PDA

View Full Version : Old Believers: Sectarian Russian Orthodox Church in Canada

Aemma
07-22-2010, 01:20 AM
A documentary on the Old Believers community in Canada. (Thanks for that discussion of a while ago, Ossi. :))

VdXxHqbtfYk

F4cOnVb-NrE

UMejC7tt6i0

XGBZUoXWqhU

KSG4D7srqGg

MLw9awybhL4

Bloodeagle
07-22-2010, 02:47 AM
I was not aware of the old believer community in Canada.
I have many friends who are old believers here in Alaska.

They are good people.:)

Aemma
07-22-2010, 03:01 AM
I was not aware of the old believer community in Canada.
I have many friends who are old believers here in Alaska.

They are good people.:)

:) Here this one's for you, Eburos:

96PdjClRFho

Wyn
07-22-2010, 03:11 AM
I remember watching that documentary and reading about them some time ago. They seem to have departed significantly even from traditional Eastern Orthodox beliefs.

Bloodeagle
07-22-2010, 03:41 AM
:) Here this one's for you, Eburos:

96PdjClRFho

Many of the Alaskan Old Believers moved here from Woodburn, Oregon in the early 70's.
They do have some funny habits.
They are not allowed to eat from dishes or silverware that has touched the lips of non believers, so you will never find them at restaurants. They are fond of fast food because the packaging allows them to circumvent this custom.

The women wear traditional clothing in public but very few of the men do unless they are in the village.

They are a very hard working bunch. They specialize in the construction trades and commercial fishing.

Aemma
07-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Many of the Alaskan Old Believers moved here from Woodburn, Oregon in the early 70's.
They do have some funny habits.
They are not allowed to eat from dishes or silverware that has touched the lips of non believers, so you will never find them at restaurants. They are fond of fast food because the packaging allows them to circumvent this custom.

The women wear traditional clothing in public but very few of the men do unless they are in the village.

They are a very hard working bunch. They specialize in the construction trades and commercial fishing.

Who would have known that all of those styrofoam containers that McDonald's use to put its food into could appear to some as Divinely inspired dishware that could allow one to eat with pagan friends? :) How wonderful! :)