PDA

View Full Version : INDIA: Where rape is legal in marriage

Marusya
05-12-2015, 05:00 AM
INDIA

Where rape is legal in marriage

http://www.hindustantimes.com/analysis/marital-rape-govt-shouldn-t-turn-blind-eye-to-the-disturbing-reality/article1-1342664.aspx (full editiorial)

Editorial-Hindustan Times

When will India take women’s safety seriously? asked the Hindustan Times. The home minister just told the legislature there is no chance of amending rape laws to include marital rape. Parathibhai Chaudhary said the concept doesn’t apply in India because marriage is “considered a sacred bond here.” Such a “sanctimonious attitude” is worthy of “the fringe elements” of religious extremists, not a cabinet member. Marriage in India isn’t like marriage in other countries, it’s true—not because it is more pious, but rather because it is more unequal. Millions of girls here are married “at a very young age” to a man they barely know, on whom they will be entirely dependent economically. Studies show that the vast majority of wives have been raped by their husbands, yet “an insidious culture of silence” prevents them from acknowledging the abuse. Since the notorious 2012 gang-rape case, India has made some strides in prosecuting rapes by strangers. But the more than 80 percent of Indian women ages 15 to 49 who are married are in greater danger of being abused by their spouses. Rather than reinforcing outdated notions of a wife’s body being the property of her husband, the government “should be seriously exploring how to criminalize marital rape.”

Mortimer
05-12-2015, 05:02 AM
sounds something a feminist wrote, on other occassions you support traditional gender roles for europeans, but here you try to present indian as savages, same double standard that you apply for gays, which you dont like but when the ugandan president says gays are unnatural you call him a filthy savage "nigger" or that you are against abortion but support abortion for your daughter if she came home with a mixed race child.

Marusya
05-12-2015, 05:07 AM
I didn't say anything. Just looking for general opinions. I haven't stated my own, yet. ;)

Mortimer
05-12-2015, 05:09 AM
I didn't say anything. Just looking for general opinions. I haven't stated my own, yet. ;)

ok. sorry if i offended you. but stormfront for example writes how racist others are in other parts of the world when they are very racist themselfes, thats what i dont like about their double standards. many white nationalist guys wrote threads like women should be raped in the butt to secure dominance etc. i saw it. that being said, i support feminism in india, women need to be safe and have more rights.

Marusya
05-12-2015, 05:19 AM
ok. sorry if i offended you. but stormfront for example writes how racist others are in other parts of the world when they are very racist themselfes, thats what i dont like about their double standards. many white nationalist guys wrote threads like women should be raped in the butt to secure dominance etc. i saw it. that being said, i support feminism in india, women need to be safe and have more rights.

I, too, agree ALL women should be safe from physical harm. Raping women doesn't create a better society. Pissing people off usually doesn't get a person what he/she wants in the end, either. Who gets married to get their eye put out? Domestic violence weakens marriage and family. But, can and should the government legislate the laws of marriage and family, or should they be left solely to religious institutions?

zhaoyun
05-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Good point. Most White Nationalists are fucking hypocrites, that's why I usually don't bother reading their bullshit.

Marusya
05-12-2015, 05:41 AM
Comments by Indian men:

Girija Shankar 10 days ago
I am a married Indian male. My request to the Govt, media and feminists - Dont let laws be created by making and listening to one-sided propaganda. Don't try to make a slave out of me. Don't try to punish me for marrying. Don't bring in laws by which any woman can lock me up inside jail at her whims and fancy or in case of any disagreements and tear down my reputation by tagging me as a rapist. Don't try to achieve women empowerment at the cost of my safety and dignity. Please keep law and litigation away from my bed room and little family. Most Indian husbands including me don't force themselves on their wives as some people are claiming. Dont spoil my valuable years in courts and Police station just to prove myself innocent. Please let me live peacefully.

P.S.Radhakrishnan • 11 days ago
In India marriage is a sacred matter and not like in the West or the US. Further one may have to look into the pre historic era to know the relationship between man and woman. They had to play separate roles very distinctive from each other. Although civilisation and convenience have brought into changes, certain basic and fundamental issues could remain for ever especially in a country like India. That may be the reason the law relating to gay relationship was also decided negatively keeping in mind the indian culture. In India the courts can even intervene to ensure conjugal rights, under the clause 'Restitution Of Conjugal Rights" For the Hindus the protection comes from the Hindu Marriage Act and for others under the Special Marriage Act . The issue is also dealt with in some other Acts as well. Conjugal rights , for both , form an important link in marriage and form the foundation for any long lasting relationship. Under the circumstances , in India, the rights cannot be interpreted as violence etc , which can pose innumerable difficulties in a relationship. For every thing the time and consent factors are very important and therefore,when, where, how etc can better be decided by the parties concerned as is happening in every body's day to day life. Allowing a third party to interpret on the matter may not be good in India.

Kazimiera
05-23-2015, 12:43 AM
In apartheid South Africa it was legal too. There was no law against it until 1994 which meant it theoretically did not exist. Of course it happened but women could not appeal for help because according to the law there was no such thing as rape in marriage. A man had the right to do with his wife as he pleased, and if that meant being forced to have intercourse or assaulting her then so be it.

Arbeiter
05-23-2015, 02:40 AM
ok. sorry if i offended you. but stormfront for example writes how racist others are in other parts of the world when they are very racist themselfes, thats what i dont like about their double standards. many white nationalist guys wrote threads like women should be raped in the butt to secure dominance etc. i saw it. that being said,i support feminism in india, women need to be safe and have more rights.

I agree about what you said regarding White Nationalists (i.e. Stormfront), but feminism should be supported in a global scale, not only regarding Indian women. Western women and men also suffer from the so called "male chauvinism".

When I say feminism, I mean the one understood as equality between genders, not "radical feminism".

Sockorer
05-23-2015, 02:54 AM
Legal rape is an oxymoron.

The word rape implies illegality.

As far as 'legal rape in marriage' goes, I feel indifferent.

Mortimer
05-23-2015, 03:28 AM
I agree about what you said regarding White Nationalists (i.e. Stormfront), but feminism should be supported in a global scale, not only regarding Indian women. Western women and men also suffer from the so called "male chauvinism".

When I say feminism, I mean the one understood as equality between genders, not "radical feminism".

i agree

Also
05-23-2015, 03:37 AM
There is no such thing as 'marital rape', if you are a married man your wife owns you sex, you are just taking what is yours, if she doesn't like it she shouldn't have gotten married.

At most what happened is that you are using an exaggerated amount of force to make your wife have sex with you, thus being guilty of physical abuse, but not rape.

robar
05-23-2015, 05:21 AM

Feminism has nothing to do with equality.
In india adultery is a crime that only men can commit 5 years prison sentence , also divorces filled by men can be rejected by the wife and the other way arround it the husband cannot, also a men had to take care of his wife financially no matter the circumstances like he has to beg steal, etc, so when we talk about the so called equality it should work both ways.

Arbeiter
05-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Feminism has nothing to do with equality.
In india adultery is a crime that only men can commit 5 years prison sentence , also divorces filled by men can be rejected by the wife and the other way arround it the husband cannot, also a men had to take care of his wife financially no matter the circumstances like he has to beg steal, etc, so when we talk about the so called equality it should work both ways.

Radical feminism is the one who doesn't have anything to do with equality, but that's not proper feminism.

Every feminist will agree that it should work both ways.