PDA

View Full Version : "Predators" review

Eldritch
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2010/07/09/1278718930-predator.jpg

http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2010/07/09/1278717485-constantpenis.jpg

Dreadlocks, Beasties, and Adequate Thrills

Who would have thought that Adrien Brody would be a perfect replacement for Arnold Schwarzenegger?

If we're being realistic—well, as realistic as we can get when we're talking about a sci-fi action movie franchise about dreadlocked vulva-faced creatures who fight the universe's toughest badasses in order to figure out how to be more badass than badass—you have to admit that a mercenary is more likely to look like Brody (thin but sculpted, nose pre-broken and tweaked to the right) than the bloated, weight-lifting vanity of an '80s-era Arnold. Predators pivots on Brody—it opens on his face as he falls, unconscious, thousands of feet through the sky—and he easily carries the movie on his scrawny shoulders, moving with Bruce Willis's physical confidence and talking with a proto-Eastwood growl.

Predators is essentially one long fight sequence—a bunch of earthlings are dropped in the middle of a jungle and forced to battle the titular monsters—and it's admirable for what it doesn't do. It doesn't explain too much. It doesn't try to make sense out of the Predator mythology (a new breed of Predator and an ancillary beastie are added to the mix, but they are blessedly free of backstory). It doesn't get too clever or caught up in vertiginous "realistic" shaky-cam shots. It just provides a formulaic B-movie creature feature for you to enjoy in air-conditioned splendor, and it delivers the thrills at an even pace.

Alice Braga continues to hone her sci-fi movie chops—she was one of the only good things about this spring's unremarkable Repo Men—as the token tough female, but she and Brody lead an uneven cast. Topher Grace is predictable as the "normal guy" character, and Laurence Fishburne's scenery-devouring turn really should have been played by an out-of-shape Schwarzenegger. But it would be ludicrous to hold bad supporting actors against a Predator movie; the only people who will find fault with Predators are '80s sci-fi film nostalgia purists who place the original film on an unrealistic pedestal. Everyone else should check their expectations at the door and come away entertained.

Link. (http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/predators-dreadlocks-beasties-and-adequate-thrills/Content?oid=4419432)

And the director has a cool name: Nimród Antal. :thumbs up

RoyBatty
07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
It'd be good to be pleasantly surprised but I'm usually a pessimist when it comes to these kinds of things :)

Agrippa
07-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Liked the original at least, so let's look forward to it. I actually like stories which make sense and explain things, yet the problem is that most can't do that on a higher logical level and become ridiculous, so if the writers are not good enough or don't want to disappoint at least parts of the audience with a specific story, they better avoid it and create a vacuum for the fantasy which is however less interesting to me at times...

Cato
07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Good movie!

Eldritch
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Good movie!

You've seen it?

How does it compare with the original?

Cato
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
You've seen it?

How does it compare with the original?

I took myself to see it last night and it was a lot like the original, at least in terms of atmosphere and setting. There were several inspirations from the first movie (a trooper with a minigun, use of the score from the first movie, etc.).

Cato
07-14-2010, 01:42 AM
I've seen this movie twice now. :D

Contra Mundum
06-03-2012, 06:15 AM
The movie has been running on Cinemax often. Was better than I expected. Certainly better than Predator 2.

Xenomorph
06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
The movie has been running on Cinemax often. Was better than I expected. Certainly better than Predator 2.

Really? I thought Predator 2 was quite good.

Contra Mundum
06-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Really? I thought Predator 2 was quite good.

I hated it. Didn't care for the Predator vs Alien series either. Predators was the best one since the original.