PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry of Friend

BiałaZemsta
07-20-2010, 03:07 AM
My friend was adopted and does not know what country his ancestors were from. He took a DNA test from DNA tribes and they suggest that he is probably German. Based off of his phenotype, how accurate do you think that test is? Does his phenotype fit their prediction made using his DNA? Here is a picture:

Curtis24
07-20-2010, 03:25 AM
To my untrained eye, he looks Eastern European or Russian. He resembles some of those composites that someone posted.

The Khagan
07-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Central is quite plausible. But he looks more Eastern than Western.

BiałaZemsta
07-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Central is quite plausible. But he looks more Eastern than Western.

Are the terms central, eastern, and western in regards to Germany, or all of Europe?

nisse
07-20-2010, 03:46 AM
To my untrained eye, he looks Eastern European or Russian. He resembles some of those composites that someone posted.

I agree with the Eastern European, but I would say Polish.

BiałaZemsta
07-20-2010, 04:02 AM
I agree that he looks more Polish than German. Is it possible for one to have a phenotype that isn't represented by DNA? Or the DNA test is wrong..?

nisse
07-20-2010, 04:14 AM
I agree that he looks more Polish than German. Is it possible for one to have a phenotype that isn't represented by DNA? Or the DNA test is wrong..?

The genotype-phenotype link is not well established, especially for traits as complex as craneofacial formation. The DNA test is not wrong, and it's impossible to have a phenotype not described by DNA (barring trauma)...we're just really bad at interpreting DNA test results ;) :D