PDA

View Full Version : Armenia hosts NATO Conference

Musso
06-20-2015, 05:46 PM
One of the successes of our foreign policy has been the ability to hold this multi-vectored strategic and foreign policy. While we are close military allies with Russia, since they give us much needed security, we contribute a lot to NATO missions, and also hold NATO as an important part of a strategic strategy. It is important in this day to not make black and white decisions, and try as much as possible to diversify your relations.

---

Rose-Roth: Yerevan hosting NATO seminar amid Russia-West standoff

A three-day seminar of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly called Rose-Roth got underway in Yerevan, Armenia, on Thursday. It is being held under the theme “Security and Stability in the South Caucasus: Promoting Long-Term Peace in the Region.”

This is the third such seminar held in Armenia, however, it differs from the previous ones by the backdrop against which it is being held. It includes a heightened confrontation between the West and Russia. The South Caucasus is known to be one of the “objects” of confrontation. And influence in the region is determined by those who ensure its security.

Despite the fact that Armenia is a member of the Russian-led defense pact, Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), it maintains close ties with NATO. This position does not enjoy Russia’s approval, however, as Armenian Minister of Defense Seyran Ohanyan says, Armenia can become a bridge between NATO and the CSTO.

It is noteworthy that while the opening session of the NATO seminar was in progress in Yerevan, in Moscow CSTO Secretary General Nikolay Bordyuzha was holding a press conference, including a Skype conference with journalists in Armenia. He noted that in the case of aggravation of the situation Armenia has the right to receive the necessary assistance from the CSTO. And Bordyuzha stated that by Russia sells weapons to Azerbaijan proceeding from the principle of parity.

Analysts have interpreted these statements by Bordyuzha as Russia’s bid to have a monopoly right on security in Armenia and Azerbaijan. Meanwhile, neighboring Georgia has just signed with France a major contract on the supply of missile defense systems. And Azerbaijan is trying to keep a neutral position, moving further away from the West.

It is also remarkable that the NATO seminar in Yerevan is also discussing the threat of the Islamic State for the Middle East and their neighbors. The same subject was also addressed during the press conference of Bordyuzha, who said that the CSTO is considering this issue from the perspective of increased recruitment of CIS citizens to ISIS. “Two or three thousand people are a force that could be used to destabilize the situation in our countries,” Bordyuzha said.

At the same time, during the Yerevan seminar of NATO, Defense Minister Ohanyan said that NATO should play a clear role in precluding threats for the South Caucasus emanating from outside the region. According to him, the Alliance is expected to show a balanced approach towards the countries of the region, especially in relation to the conflicting parties.

In this regard, Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian noted that Yerevan appreciates the assistance provided by NATO to the mediatory mission of the OSCE, which is aimed exclusively at a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict. “However, unacceptable are separate wordings that do not correspond to the position of the OSCE Minsk Group, which are found in some documents of NATO,” Nalbandian said.

The minister was apparently referring to the constant references by NATO exclusively to the principle of territorial integrity of nations, although the proposals of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs refer to the equality of the three principles of international law – territorial integrity, self-determination of peoples and non-use of force.

---

Armenia Building Multi-Vector Security System, Says Defense Minister

(YEREVAN)—Taking into consideration the challenges it faces, Armenia is building a multi-vector security system, Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan said at NATO’s Rose Roth seminar in Yerevan.

Aside from traditional threats, the Minister pointed to rapidly aggravating challenges, such as trans-national terrorism and radicalism, which are “knocking on the door of the South Caucasus.”

“In a short period of time the so-called Islamic State has managed to expand the area under its control and continues to stretch in different directions, automatically challenging the South Caucasus, as two of the latter’s neighbors—Turkey and Iran—are in some ways involved in the developments around ISIS,” the Defense Minister said.

“Being a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization, Armenia actively cooperates with NATO and its member states, and views relations with NATO as an indispensable part of its security system,” Ohanyan said.

Ohanyan also noted that “Armenia is the only CSTO member state and the only strategic ally of Russia that has been actively involved in NATO-led peacekeeping missions.”

Speaking about NATO’s role in ensuring security in the region, Ohanyan said that “being the guarantor of security in the Euro-Atlantic area, NATO should play a distinct role in defending the South Caucasus from outer challenges and support negotiations on conflict settlement in different formats.”

“NATO’s involvement in the region should be targeted against challenges faced by all countries in the region, irrespective of the collective security systems they have chosen to join,” he added.

Musso
06-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Let me add, that Armenia is one of last remaining Christian strongholds in Western Asia. Even Georgia's Muslim minority is increasing very fast. As a Christian stronghold in Western Asia and the Middle East,,,the West should recognize the importance of Armenia's security in light of all upheaval and Islamic State.

sql
06-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Interesting, I hope all goes well there. I remember when the NATO summit was hosted in my city of Chicago a few years back, there were massive demonstrations.

Äijä
06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Let me add, that Armenia is one of last remaining Christian strongholds in Western Asia. Even Georgia's Muslim minority is increasing very fast. As a Christian stronghold in Western Asia and the Middle East,,,the West should recognize the importance of Armenia's security in light of all upheaval and Islamic State.

You have such a big diaspora that you will get the support around the West if it comes to that.

DarkSecret
06-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Wtf... You are not even a member and Russians will not be happy about this. Are you crazy?

Linebacker
06-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Isn't Armenia in bed with Russia and all?

It sounds great if you are deflecting from them and joining us,Im just unfamiliar with Armenia's alignment.

sql
06-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Wtf... You are not even a member and Russians will not be happy about this. Are you crazy?

I don't think Turkey is happy either.

DarkSecret
06-20-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't think Turkey is happy either.

If that's a message to Turkey I would consider it stupid because making Russians mad is not so wise.

Musso
06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Interesting, I hope all goes well there. I remember when the NATO summit was hosted in my city of Chicago a few years back, there were massive demonstrations.

Yeah,,but this is a more low key NATO conference. The one in Chicago was the annual summit.

You have such a big diaspora that you will get the support around the West if it comes to that.

The strong diaspora in Europe and the US surely helps with ties. Without a doubt.

We are a member of NATO's Partnership for Peace, and have troops in Afghanistan and Kosovo. Russia knows we don't plan on joining NATO, that is the key for them.

Isn't Armenia in bed with Russia and all?

It sounds great if you are deflecting from them and joining us,Im just unfamiliar with Armenia's alignment.

No we are not joining the NATO side, we have always tried to diversify our relations as much as possible. We don't want to be solely in Russia's camp in every issue. It's always good to have alternative. Georgia for example is firmly in the West's camp, but rejects any cooperation with Russia. We try as much as possible to have cooperation with both West and Russia, but if we are forced to choose, we would choose Russia, because they are our closest military and economic ally.

Infinite
06-20-2015, 08:13 PM

lapdog post

Musso
06-20-2015, 09:20 PM
lapdog post

It's a fact. Armenia is one of the only stable, Christian, democracies in Western Asia. We continue as one of the oldest cultures, the oldest national church, as the first nation that adopted Christianity.