PDA

View Full Version : Genetically Walloons are...?

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
05-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Are they "Frenchified Dutch" or are they descendants of Gauls, and are ethnically French?

King Claus
05-11-2015, 04:37 PM
They are mostly french

Dandelion
05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Funny you should mention. Fascist leader Léon Degrelle of the Rex was a firm believer in the Germanic status of the Walloons. I myself however am inclined to think they are mainly Celtic descendants if you ignore the Flemish influence.

05-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Funny you should mention. Fascist leader Léon Degrelle of the Rex was a firm believer in the Germanic status of the Walloons. I myself however am inclined to think they are mainly Celtic descendants if you ignore the Flemish influence.

Actually, I ask this question after watching a documentary about him :P

05-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Leon Degrelle doesn't even look Germanic aryan.

http://www.mufunyo.net/dic/src/1207404917536.jpg

he looks more typical Frenchman to me.

Gaston
05-11-2015, 04:51 PM
The Rhine valley looks like a partial genetic barrier: Western Germans and Southern Dutch are in an intermediate position between respectively Germans and Northern Dutch.

http://s28.postimg.org/obcl9ajn1/pca12.png

Wallons are probably located between the French average and the Southern Dutch one.

Ouistreham
05-11-2015, 06:24 PM

http://www.mufunyo.net/dic/src/1207404917536.jpg

This phenotype is very widespread in Belgium, France and Germany as well, and almost majority in all of those countries.

sioned
07-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Walloons aren't French...The Walloons are of Celtic-Germanic origin, whilst esp. during the 19th century thousands of Flemish labour settled in Wallonia and being assimilated into the Walloon population, along with many Germans and Luxembourgers...Its quite common to find Flemish and German surnames all over Wallonia...

Tchek
07-03-2015, 03:33 PM
What is called Wallonia is a meeting point of frankish and gallo-romans, not unlike the adjacent regions of other areas around.

Lawalye
09-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Actually, I ask this question after watching a documentary about him :P

The Germani also called the Tungri were a group of tribes in modern Wallonia and Limburg, the other "germanic" tribes were named as comparaison to them so if the walloons are not germanics, nobody is.

09-13-2015, 10:42 PM
The Germani also called the Tungri were a group of tribes in modern Wallonia and Limburg, the other "germanic" tribes were named as comparaison to them so if the walloons are not germanics, nobody is.

They are probably a mix of Germanics and Northern Gauls.

A lot similar to the British genetically. British average as Belgians, probably because it's a similar mix of North Celts (Britons and Gauls in Walloons' case) and Germanics.

Lawalye
09-13-2015, 10:57 PM
They are probably a mix of Germanics and Northern Gauls.

A lot similar to the British genetically. British average as Belgians, probably because it's a similar mix of North Celts (Britons and Gauls in Walloons' case) and Germanics.

Nope, they are the germanic,
germans and scandinavians should start getting an other name :

"The Tungri (or Tongri, or Tungrians) were a tribe, or group of tribes, who lived in the Belgic part of Gaul, during the times of the Roman empire. They were described by Tacitus as being the same people who were first called "Germani" (Germanic), meaning that all other tribes who were later referred to this way, including those in Germania east of the Rhine river were named after them."

"The name Germany, on the other hand, they say, is modern and newly introduced, from the fact that the tribes which first crossed the Rhine and drove out the Gauls, and are now called Tungrians, were then called Germans [Germani]. Thus what was the name of a tribe, and not of a race, gradually prevailed, till all called themselves by this self-invented name of Germans, which the conquerors had first employed to inspire terror"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungri

"First, Germania was a geographical area of land on the east bank of the Rhine from Gaul, which was left outside direct Roman control by Caesar."

"Second, Caesar uses the term Germani, for a very specific tribal grouping in northeastern Belgic Gaul, west of the Rhine, the largest part of which were the Eburones, making clear that he was using the name in the local way."

"The etymology of the word Germani is uncertain. The likeliest theory so far proposed is that it comes from a Gaulish compound of *ger "near" + *mani "men"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples

09-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Nope, they are the germanic :

"The Tungri (or Tongri, or Tungrians) were a tribe, or group of tribes, who lived in the Belgic part of Gaul, during the times of the Roman empire. They were described by Tacitus as being the same people who were first called "Germani" (Germanic), meaning that all other tribes who were later referred to this way, including those in Germania east of the Rhine river were named after them."

"The name Germany, on the other hand, they say, is modern and newly introduced, from the fact that the tribes which first crossed the Rhine and drove out the Gauls, and are now called Tungrians, were then called Germans [Germani]. Thus what was the name of a tribe, and not of a race, gradually prevailed, till all called themselves by this self-invented name of Germans, which the conquerors had first employed to inspire terror"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungri

"First, Germania was a geographical area of land on the east bank of the Rhine from Gaul, which was left outside direct Roman control by Caesar."

"Second, Caesar uses the term Germani, for a very specific tribal grouping in northeastern Belgic Gaul, west of the Rhine, the largest part of which were the Eburones, making clear that he was using the name in the local way."

"The etymology of the word Germani is uncertain. The likeliest theory so far proposed is that it comes from a Gaulish compound of *ger "near" + *mani "men"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples

But why would they not be mixed with Gauls?

Lawalye
09-13-2015, 11:04 PM

My point is that the name "Germani" applied only for a group of belgian tribes and has nothing to do with the so called germanic race of the 18th, 19th and 20th century.

So, how could the walloon could not be germanic if they are the originated of the people who were the germani while germans and scandinavians aren't ?

It is an etymological debate here.

09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
My point is that the name "Germani" applied only for a group of belgian tribes and as nothing to do with the so called germanic race of the 18th, 19th and 20th century.

So, how could the walloon could not be germanic if they are the originated of the people who were the germani while germans and scandinavians aren't ?

It is an etymological debate here.

Well I never said Walloons were not Germanic. I didn't know whether they were or not, so I started this thread.

Lawalye
09-13-2015, 11:13 PM

In fact, all the tribes who populated Wallonia, except in the west, were all considered as germanic tribes by the romans but the Eburones for example had celtic names si it's hard to see if they were correct or not.

Lawalye
09-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Well I never said Walloons were not Germanic. I didn't know whether they were or not, so I started this thread.

It's not against you,

see it's funny to see a map of the germanic expansion while Wallonia is not considered to be part in while the term Germani/Germania was the name of a group of belgian tribes from Wallonia and Limburg.

The most funny part on this map is that the nervi and the menapi are placed as germanic while they were obviously celtic and the Tungri are placed in the germanic area and not the Eburones while the eburones were part of the Tungri.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/735785germanen1znzo1.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=735785germanen1znzo1.jpg)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/156424gallia.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=156424gallia.jpg)

Gold-Shekel
12-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Old thread but I doubt Walloons are French. Their language (French) is only recent and has been forced upon the population by the Elite. The language is usually the main reason people claim Walloons are French.

Tchek
12-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Old thread but I doubt Walloons are French. Their language (French) is only recent and has been forced upon the population by the Elite. The language is usually the main reason people claim Walloons are French.

But Walloons aren't really Dutch nor Germans either...

Gold-Shekel
12-29-2016, 02:24 PM
But Walloons aren't really Dutch nor Germans either...

That doesn't make them French either.

It's possible that they are a mix of all or that they are mainly Celts.

Daco Celtic
02-23-2019, 03:52 AM
Me, me, me close Walloons

Gaussian method, LM K36 Report
Noise dispersion set to 0,130062
Using 1 population approximation:
1 Saarland @ 4,755928
2 Rheinland-Pfalz @ 4,793797
3 Tirol @ 4,839199
4 Hessen @ 4,922543
5 Walloons @ 4,944118
6 Bayern @ 5,054214
7 Swiss_German @ 5,182912
8 FR_Swiss @ 5,225238
9 FR_North-East @ 5,442466
10 Baden-Württemberg @ 5,502554

sioned
04-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Germanic surnames (Flemish, German) are quite common among Walloons...

dududud
04-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Picard.

Ikiru
04-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Gauls with Germanic admxiture. Very similar to Northern French people. It should be noted that they aren't that different from the Flemings, but that's because the Flemings are a mix of Gauls and Germans too: they're much less Germanic than their Dutch neighbors despite speaking a Germanic language.

Dandelion
04-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Balloons. This is why Leopold II was after rubber.

Dandelion
04-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Gauls with Germanic admxiture. Very similar to Northern French people. It should be noted that they aren't that different from the Flemings, but that's because the Flemings are a mix of Gauls and Germans too: they're much less Germanic than their Dutch neighbors despite speaking a Germanic language.

Don't forget North Brabant, Zeelandic Flanders and Limburg, with whom we share the most kinship abroad. Also, I don't really match with Walloons genetically.

Smaug
04-08-2019, 06:02 PM
The Waloons take their name fron the Germanic word walhaz*, which means “foreigners” and is also the root of many non-Germanic peoples or places bordering Germanic-speaking populations, such as the Wesh and the Vlachs. That point alone should shred some light on the subject, but on top of that there’s also the fact that the Waloons are Gallo-Romance speakers, whose roots can be traced back to Roman-Gaulish mixing.

Dandelion
04-08-2019, 06:03 PM
The Waloons take their name fron the Germanic word walhaz*, which means “foreigners” and is also the root of many non-Germanic peoples or places bordering Germanic-speaking populations, such as the Wesh and the Vlachs. That point alone should shred some light on the subject, but on top of that there’s also the fact that the Waloons are Gallo-Romance speakers, whose roots can be traced back to Roman-Gaulish mixing.

And in Swiss German they also call Francophone Swiss 'Welsche'. Same etymology.

Dandelion
04-09-2019, 04:10 PM
There was also one Walloon Protestant reformer from Mons who during never was active to the Northern Netherlands (he did preach in cities like Antwerp and Ghent, however. He was one of the most influential people in the formulation of the ethos as subscribed by the Dutch Reformed Church and also by Protestant Churches in Belgium and the Netherlands today (also worldwide). Guy de Bres was his name and his Confession of Faith (Confession de Foy) consists of 37 articles which deal with the doctrines of God, Scripture , humanity, sin, Christ, salvation, the Church, and the end times. He died a martyr for his faith as well.

His name does get mentioned in names of institutes and streets in very Protestant areas of the Netherlands.

Peterski
04-09-2019, 04:13 PM
They are mainly Italo-Celtic, but so are the Flemish. If you want to see a mainly Germanic population go to Dutch Friesland.