PDA

View Full Version : Different cultures of Apricity!

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Here is my impression of the best and worst of every culture on Apricity, as I see it. Feel free to add, but you must add a best and worst.

Greeks -
Best: Love to talk about their rich and colorful history! It seems that even the average Greek has a working knowledge of ancient + modern Greek history.
Worst: Tend to take things too personally. So used to defending themselves that they will take even a minor criticism or historical question as a personal attack.

Germans + Scandinavians-
Best: Bring there bright minds and analytical nature to add well reasoned arguments to many threads.
Worst: Can come off as condescending when angered, in a superiority complex sort of way.

Hungarian
All I have to go off is Stears.. and well.. I don't feel like going there.

Balkans (Albanians, Serbians, Bosnians, Bulgarians)
Best: Very active! Always willing to contribute to any topic and discussion with enthusiasm.
Worst: Turn to insults really quickly.. old feuds die hard.

British + Dutch (Behave similarly, I know they are different).
Best: For the most part respectful, active, and love to talk about european history. Some of my favorite posters from this group always with interesting threads (eg. Gooding)
Worst: Kind of like Germans.

French
Best: Same as British + Dutch.
Worst: Hmm not much to go on, haven't noticed that much. Sometimes a few posters insult Southern Euros to distance themselves from them.

Italians
Best: Love to talk Italy :) . Obviously love their country very much and want other people to love it too.
Worst: Super sensitive about being Southern Europeans. Popular target for trolls because of this. I personally wish South + North Italians would find a bit more common ground heh.

East Asians -
Best: Very respectful.. love to participate in discussions.
Worst: Honestly, all the ones of TA I have come across are very likeable.. nothing bad to say (eg. Zhaoyun).

North American (US, Can)
Best: Love to talk about European history, european culture, european everything really! Gives them a way to connect with their past.
Worst: Can be super militaristic and dogmatic about ethnicity and culture from their ancestral homelands (real or where theyd like them to be, usually UK and Germany). Some can get pretty dang insulting some times to other groups (eg. PrisonerofIce)

South American -
Best: Same as North American.
Worst: Can be super dogmatic about how they view South Europe

Spanish
Best: Like Italians, they love Spain and it shows :) .
Worst: Same as Greeks. Used to being targetted so super sensitive to it.

Turkish -
Best: Very active, love to talk Turkey. Beautiful country with beautiful people, and love to show off their history.
Worst: Home to the most active troll contingent on TA in my opinion.. targetting both euros and MENA alike.

Wadaad
Best: Keeps it
Worst: real

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 01:36 AM
buuuump

Cristiano viejo
05-28-2015, 01:40 AM
Multiculturalism has failed :p

Gooding
05-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Turks:
Best: Always have interesting threads about their culture and the history of their people ( Gultekin).
Worst: A few of them can be rude to those whose cultures were at one time subordinate to their Sultanate ( Greeks, Armenians), or to historical rivals ( Iranians).

Iranians:
Best: Their deep devotion and knowledge of their past and their love of their people.
Worst: Sometimes they can be quick to engage in a cyber battle with those they perceive as their enemies.

Chinese:
Best: Their knowledge of current and historical events in China and just about everywhere else.
Worst: When riled up, propensity to demolish all foes.

British ( and New Worlders of British descent :thumb001:)
Best: Their engaging threads and sense of attention to detail in their descriptions, their love for their people and history.
Worst: They can get really cold really fast when crossed.

Germans ( and New Worlders of German descent)
Best: Forthright honesty and detailed knowledge of their topics.
Worst: They can be very critical when they disagree with someone and express it bluntly.

Dutch ( and South African Boers):
Best: Attention to detail, thorough knowledge of what they're posting about.
Worst: Can be sarcastic and needling when crossed.

Italians ( and Italian New Worlders):
Best: They're warm and friendly people ( Journeyman26), they're quite detailed in their critical analyses ( Sikeliot).
Worst: Can fly into a passion when they feel their honor has been slighted.

Arabs ( and Arab New Worlders)
Best: Their posts are thorough and informative, generally warm and friendly people.
Worst: They can be relentless in exacting retribution when they feel their honor has been slighted.
Multiethnic European New Worlders:
Best: They are passionate about Europe and love their New World countries just as much.
Worst: They can be somewhat intolerant of those who disagree with them.
Spanish ( and Spanish New Worlders):
Best: They love their country and are friendly people.
Worst: They can be unforgiving to those they regard as their enemies.
Christians:
Best: They are friendly people who are willing to hear out the other side.
Worst: They do not react well to criticism and the subgroups of Catholic and Protestant can be cruel to each other at times.
Muslims:
Best: They are friendly people much more visibly involved with their faith than many Christians.
Worst: They can be defensive and quick to attack their enemies.
Jews:
Best: Tolerant and willing to hear out the other side.
Worst: Consciously Jewish, you hear more about their history than their theology ( I don't know.. I'd just like to hear more about their religious tenets).
Zoroastrians:
Best: Proud of their country and protective of their people.
Worst: They aren't too forthcoming about their beliefs either..
Atheists:
Best: They have a broad and detailed knowledge about their topics.
Worst: They can sometimes act a little patronizing ( I guess that's true of everybody, though).

Trogdor
05-28-2015, 02:14 AM
You know, I really wish that people discussed their cultural traditions on here more than the genetic and taxonomy stuff. I just find that more interesting is all.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 02:26 AM
You know, I really wish that people discussed their cultural traditions on here more than the genetic and taxonomy stuff. I just find that more interesting is all.

That seems an easy enough request! :) For me and my family, while family means a lot, personal independence is treasured. We rarely hold family reunions, but when we do, we talk about current things happening in the family while the older people tell their stories about where the family is from, what their grandfathers and grandmothers did and we eat. There is always plenty of food and a lot of photo- ops. The men and the women tend to socialize among themselves. Those of us who go to church every Sunday might talk about our churches and the sermons we'd heard, while the atheists would discuss current events and politics with each other. Of course old family albums are brought out and we look at pictures of our great- great grandparents and we'd talk a very little bit about being English ( in the sense that X ancestor came from Shrewsbury or Gloucester).. love of Virginia seems to be something we all share in common. The older folks would talk about their aunts and uncles, where they came from, what they did and how their families connected with ours. When my sister Keli and I were growing up, we'd go to Sunday School and Church every Sunday and hang out at Granny McDonald's house in Falls Church for the afternoon. She would always make sure we were fed and welcomed us without question. She'd talk about her mother whenever I'd ask her and she spoke of the Pecot family in Louisiana and growing up Catholic. Her father, who was from Kentucky, was apparently very rarely around, so Granny couldn't tell me much about him. When we were very small, we'd visit Granny Gooding's house in Oakton every Saturday. She was more interested in talking with the grownups.. us kids were to be seen and not heard. The Goodings were a little stricter than the McDonalds, very old values.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 02:36 AM
That seems an easy enough request! :) For me and my family, while family means a lot, personal independence is treasured. We rarely hold family reunions, but when we do, we talk about current things happening in the family while the older people tell their stories about where the family is from, what their grandfathers and grandmothers did and we eat. There is always plenty of food and a lot of photo- ops. The men and the women tend to socialize among themselves. Those of us who go to church every Sunday might talk about our churches and the sermons we'd heard, while the atheists would discuss current events and politics with each other. Of course old family albums are brought out and we look at pictures of our great- great grandparents and we'd talk a very little bit about being English ( in the sense that X ancestor came from Shrewsbury or Gloucester).. love of Virginia seems to be something we all share in common. The older folks would talk about their aunts and uncles, where they came from, what they did and how their families connected with ours. When my sister Keli and I were growing up, we'd go to Sunday School and Church every Sunday and hang out at Granny McDonald's house in Falls Church for the afternoon. She would always make sure we were fed and welcomed us without question. She'd talk about her mother whenever I'd ask her and she spoke of the Pecot family in Louisiana and growing up Catholic. Her father, who was from Kentucky, was apparently very rarely around, so Granny couldn't tell me much about him. When we were very small, we'd visit Granny Gooding's house in Oakton every Saturday. She was more interested in talking with the grownups.. us kids were to be seen and not heard. The Goodings were a little stricter than the McDonalds, very old values.

It's great that you have that connection with your extended family. My family is nothing like that. I knew a few relatives growing up, but we never had that strong family identity...probably representative of our general cultural differences (I'm a Midwesterner).

DarknessInside
05-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Here is my impression of the best and worst of every culture on Apricity, as I see it. Feel free to add, but you must add a best and worst.

Meta-Ethnicity: Italo-Hellenic
Ancestry: Italian, Greek
Now I see why Roman Empire failed and collapsed... LOL...

Gooding
05-28-2015, 02:45 AM
It's great that you have that connection with your extended family. My family is nothing like that. I knew a few relatives growing up, but we never had that strong family identity...probably representative of our general cultural differences (I'm a Midwesterner).

Well, my uncle Joe and his family still live in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties so we can see them every so often. I just described the first reunion since 1946 that happened the Summer of 2014, not long after I got back up to Virginia from Florida ( my divorce was common knowledge and my Uncle Calvin had just passed away, so those were topics we didn't discuss). It was really interesting to hear some of those stories.

Charles Bronson
05-28-2015, 02:47 AM

I do not understand?

Era
05-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Very dumbed down observations and look at the thumbs up. Lol

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 02:50 AM

Great to hear about your family Gooding :). My nuclear family are the only members of my family in North America, so our family events were usually filled out with family friends rather than blood relations. That being said, my fathers (Italian) side of the family has lived in the UK for ~120 years, so I got a chance to visit the UK often growing up. Even though my dad's family married within the Italian community of England (essentially no UK DNA in my 23andMe, ~7% north euro), they are loyal to the UK first, and my great grand father fought for England in WWI, and my Grandfather was an AA gunner in London during the blitz (then on to North Africa), my Grandfather even lost a brother who was in the Royal Navy to a U-Boat. Even now I have a cousin in the Royal Navy, he toured me around the HMS Victory at Portsmouth last year. My moms side of the family is Greek, mostly from the island of Corfu, but all over the place really. Long history in Greece, and I know that I had relatives in both Balkan wars, WWI, WWII, and the Greek Civil War (moms maternal side Communist, paternal side Fascist hah). My parents met when my mom went to London to do her PhD, and the rest is history. I also got a chance to visit Greece many many times growing up, but never learned the language.. which means I am not really that close with my mothers side of the family, which is a shame. Luckily, in midwestern Canada, I am really involved with my long term girlfriends family and their farm (I study Plant Genetics in University and love agriculture).. and they allllllllways have family around. Took some getting used to having like 10 people sitting around for Sunday Brunch.. but I love it.

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 02:51 AM

Yeah I don't get it

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 02:52 AM

I just wrote what I have observed. If you don't agree let me know what you think! Its easy to criticize :)

Marusya
05-28-2015, 02:52 AM
What about the Slavs? Outside of the Balkans? You left out Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Slovenia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia... :)

Thunder_shock
05-28-2015, 02:53 AM
North Euros (germans, scandinavian, British, french):
Good: tend to be slightly more thoughtful when engaging in most topics, discuss topics in a logic and constructive manner, leave their emotions at the door.
Bad: Can be condescending to others and have a propensity to look down on other cultures . Also most suffer from a superiority complex.
Meds:
Good: Are knowledgeable of their country's history and culture.
Bad: Seem to often be insecure at where they fit in Europe, have a complex where they need to prove they are "white", as a result they are constantly fighting to prove that they are "white" and are dissimilar to North Africans.
Balkans Good: keep the forum lively.
Bad: They are far too nationalistic and are as a result are engaged in repetitive pissing contests which reduces the quality of the forum and puts them in a bad light.

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 02:54 AM
I do not understand?

What about the Slavs? Outside of the Balkans? You left out Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Slovenia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia... :)

I suppose I haven't observed enough from them... any observations would be fairly arbitrary. Perhaps others can help me out

Era
05-28-2015, 02:56 AM
I just wrote what I have observed. If you don't agree let me know what you think! Its easy to criticize :)

I refuse to do such generalizations that mean nothing. Most people are their own person and have not much in common with their compatriots.

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 02:57 AM
I refuse to do such generalizations that mean nothing. Most people are their own person and have not much in common with their compatriots.

Fair enough.. though anthropology as a field is essentially generalizations made through observation. Not exactly an empirical science. Though, your point is valid, not everyone conforms to a norm.

Jacques de Imbelloni
05-28-2015, 03:05 AM
Middle class latin americans living in Latin America.
Diaspora lower class latin americans living in USA.
Two cultures completely different in behavior and education.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Great to hear about your family Gooding :). My nuclear family are the only members of my family in North America, so our family events were usually filled out with family friends rather than blood relations. That being said, my fathers (Italian) side of the family has lived in the UK for ~120 years, so I got a chance to visit the UK often growing up. Even though my dad's family married within the Italian community of England (essentially no UK DNA in my 23andMe, ~7% north euro), they are loyal to the UK first, and my great grand father fought for England in WWI, and my Grandfather was an AA gunner in London during the blitz (then on to North Africa), my Grandfather even lost a brother who was in the Royal Navy to a U-Boat. Even now I have a cousin in the Royal Navy, he toured me around the HMS Victory at Portsmouth last year. My moms side of the family is Greek, mostly from the island of Corfu, but all over the place really. Long history in Greece, and I know that I had relatives in both Balkan wars, WWI, WWII, and the Greek Civil War (moms maternal side Communist, paternal side Fascist hah). My parents met when my mom went to London to do her PhD, and the rest is history. I also got a chance to visit Greece many many times growing up, but never learned the language.. which means I am not really that close with my mothers side of the family, which is a shame. Luckily, in midwestern Canada, I am really involved with my long term girlfriends family and their farm (I study Plant Genetics in University and love agriculture).. and they allllllllways have family around. Took some getting used to having like 10 people sitting around for Sunday Brunch.. but I love it.

It seems to me that your family history and cultural experiences are a lot more interesting than mine ( not that that would be hard, of course). It's awesome that your family could put down such firm roots in the U.K. and then Canada! It's good to hear that you're so close not only with your own family, but your long term girlfriend's family as well! Very nice. :)

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Middle class latin americans living in Latin America.
Diaspora lower class latin americans living in USA.
Two cultures completely different in behavior and education.

I didn't specify race in any of the examples, just where they live. I would include your first example under latin americans, and your second under North Americans. Though your point is taken.

Trogdor
05-28-2015, 03:21 AM

Sounds like in spite of not holding family gatherings often, your family seems to be very close with each other. Sadly I don't think some people put much emphasis on family these days.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 03:28 AM
Sounds like in spite of not holding family gatherings often, your family seems to be very close with each other. Sadly I don't think some people put much emphasis on family these days.

That's just always the way things have been for us.:) I do notice the deterioration of family ties, too, and I think that's a major reason for so much unhappiness you see..

Brianna
05-28-2015, 03:31 AM

That surprises me, since you're part Sicilian. My cousin complained that Italian families were closer than our family. They always had dinners and celebrations together while we rarely even talked. He left out the fact that he moved across the country. Still, he had a point. One side of my family is more distant for a variety of reasons.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 03:43 AM
:bump2:

Mortimer
05-28-2015, 03:53 AM
That surprises me, since you're part Sicilian. My cousin complained that Italian families were closer than our family. They always had dinners and celebrations together while we rarely even talked. He left out the fact that he moved across the country. Still, he had a point. One side of my family is more distant for a variety of reasons.

he is only 1/8 sicilian its distant and i dont know how many sicilian relatives he knows or if he grew up within a "sicilian family" probably not

Mortimer
05-28-2015, 03:54 AM
anyone wants to include me in their observations, thanks.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 03:57 AM

Romani:
Best: Thoughtful and diplomatic posts well researched.
Worst: Can be oversensitive and timid.

Mortimer
05-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Romani:
Best: Thoughtful and diplomatic posts well researched.
Worst: Can be oversensitive and timid.

thanks man

Brianna
05-28-2015, 04:01 AM

Best: You want to be included, accepted, respected and liked (who doesn't?).
Worst: You care too much about it.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:05 AM

As King Kong mentioned, I'm only 1/8 Sicilian on my direct maternal line. My Sicilian great-grandmother married a Protestant German-American. Her family were devoutly Catholic mob types, and weren't too keen on the religious differences from what I've heard. Whatever the case, that side was heavily Germanized by the time you get to my mom, and she married a true blue WASP. So I share nothing with Italians culturally speaking, nor phenotypically either for that matter. Everyone in my immediate family has light eyes, and I and 3 of my 6 siblings have blond hair. I think of myself as German/Anglo for what it's worth.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Best: You want to be included, accepted, respected and liked (who doesn't?).
Worst: You care too much about it.

I agree with this, King Kong. Your worth is not found in what other people think of you. I know I could benefit from my own advice as well.

Brianna
05-28-2015, 04:09 AM
My Sicilian great-grandmother married a Protestant German-American. Her family were devoutly Catholic mob types,

Do you mean A mob or THE Mob?

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:12 AM
Do you mean A mob or THE Mob?

THE mob, as the story goes - 1920s Chicago, barbers' union, that kind of stuff. :) Obviously not my better side.

Brianna
05-28-2015, 04:16 AM
THE mob, as the story goes - 1920s Chicago, barbers' union, that kind of stuff. :) Obviously not my better side.

We might have some ancient history in common. Yes, I'm being intentionally vague.:D

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:21 AM
We might have some ancient history in common. Yes, I'm being intentionally vague.:D

Only safe, especially on a site like this. There's some crazies out there for sure. :)

Brianna
05-28-2015, 04:26 AM
Only safe, especially on a site like this. There's some crazies out there for sure. :)

AFAIK, none of my relatives were actual members of any organized crime groups. I exclude motorcycle gangs before 2000.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:29 AM
AFAIK, none of my relatives were actual members of any organized crime groups. I exclude motorcycle gangs before 2000.

LOL at the motorcycle gangs. :) And that's definitely a good thing. I find the mob interesting, but it's certainly nothing to be proud of.

Stears
05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
buuuumpugly look untermensch

Prism
05-28-2015, 10:29 AM

The countries are the Balkans :picard1:

Well I there isnt much Croatian posters neither are there montengrins.
All of these users from these countries behave the same way as other Balkan users.

Prism
05-28-2015, 10:31 AM
I suppose I haven't observed enough from them... any observations would be fairly arbitrary. Perhaps others can help me out

They act like other Balkanites, considering they are ( Montenegrins, Croats and Macedonians ).

Hithaeglir
05-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Greeks -
Best: Love to talk about their rich and colorful history! It seems that even the average Greek has a working knowledge of ancient + modern Greek history.

We are made to talk about it.Look at our section.

Worst: Tend to take things too personally. So used to defending themselves that they will take even a minor criticism or historical question as a personal attack.

If you were constantly attacked by leeches,you would have grown the same temper when you log in here.

Queen B
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Ιt is his own personal observation, so its pretty obvious that this is what HE thinks according to his apricity experience.
And since he has 17 TU, it means that those 17 people agree with him.

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:03 PM
You are all untermensch

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
The "Berg-Schola", the world's first institute of technology, was founded in Selmecbánya, Kingdom of Hungary[1] , in 1735. Its legal successor is the University of Miskolc in

Hungary.

BME University is considered the world's oldest institute of technology which has university rank and structure. It was the first institute in Europe to train engineers at

university level.[2] The legal predecessor of the university was founded in 1782 by Emperor Joseph II, and was named Latin: Institutum Geometrico-Hydrotechnicum ("Institute of

Geometry and Hydrotechnics"). The first steam engine of continental Europe was built in Újbánya - Köngisberg, Kingdom of Hungary (Today Nová Baňa Slovakia) in 1722. They

served on pumping water from mines.

The first steam engine of continental Europe was built in Újbánya in 1722. It served on pumping water from mines.[19][20][21][22]

Hungarian inventions: noiseless match, first flyable rigid (aluminium) airship, first electric motors(1827), first Transformer, electricity meter, cascade connection,

paralell connection, first tungsten light bulbs, krypton electric bulbs, Telephone Exchange,cyclotron, nuclear chain reaction and nuclear reactor, first atomic bomb, first

H-bomb, Quantum Theory, Game theory Flow- theory, "charge-storage" physical phenomena, a pioneer in developing Electronic Television and camera-tube (1926) and invented the

Plasma TV (1936) and Infrared camera (1929).

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Count only the scientific Nobel awards/ population ratio.

Hungary:

Chemistry: 5

Physics: 3

Physiology or medicine: 4

GRAND TOTAL: 12

IMMIGRANTS: 0

United Kingdom:

chemistry 28 (5 was immigrant)

Physics 23 (3 immigrant)

Physiology or medicine 34 (6 immigrant)

GRAND TOTAL: 85

ABORIGINAL BRITISH (Without immigrants): 71

GERMANY

CHEMISTRY: 29 (2 IMMIGRANT)

PHYSICS: 31 (6 IMMIGRANT)

Physiology or Medicine: 24 (7 IMMIGRANT)

GRAND TOTAL: 84

IMMIGRANTS: 15

ABORIGINAL GERMAN: 69

France:

PHYSICS: 13 (IMMIGRANT: 2)

CHEMISTRY: 11 (IMMIGRANT : 2)

Physiology or Medicine: 13 (IMMIGRANT: 1)

GRAND TOTAL: 37

IMMIGRANTS: 5

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:09 PM
So you are all primitive untermensch.

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Hah to be clear, Stears, I didn't include Hungary because I haven't really seen many of them around on TA except you, so any observations would be based on solely on you. But you do seem to be very proud to be Hungarian, which I suppose is a good thing. Also to add to you list, Italy has 20 nobel laureates, 1 of which was born in Switzerland (Daniel Bovet, physiology 1957)

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 12:23 PM
We are made to talk about it.Look at our section.

If you were constantly attacked by leeches,you would have grown the same temper when you log in here.

Its very true.. I grew up with my mom telling me ancient myths instead of fairy tales. To this day, The Tasks of Herakles (she was always very strict on me calling him Herakles, not Hercules) is my favorite story.

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Hah to be clear, Stears, I didn't include Hungary because I haven't really seen many of them around on TA except you, so any observations would be based on solely on you. But you do seem to be very proud to be Hungarian, which I suppose is a good thing. Also to add to you list, Italy has 20 nobel laureates, 1 of which was born in Switzerland (Daniel Bovet, physiology 1957)So it means, that Italy has a very bad ratio of Nobel awards per capita.

Queen B
05-28-2015, 12:44 PM
So it means, that Italy has a very bad ratio of Nobel awards per capita.
How many threads are you going to post the same shit. Open one about the Nobel prizes, and stay on topic THERE. Noone cares here about the per capita Nobels from Jews.

Stears
05-28-2015, 12:59 PM
How many threads are you going to post the same shit. Open one about the Nobel prizes, and stay on topic THERE. Noone cares here about the per capita Nobels from Jews.Your fantasy is endless. You are envy, because greece is a balkanic orthodox (non-western culture) country, where the industrialization appeared only in the 1960s and 1970s.

Hithaeglir
05-28-2015, 01:04 PM
You are all untermensch

"Hello ugly member".

Charles Bronson
05-28-2015, 01:13 PM
ugly look untermensch

stears my friend, how are you?:)

Trogdor
05-28-2015, 01:19 PM

If he has one distant Sicilian ancestor I'm not sure if he grew up with his Italian family.

One tradition I know of for most Italian-Americans is that the family all gets together every Sunday for dinner. My own family did this for a long time when I was growing up, but in the last few years this hasn't happened as often anymore.

Journeyman26
05-28-2015, 01:48 PM
If he has one distant Sicilian ancestor so I'm not sure if he grew up with his Italian family.

One tradition I know of for most Italian-Americans is that the family all gets together every Sunday for dinner. My own family did this for a long time when I was growing up, but in the last few years this hasn't happened as often anymore.

Hmm my family is not that close either... I mean we are, but no more than the average family. My family gets together for Sunday dinner, but my girlfriends family (Brit/Polish) all get together for Sunday brunch.

Cristiano viejo
05-28-2015, 01:52 PM

Hungary:

Zero immigrants my balls. How many of them were Jews?

Queen B
05-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Zero immigrants my balls. How many of them were Jews?
10 :lol:

Äijä
05-28-2015, 02:14 PM

They are motorcycle clubs, not gangs.

Cristiano viejo
05-28-2015, 02:14 PM
10 :lol:

lol are you serious?

Queen B
05-28-2015, 02:41 PM
lol are you serious?
No, not exactly.
Out of 12 Nobel winners, 8 were Jewish
Avram Hershko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avram_Hershko) - Hungarian Born Israeli Biochemist
Imre Kertész (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imre_Kert%C3%A9sz) - Jewish
John Harsanyi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harsanyi) - Jewish (by ancestry, not religion since they converted to Catholicism)
Dennis Gabor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Gabor) - Jewish
Eugene Wigner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Wigner) - Jewish
George de Hevesy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_de_Hevesy) - Jewish
Robert Barany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3bert_B%C3%A1r%C3%A1ny) - Jewish
George Andrew Olah (http://www.science.co.il/Nobel-Chemistry.asp) - Jewish
Phillip Lenard was German and the rest 3 were actually Hungarians.

Marusya
05-28-2015, 04:38 PM
The countries are the Balkans :picard1:

You may calm yourself. :D I know that. :) He just failed to mention them specifically or the Slavs, in general. He also explained that he hasn't had much contact with members from these countries, or who have heritage from them.

Prism
05-28-2015, 05:12 PM
You may calm yourself. :D I know that. :) He just failed to mention them specifically or the Slavs, in general. He also explained that he hasn't had much contact with members from these countries, or who have heritage from them.

Sorry I have bad temper I know.

Marusya
05-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Sorry I have bad temper I know.

I can relate. It's a Slavic thing. :D

Prism
05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
I can relate. It's a Slavic thing. :D

Haha well sort off, all Balkan people : Slavs, Albanians and even Greeks ( I think ) have this.
From what i've seen with my other Slav ( not South Slav ) friends is that they are easily provoked drunk, while sober not so much while Balkanics get super angry as soon as you call their Mother a whore even as a joke. The user Veneda said so to, it's more South Slavs and less other Slavs.

For example my friends mother who is Polish tells him ( she had been to Yugoslavia back in the day ) don't provoke your friend ( me ) because i've seen those Balkan people they go beserk at the minimal thing :lol:

Jana
05-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Americans: UP: curious and considerate
DOWN: this white thingy :D

Slavs: UP: funny and generally well educated (biased ofc :)))
DOWN: xenophobic

Southern Europeans: UP: pride in their own culture and language !!
DOWN: from my Croatian perspective, ignorant towards many things''Eastern''/Slavic

Brits/Irish: UP: scientific and likable. I really like them so far. Common sense!
DOWN: can't think of anything

Turks: UP: passionate and patriotic, deep interest in genetics
DOWN: agressive

...X.

MINARDOWICZ
05-28-2015, 05:37 PM
MINARDIDS

Best: Smartest on the forum

Worst: Ashamed of flat-headedness.

Charles Bronson
05-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Americans: UP: curious and considerate
DOWN: this white thingy :D

Slavs: UP: funny and generally well educated (biased ofc :)))
DOWN: xenophobic

Southern Europeans: UP: pride in their own culture and language !!
DOWN: from my Croatian perspective, ignorant towards many things''Eastern''/Slavic

Brits/Irish: UP: scientific and likable. I really like them so far. Common sense!
DOWN: can't think of anything

Turks: UP: passionate and patriotic, deep interest in genetics
DOWN: agressive

...X.

shut up.:mad:

Jana
05-28-2015, 05:43 PM
shut up.:mad:

You pissed Erlik??? Take a horse ride to calm down a bit :D

Infinite
05-28-2015, 05:43 PM

He is tsundere

Jana
05-28-2015, 05:44 PM
He is tsundere

What is that?

Charles Bronson
05-28-2015, 05:45 PM

that was sarcasm.:cool:

Infinite
05-28-2015, 05:45 PM
What is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere

http://forums.oce.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=577

Jana
05-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Thank you guys ! :P

Charles Bronson
05-28-2015, 05:54 PM
He is tsundere

I'm more like deadpool, likes to beat up people who are rude to him.

Gooding
05-28-2015, 08:51 PM
As King Kong mentioned, I'm only 1/8 Sicilian on my direct maternal line. My Sicilian great-grandmother married a Protestant German-American. Her family were devoutly Catholic mob types, and weren't too keen on the religious differences from what I've heard. Whatever the case, that side was heavily Germanized by the time you get to my mom, and she married a true blue WASP. So I share nothing with Italians culturally speaking, nor phenotypically either for that matter. Everyone in my immediate family has light eyes, and I and 3 of my 6 siblings have blond hair. I think of myself as German/Anglo for what it's worth.

That's pretty neat, though.. a bit of variety in the blood. :) I'm 1/8 Cajun French myself, but my great grandmother married an Anglo, my grandmother married somebody from a Scotch- Irish family and my mother married an Anglo..so here I am. I think of myself as very English American ( as two of my four grandparents were almost exclusively English ( with some German thrown in.. Dad's 1/16 Virginia German, one great- grandparent was Anglo with about 1/8 German blood, Mom's 1/32). I'm about as English as an American can get without extensive endogamy). I don't think that having less than a quarter of non- British blood makes me much of a mutt and my Scotch- Irish grandparent has English blood through his father's mother ( Cecil) and his mother's mother ( Perkins).

Brianna
05-28-2015, 11:37 PM
If he has one distant Sicilian ancestor I'm not sure if he grew up with his Italian family.

My cousin mentioned that. We always got together for holiday celebrations and dinners, as well as cookouts. Sometimes, we went out to dinner at restaurants on weekends. Cousins also visited from time to time. This was mainly on one side of the family, though. The other side was closer in the past. In fact, there was a time when both sides were close.

Brianna
05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
They are motorcycle clubs, not gangs.

Tell that to the Hell's Angels.;) Well, they might CALL themselves a club. Law enforcement would beg to differ.

Smitty
05-29-2015, 12:32 AM
That's pretty neat, though.. a bit of variety in the blood. :) I'm 1/8 Cajun French myself, but my great grandmother married an Anglo, my grandmother married somebody from a Scotch- Irish family and my mother married an Anglo..so here I am. I think of myself as very English American ( as two of my four grandparents were almost exclusively English ( with some German thrown in.. Dad's 1/16 Virginia German, one great- grandparent was Anglo with about 1/8 German blood, Mom's 1/32). I'm about as English as an American can get without extensive endogamy). I don't think that having less than a quarter of non- British blood makes me much of a mutt and my Scotch- Irish grandparent has English blood through his father's mother ( Cecil) and his mother's mother ( Perkins).

Yeah, I would agree you're probably in the top 10% of "most Anglo" Americans. :) For my part, I wouldn't mind some of that ethnic purity. Like we discussed on another thread, mutts like me don't have a whole lot of identity. Or rather, we have to make/choose an identity rather than having it handed down to us. But I'm way off topic here, so I'll shut up.

Journeyman26
05-29-2015, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I would agree you're probably in the top 10% of "most Anglo" Americans. :) For my part, I wouldn't mind some of that ethnic purity. Like we discussed on another thread, mutts like me don't have a whole lot of identity. Or rather, we have to make/choose an identity rather than having it handed down to us. But I'm way off topic here, so I'll shut up.

That is quite alright.. I don't mind seeing where the thread goes. Very interesting topic anyway. As a Midwestern Canadian with half Italian (within the UK Italian community) and half Greek DNA and limited family on this side of the pond I know all too well what it is like to not fully have a culture to call your own. I think that is why I am so interested in history and cultural diversity within Europe. I love Canada, and see myself as Canadian first, but its not really my heritage.

jackrussell
05-29-2015, 01:49 AM

you can wear more then one hat , relax .

Gooding
05-29-2015, 01:59 AM

Of course, one could argue that all " purity" means is that one's ancestors never got out much. :) I hear you, in fact, I was in a similar situation in reverse. I was using those readings from Gedmatch to try to " prove" that I was more mixed than I actually was. Recently ( you can read about it in another thread), I had an awakening of sorts. I realized just how Anglo- American I actually was and all the emphasis on being around 1/16 or so German or 1/8 French Cajun wouldn't change the basic facts about my ethnicity. 23andMe reads me as having 0.2% Native American Ancestry. I did some research. That goes back to the early seventeenth century and a quarter Miq'maq, quarter Abenaki and half French woman known as Catherine Lejeune. Two of her daughters married into the Prejean and Pellerin families via the Savoies and that's why I have the whole 0.2% American Indian blood. That was when the Protestant Reformation was going through its growing pains. I type that to let anybody who reads as 0.2% of something has it almost in the mists of antiquity, if it isn't noise. If you're multiethnic, good on you! You could see yourself as having the best traits of all the elements of your heritage.

Gooding
05-29-2015, 02:08 AM
:bump2:

Smitty
05-29-2015, 02:13 AM
you can wear more then one hat , relax .

Absolutely true, and I do. Most Americans are fairly mixed, so I'm probably in the majority in that regard. I meant only that there's a simplicity to the ethnic purity of Southerners/Mormons that I sometimes envy.

jackrussell
05-29-2015, 02:16 AM
Absolutely true, and I do. Most Americans are fairly mixed, so I'm probably in the majority in that regard. I meant only that there's a simplicity to the ethnic purity of Southerners/Mormons that I sometimes envy.

Yeah that simplicity has connotations of innnocence somewhat .
:)

Ryujin
05-29-2015, 02:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere

http://forums.oce.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=577

Lol my weaboo sense was tingling because someone made an Anime reference in here

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/did-somebody-say-anime_o_2405619.jpg

Gooding
05-29-2015, 02:21 AM
Yeah that simplicity has connotations of innnocence somewhat .
:)
All I've got to say about that is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02puRU9FI0 . :thumbs up

Ryujin
05-29-2015, 02:29 AM
Turks in here are quite diverse as in the real life, not really acting in harmony like albos or other slavs, there are strictly ideological distinctions amongst Turks.

Gooding
05-29-2015, 02:30 AM
Here's the first episode, y'all.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3TI4_HmOEc

Cristiano viejo
05-29-2015, 02:31 AM
ok I go with my impressions in Apricity

Spanish: the best: They are the best people of Apricity. They are handsome (me the first), beautiful, intelligent, pleasant, cultured, with sense of humor and proud of their past.
the worst: Absolutely nothing.

Portuguese: the best: They behaved as our brothers, what they are.
the worst: They dont admit that they are Spaniards too.

Italians: the best: Some of them are friendly with Spaniards, Ierax, Ulla, some Sicilian users...
the worst: They are fully obssesioned with Spaniards, overall the Terrone (Southern ones).
Wait, perhaps that it is the best ;)

Greeks: The best: No problems with them at all. I dont cross many posts with them anyway. I laugh a lot with the Linet smilies.
The worst: their trolling toward Albanians. They should do harder ;)

Albanians: The best: none lives in Spain.
The worst: primitivism, savageness, uncivilized, mediocre people. Kastrioti their best exponent, their vizier.
They deny or minimize constantly the crimes of Albos around Europe.

British: The best: They are educated people, I had a vision of them as hooligans but I was wrong.
The worst: They are the descendants of pirates ;)

French: The best: Respectful people normally. Rudel, D´Sanglard, Jean le Bon, Ivan Kramkoi... good people.
The worst: They dont admit our clear militar superiority in past.

Scandos: The best: A few times you can talk with them peacefully.
The worst: People like Dombra, who knowing his Mongol admixture wants that Southerners feel mongrels like himself and insult like a crazy in his Mongol pony imitating Gengis Khan :fhhorse:

Russians, Bulgarians, Poles, Ukrainians, Estonians (are there Estonians here?) and Eastern Euros are a bit invisible for me, I dont talk too much with them.

Jews: the best: Longobowman, Mark, sometimes Horatio aka Don Coyote xD
the worst: Anglo+Jew and his obssesion with Goyims and pretending be Whites.

Mexicans: the best: Very friendly people. When I arrived to this forum I did not know how Mexicans really are.Nice people really. A nice surprise to me.
the worst: nothing :noidea:

Argentinians: the best: Very friendly too.
the worst: They support Messi the Dwarf ;)

Brazilians: the best: Also very friendly. The Brazilian-Welsh, LESM, Also, Curupira, good people.
the worst: idk

Another Southamericans to highlight, Incal the Peruvian, a bit perverted but nice guy ;)

Americans from US: the best: most of them are respectful people: Gooding, Isleńo the Canarian guy, Mark and Horatio the Jews, Alnortedelsur, Hill35 aka Captain Murdock for me :cool:, Journeyman, my bald friend Jim Crow :D
the worst: 1eye calling swarthy to Las Ketchup hahaha

Äijä
05-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Tell that to the Hell's Angels.;) Well, they might CALL themselves a club. Law enforcement would beg to differ.

My girlfirends uncle is a Hell's Angel.

Illancha
05-29-2015, 05:55 AM
You forgot the Colez Biker Gang.

Worst: everyone is a victim
Best: it's okay when he's DOM

Brianna
05-29-2015, 06:08 AM
My girlfirends uncle is a Hell's Angel.

Ask him, then.

EL_BARBARO
05-29-2015, 02:32 PM

Spanish: the best: They are the best people of Apricity. They are handsome (me the first), beautiful, intelligent, pleasant, cultured, with sense of humor and proud of their past.

Italians: the best: Some of them are friendly with Spaniards, Ierax, Ulla, some Sicilian users...
the worst: They are fully obssesioned with Spaniards, overall the Terrone (Southern ones).

Greeks: The best: No problems with them at all. I dont cross many posts with them anyway. I laugh a lot with the Linet smilies.

The worst: primitivism, savageness, uncivilized, mediocre people. Kastrioti their best exponent, their vizier.

British: The best: They are educated people, I had a vision of them as hooligans but I was wrong.

French: The best: Respectful people normally. Rudel, D´Sanglard, Jean le Bon, Ivan Kramkoi... good people.

The worst: People like Dombra, who knowing his Mongol admixture wants that Southerners feel mongrels like himself and insult like a crazy in his Mongol pony imitating Gengis Khan :fhhorse:

Russians, Bulgarians, Poles, Ukrainians, Estonians (are there Estonians here?) and Eastern Euros are a bit invisible for me, I dont talk too much with them.

Mexicans: the best: Very friendly people. When I arrived to this forum I did not know how Mexicans really are.Nice people really. A nice surprise to me.

Brazilians: the best: Also very friendly. The Brazilian-Welsh, LESM, Also, Curupira, good people.

Another Southamericans to highlight, Incal the Peruvian, a bit perverted but nice guy ;)

Americans from US: the best: most of them are respectful people: Gooding, Isleńo the Canarian guy, Mark and Horatio the Jews, Alnortedelsur, Hill35 aka Captain Murdock for me :cool:, Journeyman, my bald friend Jim Crow :D

Really accurate :thumbs up

Era
05-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Christiano you sound so childish . I can't believe you're 30 something. And I don't understand the animosity towards Albanians, you have nothing to do with them, what gives? Did any of them beat the hell out of you, or stole your girlfriend/boyfriend? The latter seems unlikely though cause you seem pretty asexual..

Cristiano viejo
05-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Christiano you sound so childish . I can't believe you're 30 something. And I don't understand the animosity towards Albanians, you have nothing to do with them, what gives? Did any of them beat the hell out of you, or stole your girlfriend/boyfriend? The latter seems unlikely though cause you seem pretty asexual..
Damn Chloe, I was joking! Apologize.

EL_BARBARO
05-29-2015, 02:59 PM
What sensitive persons, for god's sake...

Hey, Chloe, come on, it was not seriously....

sorry, just a joke, woman...

not all is argue :)

jackrussell
05-29-2015, 09:00 PM
What sensitive persons, for god's sake...

Hey, Chloe, come on, it was not seriously....

sorry, just a joke, woman...

not all is argue :)

bit crude isn't it ?

Sideritis
05-29-2015, 09:12 PM

30 years old?:picard1: I still have to see him missing a chance to bad mouth Albanians.

Cristiano viejo
05-29-2015, 10:11 PM
30 years old?:picard1: I still have to see him missing a chance to bad mouth Albanians.
I apologize, Sideritis. Seriously.
Some Albos here are friendly too and one can talk with them peacefully. Chloe, Mellow, Kurt, yourself.
Sorry for my words and nevermind :smilie_liebe9:

Damiăo de Góis
05-29-2015, 10:47 PM

Hungary:

United Kingdom:

chemistry 28 (5 was immigrant)

Physics 23 (3 immigrant)

Physiology or medicine 34 (6 immigrant)

GRAND TOTAL: 85

ABORIGINAL BRITISH (Without immigrants): 71

GERMANY

CHEMISTRY: 29 (2 IMMIGRANT)

PHYSICS: 31 (6 IMMIGRANT)

Physiology or Medicine: 24 (7 IMMIGRANT)

GRAND TOTAL: 84

IMMIGRANTS: 15

ABORIGINAL GERMAN: 69

France:

PHYSICS: 13 (IMMIGRANT: 2)

CHEMISTRY: 11 (IMMIGRANT : 2)

Physiology or Medicine: 13 (IMMIGRANT: 1)

GRAND TOTAL: 37

IMMIGRANTS: 5

I always thought that looking for the acceptance of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences was cute. Any other awards given by swedes you want to list? How about the Golden Globe of Swedish Faggotry?

Lemon Kush
05-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Tbh I care little about other people's cultures.

Smitty
05-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Tbh I care little about other people's cultures.

America and Bulgaria can be brothers in apathy.

alnortedelsur
06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

Very accurate:thumb001: but just a correction: I am not North American, I just live in here. I am south American (Venezuelan) with Spanish citizenship (Spanish mom), who lived in Spain for a while, and now I am living in US for personal circumstances.

Prism
06-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Lol. I thought he was around my age judging by his posts.

Drawing-slim
06-19-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't think stears represents the typical Hungarian, he is more of a universal hero.

Μιχαήλ
07-14-2015, 09:57 AM
I think we Ελληνές are markedly more complex than what is explained by Iberia-Hellenic. I think a short exposition on the modern Hellenic condition is warranted. My people are actively divided in to two distinguishing categories: the Έλλνη and the Ρωμαίος. I shall expand on that information. A Έλλνη is a person who is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the ancient Hellenic milieu, and the adoration of the Pantheon. A Ρωμαίος is a person who is Orthodox Christian and propagates Βυζαντινισμός or ecclesiastical dogmatism and superstition. The assertion that Hellenism and Orthodoxy are compatible is incorrect.

Mortimer
07-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Ok here is my take on a few cultures on TA

Americans: all good people so far
British: all good people (only Germanicus was exception but he is not active anymore)
Dutch: Represented by Bjarte and Beitel, im sure they are not the average dutchman though
Spanish: Usually dont disturb me
Italians: not many left
Albanians: i like mellow chloe and kurt
Turks: Most are good people on here
Germans: Represented by far right types (Leliana, Grenzland, Jarla, Austo/i count him as German but he is Austrian) usually dont disturb me though, except Leliana (but she was worse in the past)
French: They are all handsome here (think of petalpusher and rudel)