PDA

View Full Version : Germany offering free college education to Americans??

rhiannon
06-05-2015, 03:04 AM
I tend not to trust most news sources anymore, but I just read an article stating Germany will now offer free College Educations to Americans willing to learn German in order to get the freebie.

Is this really true?

Damn. I took German in college....it's too damn bad this didn't happen about 20 years ago lol

Input and opinions of TA's German members would be appreciated. Do you guys like this idea, or not?

Mortimer
06-05-2015, 03:10 AM
they probably like if the american is white like you but if its a black american they probably think it would be bad

alb0zfinest
06-05-2015, 03:11 AM
Yeah I've heard about this. But it isn't just Germany, its Norway, Sweden and Denmark as well. Its such a shame this country has gone to shit. At one point, the U.S was the place where various innovators, intellectuals would immigrate to, now they leave and go elsewhere.

Sally the first
07-28-2015, 01:04 PM
well at least students will be motivated to finish high school and actually graduating so they could go study in Europe

Mädel Edelweiß
07-23-2017, 11:05 PM
I'm all for this?!? I wish I'd known about this when I graduated high school, I would have loved that. I took 3 years of German in HS and have studied it on my own since. I love the language.

Mortimer
07-23-2017, 11:40 PM
I'm all for this?!? I wish I'd known about this when I graduated high school, I would have loved that. I took 3 years of German in HS and have studied it on my own since. I love the language.

you should visit germany at least once, its your ancestral urheimat, since you are pennsylvania german according to your profile. you also would learn better german staying there a month or two

Mädel Edelweiß
07-23-2017, 11:47 PM
you should visit germany at least once, its your ancestral urheimat, since you are pennsylvania german according to your profile. you also would learn better german staying there a month or two

I would give anything to visit Germany. I have wanted to since I was about 13 or 14. I think the only way would to be visit with friends or for school, but with my major I wouldn't benefit from studying in Germany (in the eyes of my school. Italy or France would be preferred), so the prices would be higher I believe. Right now I'm at a level where I can read German, understand German well enough if the speaker speaks very clearly, but I'm not confident in my own verbal skills.

Mortimer
07-23-2017, 11:51 PM
I would give anything to visit Germany. I have wanted to since I was about 13 or 14. I think the only way would to be visit with friends or for school, but with my major I wouldn't benefit from studying in Germany (in the eyes of my school. Italy or France would be preferred), so the prices would be higher I believe. Right now I'm at a level where I can read German, understand German well enough if the speaker speaks very clearly, but I'm not confident in my own verbal skills.

What about Austria? We could make a deal I visit USA and you visit Austria, like exchange, and we share costs. I always wanted to visit USA. I dont know if that works like that though.

Mädel Edelweiß
07-23-2017, 11:57 PM
What about Austria? We could make a deal I visit USA and you visit Austria, like exchange, and we share costs. I always wanted to visit USA. I dont know if that works like that though.

That's an interesting idea that had never crossed my mind. I think (in an ideal world) this should be a common practice, so we can have a better understanding of other european cultures. Although, with all ideas like this it can be easily corrupted by people with less than pure intentions. I can see where this could fall short as a practice, and actually become a problem. It's a shame that some people have to ruin the fun for everyone.

Iloko
12-05-2017, 11:56 PM
To learn the beast of a language called German ain't an easy task