PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo Launches New Army

Revenant
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Kosovo unveiled its new army on Wednesday, which will operate under the supervision of NATO forces. Many of the new commanders are veterans of the insurgency against Serbia, and Belgrade says it will use all the diplomatic tools available to oppose the new force.

It is in the natural order of things that when a country gains independence the former freedom fighters take on the role of professional soldiers in their new homeland -- and Kosovo is no exception. The new Kosovo armed forces took over security duties on Wednesday, less than a year after the territory declared independence from Serbia. Belgrade is furious and says it will oppose the new army diplomatically.

The Kosovo Security Force (KSF) officially came into being on Wednesday and many of its commanders are veterans of the Kosovo Liberation Army, the group that fought Serb forces back in the 1990s. It was former Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic's brutal crackdown on the insurgency led by the KLA that prompted the NATO-led bombardment of Serbia in 1999.

The new force, which replaces a civilian emergency organization, will have 2,500 personnel and another 800 reservists but it will take some years before it becomes fully operational. The lightly armed troops will fulfil security duties in Kosovo but will remain under the supervision of NATO's 15,000 peacekeepers who are in charge of overall security.

The KSF's new commander Lieutenant General Sylejman Selimi, a former rebel fighter himself, called the troops a "professional force that will work in close cooperation with NATO."
"We're at the beginning of a new phase," he said. "This force has become a reality."

Belgrade has been quick to voice its anger at the creation of the force in a territory it still claims as part of Serbia. "There is no other way that Serbia can perceive the so-called Kosovo Security Force, but as a direct threat to its national security and a direct threat to peace and stability in the region of the western Balkans," Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic told a news conference on Wednesday. "We're going to continue protesting strongly using all diplomatic efforts and all diplomatic tools," he added.

Meanwhile, Goran Bogdanovic, Serbia's minister for Kosovo affairs, told radio station B92 in Belgrade that the creation of the force could only worsen the situation "at a time when Kosovo remains a tinderbox, when no one trust's Kosovo's so-called state bodies."

Kosovo, which is 90 percent ethnic Albanian, declared independence from Serbia in February 2008. It had been administered by the United Nations ever since NATO halted the Serb crackdown on the insurgency in 1999. The Serb minority of about 120,000 out of a total population of 2 million refuse to recognize the government in Pristina.

On Tuesday, Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Tahci told a news conference that the new KSF would be a "multiethnic force and will serve the country and all of its people." However, Serb leaders in Kosovo and the government in Belgrade have asked Kosovo Serbs not to join the force.
Countries that have recognized the new state have pledged to help the new force, which will be trained by British NATO officers, wear uniforms provided by the United States and drive vehicles provided by Germany. Initially it will have no tanks, heavy artillery or airplanes.

Serbia's President Boris Tadic has vowed to demand from the UN and NATO that the force be disbanded. Serb Foreign Minister Jeremic said that the new force was illegal, claiming it violated a UN resolution that called for the KLA to be demilitarized, and said it was "totally unacceptable to Serbia."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,602635,00.html

Multiethnic :rolleyes2: Gee, I wonder how that's going to work out.

Manifest Destiny
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Since September, 11th, 2001, America and some of it's allies have been fighting a war against terrorists. But it was only a few years before that an American-led NATO force fought a war in defense of terrorists: the KLA in Kosovo.

It's amazing how quickly peoples' perspectives can change, isn't it?

TheGreatest
01-23-2009, 04:11 AM
What a backwards looking army! The man with a rifle slung over his back was battle ready! :eek: He doesn't have body armor or even a helmet! :eek: And what do you think these guys are going to get? SKS rifles? Ak-47's? :D

These guys are more like an unequipped Gendarmerie.... They wouldn't last longer than 10 seconds without American help

Groenewolf
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Since September, 11th, 2001, America and some of it's allies have been fighting a war against terrorists.

Indeed, reminds me of this intervieuw (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-2514650272578459190). The American political elite is more then willing to use Islam against Europe.

Atlas
01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Indeed, reminds me of this intervieuw (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-2514650272578459190). The American political elite is more then willing to use Islam against Europe.

Let's not get paranoid. The neo-cons and the Jews at DC may be willing to wage a war against Europe with the help of Muslims but overall the American people do not wish that to their ancestors.

Groenewolf
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Let's not get paranoid. The neo-cons and the Jews at DC may be willing to wage a war against Europe with the help of Muslims but overall the American people do not wish that to their ancestors.

I also said their political elite, or better said a powerfull part of it.

Lenny
01-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Groenewolf is right (American elites have no loyalty to anything beyond themselves, [other than Israel]).

As for regular Americans: ~51% of babies born today in U.S. hospitals were nonwhite, according to the Census Bureau. In other words, when they grow up and the USA is made into a majority-nonwhite state, Europe won't be anything special to "most Americans" anymore.

Poltergeist
06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Albanians are white.

Brännvin
06-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Albanians are white.

Who cares? It seems just you

Poltergeist
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Why should anyone care about the interior business of the Republic of Kosova and its military organization?

Lenny
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Albanians are white.

I don't regard Albanians as Europeans.

The Lawspeaker
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Why should anyone care about the interior business of the Republic of Kosova and its military organization?
Well I do- for security reasons. I think that NATO should step aside and let Belgrade deal with it any way she bloody well pleases (as long as the Serbs withdraw from the Vajdaság in return.)

Frankly I don't care what the Serbs would do with Kosovo- they can turn it into a parking lot as long as Europe is relatively safe from that direction.

Svarog
06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
well i am done with this forum, but for the last post, no lawspeeker, Serbs won't withdraw from their territories, and cocksuckers liek you and your hungarian bf can dream on about it, it's not like anything is gonna happen beside internet solderism :p

Loki
06-22-2009, 04:08 PM
well i am done with this forum, but for the last post, no lawspeeker, Serbs won't withdraw from their territories, and cocksuckers liek you and your hungarian bf can dream on about it, it's not like anything is gonna happen beside internet solderism :p

Well Svarog, do you expect everyone on an international forum to agree with you? C'mon, you have more balls than that. One doesn't leave a forum because you get some opposition. It's just normal. You should expect your views to be challenged.

Guapo
06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Well Svarog, do you expect everyone on an international forum to agree with you? C'mon, you have more balls than that. One doesn't leave a forum because you get some opposition. It's just normal. You should expect your views to be challenged.

Its a touchy subject, especially when you had to hide in bomb shelters, lost family members. Nato made things worse in the Balkans where future generations will want revenge and more wars. Enough blood was spilled.

Poltergeist
06-22-2009, 05:46 PM

I can't believe someone can be thus hyper-sensitive. Of the whole board only one member (myself) doesn't share the Serbian view of Kosova, whilst all others, even those who disagree with you on many other things, do. And opposition of only one member suffices to be deadly offended and to leave the board in disgust.

Loki
06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Its a touchy subject, especially when you had to hide in bomb shelters, lost family members. Nato made things worse in the Balkans where future generations will want revenge and more wars. Enough blood was spilled.

Yes I can understand that Vojvoda, and Serbs do have my sympathy (you can read many posts I have made to this purpose). I just think that an internet forum is a good way to confront old arch-enemies and try to reason things out. There are no guns and bombs here on the forum. If we can at least make some progress in understanding each other in discussion, then it could mean there is hope for the real world as well. It all hinges on attitude, maturity and compromise.

I do like Svarog and don't want him to leave because of some national arguments with other European ethnic groups. I'd be happy to see us debate this more with an open mind.