate of Granada and in the Republics of Florence and Venice.A smaller amount of them were in Sub-saharan Africa and in the territory that would become Brazil.

Rose
05-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Turkey i guess:)

Roy
05-06-2015, 05:34 AM
Poland I guess.

Queen B
05-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Crete, Zakynthos, Pelloponese and Chalkidiki

Sikeliot
05-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Crete, Zakynthos, Pelloponese and Chalkidiki

I thought you had some southern Italian also?

Sikeliot
05-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Eastern Poland and Western Belarus are basically the same. It's kind of a spectrum.

This could be. I do know of some Lithuanian ancestry in my family, but judging by 23andme I do suspect Russian also. (Belarusians are basically ethnic Russians, no?) I do get a lot of matches from modern day Russia, and my mother gets even more.

Dylan
05-06-2015, 06:57 AM
This could be. I do know of some Lithuanian ancestry in my family, but judging by 23andme I do suspect Russian also. (Belarusians are basically ethnic Russians, no?) I do get a lot of matches from modern day Russia, and my mother gets even more.

I think there is heavy overlap between Poles and Lithuanians depending on where in the country. This was especially the case way back. Even tons of Germans used to live there before WWII. But it could be something else. Belorussians (white Russians) are not that similar to Russians (Great Russians). Of course, they are, but not as much as one would think. I can generally tell if a man is Belorussian or not on sight for example, but not Russian as often. There are visible differences, but of course they are quite closely related.

Linebacker
05-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Pretty much still where I live now.We are high up in the mountains and rural,don't have much diversity and a lot of people here carry the true Proto-Balkanian genetics.

Strong and burly people.

Queen B
05-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I thought you had some southern Italian also?
Υeah, but I don't know anything about it, especially as back as 1400 goes.

Ctwentysevenj
05-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Italy, UK and Russia

Dombra
05-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Sweden and Finland. France, Germany and Belgium if we count minor ancestry

Graham
05-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Kingdom of Scotland, Kingdom of England(Wales, Ireland)

Morena
05-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Spain: mostly Asturias and Canary Islands.
Cuba
Maybe France.

Hithaeglir
05-06-2015, 03:50 PM
It's really back in time,so i can't be 100% sure.Based on the stories of my grandparents probably in different areas of Greece.

For my father : Epirus, Macedonia
For my mother : Peloponnese

I'm pretty sure that i don't have ancestry from the islands.

Lusos
05-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Portugal/Central Region

Tomar And Viseu

SupaThug
05-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Portugal/Central Region

Tomar And Viseu

Hmhm,Tomar...Were they members of the legendary Order of Christ?:)

Stimpy
05-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Different parts of Scandinavia (probably ~80-90% of my ancestors)

The rest were probably scattered in different parts of Europe, mostly northwestern/eastern Europe. Maybe very minor central & southern Europe.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
05-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Netherlands....probably in Poland or Czechia too.

Empecinado
05-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Around 60 km where I was born.

Veneda
05-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Western and Central Lechia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechia)

Aviator
05-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Scandinavia, with a couple of stragglers and slackers hanging out in Northern Scotland and the Netherlands.

Faklon
05-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Turkey --> distantly Anatolian Greek on my Sicilian side.

How do you know that?

Hard to know for sure,some were pastoral nomads.

3/4 of my known ancestry(including nomads) is from Northernmost parts of modern Central Greece regional unit(in 1400 it was Thessaly),going by the known surnames they seem to gather mostly around and between modern Thessaly to Peloponnese(Northern parts) which seems to suffice known legends and mentions,(Greek)Macedonia and 2-3 islands appear but due to low frequencies I presume they are immigrants there.I don't take Epirus(possible origin of nomads and a mention) out of the equation neither.

1/4,possibly along the coasts of Eastern and Northern Aegean.

Trogdor
05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Most likely they were living where they came from: Apulia. I may also have Albanian (Arbereshe) ancestry from my mother's side, so there's that.

Tacitus
05-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Central/Southern Italy, and possibly the Peloponnese and/or Albania.

How do you know that?

He can't know for certain (like I can't), unless he's traced the paper trail all the way back to when they arrived in Sicily.

LightHouse89
05-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Scandinavia, with a couple of stragglers and slackers hanging out in Northern Scotland and the Netherlands.

I knew you had Scots LOL.

LightHouse89
05-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Me, 3 out of 8 of my great grand parents were from Ireland. 2 out of 8 came from Germany and 1 came from Quebec. The rest were colonial Americans. All of my German ancestors came from Western Germany except one from the island of Rugen. My french ancestors mostly came from Brittany, although I traced my great grand fathers name to somewhere in the south of france.

The rest were from Southern England and East Anglia. The Irishers came from all over the island.

Buchan
05-15-2015, 05:15 PM
I know concretely of only one ancestor of mine from as far back as 1400. He lived in Norfolk, and was a barrister and scholar who held the title of Esquire.

Rudel
05-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Mostly in the general area of my birth, as well as around Paris, in Normandy, Brittany and Southern Limousin/Quercy/Western Auvergne.

LightHouse89
05-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Mostly in the general area of my birth, as well as around Paris, in Normandy, Brittany and Southern Limousin/Quercy/Western Auvergne.

No true frenchman has Norman ancestry :cool::rolleyes:

Highlands
05-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Balkan area.

Dandelion
05-15-2015, 07:59 PM
I dunno. Probably the Duchy of Brabant as some peasants.

Watch_Owl
05-15-2015, 08:05 PM
They were poor people in Spain and native-americans in Mexico.

Black Wolf
05-15-2015, 08:13 PM
While you may have a good idea where a good majority of your ancestors may have been living during the 1400s it is pretty much impossible to truly know where all of them were living.

Sockorer
05-15-2015, 09:58 PM
The North European Plain, British Isles and Scandinavia.

Dandelion
05-16-2015, 01:29 AM
While you may have a good idea where a good majority of your ancestors may have been living during the 1400s it is pretty much impossible to truly know where all of them were living.

Unless you have a family tree. Some people are able to trace back their family that far.

I sadly am not, but I assume most of my ancestors to be from around here. That's usually correct for anyone who isn't a mongrel. ;)

Äijä
05-16-2015, 01:39 AM
99% in Tavastia, Birkaland, Satakunta, and Southern Ostrobothnia.

Shah-Jehan
05-16-2015, 03:02 AM
Chittagong, Sultanate of Bengal <----- maternal side and paternal grandmother's side
Herat/Isfahan Timurid Iran <---- paternal grandfather's side

Anglojew
05-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Mainly France and Britain.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Unless you have a family tree. Some people are able to trace back their family that far.

I sadly am not, but I assume most of my ancestors to be from around here. That's usually correct for anyone who isn't a mongrel. ;)

I have some that are traced back to 1400s, but I don't take it seriously going back that far. There are likely adoptions or 'paternity events' that far back anyway, but even more likely that you latched onto a bogus lead somewhere along the way, or another geneology that someone did which was not 100%.

Hecate360
07-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, and some probably still in Wales.

Mars06
07-05-2015, 04:35 AM
In 1400, lots of places, but not equally so. But in order, something like this:

England > Sicily > the Netherlands > Germany > France = Scotland = Belgium

Maybe some Albanians and Greeks too, but I haven't traced my Sicilian side far enough to say.

Watch_Owl
07-05-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm sure on my ancestry were Native-Americans for the most part. My original Spaniard grandparent if I had one was probably just a poor peasant from Spain. I really doubt they were anything special. They were plain people for the most part.

Jägerstaffel
07-05-2015, 05:09 AM
England and Scotland.

Armand_Duval
07-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Exactly as my info board says, Iberia, France and Central Mexico.

JBoscherville
07-05-2015, 05:32 AM
After the late 19th Century; England/Ireland. Before late 19th century I have no idea :dunno:

Bobby Martnen
02-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Ireland
Britain
West Germany/Alsace/German Switzerland
Sicily
Slovakia/Hungary

Smeagol
02-04-2018, 07:19 AM
England, Ireland, France, Germany, Russia, and possibly Poland.

Sekkmer
02-04-2018, 07:41 AM

FrostAssassin0701
02-16-2018, 12:09 AM
Bengal, Scandinavia, China, England

alnortedelsur
02-16-2018, 12:57 AM
Mostly in Europe (very likely most of them in Spain and some in Italy), a small percentage in Western Africa, and another small percentage of them were Amerindians living in the territory of today's Venezuela. I say all this based on my family history and my genetic results.

Token
02-16-2018, 01:06 AM
Europe, probably mostly in Germany.

ovidiu
02-17-2018, 01:17 AM
I can actually trace some of my family back to the 1400s, but no earlier. Part of my family on my mother's side were boieri (boyars), a type of lower nobility, who were knighted for their service to King Stephen against the Turks in the 1400s (and I can trace that part back to that century) and some later for King Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazu). They had a manor with about a hundred acres, but lost it when the Communists came to power.

My other parts, I don't know they were more ordinary people and my records of them only go back to the 1800s. But I assume they were more or less in the same regions.

Peterski
02-17-2018, 01:23 AM
As far as I know:

- Polish-Lithuanian Union
- State of the Teutonic Order
- The Holy Roman Empire

But I can't rule out some ancestors living in Britain or Iberia at that time.

Óttar
02-17-2018, 01:25 AM
Probably England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Germany, France, Italy.

Profileid
02-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Probably England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Germany, France, Italy.

This for me minus Italy. Seeing as how I score a small amount of south asian, I possibly have an ancestor living somewhere there as well.

ÁGUIA
02-17-2018, 12:48 PM
That's a big stretch in mister time, but probably same as now, Northern Portugal and Galicia.
Being themselves I'd like to believe, nobility of plow and dibble.