PDA

View Full Version : Finding a More Exact Subclade?

CordedWhelp
05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
I purchased a kit from 23andme and found that my Y-DNA is R1a1a. As we all know, 23andme doesn't get too deep into haplogroup subclades, at least for many people. Are there any known websites or some such to get a more exact understanding?

Jackson
05-11-2015, 10:58 PM
FTDNA is good, they offer deep-clade testing and various other things. Quite possible to find things of genealogical use apparently. Still need to do mine at some point, money allowing.

Catkin
05-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes, I obviously don't have any Y-DNA to test, but I've just sent off to get my mtDNA fully sequenced with FTDNA. I'm bored of being plain 'H' :D

Jackson
05-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Yes, I obviously don't have any Y-DNA to test, but I've just sent off to get my mtDNA fully sequenced with FTDNA. I'm bored of being plain 'H' :D

That's when you find out you are H1*. xD

Catkin
05-11-2015, 11:35 PM
That's when you find out you are H1*. xD

Probably! :P It will be interesting though because I can't trace that line very well at all, I'm stuck at my great-grandmother, and she was just from London.

Skjaldemjøden
05-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Probably! :P It will be interesting though because I can't trace that line very well at all, I'm stuck at my great-grandmother, and she was just from London.

Really? Aren't London's censuses/church records available to the public?

Catkin
05-11-2015, 11:58 PM

Yes, I think they pretty much are, but I haven't yet found her mother's maiden name. I could probably send off for complete records that might show me more, but I haven't yet.

Jackson
05-12-2015, 12:06 AM

To be fair even with those records, sometimes it's almost impossible. One of my ancestors relatives from London were very poor, and there are literally no records to be found (and they've uploaded all the relevant stuff for that time/place) in regards to death & burial and some other things. It's like they just vanished. Most of the time it's fine though.

Skjaldemjøden
05-12-2015, 12:10 AM
To be fair even with those records, sometimes it's almost impossible. One of my ancestors relatives from London were very poor, and there are literally no records to be found (and they've uploaded all the relevant stuff for that time/place) in regards to death & burial and some other things. It's like they just vanished. Most of the time it's fine though.

Doesn't sound right to me. Isn't it more likely that they died out of town?

Catkin
05-12-2015, 12:15 AM

True. I think my great-grandmother may have been born around here in about 1890:
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/oct/25/spitalfields-nippers-londons-poorest-children-in-the-early-1900s-in-pictures
There may well not be full records from such a poor area.

Graham
05-12-2015, 12:32 AM

She'll( whoever that be) pull out of London eventually, London's a city of migration. On my Mtdna side goes through London to someone born in Ireland.

Gooding
05-12-2015, 12:56 AM
I purchased a kit from 23andme and found that my Y-DNA is R1a1a. As we all know, 23andme doesn't get too deep into haplogroup subclades, at least for many people. Are there any known websites or some such to get a more exact understanding?

As an I1 myself, according to 23andMe, I must say I'm content with that designation. I get more and more content with it when I see the prices FTDNA have for expounding on the paternal haplogroups.

Jackson
05-12-2015, 12:57 AM
As an I1 myself, according to 23andMe, I must say I'm content with that designation. I get more and more content with it when I see the prices FTDNA have for expounding on the paternal haplogroups.

That's a good point right there.

Weedman
05-13-2015, 01:33 AM

there's nothing plain about you

you're one of the most beautiful and lovable women there is