PDA

View Full Version : Egypt is Middle East or North Africa for you ?

Anonymous211
05-25-2015, 08:19 PM
So Egypt is Middle East or North Africa for you ?

lionheart
05-25-2015, 08:19 PM
middle east!

Kamal900
05-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Both, though most Egyptians tend to identify themselves to the middle east than to Africa.

Smeagol
05-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Both technically, but Egypt has a separate identity from the rest of Africa and has been always more connected with the Near Eastern Civilizations since the dawn of history.

Kamal900
05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Both technically, but Egypt has a separate identity from the rest of Africa and has been always more connected with the Near Eastern Civilizations since the dawn of history.

Yes, especially to the Levant and Mesopotamia(Sumerians and etc).

Gaston
05-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Those are arbitrary terms. Just by geography, Egypt is on the African tectonic plate.

Modern Egyptian culture is different from both Near Easterns cultures and Maghreb culture, so Egypt to me is just what it is: Egypt.

spanish catalan
09-18-2015, 04:15 AM
North Africa

wvwvw
09-18-2015, 04:37 AM
North Africa. I have never understood why Egypt is associated with the Middle East, and Morrocco, Tunisia etc are not.

Merida
09-18-2015, 04:37 AM
I think of them as being primarily Eastern Mediterranean, together with Assyrians and Babylonians. They have a very distinct culture, though.

sql
09-18-2015, 04:38 AM
Both. Although when most people think North Africa, they think al-Maghrib.

Lawalye
09-18-2015, 04:43 AM
Those are arbitrary terms. Just by geography, Egypt is on the African tectonic plate.

:picard1:

1/4 of Italy is on the african tectonic plate as well as west balkans's coast and it's not on african continent.

continent =/= tectonic plate.

Lawalye
09-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Egypt is a transitional area between the rest of northern Africa, Middle-east and the Sahel.

Gaston
09-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Egypt is its own [shitty] arabo-islamic and degenerate entity that only has some close cultural affinity with Northern Sudan. Egypt is central only because it's the most populated country by far (over 80 millions) and because it was the Hollywood of the Arab world.

1/4 of Italy is on the african tectonic plate as well as west balkans's coast and it's not on african continent.

You're highly exaggerating. Only Sicily is partially on the African plate. Israel is on it too.

"Continent" is not science (unlike tectonic plates from geology), so it is arbitrary.

Both. Although when most people think North Africa, they think al-Maghrib.

Nobody knows the term Maghreb and its entity in the anglo world.

Imamudin
09-18-2015, 11:46 AM
North Africa. I have never understood why Egypt is associated with the Middle East, and Morrocco, Tunisia etc are not.

Because Morocco is more in the west while Egypt is close to Levant and Saudi Arabia? You are truly the dumbest member in this forum.

Egypt is both Middle East and North Africa, but would be more North Africa.

Barsad
09-18-2015, 11:56 AM
North African, it's basic logic.

Hashoeva
09-18-2015, 12:03 PM
North-Africa.

Profileid
09-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Here's a map of Africa
http://www.volunteer4africa.org/images/africamap.gif

Gaston
09-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Here's a map of Africa
http://www.volunteer4africa.org/images/africamap.gif

Here is a map of Asia:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/political-map-asia-13233312.jpg

StonyArabia
09-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Egypt shares it's culture more so with the Middle East, it has historically been tied heavily with the Levant region more so than with North Africa/Magherabi nations of Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, despite being located in very close proximity and in the same geographical area.

Diocletian
09-19-2015, 07:15 AM

What's a continent Mr. Genius? Could you enlighten us on this matter?

Diocletian
09-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Here is a map of Asia:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/political-map-asia-13233312.jpg

Are you even aware how stupid it is to artificially divide Russia in two by the Urals to feel comfortable saying Europe is separate from what's considered to be Asia?

Ctwentysevenj
09-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Geographically most of the country is located in North Africa, except for the Sinai penusular which is located in Asia, yes Asia or the Middle East.

Gaston
09-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Are you even aware how stupid it is to artificially divide Russia in two by the Urals to feel comfortable saying Europe is separate from what's considered to be Asia?

You didn't read my comments apparently.

Guanimaa
09-19-2015, 05:43 PM
It seems a lot of people want to show Egypt as either Caucasian or Negroid when it was muti-racial. As well as caucasiod and negroid leaning. Saying someone is Afrocentric, etc won't change that.

Diocletian
09-19-2015, 06:03 PM
You didn't read my comments apparently.

Yes, I didn't. But I have after I saw this post of yours. Apologies.

Gaston
09-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes, I didn't. But I have after I saw this post of yours. Apologies.

No problem, we agree that "continents" are arbitrary choices made by Western/European powers in the last centuries and that Africa, Asia and Europe are meaningless when it comes to populations and cultures.

Silk
05-31-2017, 12:54 AM
North Africa.

Ziveth
07-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Both, it is in the African continent so it's a north African country, but culturally is similar to Middle East.

Egyptian
07-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Both, it is in the African continent so it's a north African country, but culturally is similar to Middle East.

To be honest , we aren't culturally similar to middle east .. i mean the traditions in Gulf countries is not the same as in Egypt , probably the only people in Middle east close to us are palestinians (especially gaza's people) others are different in culture.

don't know how to explain it , yes we all muslims but different traditions (in house or public relations) and so on.

the closest country to us would be sudan (not located in Middle east) .. we share with sudanese same values nearly 100%

Ziveth
07-08-2017, 11:18 PM
To be honest , we aren't culturally similar to middle east .. i mean the traditions in Gulf countries is not the same as in Egypt , probably the only people in Middle east close to us are palestinians (especially gaza's people) others are different in culture.

don't know how to explain it , yes we all muslims but different traditions (in house or public relations) and so on.

the closest country to us would be sudan (not located in Middle east) .. we share with sudanese same values nearly 100%

I thought was similar culture because both Middle East and Egypt have Islam religion, and because being near each other is easy to be influenced. Maybe except for religion, which is the same, i'm wrong.

Puritan Benedict
07-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Transcontinental, but i will go with Middle East.

Egyptian
07-08-2017, 11:29 PM
I thought was similar culture because both Middle East and Egypt have Islam religion, and because being near each other is easy to be influenced. Maybe except for religion, which is the same, i'm wrong.

Egyptian traditions is like a mix of many traditions due to the foreign presence here , you gonna find Egyptian traditions mixed with arabic mixed with persian ,turk , greek , italian and so on.

the clothes used in middle east is not the same as Egypt (i mean the traditional suit ) ..arabs in middle east wear like that (including jordan and palestine but different in the color)
http://www.sayidy.net/sites/default/files/styles/660xauto/public/main/articles/13734137902.jpg?itok=8m9M5NxC

while Egyptians (in upper egypt) wear like that

http://files.elnashra.com/elnashrafan/pictures/1337702318_DSC_0207.JPG

before 50s , Egyptians in cities used to wear like that (close to turks clothes)

http://www.archivegypt.com/wp-content/uploads/ali_maher21.jpg

many differences to be honest.

Ziveth
07-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Egyptian traditions is like a mix of many traditions due to the foreign presence here , you gonna find Egyptian traditions mixed with arabic mixed with persian ,turk , greek , italian and so on.

the clothes used in middle east is not the same as Egypt (i mean the traditional suit ) ..arabs in middle east wear like that (including jordan and palestine but different in the color)
http://www.sayidy.net/sites/default/files/styles/660xauto/public/main/articles/13734137902.jpg?itok=8m9M5NxC

while Egyptians (in upper egypt) wear like that

http://files.elnashra.com/elnashrafan/pictures/1337702318_DSC_0207.JPG

before 50s , Egyptians in cities used to wear like that (close to turks clothes)

http://www.archivegypt.com/wp-content/uploads/ali_maher21.jpg

many differences to be honest.

Ok, i understand. Nice traditional clothes. :) I like traditional clothes of different cultures.

Sekarotuinen
07-09-2017, 12:26 AM
I consider them Levantine

Dragoon
07-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Its both.

Carlito's Way
07-10-2017, 11:21 PM
North Africa, so many niggas failed geography

Svipdag
07-11-2017, 03:05 AM
As I see it, Egypt is geographically North African and culturally Middle Eastern.

Odin
01-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Middle East.

Kamal900
01-29-2018, 11:38 AM
It's middle eastern country, but geographically speaking, it's a Afroasian country since it's located in both Africa and Asia(sinai).

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
01-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Both but I tend to associate every single North African nation with the Middle East as well, not geographically but culturally.

Zroota
01-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Geographically, North Africa.

Culturally, Greater Middle East.

MysteriousWays
01-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Geographically, North Africa.

Culturally, Greater Middle East.

+1

Bosniensis
01-29-2018, 12:32 PM
They are culturally Egyptians.. "Middle East"

That's like saying... Europeans are culturally Middle Eastern cause they are Judeo - Christians.

Journeyman26
01-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Former Ayyubid and successors? Middle East

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/althistory/images/d/dd/AyyubidGreatest.png/revision/latest?cb=20130810133904

Bosniensis
01-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Former Ayyubid and successors? Middle East

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/althistory/images/d/dd/AyyubidGreatest.png/revision/latest?cb=20130810133904

Greece, Anatolia are also Middle East than.

Christian religion is middle eastern religion.

Also claiming that people of Alexandria are living in Middle East is lunacy beyond belief.

https://i.imgur.com/MyjlQLa.png

Hadouken
01-29-2018, 09:38 PM
MENA is the correct term !

StonyArabia
01-30-2018, 01:34 AM
Egypt's culture is more Middle Eastern than North African. They have more similar traditions and values to the Levant, since ancient times than they do with their North African brothers. They are significant differences between Libyan and Egyptian culture, never mind Algerian or Moroccan culture.

paprika
01-30-2018, 02:04 AM

yes but the ancient egyptians are culturally not the same as modern egyptians who are culturally arab, and are related to both their middle eastern and north african relatives. it's like the difference between native americans and modern latino americans

JohnSmith
01-30-2018, 02:37 AM
It is I believe the largest Arab country in the world. It is Middle Eastern.

Salem523
01-30-2018, 03:16 AM
As I see it, Egypt is geographically North African and culturally Middle Eastern.

+1

Egyptian
01-30-2018, 10:34 AM
yes but the ancient egyptians are culturally not the same as modern egyptians who are culturally arab, and are related to both their middle eastern and north african relatives. it's like the difference between native americans and modern latino americans

:lol:

Bosniensis
01-30-2018, 10:53 AM
People who call Egyptians Arabs are illiterate.

Arabs have their tribes and they live 90% in Arabia.

People are one thing, Culture is another thing.

Cristiano viejo
01-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Middle East and North Africa is the same for the most part of the Europeans.

Egyptian
01-30-2018, 11:32 AM
I like how people who never been to Egypt giving their opinions about that country :lol:

Sikeliot
01-30-2018, 11:40 AM
I consider Egypt to be part of both, but North Africa is ethnoculturally very similar to parts of the Middle East to begin with.

Jana
01-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Egypt is heart of middle east.

Kriptc06
01-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Geographically North Africa, but it is also part of the Greater Middle East, and it's justifiable 'cause of the Sinai pen.

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/newmiddleeastnew.jpg

paprika
01-30-2018, 01:52 PM

do you speak the ancient egyptian language, or it's descendant languages demotic or coptic? do you worship the ancient egyptian pantheon with gods like osiris and horus? (polytheism the worst crime in your faith) perhaps coptic christians can claim to be descended from the original egyptians but they are a small minority. there's a whole story from your koran about how unjust and illegitimate the pharaoh was.

i mean maybe it is overgeneralizing to lump all of the middle east and north africa into one "arab" entity but still as an outsider that is the reasonably accurate way for us to see it at a first glance. except by genetics you have absolutely no relation to egyptians of classical antiquity that's for sure, if you can prove otherwise please go ahead

paprika
01-30-2018, 01:53 PM
double post

Egyptian
01-30-2018, 02:14 PM
do you speak the ancient egyptian language, or it's descendants demotic or coptic? do you worship the ancient egyptian pantheon with gods like osiris and horus? (polytheism the worst crime in your faith) perhaps coptic christians can claim to be descended from the original egyptians but they are a small minority. there's a whole story from your koran about how unjust and illegitimate the pharaoh was.

i mean maybe it is overgeneralizing to lump all of the middle east and north africa into one "arab" entity but still as an outsider that is the reasonably accurate way for us to see it. except by genetics you have absolutely no relation to egyptians of classical antiquity that's for sure, if you can prove otherwise please go ahead

:D

First of all, Yeah I do speak our ancient language and actually the current Egyptian accent still hold many of the old Egyptian words like Nkh-Embo and so on.

Secondly, what is coptic in your perspective so i can answer you

Thirdly, no I don't worship stones and neither did most of our ancient ancestors, some pagans in the old times doesn't mean we were all pagans.

and i'm really surprised what's wrong with some fools in us or europe worshiping our myths , some worship ISIS and some Osiris and some Anubis :lol:

Quran only mentioned Pharaoh as the corrupt one to the people of Israel, Quran didn't say Egyptians are bad.. if you know stories of Islam you will know that Prophet Muhamed married an Egyptian woman, also prophet Ibrahim married an Egyptian woman and so on.

StonyArabia
01-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Egypt is heart of middle east.

Iraq is it's brain, though after 2003, the idiots and foreigners took power in that country sadly.

Myanthropologies
01-30-2018, 04:37 PM
It's funny how people think it makes sense to lump Egypt and Algeria in the same category with Iran, but lump Afghanistan in a category with the Sri Lankans and Burmese.

KMack
01-30-2018, 05:04 PM
I think of N. Africa first.

paprika
01-30-2018, 05:36 PM
:D

First of all, Yeah I do speak our ancient language and actually the current Egyptian accent still hold many of the old Egyptian words like Nkh-Embo and so on.

Secondly, what is coptic in your perspective so i can answer you

Thirdly, no I don't worship stones and neither did most of our ancient ancestors, some pagans in the old times doesn't mean we were all pagans.

and i'm really surprised what's wrong with some fools in us or europe worshiping our myths , some worship ISIS and some Osiris and some Anubis :lol:

Quran only mentioned Pharaoh as the corrupt one to the people of Israel, Quran didn't say Egyptians are bad.. if you know stories of Islam you will know that Prophet Muhamed married an Egyptian woman, also prophet Ibrahim married an Egyptian woman and so on.

come on just because a few words were preserved that doesn't count as you speaking the same language as your ancient ancestors :tongue1:

by coptic i was referring to the coptic language which is a direct descendant of the ancient egyptian language, it gradually declined after the arab conquest and went extinct in the 17th century, i can assume pretty confidently you don't speak it.

also the coptic christian community are culturally closer to the original egyptians after they were christianized by the greco-romans, linguistically they no longer know their original language either, but it could be said that culturally they still have some connection. the rest of egyptians are the cultural descendants of the invaders from the caliphate.

yes obviously modern egyptians don't worship stones and various pagan deities which is good, they haven't done that for centuries, but in ancient times i'm sure the vast majority of them did, there is plenty of historical and geographical evidence for that which you can't deny.

and excuse me for getting the story incorrect from the koran, i'm not too familiar with it, if you have any more good examples of your argument then go ahead.

Egyptian
01-30-2018, 06:35 PM
come on just because a few words were preserved that doesn't count as you speaking the same language as your ancient ancestors :tongue1:

by coptic i was referring to the coptic language which is a direct descendant of the ancient egyptian language, it gradually declined after the arab conquest and went extinct in the 17th century, i can assume pretty confidently you don't speak it.

also the coptic christian community are culturally closer to the original egyptians after they were christianized by the greco-romans, linguistically they no longer know their original language either, but it could be said that culturally they still have some connection. the rest of egyptians are the cultural descendants of the invaders from the caliphate.

yes obviously modern egyptians don't worship stones and various pagan deities which is good, they haven't done that for centuries, but in ancient times i'm sure the vast majority of them did, there is plenty of historical and geographical evidence for that which you can't deny.

and excuse me for getting the story incorrect from the koran, i'm not too familiar with it, if you have any more good examples of your argument then go ahead.

Nah, we actually study the old Egyptian language in colleges, that's the course from Tourism college
http://thfac.mans.edu.eg/events-agenda/1915-the-egyptian-hieroglyphs-course-2

ahh, well the coptic language isn't the successor of the ancient language, it uses greek alphabets and it's used inside the orothdox churches (don't know about the evangelical or catholic churches).

paprika
01-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Nah, we actually study the old Egyptian language in colleges, that's the course from Tourism college

ahh, well the coptic language isn't the successor of the ancient language, it uses greek alphabets and it's used inside the orothdox churches (don't know about the evangelical or catholic churches).

yes it is, the coptic language is the direct descendant of the ancient language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_language

Coptic or Coptic Egyptian (Bohairic: ϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛ̀ⲭⲏⲙⲓ ti.met.rem.ən.khēmi and Sahidic: ⲧⲙⲛ̄ⲧⲣⲙ̄ⲛ̄ⲕⲏⲙⲉ t.mənt.rəm.ən.kēme) is the latest stage of the Egyptian language, a northern Afroasiatic language spoken in Egypt until at least the 17th century.[2] Egyptian began to be written in the Coptic alphabet, an adaptation of the Greek alphabet with the addition of six or seven signs from demotic to represent Egyptian sounds the Greek language did not have, in the first century AD.[3]

Coptic and Demotic are grammatically closely related to Late Egyptian, which was written with Egyptian hieroglyphs.

anyone from any country can study some ancient language in college, that doesn't prove you have any cultural relation to your ancient ancestors at all

paprika
01-31-2018, 06:53 PM

sanskrit courses at the university of chicago :rolleyes:
http://salc.uchicago.edu/sanskrit-at-chicago

Egyptian
02-05-2018, 06:42 PM
sanskrit courses at the university of chicago :rolleyes:
http://salc.uchicago.edu/sanskrit-at-chicago

is that satisfying for you? :lol:

https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/a0zf7nr56z9hq07k

Egyptian
02-05-2018, 06:45 PM
yes it is, the coptic language is the direct descendant of the ancient language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_language

l

:lol: ok

Marinus
02-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Geographically North Africa, Culturally and especially Politically it has a strong pull within the Arab world, or more so, it's very heavily influenced by the Arab & Muslim worlds.

Other than Ethiopia's upstream dams, itself a country possessing large Orthodox Christian and Muslim populations, and the Bir Tawil disputes with Sudan (overwhelmingly Sufi Muslim), Egypt has always been more active politically in the Levant and Mediterranean, at least since I can remember.

Nassbean
02-05-2020, 11:35 PM
It has always been more connected to the middle east

Kamal900
02-07-2020, 09:27 AM

Egypt had very close ties with the Middle East, and genetically speaking, both the ancient and modern Egyptians cluster the closest to Southern Levantines and Arabians than to Berbers as a whole.

Adamm
02-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Middle East.

sean
02-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Middle East.

Chocolate_Hound
05-16-2021, 03:46 AM
Culturally Middle Eastern, geographically North African. No Egyptian Arab identifies with the term "African" by any measure, but it's technically what they are from a literal standpoint.

MechtoidAfalouHG
05-16-2021, 04:41 AM
Egyptians are genetically more related to other North Africans than they are to Arabs so they are NA

XenophobicPrussian
05-16-2021, 05:36 AM
North Africa is in the Middle-East, geography is gay, there are more important factors.

Real North Africa is like Ethiopia/Sudan/Sahel/etc.

Chocolate_Hound
06-28-2021, 03:18 AM
By definition they are North African. "Middle Eastern" isn't a concrete region, they are certainly a political part of it but geographically ehhhhhh it depends

Rafael Passoni
06-28-2021, 03:23 AM
Middle east/ Levant IMO.

Andullero
06-28-2021, 03:25 AM
Middle East, from my experience interacting with them irl.

Petalpusher
06-28-2021, 05:04 AM
In between.

Dušan
06-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Geographically, Egypt is in African continent, except Sinai peninsula that is part of Asia.

Culturally, all these countries from Morrocco to Oman are MENA, so for someone European there is no significiant difference between these Muslim Arab speaking countries.

Corporate_Demolisher
08-28-2021, 03:13 AM
North Africa is in the Middle-East, geography is gay, there are more important factors.

Real North Africa is like Ethiopia/Sudan/Sahel/etc.

Middle East isn't "un-African" though. Maghreb is just as African as sub-Saharan Africa, it's a different kind of Africa but it's still Africa.