PDA

View Full Version : Syrian rebels use Nazi weapons in battle for Idlib

European Knight
05-22-2015, 10:09 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11622551/Syrian-rebels-use-Nazi-weapons-in-battle-for-Idlib.html

Experts say howitzers likely looted from government stores as forces try to overcome weapon shortages

Syrian rebel forces are using Nazi-era artillery weapons, most likely looted from the stocks of President Bashar al-Assad’s army.

In a video posted online this week, fighters from the armed opposition group Ahrar al-Sham can be seen loading a dusty howitzer during an attack on Ariha, one of the last government strongholds in the northern province of Idlib.

It appeared to be the 10.5 cm (4.1in) leFH 18 model favoured by the German army during the Second World War. The weapon can fire 32lb artillery shells a distance of just under seven miles.

Nic Jenzen-Jones, the director of arms and munitions technical consultancy Armament Research Services, said: “The Syrian Army was known to operate limited numbers... It is likely that the howitzer shown was captured from a Syrian Army base or museum.

"In times of internal civil conflict, it is not uncommon to document legacy arms and munitions in the hands of combatants, especially combatants with limited access to more modern systems."

In 2012, rebel forces in Aleppo captured a cache of 5,000 StG 44s, a Nazi weapon considered to be the first modern assault rifle.

How the assault rifles fell into Syrian hands in the first place is more of a mystery. Mr Jenzen-Jones suggested they could have been donated to the Syrian army after being captured by Soviet troops on the Eastern Front during the Second World War, or perhaps handed over later by East Germany itself.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03313/472369704_3313974b.jpg

Prisoner Of Ice
05-22-2015, 10:16 AM
In 2012, rebel forces in Aleppo captured a cache of 5,000 StG 44s, a Nazi weapon considered to be the first modern assault rifle.
[/IMG]

Holy crap am I ever jealous. If only I could get one of these and an mg 42 holy fucking shit man.

Grenzland
05-22-2015, 10:51 AM
German weapons... :D

glicine max
05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Who knows if those rebels sell some old Panzerfaust

Thunder_shock
05-22-2015, 04:03 PM
I'd love to try out the STG

Böri
05-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Today rebels took Ariha, the last regime-controlled city in Idlib province. The Syrian army removed. They seem to collapse these last weeks.

http://eaworldview.com/2015/05/syria-developing-rebels-capture-ariha-one-of-last-assad-positions-in-idlib-province/

Story Highlights
- Rebels move into town in northwest Syria within hours of start of offensive
- Victory opens up possible advances into Aleppo and Hama Provinces
- Syrian Army withdraws quickly from supposedly-vital position

Graham
05-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Both the Syrian & Iraqi governments should forget about the Sunni areas, it's a waste of man power now.

Let the Kurds set up their own state in the North too.