PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Great Powers

zhaoyun
05-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Ok so I made a list of top 10 great powers. I think what may be more interesting would be creating a list of top 20 Great Powers, because that widens the pool to another set of countries and opens up a lot of room for debate.

Here is my list:

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Japan
5. India
6. Germany
7. Brazil
8. UK
9. France
10. South Korea

11. Italy
12. Turkey
13. Iran
14. Saudi Arabia
15. Pakistan
16. Australia
17. Israel
18. Canada
19. Spain
20. Mexico

Some countries worth noting that are competitors for the top 20 spot are Indonesia, South Africa, Egypt, Argentina, Venezuela

zhaoyun
05-13-2015, 01:04 AM
BUMP

Cristiano viejo
05-13-2015, 01:10 AM
I doubt South Korea, Pakistan, Iran, Israel are most powerful than Spain.

zhaoyun
05-13-2015, 01:14 AM
I doubt South Korea, Pakistan, Iran, Israel are most powerful than Spain.

South Korea and Spain have roughly the same GDP, but South Korea is a stronger player in a wider number of industries. Spain's economy is currently quite weak.

Pakistan and Israel are nuclear armed countries. Pakistan is a country with a huge population as well. Israel exerts a tremendous influence far above it's size in it's region and also in global politics.

Iran is a major regional power in it's region.

That's why I've placed those countries above Spain.

Pennywise
05-13-2015, 02:03 AM
Brazil in 7th? even above of UK? and I don't think Mexico can enter to that list.

zhaoyun
05-13-2015, 05:03 AM
BUMP

XenophobicPrussian
05-13-2015, 05:25 AM
Today? Realistically Japan/Germany can't really be on there because of military restrictions from WW2. If we go on potential, sure.

Also, how can Australia be above Canada? I'm not even a proud Canadian, just saying.

I'd go with

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China(really hard trying to pick from Russia/China, ultimately I have to go with Russia's larger mobilization of troops pool and better technology, China will likely surpass them soon though. China has more overall GDP, Russia has twice the GDP per capita, China is more relevant on the world wide stage, especially in Africa, but I just went with the country who would win a war against eachother)
4. Germany(pretty much tied with Japan, went with the choice that has less debt)
5. Japan
6. UK
7. France
8. Canada
9. India
10. Brazil
11. Italy
12. South Korea
13. Australia
14. Spain
15. Turkey
16. Israel
17. Mexico
18. Saudi Arabia
19. Pakistan
20. Iran

Indonesia, Egypt the Netherlands, Poland or South Africa could be 20 as well.

Sandman
05-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Poland should be in the top 20.

Cristiano viejo
05-13-2015, 02:55 PM
South Korea and Spain have roughly the same GDP, but South Korea is a stronger player in a wider number of industries. Spain's economy is currently quite weak.
Weak compared with what? USA, UK, Germany or the own Spain from 10 years ago? yes of course, but the current Spanish economy is above of the 99% of the countries of the world, and lately according to data from the European Union, Spain is the country that most is growing economically, above than France or Germany.
I dont think that Spain and South Korea can be compared, in quality of life etc

Pakistan and Israel are nuclear armed countries. Pakistan is a country with a huge population as well. Israel exerts a tremendous influence far above it's size in it's region and also in global politics.

I dont think that the nuclear issue is something crucial to put these countries on that list.
All Spanish Governments since Francos death have been against nuclear energy. We have some nuclear power plants and are still in operation, but under pressure from environmental groups and blablabla Spain opposes to them and of course to become a nuclear arming. It is not a question about not being able to do it.

Agreed about the global Israeli influence but then we should think in Israel being the number 1 in your list and in any list.

Empecinado
05-13-2015, 03:36 PM

I'd not say Spanish economy is quite weak, at least when it comes to international companies.

-The Spanish company Pescanova is the largest fishery in Europe and one of the largest in the world.

-BBVA and Santander are among the biggest banks in the world.

-In renewable energy we are among the world powers especially wind and solar, and the Spanish companies are installing wind farms in China, USA, Indonesia ... and solar plants in US, Middle East, Mexico ...

-World absolute power when comes to leading companies in civil engineering, public works and construction of large infrastructures, only a handful of companies can compete globally with the Spanish ACS , Dragados, FCC, Sacyr, etc. Técnicas Reunidas is making the world's largest refinery in Saudi Arabia, and there are only 5 companies in the world able to do this, also Spanish companies are going to expand the Panama channel, one of the biggest civil enginering works.

-We are among the few countries in the world with a naval industry capable of building aircraft carriers.

-We have an important aerospace sector with a technological first level class in composite materials and even in avionics.

-Rail technology with Talgo, CAF and other smaller auxiliaires.

-Also distribution of fashion and accessories (Inditex, for example ZARA).

Cristiano viejo
05-13-2015, 04:39 PM
-Also distribution of fashion and accessories (Inditex, for example ZARA).

Industria de Diseño Textil, S.A. (Inditex) (/ˌɪndɪˈtɛks/, Spanish: [indiˈteks]; Textile Design Industries) is a Spanish multinational clothing company headquartered in Arteixo, Galicia. It is made up of almost a hundred companies dealing in activities related to textile design, production and distribution. Amancio Ortega, Spain's richest man, and the world's fourth richest man, is the founder and current largest shareholder. The current chairman of Inditex is Pablo Isla.

Inditex, the biggest fashion group in the world, operates over 6,600 stores worldwide[2] and owns brands like Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Oysho, Pull and Bear, Stradivarius, Zara, Tempe, and Uterqüe, and also a low-cost brand Lefties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inditex

zhaoyun
06-23-2015, 04:52 AM
bump

Infinite
06-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Poland should be in the top 20.

:laugh2:

glass
06-23-2015, 05:42 AM
Why Germany above UK? Brits have some fighting experience in last years at least.
Unlike China India has quite up to date imported equipment while China mostly rely on self produced copies of old soviet craft. Eventhough indians are well known for their unability to properly use compliceted equips, India would surely has some advantage in short convenient war.
Russia has army only of 500-550k men, at least half of this number are useless in real warfare conscipts. Overall Russia can deploy only 50-70 thousands soldiers on battlefield, other personnel do not really fit modern standards.

:laugh2:
Well polish horsemen were quite formidable force
400 years ago:D

Brianna
06-23-2015, 06:09 AM
This is in alphabetical order.

Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
France
Germany
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Mexico
New Zealand
Pakistan
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Spain
Turkey
UK
USA

I would have included South Africa if it still would have been a nuclear power. Special mention to Iran, Poland, Sweden, and Taiwan.

Breedingvariety
06-23-2015, 06:26 AM
convenient war
Conventional, lol. Or is it convenient for the international Jew, lol.

Breedingvariety
06-23-2015, 06:30 AM
This is in alphabetical order.
I can't thumb you up because I'm a fan of ranking lists.

Brianna
06-23-2015, 06:51 AM
I can't thumb you up because I'm a fan of ranking lists.

You should check out a web site named Ranker. You would be in list heaven. There are many different categories too. Be careful if you join. You might become addicted. :p

Breedingvariety
06-23-2015, 07:34 AM
1. USA (no brainer)

2. Russia (advanced military, abundance of natural resources, mad fighters)

3. China (increasingly growing industry, huge population)

4. Germany (top notch industry, very organized and nationalistic population)

5. Japan (highly industrialized, nationalistic population)

6. UK (top notch military, most patriotic and brainwashed population)

7. France (great nation syndrome, good military)

8. Brazil (abundance of natural resources and huge population)

9. India (huge population)

10. Italy (good industry)

11. Canada (abundance of natural resources, good industry)

12. Australia (abundance of natural resources, good industry)

13. Spain

14. Poland

15. Netherlands

16. Sweden

17. South Korea

18. Turkey

19. Mexico

20. Argentina

XenophobicPrussian
06-23-2015, 10:47 AM
1. USA (no brainer)

2. Russia (advanced military, abundance of natural resources, mad fighters)

3. China (increasingly growing industry, huge population)

4. Germany (top notch industry, very organized and nationalistic population)

5. Japan (highly industrialized, nationalistic population)

6. UK (top notch military, most patriotic and brainwashed population)

7. France (great nation syndrome, good military)

8. Brazil (abundance of natural resources and huge population)

9. India (huge population)

10. Italy (good industry)

11. Canada (abundance of natural resources, good industry)

12. Australia (abundance of natural resources, good industry)

13. Spain

14. Poland

15. Netherlands

16. Sweden

17. South Korea

18. Turkey

19. Mexico

20. Argentina
Did you just say Germans are nationalistic? xD You may be overrating Argentina a bit too and I don't see how Poland/Netherlands/Sweden are above South Korea, but nice list anyway.

XenophobicPrussian
06-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Why Germany above UK? Brits have some fighting experience in last years at least.
Unlike China India has quite up to date imported equipment while China mostly rely on self produced copies of old soviet craft. Eventhough indians are well known for their unability to properly use compliceted equips, India would surely has some advantage in short convenient war.
Russia has army only of 500-550k men, at least half of this number are useless in real warfare conscipts. Overall Russia can deploy only 50-70 thousands soldiers on battlefield, other personnel do not really fit modern standards.

Well polish horsemen were quite formidable force
400 years ago:D
China already destroyed India in a war once in the 70s. A country with the same population but an IQ average of around 15 points lower can't beat China.

Breedingvariety
06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Did you just say Germans are nationalistic? xD
You can take German out of a Nazi, but you can't take Nazi out of a German. ;)

You may be overrating Argentina a bit too and I don't see how Poland/Netherlands/Sweden are above South Korea, but nice list anyway.
Europeans. 'Nuff said.

Lurker
06-26-2015, 03:41 PM
UK and France should follow USA/China/Russia. Being on the permanent council of the UN is a diplomatic bonus, plus nuclear weapons.

A good way to see who is and who is not a great power is to see who is invited to the great conferences regarding something. Like, Russia and the US were invited to the Berlin conference regarding dividing Africa even though they didn't want any African colonies. But they gave an opinion.

The same can be seem today in the issue of Iran's nuclear capabilities. The group that decides that is P5+1 (five security council members plus Germany). When the issue is North Korea, the group is Russia, China, Japan and the USA.

So my ranking (I'd include Nobel laureates in hard sciences as a measure of prestige and how scientifically good the country is) would be

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. United Kingdom
5. France
6. India
7. Japan
8. Germany
9. Italy
10. Brazil
11. South Korea
12. Canada
13. Turkey
14. Israel
15. Spain
16. Saudi Arabia
17. Iran
18. Mexico
19. Taiwan
20. Australia

Odin
02-24-2018, 12:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZduWBSKkXs

Egyptian
02-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Egypt #9
well to be honest the army has massive weapons nowadays but I don't think we should be no.9

Teutone
02-24-2018, 01:36 PM

What a joke video hahaha