PDA

View Full Version : Goths - who were they?

d3cimat3d
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Settlements, cities, or towns belonging to the Chernyakhov culture:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/MurderMaterial/Facett_02a-g.jpg

W. R.
08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
To avoid creating a new thread I'll revive this one.

My question is: what modern nation has the most justified right to claim Goths' heritage?

poiuytrewq0987
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM

My question is: what modern nation has the most justified right to claim Goths' heritage?

I'm 18-22% Goth and another Serb on Polako is usually 39-45% Goth so probably Serbia. :coffee:

Odoacer
08-02-2011, 01:33 AM

A complicated question, since the Goths went all over Europe! The Ostrogoths had kingdoms in present-day Ukraine & Belarus, then later in Italy & the Balkans. After losing the Gothic War in the 500s, it seems the remaining Ostrogoths went to Austria, & faded into history. No one in these places, with the exception of the Crimean Goths (who are now extinct) maintained a Gothic identity. The Visigoths evidently emerged in the Balkans (from the Ostrogoths?), sacked Rome, settled in southwestern Gaul, extended into Hispania, then lost their lands in Gaul to the Franks. They eventually consolidated a kingdom across the entire Iberian Peninsula, & a Gothic identity survived particularly in Spain, despite the Moorish conquest. Lastly, it is commonly thought that the Goths originated in what is today Sweden, either in Götaland or Gotland (or perhaps both, if the Geats are thought to be another Gothic tribe).

The Gutes of Gotland in Sweden have a strong claim, but if we grant that, we must nevertheless admit they are not the Goths who went roaming about Europe - they are the ones who stayed home. :) Otherwise, I would have to say that Spain has the strongest claim to Gothic heritage, since Gothic names & legal concepts survived there along with some sense of Gothic identity.