PDA

View Full Version : Cumbric language

Liffrea
07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Something I found on another site:

Cumbric language

Evolution and Extinction

Cumbric was the Brythonic Celtic language centred in Cumbria, and spoken from lowland Scotland south to Derbyshire until about the 11th century. Cumbric was once referred to as North Welsh and Cornish as South Welsh.

The distinction of the Old Brittonic dialects into separate languages begins in about the 5th century, and Cumbric was most likely dead by the 11th century(though extinction dates as late as the 13th century have been suggested) However, in this time, it is possible that it was moving further away from Welsh grammatically, and developing as a distinct, non-intelligible tongue. It is possible that at its height, Cumbric was spoken by around 30,000 people.

The biggest problems with modern-day knowledge of the language lies with the fact that the language may have been merely a dialect of Welsh, not distinct at all. The old northern British kingdoms of Rheged and Gododdin spoke Old Welsh, but given time, many linguists consider that this tongue was distinguishable from Old Welsh at the time of its demise.

Linguistic Evidence

Although the language is long extinct it appears traces of its vocabulary persisted into the modern era. In the 19th and 20th centuries sheep counts and children's counting rhymes which are possibly derived from Cumbric were collected throughout northern England: eg Yan, Tan, Tethera, Methera, Pim compared to Old Welsh "Un, Dou, Tri, Petwar, Pimp".

More concrete evidence of Cumbric exists in the place-names of the extreme northwest of England and the South of Scotland, the personal names of Strathclyde Britons in Scottish, Irish and Anglo-Saxon sources,and couple of Cumbric words surviving into the mid-Middle Ages in South West Scotland as legal terms.

Much of the origin and character of the Cumbric language remain a mystery. Apart from several insignificant Latin observational texts and place names, the language is today undocumented. What is known is that the language was Brythonic Insular Celtic, most likely descended from Old North Welsh, related to the presumed Brythonic Pictish language, and progressively more distantly, to Cornish. Due to its location, words of Gaelic and Scandinavian origin may have enriched the language.

Reconstructions

Reconstructed cognates in the language only number around 50, and the Celtic Culture of Northwest England has long since been forgotten. Despite this, several forms of "Revived" Cumbric are in their infancies. One is noted to be very similar to Old Welsh, while the other re-creates a hypothetical, distinct language representing what the language may have been like today had it never died out. The internet will no doubt provide a valuable resource for the "revival" of these languages.

A comment:

Just what is the evidence for the survival of Cumric in Derbyshire until the 11th century?

Are there any written sources that can be verified? I came across a reference to landowners in North Derbyshire being identified as Welsh /Cumbric speakers in doomsday book, but the facsimile I have of the Doomsday makes no such mention I can identify. Are there other sources?
Place name evidence does suggest some sort of survival Crich, Pentrich, Derwent, Dove, Mam Tor, Ecclesbourne, Axe Edge, Goyt are all derbyshire place and rivernames with a celtic lingual connection but is there anything more?

Quite fascinating, Dove Dale is one of my favourite parts of Derbyshire and Dove means "black" or "dark" in Old Welsh.

Treffie
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Just what is the evidence for the survival of Cumric in Derbyshire until the 11th century?

Are there any written sources that can be verified? I came across a reference to landowners in North Derbyshire being identified as Welsh /Cumbric speakers in doomsday book, but the facsimile I have of the Doomsday makes no such mention I can identify. Are there other sources?
Place name evidence does suggest some sort of survival Crich, Pentrich, Derwent, Dove, Mam Tor, Ecclesbourne, Axe Edge, Goyt are all derbyshire place and rivernames with a celtic lingual connection but is there anything more?

Quite fascinating, Dove Dale is one of my favourite parts of Derbyshire and Dove means "black" or "dark" in Old Welsh.

Not sure what Goyt means in Derbyshire, but we have a place named Goytre nr Port Talbot, which means `town in the woods.`

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Goytre_in_2005.jpg

I wonder if the Derby Welsh Learners Circle (http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=34174)can shed any light on it?

Liffrea
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Derby Welsh Learners Circle! Bugger me I didn't know such a thing existed.

There are a lot of Welsh name survivals in Derbyshire, particularly around the River Derwent. I might see if those folks have any info.:)

woolie
08-27-2010, 05:41 PM
A Cumbric Revival group was founded in 2009, has the language been revived?Non mentiion on the web of any recent developments although Leeds Met Uni now have a 'Northern Studies' course.

Liffrea
08-27-2010, 06:29 PM
A Google search mentions a site on facebook, I don't use facebook so I don't know if it is still operating...

Beorn
08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=91716548372&ref=search#!/group.php?gid=91716548372&v=info&ref=search

woolie
08-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Apparently from internet chatter a Cumbric Dictionary has been published this year. Dont know if its legitimate or where it can be obtained.

Osweo
09-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Not sure what Goyt means in Derbyshire, but we have a place named Goytre nr Port Talbot, which means `town in the woods.`

There's a second Goyt up near Bolton. Your example is unrelated, as the unlenited form of the word in it usually ended up as 'chet' in our region.

I believe Goyt has been linked to words for 'vein' and the like...

Ekwall just gave this, however; M.E. gote "water-course, stream." :shrug:

Loddfafner
09-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Has any Cumbric survived besides Eeeny-meeny miney mo and Hickory Dickory Dock? Or am I drunkenly mixing things up?

Guapo
09-04-2010, 04:17 AM
bBlrPqmAQx0

Liffrea
09-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Loddfafner
Has any Cumbric survived besides Eeeny-meeny miney mo and Hickory Dickory Dock? Or am I drunkenly mixing things up?

Depends really, the whole question of the Celtic impact on English has been reviewed in recent years, the traditional theory of half a dozen loan words and nought else would seem to be simplistic.

The link below provides a good example of how certain words and phrases are pronounced by older folks in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire.

http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=1605

How many of these can be traced back to Cumbric I don't know, the Norse impact was pretty strong in this area but, presumably, if any old words from the Celtic survived the uplands of the Peak District would be the place to look.

Osweo
09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I believe Goyt has been linked to words for 'vein' and the like...

Ekwall just gave this, however; M.E. gote "water-course, stream." :shrug:
Ah, here we are;
Welsh gwyth channel Old Cornish guid vein, Breton Goeth
:thumb001:

There are the three famous words from the 12th Century 'Leges inter Brettos et Scottos' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leges_inter_Brettos_et_Scottos); galnes, kelchin and merchet, that I'm surprised are not listed on the relevant Cumbric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbric)wiki page.

Anyway, though, I don't see the differences sufficient to mark the language of my 'Old North' ancestors as particularly different enough from Welsh to justify getting excited about 'reconstruction'. 'Standard' Archaic Welsh is quite close enough, if anyone's that intent on learning it as a hobby. North Wales did after all receive immensely significant immigration from these areas, especially of the learned class of bards.

Albion
08-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Blencathra, Cumbria. This is apparently equivalent to blaen cadair or potentially blaen cythraul = "devil's peak". The mountain actually looks like a huge seat from the south. The second element may be Gaelic cathrach, the genitive singular of cathair "chair".
Bryn, Lancs. bryn, meaning hill.
Caerlaverock, In the Welsh language, caer means "fortress", "fort" or "citadel"/"castle" and in Scots laverock means "skylark", so we may have here a "Castle of the Lark"; alternatively, the second element may be the Welsh personal name Lifarch (later Llywarch).[10][24]
Cardonald, Glasgow. "Donald's Fort" (*Caer Dyfnwal). In Cumbric, *cair can mean a fortified farm and does not necessarily signify such a grand place as a Welsh caer, being more similar in usage to Breton "ker"[3][19]
Carlisle, recorded as Luguvalium in the Roman period, the word caer "fort" was added later. The Welsh form Caerliwelydd is derived by regular sound changes from the Romano-British name.
Chevin, Otley West Yorkshire. Otley Chevin forms one side of the Wharfe valley. Chevin is similar to the Welsh term "cefn" meaning a ridge.
Culcheth, Cheshire. Cul coed = "Narrow Wood"[19]
Culgaith, Cumbria. Cul coed = "Narrow Wood"
Cumdivock, Cumbria. Cwm Dyfog – the second element possibly a personal name or a nickname referring to the dark coloured tarn (now drained)
Dunragit, Wigtownshire. "Din Rheged" = "the fort of Rheged". Though it could also be "Din rhag coed" a fort built against a wood.
Glasgow, Scotland. From words equivalent to Welsh Glas gau[10](green hollow – possibly that below Glasgow Cathedral)[26]
Hailes, Lothian. From a word similar to Cornish hal — a moor. Also found at Haile near Egremont Cumbria.
Helvellyn, Cumbria. Whaley cites Coates view that this represents "hal velyn" = "yellow moor".[27]
Ince, three places Lancashire/Cheshire. Meaning 'island', equivalent to Welsh ynys.[28]
Lanark, Lanarkshire. A grove similar to Welsh llannerch.[10]
Lindow, Cheshire. llyn du giving the translation 'black lake' (possibly meaning a bog)
Linlithgow, West Lothian. Llyn llaith cau, 'Loch in the moist hollow'
Melrose, Roxburghshire. Moel Rhos, 'bare moor'
Niddrie, Edinburgh. Newydd-dre meaning 'new town'[10]
Pendle, Lancashire. 'pen' is 'hill', mixed with the Old English word hyll, also meaning hill.[25]
Penicuik, Midlothian. Pen Y Cog, 'Hill of the Cuckoo'
Penketh, Cheshire. Welsh: pen coed meaning 'wooded hill'.[25]
Penrith, Cumbria. From Pen rhudd meaning 'red hill', or possibly "pen rhyd" meaning 'head of a ford': Red Pike is the modern name of the hill above the town, but there is no ford at the town.[25]
Penruddock, Cumbria. The first element is pen "head, chief" but both Ekwall and Mills decline to offer an etymology for the second. It may be a derivative of rhudd "red", an area exists between Penrith and Penruddock still called 'Redhills'.
Pen-y-Ghent, Yorks. From *pen meaning 'head' or 'hill' and ghent, possibly equivalent to Welsh caint[25] or to Welsh gwynt, thus either 'Hill on the Border' or 'Hill of The Winds'
Renfrew, Renfrewshire. As in the Welsh rhyn-ffrwd — a torrent by narrows.
Rochdale, Greater Manchester. This comes from the name of the river 'Roch', which it has been said also comes from the name of the kingdom Rheged, or possibly the words rhag coed meaning "by the forest". Dalr is Old Norse for valley, meaning 'valley of the Roch'.
Treales, Lancs. This comes from tre (settlement) and llys (court).
Tranent, Lothian. Tre means settlement. The word nant (plural nentydd) in Welsh means a stream. In Brittonic it meant a steep sided valley and it keeps this meaning in Cornish and Breton. However, other place name evidence suggests that Cumbric used the word nant like Welsh and so Tranent means 'farm by the streams'.[10]
Tulketh, Lancs. This probably comes from the words twll coed (wood), meaning 'wood with a hole'.[25]
Skiddaw, Cumbria. Mountain that's name may be of Cumbric origin.

Cheshire is between the North and Welsh Marches. A few of those in Western Cheshire and Wirral are probably just Welsh. Welsh may have extended much further east in the past. Cumbric is supposed to have formed when the two languages were separated.
All of them apart from Lindow are in Western Cheshire which is the marches with Wales. Lindow could be Cumbric, the others are just as likely to be Welsh though.

Albion
08-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Most of the Cumbric revivals seem to have stopped. There just isn't really enough there to reconstruct it. Since it was mutually intelligible with Old Welsh it would probably be just as good to learn Modern Welsh and add a few characteristics from Cumbric to create a dialect.
I don't think many in the NW will want to learn Welsh though, only a few people out of interest I suppose.