PDA

View Full Version : Iceland revokes law allowing citizens to kill Basques

Leo Iscariot
05-08-2015, 08:34 PM
By Luna Finnsson
12:15 pm May 6, 2015

Authorities in Iceland have revoked a 400-year-old law that allowed citizens to kill Basques on sight.

For the past four centuries, people in Iceland have been permitted to kill anyone from the Basque region of northern Spain and southern France should they step foot on the North Atlantic island.

However, last week authorities decided it was finally time to abolish a law that resulted in the killing of 32 Basque whalers 400 years ago.

Back in the summer of 1615, three Basque whaling ships entered an Icelandic fjord after coming to an agreement with Icelanders; however, on their departure they were shipwrecked in a gale. The West Fjords commissioner at the time, Ari Magnusson of Ogur, then demanded that the survivors were hunted down and killed after stories they had become entangled in a bitter dispute with locals.

In October that year, 32 Basque whalers were killed by Icelanders in what remains the only recorded mass murder in the country.

But on 22 April this year, the West Fjords district commissioner Jonas Gudmundsson officially revoked the law at a special event to commemorate the ‘Slaying of the Spaniards’, joking that it was now safe for people from the Basque region to travel to Iceland. He explained that repealing the order was mainly for “fun” because it had obviously not been carried out for many years.

Among the attendees at the event were the Icelandic Minister of Education and Culture Illugi Gunnarsson and the Basque Gipuzkoa Governor Martin Garitanoand.

Meanwhile, Basques in Spain praised Iceland for the move, with MP Jon Inarritu from the Basque pro-independence party Amaiur saying the ceremony marked a public homage to those that were killed all those years ago.

http://www.icenews.is/2015/05/06/iceland-revokes-law-allowing-citizens-to-kill-basques/

TheGoldenSon
05-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Few more laws like this and Iceland is going the way of the dodos and the Spaniard Puddles.

RandoBloom
05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
And so the decadence of Iceland begins :(

Skjaldemjřden
05-08-2015, 08:51 PM
:laugh: Reminds me of that recent law in Ukraine banning municipalities from paving streets with Jewish gravestones.

Sideritis
05-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Was about time. Now we just have to wait until Greece scraps down, the " War Law" with Albania (http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/albania-calls-on-greece-to-end-state-of-war) (from WWII) and will have peace again . :p

The Illyrian Warrior
05-08-2015, 09:22 PM
This was made possible only thanks to BarcelonaAtlantis enlightenment making inferior Vikings known that they're dealing with God's chosen people.

Empecinado
05-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Recently, the monasteries of Mount Athos in Greece revoked law banning "Catalans" to enter there. 700 years later.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
The owned and cheating nordics have finally been caste down in flames as was foretold.

Prisoner Of Ice
05-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Recently, the monasteries of Mount Athos in Greece revoked law banning "Catalans" to enter there. 700 years later.

People really didn't like spain back in the day.

Empecinado
05-08-2015, 10:36 PM
People really didn't like spain back in the day.

In case of Greeks and Bulgarians it was justified back then.

Dombra
05-08-2015, 10:37 PM
It is the loss of traditions like this that will make Iceland go the same way as the mainland Nordics :icon_cry:

♥ Lily ♥
11-03-2016, 01:41 AM
I think they should be more concerned about ISIS terrorists, rather than Basques.

Colonel Frank Grimes
11-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Thank goodness. The worry I hear from Basques if they wash up on Iceland's shore in 2016.

Ülev
11-10-2016, 09:10 PM
CD is in danger?

Graham
11-10-2016, 09:26 PM
In York, England they can kill me with a bow and arrow. A suit of Armour is necessary.

Cristiano viejo
11-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Butthurt Icelanders... :laugh:

crazyladybutterfly
11-10-2016, 09:41 PM
I think they should be more concerned about ISIS terrorists, rather than Basques.

lol isis in iceland?
But it would be hilarous to have muslims there .. they dont have "INHERITED" surname so with the flow of immigration you'll have kids named :
Ahmed Mohammedsson

I mean.. It sounds so funny that I cannot not hope for a big muslim wave of immigration in that small desolated country.

It would also be fun to see Isis threatening greenland inuits

Ülev
11-10-2016, 09:52 PM
lol isis in iceland?
But it would be hilarous to have muslims there .. they dont have "INHERITED" surname so with the flow of immigration you'll have kids named :
Ahmed Mohammedsson

I mean.. It sounds so funny that I cannot not hope for a big muslim wave of immigration in that small desolated country.

It would also be fun to see Isis threatening greenland inuits

Islamic State = www.xxx .is

http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/militant-group-isis-registered-its-domain-name-iceland

Militant group ISIS registered its domain name in Iceland

According to the National Broadcasting Service, RÚV, a group linked to the miilitant group ISIS has its domain name registered in Iceland. MP Birgitta Jónsdóttir brought attention to the matter via her Twitter account.

The website khilafah.is was registered in September by a man named Azym Abdullah in New Zealand. The domain was registered with the Icelandic web hosting service ISNIC. The registration of .is domains is open to all persons and companies without any special restriction.

ISNIC’s managing director, Jens Pétur Jensson, suspects the Icelandic domain ending .is may attract Islamic State groups.

The company elected to terminate the domain due to the website’s contents. ISNIC currently hosts around fifty thousand domain names and this is the very first time the company has deleted a domain.