PDA

View Full Version : Palestine drops motion to suspend Israel from FIFA

European Knight
05-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Palestine drops motion to suspend Israel from FIFA - Football | The Star Online (http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Football/2015/05/29/Palestinians-drop-motion-to-suspend-Israel-from-FIFA/)

ZURICH (Reuters) - Palestine dropped its motion to suspend Israel from international football amid highly-charged scenes at the FIFA Congress on Friday.

Instead, the Congress voted in favour of a proposal to create a multilateral committee of observers to monitor the freedom of players and officials to move in and out of the occupied Palestinian territories.

Israel Football Association (IFA) President Ofer Eini at one point called on his Palestine counterpart Jibril Rajoub to come on stage and shake hands in front of the Congress, something Rajoub initially declined in a tense standoff.

"I would very much want us to shake hands, and say we are launching a new road," said Eini.

But Rajoub said he would only make such a gesture once a deal had been made to address the Palestine FA's grievances.

"I am ready to come and shake hands but let us vote, make a deal that me and you will cooperate under the statutes of FIFA," said Rajoub, a former politician.

They eventually shook hands once a proposal had been drawn up by FIFA President Sepp Blatter.