PDA

View Full Version : Haplogroups of American members

Proctor
06-12-2015, 05:50 AM
Thought I should make a thread where the American members here post what their haplogroups are to see if we can find any kind of recurrent trend, once enough of us post I can summarize and combine the results from time to time. I think this will prove to be very interesting.

I'll start off -

Y-DNA: I2b1*
Mtdna: V

Sockorer
06-12-2015, 05:54 AM
I think the sample is going to be too small and diverse.

But here it is anyway.

yDNA: I2a1b
mtDNA: J1c3

de Burgh II
07-22-2015, 03:59 AM
Y-DNA: R1b-U106

MtDNA:T2b

Gooding
07-22-2015, 04:01 AM
Y- DNA= I1
MtDNA= K2

de Burgh II
07-22-2015, 04:10 AM
From what I can gather paternally the Y-DNA haplogroup of I is native to Europe that may have Mesolithic roots as with the maternal MtDNA of U as well.

Gooding
07-22-2015, 04:14 AM
Paternal haplogroups are families of Y chromosomes that all trace back to a single mutation at a specific place and time. By looking at the geographic distribution of these related lineages, we learn how our ancient male ancestors migrated throughout the world.
Haplogroup: I1, a subgroup of I
Region: Northern Europe
Example Populations: Finns, Norwegians, Swedes
Highlight: Haplogroup I1 reaches highest frequencies in Scandinavia.
Haplogroup I1 can be found at levels of 10% and higher in many parts of Europe, due to its expansion with men who migrated northward after the end of the Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. It reaches its highest levels in Denmark and the southern parts of Sweden and Norway.

I got that directly out of 23andMe.

Gooding
07-22-2015, 04:17 AM
Maternal haplogroups are families of mitochondrial DNA types that all trace back to a single mutation at a specific place and time. By looking at the geographic distribution of mtDNA types, we learn how our ancient female ancestors migrated throughout the world.
Haplogroup: K, a subgroup of R
Region: Near East, Europe, Central Asia, Northern Africa
Example Populations: Ashkenazi, Druze, Kurds
Highlight: One branch of haplogroup K ties about 1.7 million Ashkenazi Jews living today to a single maternal ancestor.
K split off the more ancient haplogroup U8 about 35,000 years ago. Since then, haplogroup K has been involved in migrations from the Near East into Europe, most notably the founding and expansion of Ashkenazi Jewish populations.

This is also right off of 23andMe.

de Burgh II
07-22-2015, 04:20 AM
Paternal haplogroups are families of Y chromosomes that all trace back to a single mutation at a specific place and time. By looking at the geographic distribution of these related lineages, we learn how our ancient male ancestors migrated throughout the world.
Haplogroup: I1, a subgroup of I
Region: Northern Europe
Example Populations: Finns, Norwegians, Swedes
Highlight: Haplogroup I1 reaches highest frequencies in Scandinavia.
Haplogroup I1 can be found at levels of 10% and higher in many parts of Europe, due to its expansion with men who migrated northward after the end of the Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. It reaches its highest levels in Denmark and the southern parts of Sweden and Norway.

I got that directly out of 23andMe.

I know this site may be cliche since it is heavily utilized for haplogroups here, but it is quite in depth and worth a read in its own right at Eupedia for Europe: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml#UK

Desaix DeBurgh
07-22-2015, 04:24 AM
I think I am going to have my DNA tested next month and I will get my haplogroups but I'm primarily concerned with what European group I cluster with or the closest with. It has to be either Britain (or British isles) or France even though I don't look typically British. The other stuff like what diseases I am prone to is not so important so what is the best test to get for this ? 23andme ?

Gooding
07-22-2015, 04:29 AM
I think I am going to have my DNA tested next month and I will get my haplogroups but I'm primarily concerned with what European group I cluster with or the closest with. It has to be either Britain (or British isles) or France even though I don't look typically British. The other stuff like what diseases I am prone to is not so important so what is the best test to get for this ? 23andme ?

23andMe, absolutely.

Desaix DeBurgh
07-22-2015, 04:32 AM
23andMe, absolutely.

Cool thanks :thumb001:

Gooding
07-22-2015, 04:32 AM
Cool thanks :thumb001:

Any time, man! :thumb001:

de Burgh II
07-22-2015, 04:40 AM

I would recommend 23and me because it has a raw data feature to look at SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) on your autosomal DNA where you can pick selected pieces of your given DNA. I know I made a thread here I little while ago that goes more in details of how intricate it is that is simply a more rudimentary understanding in the grand scheme of genetics: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?176575-Identify-your-genotype-via-SNPs-with-your-raw-data

Ex. Eye color: SNP: Rs4778241 on OCA2 gene:

rs4778241 is part of a haplotype spanning 166kB on chromosome 15, defined by 13 SNPs listed below, found in 97% of all Caucasians with blue eyes. In this haplotype, variations in rs1129038 and rs12913832 are relatively common in Caucasians though rare among other ethnic groups.[PMID 18172690]
The "h-1" haplotype found in homozygous state in 97% of individuals with blue eye color is composed as follows [PMID 18172690]:
Possible genotypes:

Geno Mag Summary
(A;A) usually brown eye color
(A;C) usually brown eye color
(C;C) blue eye color if part of blue eye color haplotype

Ex. My genotype: AC

So in all, these individual SNPs that identify one's allelic frequencies is compared to one's genotype to identify said frequencies for some traits, dispositions, etc. Bear in mind that typically it would take multiple SNPs in one's genotype to be identified for some traits to be expressed such as eye color that varies because its polygenic (controlled by multiple genes). This site lists identified SNPs that they located at also gives you a good idea what the outcome of one's genotype here: http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/SNPedia

de Burgh II
07-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Any time, man! :thumb001:

Here you go MacDonald. :thumb001:

Most K1a4, K1a10, K1b, K1c and K2 subclades are typically European. K1a4 is also common in Anatolia and Greece, and could indeed have spread to the rest of Europe from there during the Neolithic period, along with haplogroups J and T (and Y-DNA haplogroups E1b1b, J2 and T). The Indo-Europeans from Anatolia could also have contributed to the propagation of K. K1a1b1a and K1a9 are found primarily among Ashkenazi Jews.

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml#UK

More info on K mtDNA in depth: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_K_mtDNA.shtml

sql
07-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Y-DNA: J2a1h
mtDNA: H1i