PDA

View Full Version : The EU is now recognised as a state

Sol Invictus
07-19-2010, 07:01 AM
July 16th, 2010 (Telegraph.co.uk (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100047505/the-eu-is-now-recognised-as-a-state-under-international-law/)) -- What constitutes a state? The accepted definition comes in Article One of the 1933 Montevideo Convention on the Rights and Duties of States:

The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications: (a) a permanent population; (b) a defined territory; (c) government; and (d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states.

The EU has qualified for decades on (a), (b) and (c). Now it has ticked the final box. The Lisbon Treaty, which came into effect on 1 December 2009, gave the EU “legal personality”: that is, the right to sign treaties. Now, the EU has been formally recognised (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/7890516/EU-to-be-given-prominent-UN-role.html) by the United Nations. To carry out the foreign policy of the new state, we have a European foreign service (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100047298/brussels-establishes-a-fully-fledged-foreign-office-does-anyone-care/). Taken together, these things surely amount to “capacity to enter into relations with other states”.

Groenewolf
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
So much for this is not gonna bring about a European superstate. Well lets all sing our national anthem. :rolleyes2:

Wod-MudLNPA

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44650000/jpg/_44650673_euflagburningap_226b.jpg

The Lawspeaker
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/eu-flag-burning.jpg

This is my only answer. And this is my flag:

http://www.legermuseum.nl/sites/legermuseum.nl/contents/i000653/beleg9.jpg

And this is my anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU).

Svanhild
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Eurocrats can think of themselves as statesmen. I don't.

Wod-MudLNPA

What a disgrace to use that beautiful hymn of Beethoven for something like the EU. Beethoven moves in his grave.

RoyBatty
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.roomservices.org/EU/eu-flag-color.gif

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Eurocrats can think of themselves as statesmen. I don't.

What a disgrace to use that beautiful hymn of Beethoven for something like the EU. Beethoven moves in his grave.

I've always found that piece to be extremely sinister (probably because of its use in Clockwork Orange), and therefore highly appropriate.

poiuytrewq0987
07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I've always found that piece to be extremely sinister (probably because of its use in Clockwork Orange), and therefore highly appropriate.

I'm sure if he was British, you'd have a different opinion.

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm sure if he was British, you'd have a different opinion.

If he had been British, he wouldn't have written shit like that.

poiuytrewq0987
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Of course, you think that, given your bias.

RoyBatty
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM

He'd have written this instead:

xdCrZfTkG1c

Groenewolf
07-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Looks who is talking.:coffee:

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
He'd have written this instead:

xdCrZfTkG1c

Freddie Mercury wasn't British.

RoyBatty
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Freddie Mercury wasn't British.

According to you perhaps but according to sources that matter, he was British.

The rest of the band were British.

Nice try, no cigar.

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
According to you perhaps but according to sources that matter, he was British.

The rest of the band were British.

Nice try, no cigar.

He was a Zoroastrian Indian. Do you regard such people as British?

RoyBatty
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Would you regard a substantial part of the English population as "British" seeing as they have origins in Europe? At the end of the day, who is "British" and what would the criteria be?

Mercury certainly wasn't English but legally he was British.

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Would you regard a substantial part of the English population as "British" seeing as they have origins in Europe? At the end of the day, who is "British" and what would the criteria be?

Mercury certainly wasn't English but legally he was British.

British is English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. Was he any of those?

Treffie
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM

I lol'd :p

Peasant
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
British is English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. Was he any of those?

He was born in British India. You know, when it was British and that?

I see you didn't list Merican.:cool:

Edit: Bugger, his parents where from British India.:eusa_doh:

Treffie
07-19-2010, 04:39 PM

He was born in Zanzibar ;)

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:39 PM

The Mercians are English - indeed, the true English.

Freddie Mercury - or Farrokh Bulsara, to give him his real name - was an ethnic Parsi.

Hussar
07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm not contrary to a super-state. A sort of european nationalism, ideally.

The problem is that what we have realistically (E.U.) isn't something to admire.

Imo, the most crucial point is that although the progress through the yrs, the E.U. still hasn't an independent politic from USA. It's STILL an entity subordinated to NATO. It's sufficient to be skeptical about EU.

Peasant
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
The Mercians are English - indeed, the true English.

More English than the East Angles?:rolleyes2:

So this EU being a state thing? Does that mean Europe is practically a single country now?:confused:

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
More English than the East Angles?:rolleyes2:

Yes, because East Anglia was settled by the Danes (whereas only eastern Mercia was).

Beorn
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Mercians are all Pakis. And Pakis are certainly not English.

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Mercians are all Pakis. And Pakis are certainly not English.

Well, we have a lot of Pakis in Mercia, dumped on us by the UK ruling elite who didn't want them in their own neighbourhoods - but these aren't Mercians. Mercian independence will allow us to deal with problems like this. But then you were only trying to wind me up... or do you honestly believe what you just said?

Peasant
07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
As a man of the Danelaw, I wan't dibs on East Mercia!

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Don't think so, somehow.

Beorn
07-19-2010, 06:49 PM

How does this suit your fancy? If agreeable we can start discussing the terms for destroying Mercia.

http://imgur.com/fq7p8.png

Liffrea
07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by KEN
I lol'd

I cringed. "Shit" associated with Beethoven (shakes head in disbelief).

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
How does this suit your fancy? If agreeable we can start discussing the terms for destroying Mercia.

We have always been prepared to accomodate the Danish descendants in Mercia. But this sort of attitude will make us think twice.

Wulfhere
07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I cringed. "Shit" associated with Beethoven (shakes head in disbelief).

There's no accounting for taste, but personally I think classical music - with only a couple of exceptions - is a mindless dirge.

Wyn
07-19-2010, 11:51 PM
[...] Mercian independence will allow us to [...]

That is an extremely confident, most likely delusional will.

An independent Mercia, alone or including your Frya-religion and ruling class of priestesses, is not going to happen.

Osweo
07-20-2010, 12:29 AM

Hmmm.... throw in Staffordshire and you've got a deal! :D

By the way,

East Anglia was settled by the Danes (whereas only eastern Mercia was).
Western Mercia is anglicised Wales near enough. :D Your precious 'True Angles' are only left up in Bernicia, near enough. Bow down to your Geordie Gods, Mercian swine!

Curtis24
07-20-2010, 03:19 AM
Eh. What does it really mean? Not much, it seems. National and even regional(see above for the Mercia argument) identity and loyalty is more powerful in Europe than any loyalty to a "greater Europe". Think of how many regionally-based arguments/beefs there have been on this forum. North Europe vs. South Europe, Italian v. Spaniard, etc.

Wulfhere
07-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Hmmm.... throw in Staffordshire and you've got a deal! :D

By the way,

Western Mercia is anglicised Wales near enough. :D Your precious 'True Angles' are only left up in Bernicia, near enough. Bow down to your Geordie Gods, Mercian swine!

Nah, we kept the best Angles in the west Midlands. Geordies are quite clearly Norwegian.

Osweo
07-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Nah, we kept the best Angles in the west Midlands. Geordies are quite clearly Norwegian.
The Wirral, far northwestern Mercia, was settled by Irish Sea Norse, as was all the Northumbrian west coast. Southeastern Northumbria was settled by Danes, and became Yorkshire. Northeastern Northumbria (roughly Northumberland and County Durham, and the Scotch Borders) was settled by neither, and remained proper old English. It still is.

Wulfhere
07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
The Wirral, far northwestern Mercia, was settled by Irish Sea Norse, as was all the Northumbrian west coast. Southeastern Northumbria was settled by Danes, and became Yorkshire. Northeastern Northumbria (roughly Northumberland and County Durham, and the Scotch Borders) was settled by neither, and remained proper old English. It still is.

This cannot be true, regardless of what some armchair academics might tell you. Geordies all sound like Norwegians - it's so blatantly obvious as to be hardly worth commenting on - and the inhabitants of the whole of Northumberland and County Durham sound like Geordies.

The true Angle dialect survives in Brummie and its siblings in the western Midlands.

poiuytrewq0987
07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Angles are from the same place the Jutes and Saxons came from. Your point?

Wulfhere
07-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Angles are from the same place the Jutes and Saxons came from. Your point?

They were adjacent to each other, and all spoke Ingaevonic like the Frisians, but were not from the same place. The Jutes were from Jutland, the Angles from Schleswig-Holstein, and the Saxons from Lower Saxony. I don't understand your point, I'm afraid.

Psychonaut
07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
There's no accounting for taste, but personally I think classical music - with only a couple of exceptions - is a mindless dirge.

This kind of attitude is fundamentally incompatible with European Preservationism! BAN! BAN! BAN!

Seriously though, the lack of appreciation for the greatest cultural achievements of our peoples is one of the reasons that I am most personally disturbed by the current phase of our decline. I can hardly imagine the interior of a soul that does not find ecstasy betwixt the contrapuntal melodies of Bach. :(

Wulfhere
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
This kind of attitude is fundamentally incompatible with European Preservationism! BAN! BAN! BAN!

Seriously though, the lack of appreciation for the greatest cultural achievements of our peoples is one of the reasons that I am most personally disturbed by the current phase of our decline. I can hardly imagine the interior of a soul that does not find ecstasy betwixt the contrapuntal melodies of Bach. :(

And I can hardly imagine one that does. Classical music is crap, and in my opinion people only convnce themselves to like it because they're told it's "high" culture, and to not do so shows ignorance. But this really is a case of the emperor's new clothes, I'm afraid. Offhand I can only think of three classical pieces I can bear listening to - Purcell's Funeral March of Queen Mary (also featured on Clockwork Orange), Holst's Jupiter, and Parry's Jerusalem. All, not coincidentally, British. All that European stuff really is a dirge, and I would rather sit and watch paint dry. I do love music of course - well, some music - but that sort of stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Liffrea
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wulfhere
Geordies all sound like Norwegians

It has been argued, I believe by Melvyn Bragg, that northern dialects such as Scouser, Geordie and Yorkshire are developed from the Old Norse spoken in those areas, I have no idea as to how reliable that is but, of course, northern and eastern English dialects were more penetrated by Old Norse.

The Jutes were from Jutland

Debatable, the Rhine estuary is another possibility.

and in my opinion people only convnce themselves to like it because they're told it's "high" culture, and to not do so shows ignorance.

Social climbers perhaps and those who seek refinement and knowledge because they wish to appear as intellectual, true appreciators of art (and classical music is art) simply don’t fall into that category. I could go into why classical music is elitist, why it should remain elitist (it will anyway), why it is meant for a certain type of soul, but I suspect there wouldn’t be much point, you either see it or you don’t.

Osweo
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
It has been argued, I believe by Melvyn Bragg, that northern dialects such as Scouser, Geordie and Yorkshire are developed from the Old Norse spoken in those areas, I have no idea as to how reliable that is but, of course, northern and eastern English dialects were more penetrated by Old Norse.
Good Gods.... Geordie is singularly lacking in Scandinavianisms! The region of Bernicia was a rump of the Northumbrian Kingdom, hence the retention of the name 'Northumberland' for this rather embarrassingly stunted remainder.

Hmm.... Proof.... Lancaster vs Lanchester. The Norse settlers caused the C to harden, to match their K. Uninfluenced English saw it slip into CH. In fact, any placenames with CH are signs of English survival and absence of serious Norse settlement. And up there in the North East, we have Chesters, Binchester, Chester le Street, Chillingham, etc. Blackburnshire and Salfordshire are the same, hence Manchester instead of *Mancaster, Goldshaw instead of *Goldscough.

Even in Yorkshire, there seems to have been less Danish settlement around Teesside, hence the Middlesbrough accent.

Lancashire is quite divided on this score. There's a real dialecto-cultural divide once I emerge from the Irwell basin to visit the coastal strip round Ormskirk and so on.

Social climbers perhaps and those who seek refinement and knowledge because they wish to appear as intellectual, true appreciators of art (and classical music is art) simply don’t fall into that category. I could go into why classical music is elitist, why it should remain elitist (it will anyway), why it is meant for a certain type of soul, but I suspect there wouldn’t be much point, you either see it or you don’t.
I hope Wulfhere is just doing his accustommed trolling here. :( My Grandad (a Geordie incidentally) was a rag and bone man and about all I've inherited from him materially is his collection of Classical LPs. His favourite was Puccini's La Boheme...

Treffie
07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Good Gods.... Geordie is singularly lacking in Scandinavianisms! The region of Bernicia was a rump of the Northumbrian Kingdom, hence the retention of the name 'Northumberland' for this rather embarrassingly stunted remainder.

If anything, I think the Geordie accent sounds closer to Welsh than the other ones. The way that some vowels are rounded, intonation etc.

Liffrea
07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Osweo
I hope Wulfhere is just doing his accustommed trolling here.

The impression I have of Wulfhere is that he is deadly serious in what he writes, which is a virtue of sorts.

My Grandad (a Geordie incidentally) was a rag and bone man and about all I've inherited from him materially is his collection of Classical LPs. His favourite was Puccini's La Boheme...

Elitism isn’t necessarily defined by social class, wealth, or occupation (though I would add that it often is an indicator, I believe in breeding up to a point, though of course there are “accidents”, I don’t equate it either with snobbery or other infantile manifestations, quality speaks for itself). I’m probably one of the few true believers in class, hierarchy and elitism in that I am not (and never will be either) part of the elite, my folks are working class through and through, you might take the man out of the council estate but you will never wholly take the council estate out of the man. For someone of my standing it is glimpsing shadows of a greater something that you know to be there but will never quite understand.

RoyBatty
07-21-2010, 04:05 PM

But look on the bright side. Wulfie isn't really one of "our peoples". :thumb001:

Baron Samedi
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM

It seriously isn't that orgasmic..... AND I'm saying this as a musician who is, in fact, learning something on his spare time about music theory.

Psychonaut
07-21-2010, 11:18 PM
It seriously isn't that orgasmic..... AND I'm saying this as a musician who is, in fact, learning something on his spare time about music theory.

If you don't have an orgasm while listening to this song...then I think your musical testicles might be nonexistent!

7Iel0oKwgSs

vclkgxIux9g

Wulfhere
07-21-2010, 11:29 PM
If you don't have an orgasm while listening to this song...then I think your musical testicles might be nonexistent!

Shite.