PDA

View Full Version : If you are sitting, FOR GOD'S SAKE, STAND UP! It could save your life.

Marusya
06-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Ok, all you desk jockeys, I'm here to tell you to throw out your chairs. Stand up proud and erect before your internet devices! You will thank me later because you will be alive and not dead.

If you work at a desk, you should get up on your feet for at least two hours a day to avoid the serious health consequences of prolonged sitting, a panel of scientists has recommended.

The average office worker sits for 10 hours a day, then heads home to spend the evening glued to a television or computer screen. A growing body of research has found that hours of sitting triggers a destructive chain reaction in the body, slowing metabolism, altering hormones, raising cholesterol, and weakening muscles; over time, the result is heightened risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, weight gain, cancer, and a shortened life.

Scientists say, in fact, that prolonged sitting does as much health damage as smoking cigarettes. And the negative effects of eight to 10 hours at a desk can’t be undone by exercising before or afterward. But British researchers have found that getting up for short breaks throughout the day can protect desk jockeys’ bodies from the effects of sitting. Researcher Gavin Bradley tells The Washington Post that the key is to avoid sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time. He advises “taking your calls standing; walking around; pacing; holding standing meetings; walking over to a colleague’s desk instead of sending an email; using the stairs instead of the elevator.” Eventually, Bradley says, people should aim to increase their standing time from two to four hours. “However you do it, the point is to just get off your rear end.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUEl8KrMz14

Proctor
06-18-2015, 08:08 PM
My trade requires me to stand for long periods of time so I guess that's one good thing about it

Marusya
06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
This school in California removed all the chairs and the students now stand. Standing desks will be the wave of the future, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWPDOMpfio

jute
06-18-2015, 08:45 PM
My great grandfather was a chain smoker, alcoholic who devoted his time to sitting on the couch eating fatty foods. He was still going in his 90's so I'm taking my chances!

Marusya
06-18-2015, 09:04 PM
My great grandfather was a chain smoker, alcoholic who devoted his time to sitting on the couch eating fatty foods. He was still going in his 90's so I'm taking my chances!

What was the QUALITY of his life, though? I hear stories like this all the time about someone's supposedly unhealthy relative who lived a long life. I always wonder, "BUT, were these people actually enjoying themselves or were they just subsisting?"

My Uncle Peter lived to 100. He gave up his Slavic ways, basically. ;) When he was 30 years old, he quit drinking vodka, started eating only healthy food, and walked 3 hours every day. The day he died he was on one of his hour long walks. He sat on a bench in the park to rest for a moment and died. He had a beautiful, happy life and marriage right up to the end. His wife lived the same lifestyle and lived to 98. They lived in California, and grew their own healthy foods. I'd rather live and die like this, then on a couch eating Taco Bell, with cigarette butts and beer bottles surrounding me, probably hacking up phlegm, unable to breathe and smelling awful.

Marusya
06-18-2015, 09:19 PM
This was my Uncle Peter and Aunt Martha's prescription for living. There were copies of this at both their funerals.

1. Fresh Air
2. Sunshine
3. Abstemiousness
4. Rest
5. Exercise
6. Water
7. Nutrition
8. Trust in Divine Power

Aviator
06-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Only need to make it long enough for aging to be cured.

Valmont
06-18-2015, 09:29 PM
The only time I spend sitting is when I'm driving. I have very little time to sit at my job and I love to walk around when I brainstorm.

jute
06-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I don't feel that I can speak for others in terms of how they should live their life. Quality of life is rather subjective, isn't it? I think my great greatfather had a fairly good life. He liked his drink, he liked his cigarettes. I was simply using it as an extreme example to go against these kind of articles which I find utterly useless, because according to them everything is technically unhealthy. I don't buy into it, it's overexaggerated to cause interest - hence the smoking remark had to be added. I don't deny that sitting can be bad if excessive. Someone who sits for hours and hours without standing is obviously going to obstruct the bloodflow badly and cause his entire body issues, I doubt anyone questions that.

And no, I don't live the way my great grandfather did or have intentions of doing so.

I liked the story of your uncle though, sounds like him and his wife were happy with their choices.

alpha
06-18-2015, 09:46 PM
This school in California removed all the chairs and the students now stand. Standing desks will be the wave of the future, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWPDOMpfio

Then they'll need chairs because they will have been standing for too long.

Marusya
06-18-2015, 09:50 PM
I don't feel that I can speak for others in terms of how they should live their life. Quality of life is rather subjective, isn't it? I think my great greatfather had a fairly good life. He liked his drink, he liked his cigarettes. I was simply using it as an extreme example to go against these kind of articles which I find utterly useless, because according to them everything is technically unhealthy. I don't buy into it, it's overexaggerated to cause interest - hence the smoking remark had to be added. I don't deny that sitting can be bad if excessive. Someone who sits for hours and hours without standing is obviously going to obstruct the bloodflow badly and cause his entire body issues, I doubt anyone questions that.

And no, I don't live the way my great grandfather did or have intentions of doing so.

I liked the story of your uncle though, sounds like him and his wife were happy with their choices.

My Ukrainian grandfather lived a long life, but his health was so terrible at the end from a life of smoking and drinking vodka, that he wasn't able to enjoy the last 15 years of his life in full measure. All he could do was watch television because even walking was a hardship due to compromised lung function.

jute
06-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Then they'll need chairs because they will have been standing for too long.

Soon there'll be an article about why excessive standing is bad. In the near future we'll perhaps get a "sitting timer" for people so they can neurotically watch the digital timer for when they ought to stand up and shake about. If they don't do it it will have an ejector built in to the chair that's gonna fire up their arse. I should really get into corporate marketing...

Jackson
06-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Standing height desks would be nice, or adjustable ones, so you can do like an hour of each in rotation or something like that. I've gone from doing a lot of sitting most of the day to doing a lot of standing (but sitting mainly in the evenings) and i can tell my circulation has improved. I used to regularly get cold hands and feet and now i rarely get that.

Nevertheless, it's not something worth panicking over but rather making measured changes to lifestyle. Probably some people will be thinking they might sit themselves to death but that would take a while.

щрбл
06-18-2015, 09:56 PM
I don't sit, I squat.

Rædwald
06-18-2015, 09:58 PM

So about 15-20 years or so. :thumb001:

Highlands
06-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Good advice :laugh: .

I also highly recommend going cycling.

Marusya
06-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't sit, I squat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3holG7M7I

Aviator
06-18-2015, 10:26 PM
So about 15-20 years or so. :thumb001:

That optimistic, eh!? Let's hope so :D

Rædwald
06-18-2015, 10:35 PM
That optimistic, eh!? Let's hope so :D

No sense in being too pessimistic that stuff leads to cancer :p

Proctor
06-19-2015, 02:14 AM
My Uncle Peter lived to 100. He gave up his Slavic ways, basically. ;) When he was 30 years old, he quit drinking vodka, started eating only healthy food, and walked 3 hours every day. The day he died he was on one of his hour long walks. He sat on a bench in the park to rest for a moment and died. He had a beautiful, happy life and marriage right up to the end. His wife lived the same lifestyle and lived to 98.

This actually seems like a really nice way to die, I hope I can die as peacefully and content as that.

Proctor
06-19-2015, 02:23 AM

I hope a live long enough to see that point, I'm also going to be saving a lot until then so I can actually afford it when treatments come out for it. It will almost certainly pertain to epigenetics and telomere length. There is also transhumanism that can be utilized in combination with some sort of anti-aging therapy.