PDA

View Full Version : How can there be more than one haplogroup in one Y chromosome?

Yohussub
06-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Hello, I hope I used the true words. Anyway I would like to ask:
If Y chromosome always comes from the father, then shouldn't there be only one haplogroup in a man? For example one should have only Q or ony R1a.
But there are many, for example in Turkey, people have J2 and others at the same time. How can this happen?

Loki
06-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Hello, I hope I used the true words. Anyway I would like to ask:
If Y chromosome always comes from the father, then shouldn't there be only one haplogroup in a man? For example one should have only Q or ony R1a.

But there are many, for example in Turkey, people have J2 and others at the same time. How can this happen?

No, a man can only have one Y-DNA haplogroup, and one mtDNA haplogroup. It is carried from father to son, and mother to son. You cannot have more than one haplogroup Y-DNA.

Yohussub
06-07-2015, 12:36 PM
No, a man can only have one Y-DNA haplogroup, and one mtDNA haplogroup. It is carried from father to son, and mother to son. You cannot have more than one haplogroup Y-DNA.

Then why do genetic tests find many roots in a single person?

Loki
06-07-2015, 02:09 PM

Where do you get this info from?

Rugevit
06-07-2015, 02:18 PM
There was a single Y-DNA marker initially. But there were also mutations in Y-DNA chromosome throughout human existence. These mutations marking major sub-trees were classified as haplo-groups.

Black Wolf
06-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Like Loki already said a man can only belong to one Y-DNA haplogroup and one mtDNA haplogroup.

Yohussub
06-11-2015, 06:38 PM
I think Simargl explained but when people make genetic tests, the results give many places of ancestry.